Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
drat it. I missed out on a deal by two hours​. Coworker is going overseas and wants to sell his bike fast. Tell me why this wasn't a good deal so I feel better.

2004 Yamaha V Star 1100 with 5K miles, includes hard bags, for $1,000. Needs a battery and carbs which I am comfortable doing myself. (sitting in a garage for a year and a half)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I mean I don't specifically desire a V Star, but I'd happily ride it for a season or two and resell it.

Oh well. I'm first in line if the sale falls through.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

Boulevard S40 / Savage 650.

Only if you're short. Maybe if you're on the shorter end of normal.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I dunno, I had one years ago and felt pretty goofy on it for anything over 150 miles or so. Different builds I guess.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
You're making me miss my old blue 500. Hope you snag it.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

That rules, do they do this every two years?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Cool, thanks. Yeah the FZ09 would be the one I'd be most interested in too. Just got my FZ8 this winter though so in no rush to upgrade.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I have made a handshake deal to buy this bike. He's going to sort out the turn signals and mirrors, and then some papers will change hands.

What kind of dumbass buys a motorcycle in November in the PNW? This kind of dumbass!

This is the best time of year to get deals on used bikes. I bought my FZ8 last December in Pennsylvania.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Slavvy posted:

I have only ever sold bikes online and have literally never lost money even on the few where it looked like I'd crash and burn badly, so here's some serious advice on how to flick a shitter:

Pretty much everything hinges on the photos in your listing, your description and your pricing as these do the bulk of the work in filtering out the morons and attracting serious buyers. Take good pictures.

By good pictures I mean get a hold of a DSLR with a long distance/portrait lens or something similar so you can take a few really pretty magazine style shots with competent framing. Give the bike a super anal retentive clean beforehand, use favorable lighting conditions. Only take 3-4 pictures, a few really good pics works much much better than twenty lovely ones. A smart phone can work in a pinch but you have to be more creative with angles etc. Don't take pictures of tires, instruments, other close up bullshit; it's just more chances for people to spot imperfections. Your want pretty distance shots that look inviting and make people want to look at the bike in person. Keep the description brief, don't go into details, just explain the tax status etc and give a reason for selling that ISN'T 'want to upgrade' or anything else that implies you're at all unhappy with the bike.

When it comes to the actual sale, make sure the bike is clean and tires pumped up and just generally the best it can be from a rider's perspective. In dealing with the buyers, say NOTHING unless you're asked; let them talk themselves up to it on their own. Never say anything negative about the bike if you can, never talk price until they do first, be generous (within reason) about test rides. Most of the sale is in the mind of the buyer and you trying to persuade them will just make it harder.

Example of what I mean:

That bike is much, much shittier than your street 750, wouldn't survive a competent inspection from 10 feet away and definitely the most challenging bike I've ever tried to make a profit on. But I did, because the guy convinced himself it was his dream bike from the photos alone and the actual inspection was just a formality.

Very good advice, I wish you had posted it a week ago before I tried to sell my bike! I still sold it for more than I bought it for (didn't make money once you include the exhaust I bought, let alone maintenance and taxes).

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Someone near me is selling a plated XR650R but my home state won't let me register it as a street bike even though it's already registered. :(

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Yerok posted:

No epa sticker means no plate unless you're in MI, MN, SD, WA, or the other states with dirt to street licensing available.

Some people get lucky at the DMV counter but several of my friends that did just got letters that said their title and tags were invalid.

Wait, please tell me more. I'm a WA resident and thought I couldn't register it. It's currently registered and plated in VA.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Yerok posted:

Oh you beautiful idiot, it just has to have a valid off road title and you get a simple safety inspection at your local WA licensing office. Lights, fenders, left hand mirror, 96 dB exhaust, etc.

I called the guy that ran the licensing office in WA where I used to live and asked him out of curiosity last year and he said it wasn't a big deal. You can call Lakeside Licensing in Nine Mile Falls, WA if you want to talk to a WSDOT employee that knows what he's talking about. It'll probably take a month or so to get a state trooper/whoever to come to an appointment to inspect it.

ninja e: also here https://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/licenseoffroad.html (I was wrong about who does the inspection)

poo poo thanks for the info. I'm a recent WA resident. I was gonna take this to PMs but I don't think you have them. Due to a weird combination of Corona And my job, I am not going to be able to physically go back to the west coast any time soon. Not possible I take it to just do a mail in title/reg, if it already has an on-road title from another state?

