Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
I planted some herbs but haven't planted much else. I started a little tea garden in my front planters with garden sage, sweet mint, spearmint, and lavender. Any other herbs I should get for a tea garden?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
My use case is culinary rather than tea but I find that thyme and chives are my #1 most used.

If you're doing tea... chamomile, borage, hibiscus?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

goatse guy posted:

I planted some herbs but haven't planted much else. I started a little tea garden in my front planters with garden sage, sweet mint, spearmint, and lavender. Any other herbs I should get for a tea garden?

Tea.

https://onegreenworld.com/product/sochi-tea-seedling-2/

They're quite lovely and at least for my climate are green the entire year if you leave them all their leaves.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
For tea:

Lemongrass?

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Discussion Quorum posted:

My use case is culinary rather than tea but I find that thyme and chives are my #1 most used.

If you're doing tea... chamomile, borage, hibiscus?

All good ideas. I use a lot of thyme and parsley in my cooking so I will be picking some of those up as well.

Jhet posted:

Tea.

https://onegreenworld.com/product/sochi-tea-seedling-2/

They're quite lovely and at least for my climate are green the entire year if you leave them all their leaves.

They won't last as a perennial in zone 5 but it might make a nice annual. I don't know why this didn't occur to me.

effika posted:

For tea:

Lemongrass?

Lemongrass tastes like poison.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

goatse guy posted:

They won't last as a perennial in zone 5 but it might make a nice annual. I don't know why this didn't occur to me.

It’s not a tea garden without tea, imo. It’s just an herb garden otherwise. You could probably move it inside to winter, leave it in a big planter that you can move around. They are shrubs though and will eventually be fairly large if maintained. I have two that need to be moved to a different spot in my yard once the street gets its remodel.

Hyssop is also useful for steeping and is great for pollinators too.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Lawnie posted:

I have seen Cherokee purple tomatoes at Lowe’s in years past, that’s an excellent one that’s pretty widely available.

I did them one year and they are quite tasty, albeit prone to splitting.

I've got sun golds, san marzano, grace lahman pink and Heinz 1350. Each is in its own bed this year as a new strategy to try and avoid overcrowding and disease. Of course, tons of volunteers cropping up now and I couldn't resist sticking my backup sun gold in a pot.

Tons of stuff is starting to come up now: peas, squash, beans, carrots, beets, sunflowers. Jalapenos should start running riot next week when we hit 90.

My strawberries look super healthy but I'm sad to report their asparagus companions have put out like two shoots total for nine plants. Not sure what happened. I switched from sprayers to full drip, so maybe they dried out?

Phat Phingers
May 27, 2023

Ey Frito-Lay! FUH Q MANG!
got some peppers from the nursery. now the weather goes from a week of 70°+ to under 55° for no reason. we're a month into spring

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Anyone have cucumber types they recommend?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

GlyphGryph posted:

We like silver slicers for versatility between pickling and eating fresh. We’ve had really bad bacterial wilt the last couple of years though; as soon as the plants start setting flowers, wilt sets in and they die without producing any fruit. I think my wife got some bacterial-wilt resistant variety to try this year instead, though.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

GlyphGryph posted:

I like Spacemaster 80. It's a bush type, but happy to spread as much as you let it, and it'll climb, too. Cukes grow in that nice in-between size so you can get them early for pickling or let them grow to 6-7" or so. It was very robust last year and withstood everything except the ants farming aphids on it in the 110°F heat, which it technically survived, but never recovered from.

It does produce bitter fruit after 100°F, so keep in mind you may want beit alpha or a cucumber-like melon like the Armenian instead if you have to deal with those temps for more than a few weeks. (Fingers crossed we don't get 6 weeks like we did last year. That was brutal. If we do, I'm switching types.)

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

eke out posted:

i got a 16' sun joe tiller walmart had on sale and it really is handy, great for quickly turning under cover crops, great for busting up grass and making new beds, etc.

probably terrible if you needed it for serious commercial use but really useful at home
On the strength of this recommendation and realizing they were like $150 I got one and its done great so far. Already broke one tine on a chunk of concrete and its gotten slightly bogged down in some roots/grass stolons but I pretty much expected that.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
This may not be exactly the right thread but it was the closest I was able to find. I'm trying to figure out what a plant that I had when I was a teen was. I ended up killing it, I went too long without watering it, but I gave it some water and it came back to life. Then I panicked and overwatered it and it died for real. I want to get another one and not kill it this time.

I don't necessarily know the correct nomenclature, but the plant had a single woody stem, thick fuzzy leaves, and was able to live indoors all the time that I had it. It didn't flower for any of the time that I had it. It was probably about three feet tall, I got it from one of my biology teachers when he retired and I think he said it was from Madagascar.

Any chance that rings a bell for anyone?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cucumbers I plant Chicago/national pickling and "hybrid English burpless" for a few years running now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I'm trying suyo long cukes and mexican sour gherkins ("cucamelons") this year, we shall see