Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
What brought you around to the Fat Bob in the end rather than the 600s you were looking at originally? It's funny looking back at your posts through this thread, we've followed a similar period of 125s ownership and passing tests etc, but I've done the opposite about turn on thinking a Harley looked fun before I could ride, to now owning an SV650. Different strokes for different folks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That rejection is high on the list of all time great career limiting moves.

Only if a ktm would have made the journey, rather than constantly making GBS threads itself. It looks bad turning them down, but the bike letting them down would have looked very bad.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
I was just admiring a DR125 on ebay...

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

Ugghhhhhh I wish I had a teleporter or something. Looking at Royal Enfields for sale in India and you can get a Bullet 350 in great condition for under 1000 bucks. I rode one a few years ago on the dirt roads in the Himalayan foothills and it was absolutely charming.

If only it wouldn't cost like three times the purchase price to bring across the sea
Ride it home, really your saving money by not having to go on holiday.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
If you have bad hips, have you tried sitting on a tall bike? I'm 6'2 with low hip flexibility, and I poo poo you not, the hardest thing I find about riding dirt bikes is getting on the bastards. I'm not sure what the seat height is on a KLR, but I would not want to climb onto a big bike every day if I didn't have to.
edit: It's possible (likely) I am doing something wrong. The most recent time I am thinking of was a hired KTM EXC 300 that the owner said not to sit on with the side stand down as they tend to snap off. Not sure why I felt the need to point this out, of course you will sit on the bike before ordering one.

Megabook fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Nov 1, 2021

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone on here ridden, have an opinion on or even heard of the AJP PR7? I'm still trying to decide what dual sport I would like once I have the money. In the UK, DRZs haven't been sold since 2008, so we only have pretty tired used ones around. The CRF300L look good, but maybe a bit small on the engine side. The PR7 looks like a perfect small adventure/dual sport kind of bike, with a heavy offroad bias. This would be to use alongside my SV650. Does anyone have any thoughts? Specs look great but it's a niche Portuguese manufacturer. On the other hand all the componentry including the engine are from known brands, so maybe that's ok?

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
I was curious and did some googling. People have apparently pressed the bearings out and there is a part number on the back which matches the part number for a bearing on a "bajaj dominar 400", so they may be available, but whether they could be replaced is another thing.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
It feels like the insurance company are getting close to paying out for my SV650 so I'm starting to thing about what to replace it with. I have a strong hankering for an MT09, but it's clearly more bike than I need. My budget is about £11K but I'm happy to spend less. My riding career consists of 5000 miles on a WR125X, then about the same on my SV650 (and about 200 miles on my DRZ). Is there something with a bit more character than an MT07 or another SV650 that I should be looking at? Triumph Trident 650 maybe?

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
While we are on SV chat, my wife pointed out an auction for a curvy naked SV650 at a local auction place. She doesn't ride. I already have 2 bikes. Is it a trap?

https://bid.pumphouseauctions.co.uk/auctions/8839/srpum10251/lot-details/1b9919fe-431b-42fb-b2b3-b12b0111eeab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
Good point, very high. I think in person and phone bids are less extortionate, but needs factoring in. I think £800 or so would be about right based on ebay prices. But I don't need another old bike really...