Tyro fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 24, 2020

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Bummer but thanks for the first hand info Yerok. :) Definitely something to keep in mind for when I return.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Any issues with the Triumph Tiger 1200 / Explorer that should send me screaming? There's a low mileage 2018 XRt model locally that I'm eyeing. I've ridden a buddy's Tiger 800 and enjoyed it, though I haven't been on the 1200.

From what I can tell the 1200s tend to run hot for some folks, there are potential issues with the keyless ignition, and there's an open brake recall. I think the 2018 is 3rd generation so hopefully they've knocked out some of the kinks. There was a head / piston issue in the first gen that looks like it was resolved?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Oh this is the poorly named motorcycle thread

I mean, it is in the motorcycle subforum, context is important

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Local dealer has a 2019 SV650x with 2700 miles that someone bought there then traded in. Aftermarket exhaust and tail tidy, but looks clean. Asking just under $5k. Assuming that they don't pile on a bunch of lovely fees I'd be happy with that price, does it seem reasonable?

Was also looking at some new bikes and leftover 2019s with some good discounts including factory incentives. Mostly dual sports. But even at $1000-2500 off (again before destination charge, doc fees, and all that other BS) I'm not sure I need a new bike. Used market is kind of thin/expensive near me though, I guess due to time of year. I was expecting a lot of used bikes for sale due to the overall economy.

I've never bought a bike from a dealer. Always used from previous owners. I've heard bike dealers don't normally negotiate or waive the BS fees as much as car dealers, due to lower margins and lower cost per unit, is that people's experience? More/less wiggle room on used vs new? If I end up buying from a dealer, I'd be willing to buy some gear that I need anyways at the same time if that would give me another lever to pull as far as the overall discount.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Cool, that tracks with what I'm seeing. I'm just surprised at what people are asking for their used bikes in my area. And there aren't that many options unless you want a Harley.

I'm not looking to spend more than maybe $8-9k right now, including the 10% tax, so I'd prefer to get a used bike to get more bang for my buck but we'll see what comes up. I just want something to bomb around locally on, maybe half day trips at most, I have two little kids at home and it's hard to get away. My last bike was a FZ8 and I really liked it after smoothing out the mapping with a power commander.

I'm mostly thinking about getting a dual sport or scrambler, my first bike was a thumper and I've always kind of liked them. The SV650X just popped up and I was curious. Surprisingly the insurance company wants over $800 a year for that SV650X which is crazy, that's double what I paid to insure my FZ8. I've moved since so I'm sure the ZIP code change has something to do with it. But they'll cover a new CRF450L at the same level for $250 a year. I saw a 2019 Honda CRF450L at a dealer for $8K+fees which was a bit tempting. The service intervals are not awesome but I'm not going to be commuting or touring on it or anything. Realistically I'm not going off road often, it'd be for 80/20 road use, with occasional dirt/gravel, nothing serious, so the CRF450 is probably a bad choice.

For example of the used market overpricing, locally there are people selling a 2012 XR650L and a 2015 KLR650 each asking $4,800, and a 2009 DR650S at $4,200. Maybe I'm out of touch but I think they're all about $1k overpriced.
Comedy option there's a leftover (heavy, anemic, bad ground clearance, but pretty) 2017 Yamaha SCR950 at a local dealer, I wonder how low they'd go, as they're advertising it for $6k. Apparently there was a dealer in Missouri blowing them out for $2999 advertised/about $4000 OTD last year.

I know I'm kind of all over the place, I just miss having a motorcycle.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Revvik posted:

Possibly relevant to that dealer margins thing, holy poo poo.

:gonk: LOL is that a DZ400SM? A local dealer was advertising new ones for $6200 the other day

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
1995 DR350SE worth $1900?

Per seller has 12K miles, clean title, new tires, rear rack. No red flags jumping out from the photos. It's like a 2 hour drive each way from me, I'm debating whether I want to go look at it.

