Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

We had four deer and two squirrels in our raised bed yesterday. Cheeky little bastards.

Successfully transplanted a whole mess of raspberry canes from my mother in law's much nicer garden, hopefully those will be nice next summer, provided the groundhog doesn't push them over. Stupid wealth of natural resources and wildlife, screwing up my garden plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

I planted eight fruit tree/shrubs before leaving on a weeklong trip to another country. I got back and only one of them is dead! So I'll need another Nanking cherry to replace it. I might have to move one of the plums, it doesn't seem as happy as its fellow, but it could also just be a late bloomer.

The redcurrant I planted last year is suddenly showing green, which gives me hope for the still-scrubby blackcurrant and elderberries I stuck in the dirt earlier in the year. The raspberries and wineberry seem to all be greening up nicely as well. The figs still look like weird dead sticks, but they'll look like that until June pretty much.

...the raised bed has nothing in it yet, I need to sheet mulch it and restart a couple seeds... Though shockingly not every start died after a week of utter neglect

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

Hexigrammus posted:

I've had bad luck with Nanking cherries. I think I've planted a total of 15 so far and only 2 have survived. I might try again and grow the bare root plants in pots for a couple of years before planting them out to be exposed to disease, deer, and the occasional mower.

I'm at the very southern edge of their climate range, so I'm not holding out much hope... I've got a guy who successfully grows them a few miles away so I may try to get a cutting/graft from him to replace this one rather than ordering from the Internet

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I’ve read you can just mow poison ivy short and it will die over time. Never tried it myself.

I know from deeply regrettable experience that this is a great way to spray poison ivy juice all over yourself.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

I'd check out what Gulf Coast resident and friendly permaculture crank David The Good has to say about building soil health. I can't use most of his advice since I'm way up in zone 6b, but his videos are fun. I'm kind of a permaculture crank myself tho so ymmv.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

Zodack posted:

This rules. I'll probably try this out before committing to doing any big construction in my yard. I don't have any big immediate growing aspirations aside from tomatoes, maybe some chiles or peppers. Blackberries are like a childhood memory ideal now that I have my own place but I may be aiming too high as a novice

Blackberries will gleefully form an unmanageable thicket wherever they get a toehold. Grow the berries, they are good.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

Deer have browsed the hell out of my aronias, which don't seem to mind. But after having killed the figs and elderberries the groundhog has been going after them now, so I put cages up. Eventually I will have a lovely garden full of fruit, but for now it's all chicken wire all the time.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

We've had to fence everything that doesn't have thorns due to deer and groundhogs. One day Tiny Orchard will look cool, right now it looks like a cluster of chicken wire. Oh well, we're making suburbia weird and that's what matters.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

Farchanter posted:

New to the thread, but this is going to be my third year with my vegetable garden in suburban Philly. I'm keeping one of my beds for what I call my "vanity projects", which is stuff that isn't meant for the food bank. This year, that's going to be pumpkins and luffa gourds, which got direct sown over my lunch break today. Kind of excited to see how they turn out, I did the luffas last year and it was really fun to grow my own sponges.

...are you me? We just started our random gourd patch with pumpkin and luffa in the Philly suburbs as well.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

Went to check my aronias which had been getting hit with deer browse to see that they are now getting hit by aphids. There were little ants tending to them too, a whole fuckin economy happening in my fruit trees. God drat, chokeberries are supposed to be weeds but they're just getting hit from all sides.

Imma try neem oil first and see how annoying that is, then step up my insecticide game if that doesn't work well. Thankfully the aronias are planted in bramble alley with the raspberries and wineberries, and not in Tiny Orchard on the other side of the house, so at least the aphids won't get to the other fruit trees without significant effort. Fuckin bugs, man.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

The fig tree is now out producing the ability of the birds to eat them, and there are so so so many more figs on the way.

I need to find a good preserves recipe...

Our figs never ripened last year, so we made this and it was very good with ricotta on toast
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2022/aug/27/how-to-turn-unripe-figs-into-a-condiment-for-cheese-recipe-zero-waste-cooking

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

mischief posted:

I wish I could say that at some point spending as much time as I do outside I would stop making embarrassing noises when I encounter snakes but that day was not today.

The king snake from a few years ago is still out there and he was enjoying some shade under a zucchini plant until my dumb rear end jammed my hands and face down into it.

I am not proud. I am glad there were no witnesses, though.

Same but for spider webs. I love the spiders, but I hate putting my face through their webs.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

The fig, strawberry, and asparagus bed is looking really good. It's the first year for the berries and spargrass, so we're not harvesting much of anything, but the figs are in their second year and giving us actual fruit!

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

We got sixteen pounds of potatoes

I am very pleased with this number of potatoes

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

Chad Sexington posted:

Daaaamn, share your potato strat.

My experience has always been like... plant two potatoes, harvest three potatoes.

It's my first year doing taters so my strategy was "I dunno let's see if this works" and now I'm going to have a completely unearned confidence for next time I do potatoes.

It's just been a really good year for nightshades generally where I'm at along the Delaware river. My cherry tomatoes have also been going like gangbusters all summer with 0 input from me except for occasional waterings when it goes too long without rain and pulling a weed or two. So I'm just going to call this luck and hope a few of these will make decent seed potatoes for next planting.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

The melons and squash I intended to plant

...the random vines that appeared in my compost pile

Insanity.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

Nobody tell my raspberry canes it's mid-October

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

Mine are fruiting as well. There are some varieties that do that.

Yeah, we were not expecting it tho as the original plants these were cloned from have not been bearing late, despite being half a zone warmer.

...unless my mother in law is loving with me, which is extremely possible tbh

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

My permaculture design teacher used native strawberries and grape hyacinth as ground cover for his apple and currant plantings. The whole system grew like crazy and everything in it was excellent. Looking around it seems like it's a commonly used cover crop in Mid-Atlantic permaculture systems, I've got them as cover for my figs and asparagus beds myself, and they do well there too.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

Could you not put the citrus in a pot? We've got a potted lemon tree I started from seed in zone 6 and I just keep it indoors. We're not expecting lemons off of it though, because it's a random grocery store lemon seed I stuck in a bucket of dirt at the demand of my toddler, but it's actually growing pretty well this way.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

I did something goofy today

It's a red maple and I've only got one tap in it so I'm gonna make approximately 4 ounces of syrup by the end of PA's sugar season, but hey, I haven't let the promise of low yields stop my garden efforts before.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

CommonShore posted:

That tree could support three taps. Probably more

Yep, and I have more taps but I don't have tubing or buckets... that tubing there is the (very well washed) tube from a baby nose Frida. I'm gonna see how much I get from this one before I try and order a bunch more supplies, but if it works the way I hope it does...... I'll definitely be investing in more gear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

My beans, peas, collards and spinach have sprouted in their trays. Now I just have to find room for them all. By building a second raised bed, of course!