Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
Yeah, I already cut the openings larger after taking that picture and added a few more pebbles to give more reservoir space in the crowded ones. It's a learning process lol
Luckily with solo cups you just need to snip an edge of the existing hole and lean it away to cut a nice "V" opening without hurting the roots.
It's not nearly as crowded inside the cup as the roots make it look, they're just getting fed every day below the bottom of the cup and reaching for the 'bottomless' nutrient supply below. I think the dirt in the cup is filled with primarily 'air' roots on most of these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Alterian posted:

Consider also growing herbs. Fresh basil, chives, and parsley are really nice.
Fresh basil with your garden grown tomatoes on some mozzerella with balsamic vinegar is just great.

I was going to suggest the same thing: if you're really limited in your space and just starting out, grow herbs and other things that are expensive to buy. Also, growing tomatoes in a bucket is tricky, because you can easily over-water them if you don't have your drainage right.

But this puzzles me:

TraderStav posted:

I had a green onion infestation at my first home so have committed to never planting those in open soil ever again!

If you found the green onions to be an infestation, I'm very sorry for you. I am just getting chives from the wild garlic and onion bulbs that I've been digging up in vacant lots and planting in my garden. They're spectacular and tide me over for when I don't have an abundance of green onions.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

rojay posted:

I was going to suggest the same thing: if you're really limited in your space and just starting out, grow herbs and other things that are expensive to buy. Also, growing tomatoes in a bucket is tricky, because you can easily over-water them if you don't have your drainage right.

But this puzzles me:

If you found the green onions to be an infestation, I'm very sorry for you. I am just getting chives from the wild garlic and onion bulbs that I've been digging up in vacant lots and planting in my garden. They're spectacular and tide me over for when I don't have an abundance of green onions.

Just that they showed up where I didn't want them. I was really young and a first time homeowner trying to tame a wild yard and I'd be weed whipping and get a blast full of onion spray when not paying attention. They'd shown up all over the yard. Was a bit of a mess and I wasn't down for taming it.

Green onions are my favorite thing to put in my salads so I am definitely team onion here.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

Lawnie posted:

Fun fact: Swiss chard IS beet shoots, just a different cultivar

Well this sent me down a wikipedia rabbit hole!

truavatar fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Mar 19, 2024

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Alterian posted:

How many of you are thinking more long term about some of the larger things you plant outside? massive)

Yeah. I'm getting into stone fruits and now I have to worry about chill hours. My options were already limited, but between getting bumped to 9b and our absurdly warm 2023-24 winter (~210 hours between 32F and 45F), I decided to lower my "max chill hours" threshold. Common guidance for my area is 350 hours or so, but I'm not touching anything over 300 and will probably favor sub-250.

On the flip side, we often have a period of balmy weather in March followed by a snap freeze. Apricots are famously frustrating to grow here due to the combination of low chill and late freezes. So I can't go too low on the chill hours or the "volatility" part of climate change will bite me as well.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

My beans, peas, collards and spinach have sprouted in their trays. Now I just have to find room for them all. By building a second raised bed, of course!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

:hmmyes: smart

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Step 1: seed too many trays so you can thin down to just the plants you need

Step 2: expand your garden and plant all of the seedlings anyway

Step 3: expand even more and plant even more :shepface:

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

after a couple years of unfortunate neglect, i want to repot my old spider plant and see if it can recover

can i re-bury the stems up to the first healthy leaves (and possibly trigger fresh roots to grow?) when i transplant or do they need access to air and i just need to find some way of winding them around the inside of the pot and pin them down on the surface?

or have i basically toasted this poor old man and should just start again? i've had him for maybe 7 or 9 years now and he used to be huge and beautiful, but untreated ADHD has a way of killing even the hardiest of plants

i've bought some blumat auto-watering things now so I'm going to throw one in with the repot, just wondering about the stems or if it's time to say goodbye entirely

boofhead fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Mar 21, 2024

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

boofhead posted:

after a couple years of unfortunate neglect, i want to repot my old spider plant and see if it can recover

If you haven't repotted in a couple years that pot is bound to be like 99% tuber.

You can repot cuttings in water or soil though, to answer your question. Spider plants are pretty forgiving.

freeedr posted:

Yeah I put three of each tomato and pepper I wanted to grow in a flat. If past behavior holds, I will transplant one of each into my raised beds, drop the second best in pots that I will subsequently neglect, and the third will be snapped up in 5 seconds when I put a curb alert up on Nextdoor.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

freeedr posted:

This way lies monsters. Tasty, fresh, delicious monsters.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Chad Sexington posted:

If you haven't repotted in a couple years that pot is bound to be like 99% tuber.

You can repot cuttings in water or soil though, to answer your question. Spider plants are pretty forgiving.

Thanks. It doesn't have spiderettes on it but I cut the stems off and put them in water, I'm hoping the aerial roots will turn into new roots but if they all die it's no great loss, I'll just start again

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

boofhead posted:

Thanks. It doesn't have spiderettes on it but I cut the stems off and put them in water, I'm hoping the aerial roots will turn into new roots but if they all die it's no great loss, I'll just start again

If the pot is all tubers you can gently pry some apart and normally just plant 2-3” sections of them and they’ll put out new growth.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Jhet posted:

If the pot is all tubers you can gently pry some apart and normally just plant 2-3” sections of them and they’ll put out new growth.

oh nice, thank you. i threw them in a pot, let's see how they do

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
My son is jealous of the cats and wants his own grazing plants. What are some good choices?