I have to say I dig the paint and decals.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

FBS posted:

A garage full of RC helicopters probably says more about the condition of the bike than a mechanical inspection will

Hahaha I was trying to figure out WTF those were.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
It looks like the earliest I'll be able to make it out to his area is Wednesday so knowing my luck it will sell before I can get to it. :(

Slavvy the frame was blue stock but I'm not sure if it was that shade, it's hard to judge from a photo but I thought it was a bit darker.

Edit: he has someone coming to look at it tomorrow. Boo for me.

Tyro fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 22, 2020

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Get off the loving internet and go get it right now you dummy.

This is actually what I needed to hear, thanks. One of my pet peeves is when my wife doesn't do something she wants to do because it's "too hard" due to the kids (we have 2 toddlers) and now I'm doing it. I love them but they aren't the end of our lives as adults. I'm going to stuff them in the car and go rent a trailer and get the bike this morning if it's still available. It will probably not be a fun 4 hours and will mean no real test ride but gently caress it.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You can trust a person crazy enough to have that many RC Helicopters to both be an excellent mechanic and a terrible babysitter

Yeah that's kind of where I arrived mentally also. Plus I don't even have a helmet with me (visiting family).

On my way out the door to grab the Uhaul trailer now.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Well. I am trying to remain positive and hoping I didn't make a mistake.

Bike was not bad but not in as good of shape as pics suggested. I almost ran when I saw rust in tank but figured I could buy an Acerbis if needed. It started right up from cold, I ran I around the block with no issues. Then I started it a few minutes later and no issues.

Now I'm home and tried a few times to start it, didn't want to start and battery got wiped out in about 5-6 attempts.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

MomJeans420 posted:

Can you bump start it?

Tried once before going to return the trailer, gonna try again in 2nd gear when I get home.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Did you turn the petcock off during transit? Could be flooded.

How about the kicker?

No kicker, I think it was an option or add on for the electric start models.

And yeah I left the petcock on during the drive. So hopefully it's just a weak battery combined with me being dumb.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Well it's storming now so photos will have to wait but it's on a battery tender now. I just realized it's probably gonna take me a few weeks to get plates by mail, and I don't think I can get a temp tag as an individual...gently caress. Maybe I'll have to get a few daily trip permits.

I guess that will give me a little time to look it over. And buy a helmet and gear since mine is all in storage.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Alright I let it sit on the tender for a few hours and it started up. Took a little coaxing but I didn't have the choke in and seller warned it was cold blooded to start (he used the choke when he cold started it this afternoon). So I'm feeling a bit better now.

I did bump into one of the rear turn indicators, not even very hard, and the housing popped off, breaking the bulb. Assume it was just loose from being bounced around on a trailer for 2 hours but still annoying.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Razzled posted:

start your bike with choke when it's "cold". this is not a marker of whether or not your bike is bad, just a function of how it works. the only days i can start my drz without choke and not have it die on me on throttle is when it's like 85+ F

Yeah it's been like 10+ years since I've owned a bike with carbs so I guess I'm out of practice, thanks for the reminder.

Verman posted:

If you ever plan on taking it out into the dirt, things like that are going to happen constantly. Thats one reason I don't think I could ever buy a brand new dirt bike from a dealership. My guess is this guy used this as a pavement bike mostly. It doesn't look like its been dropped/dirty very much, especially with those dual sport tires, they're not very aggressive for dirt.

Looking at the photo, thats sort of bad placement for those rear signals. If/when you drop your bike on a trail, that big flat area tends to always hit the ground. Those turn signals are just asking to get damaged. I would move them somewhere else if possible or consider a different rear tail light that might have built in signals. Gently lay your bike on its side and see if there's anywhere they won't get damaged.

Sweet I'll add it to the list!

Yeah I briefly considered a new DRZ400 or DR650S but I didn't want to deal with the depreciation.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

The carb on my DR350 was held together by shellacked gas, the clutch was just a suggestion, the airbox was a freak show, and still the thing ran around the block with no major complaints when I brought it home. They’re unkillable.

Procycle has some bendy turn signals, plus a host of other parts that may come in handy. They’re also good for no fuss electrical stuff.

Also, I think you might be able to drop a kicker into that model without too much work. I think there’s just a plate covering the hole. Check the megathread on ADVRider, it’s a common question iirc.

Thanks! Yeah it looks like there is just a plug over the hole for the kick starter. I'll check procycle out, I was getting ready to place an order of some tools and parts.

My list of work I want to do in very rough order:

Check before any real ride
Tires Look new, 2018 code
clutch Seems OK
Oil Per PO changed 2 weeks ago, looks clean, but check level when hot
Brakes Check fluid - looks fresh
Forks- Check seals for leaks (looked OK prior to buying but check closely)
Levers and Cables - Lube, inspect
Spark Plug - Replace. NGK CR9EK, gap 0.6-0.7
Air filter - Inspect, clean and oil. replace if needed
Brakes - Check/replace pads
Wheels - Check/tighten spokes
Wheels - Check bearings
Chain/sprocket - Look fine, but measure slack, adjust if needed
Carb - Clean? Set Idle/fuel mixture?
Gas tank - Seafoam, evaporust
Key - Make copies of key since I only have one.

Medium Term
Timing chain - Check remaining tensioner adjustment
Valves - Check valve clearances
Steering Stem - Check Bearings
Fuel Lines - Replace lines to carb
Fuel Lines - High Flow in line filter?
Wiring - Look at wiring/routing for any problems
Battery - Check age. Replace? AGM or Lithium? Li is 4 lb lighter.

Long Term
Forks - Replace oil? Maybe respring?
Charging System - Inspect? no clue how to do this
Suspension - Decide if keeping short linkage from PO
Suspension - Think about rebuilding/replacing rear shock
Tires - Think about more road oriented tires
Lighting - Consider relocating the turn signals
Lighting - LED headlamp to reduce draw/improve lighting?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
drat both of those are uncomfortably on point

edit to keep this going:

I miss my dumb bike
Traffic here will murder me
I will be patient.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

Uhaul pickup and trailer + some ratchets are pretty cheap compared to a motorcycle as well if you want to travel a little bit further. Of course it depends if you live in downtown DC or not too as I sure as poo poo wouldnt drive a truck+trailer downtown. Imo I would find a 300-400cc standard motorcycle, DRZ400, MT03, etc before jumping to a “full sized” motorcycle. One of my favorite motorcycles was a DRZ400sm.

Yup my last bike I bought when I was living in NOVA, was from just outside Philly. I got a uhaul and went and picked it up on a weekend.

I wouldn't mind driving a trailer downtown if I picked my route carefully. I've trailered cars through the city without issues.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I'm pretty sure you can still get a DUI on a bicycle in my state if you're on the road.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Nitrox posted:

You can get a DUI on anything. You just don't get to lose a license if you don't have one

You still have your privilege to drive suspended by the state whether you have a license or not. Driving on suspended status is much worse than driving without a license in my state.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Martytoof posted:

The bike market here stinks. 4k will get you an mid 2000s R6 or F4i or something but if you want a DRZ or a road legal dirt machine get ready for prices approaching MSRP.

Huh maybe I should sell my DR350SE when I get back in the states (no way, it's fun as gently caress)

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-details/202107235368427
DR350, £3.2k

Looks very decent and well maintained.

Thoughts?

Can't comment on if that's a fair price but I love my dr350.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Gorson posted:

Carbed singles are a joy to work on. Multi carbed bikes generally get a bad rap because they're so old now that they're neglected, leaking, and the diaphragms aren't holding vacuum.

100% this

It only took me rebuilding carbs on one 80s CB750 to nope out of ever doing that again

But I just rebuilt the single carb on my 25+ year old DR350SE with very little effort, for like $30 of parts, and that fucker started right up way easier than any day since I bought it

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
That's cool, congrats. Nice color too.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
LMAO I hope that's at least a wet weight, if it's dry it's almost double the weight of my DR350

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Last year when I posted an ad in this thread, y'all told me to go buy it (DR350SE) and I'm glad I did.

Still enjoying the bike, but it's a bit slow/small for my hour each way commute. Found a lovely looking 2013 FJR1300 with 23k miles for sale locally.

Asking $7800 firm with a few extras included (Garmin GPS, heated grips, longer winter windscreen, new front tire that hasn't been installed, etc).

Seems like a decent price for the current market. From the ad copy, it's an older owner who is selling to get a Goldwing. And it sure looks like he's got enough garage space to have cared for it properly.

Biggest bike I've owned until now was a Yamaha FZ8, which I loved and only sold due to an international move.

Should I call this guy?