He wants "grass like the cats and lemonhearts" but I don't particularly want him eating grass or any more lemonhearts than he already does (yellow woodsorrel is one of his favorite foragables for reasons I don't fully understand). Maybe some mint? Other suggestions are appreciated. Only food I've ever grown indoors is mushrooms, which he hates.

My mom has generously donated an indoor greenhouse shelf thing I plan on wiring up with grow lights for whatever he wants to grow, but I don't have a clue what to put in it really.

Edit: Ooh, maybe strawberries? If we grow them indoors, does that mean we'd have fresh fruit all year round?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 21, 2024

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

yes if you get ever bearing ones. many are junebearing

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I’ve never grown strawberries year round, but I have gotten three big harvests in one year. I wouldn’t mind seeing how long a plant would last if the days never got short

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

same actually I've only ever grown junebearing

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
Maybe a few trays of different microgreens? They only take like a week and look kinda like fancy grass to graze on.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

My kid LOVES to graze in the veggie garden. I think the top hits that would also work on limited space indoors would be either continual sowings of baby greens, or mint (many kinds to pick from).

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

GlyphGryph posted:

My son is jealous of the cats and wants his own grazing plants. What are some good choices?

Before I had kids I would have been baffled by this

Enter stage left: my son, the lemon-eater

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Sorrel is tasty but full of oxalic acid which can cause problems in large enough quantities. Haven't looked into it though because I only eat it occasionally.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
You can grow small greens (mustards, spinach, beets) many of which you can just eat straight raw without issue. Those are probably better to graze. Mixed lettuce packs might be good indoors for it too.

Radish makes great microgreens too.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Lemon balm (melissa officinalis) looks like a mint (which it is) and therefore like catnip, which is also a mint. It has a pleasant green-and-lemon flavor, and I bet your son would enjoy it. Being a mint, it's very very tough.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Some great ideas, thanks everyone!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I love to eat grass

:corsair: : and smoke it too!

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Hell yeah. Just give me a patch of mint or greens to graze on, and I'd be happy too.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

A trick I picked up from my parents: plant your mint directly under the hose tap. It gets all the water it wants, and when you mow the lawn (A) it smells lovely and (B) you keep the mint within bounds.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

mint is a terrorism plant imo. don't plant it anywhere outside a container

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

The cats absolutely love the grass btw. I didnt expect it to grow so long so fast, but one of them especially loves laying in it in the sun and idly chewing whatever stalk his nearest his mouth. Its been a real hit, if you have cats I recommend it. He is finally leaving the other plants alone, as well!

I accidentally posted that to the wrong thread on my first attempt, so I suppose its only fair I ask in return if any of you know if antimagic cones are blocked by obstructions.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

PokeJoe posted:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

PokeJoe posted:

And keep that container well away from any earth because mint can and will send a root out in search of freedom.

Had one make it two feet along a crack in the concrete until it found the lawn next to the walkway. I only noticed because the mint suddenly really perked up and then some small mint leaves popped up next to the walkway. Found it right after the landlord let us know they weren't renewing our lease because they wanted to move in while they renovated their fancy house so I didn't feel bad.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

PokeJoe posted:

One person's terrorism plant, is another person's freedom fighter plant.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

As long as it's not burrowing into foundations like bamboo (it doesn't do that, right?), I like it popping up into the yard a bit. Just gets mowed down and smells nice.

this place is a rental though

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I have it in a raised bed made of bricks. It is contained, but it even worked its way between the bricks to grow out of the sides. It is far from any other beds and surrounded by thick turf for containment. I love having it though, and my daughters like a mint leaf in their tea occasionally, and if you really want to take the pains for the sake of doing it you can extract your own peppermint oil and make candy.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
Mountain mint (Pycnanthemum virginianum) has fibrous roots rather than rhizomatous roots so it won't spread as aggressively as mentha species. Downy wood mint (Blephilia ciliata) is another mint that is not as aggressive. Both of these are edible and native to the US. I highly recommend finding a mint that is local to your area to help your local pollinators!

I'm currently shopping around for price quotes on planting trees. I've gotten anywhere from $450 to over $2200 for a single bur oak. :stare: There are differences in sizes, but even the same size tree can have hundreds of dollars in price difference. I'm leaning toward spending a little more and going with the ISA arborist who has been taking down invasive trees in my yard.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Do you want free red oak saplings? The squirrels forget where they buried the acorns so I have a steady supply every year!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Got a sprout after only a few days! It's in the carrot row so I'm pretty sure it's a carrot. It could also be an errant garlic planted by the kid. Guess we'll find out!

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Got a sprout after only a few days! It's in the carrot row so I'm pretty sure it's a carrot. It could also be an errant garlic planted by the kid. Guess we'll find out!

that looks more garlic than carrot to me unless it's much more zoomed in than it seems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

No that's just a really big carrot