Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i've been thinking about getting into gardening some garlic and onions but i was wondering if the small space i had available would be able to host anything at all, do these tiny row planters you often see outside houses ever amount to much, would it be possible with these?

they're about 11 inches wide, would that be enough width to accommodate root vegetables? They're about 2-3 feet deep and I'm fairly certain they have irrigation or drainage.
another consideration that i feel makes this starting off on a losing foot though is that my family had a history of just dumping waste water which would sometimes contain trace amounts of bleach or soap into the dirt, which has probably killed what's there already. I was always planning on getting some starter soil to mix in, but would i be able to at least use some of what is still there or is it just dead dead and i should replace it entirely?

e: i guess in addition i was also considering green onions and radishes like the post above, plus maybe some fall time herbs that i could use the pots for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

JoshGuitar posted:

That space will easily work for any of the veggies you mentioned - in fact the things you mentioned are a perfect way to get some usable food from a space like that. You could run a double (or even triple) row of most of what you mentioned, the whole length of the planter, or do say onions for part of the length, then switch to garlic, etc. But with those being 11" wide, I'd probably just use the square foot gardening spacing recommendations: https://squarefootgardening.org/planting-chart-cheat-sheets/ . The book explains things in more detail, but for example for garlic it says 9 per square foot, so you'd arrange each square foot in a grid pattern, 3 wide, 3 deep, where each plant is about 4" apart. They're recommending closer planting for onions than for garlic, but if you space them a little wider you'll get bigger onions (depending on variety). Once you know how many feet long that is, you can easily do the math based on that chart and figure out how many feet to dedicate to each crop and how much you can expect to get.

Depending on timing, you can also interplant things like radishes and green onions, before the other plants in that same area reach full size. For example you could plant onions at twice that density, then pull every other one for green onions when you need them. That will leave the remaining onions with enough room to bulb up when they're ready. Radishes take a few weeks to a month from seed to plate, so you could also squeeze them in between immature plants and they'll be out of the way before the other plant needs that space.

As for the soil, trace amounts of regular chlorine bleach should be no more harmful than watering with chlorinated water. It may kill off some soil life at the time, but it won't stick around in the soil long term. For the "soap", that probably depends on whether it's actual soap or detergent. I'll let somebody who knows more than me answer that one.

greatly appreciate the reply. as it turns out i was wrong, this is apparently 'fresh' top soil after they had to renovate the area to account for leaking (i will just assume growing plants in the space shouldn't be that big of a concern in regards to that eheu). when i went over to my gardening store they recommended i just mix in soil booster/conditioner (i bought the one from eb stone organics) without needing to top off with compost. i don't know how sound that idea is but did so, mixed up about the first foot of the soil together with a bunch of the booster. what do people here think in regards to that?

i could maybe see 2 rows but would 3 really work? i probably don't want plants too close to the edges of the space since it's just brickwork/whatever, i thought wouldn't a crop feel cramped if it was riding right next to the wall like that? if i planted two rows tho 4 inches apart it would give about 3 inches on either side i imagine. i'm just not sure about going more than that since root stuff like garlic needs the space to grow out too without grinding up against hard surface i feel.

i mostly bought the herb options while I was at the store. i imagine i'd find the best luck going to a nearby farmer's market to get starter garlic since i hear supermarket garlic is treated or something. i did also get a habanero plant from the nursery because i couldn't help myself, i'll see how far that goes. i imagine i'd eventually use the pots in photo for the herbs while using the actual row space for garlic and onion/green onions

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

B33rChiller posted:

Futaba Anzu,
If that window is not an emergency exit for a bedroom, or something like that, you could even suspend trellis netting above the bed, and grow cherry tomatoes or runner beans there. Depending on exposure, that might provide some helpful shade on the house.

i think that would be an interesting idea although i don't know how far i can take these projects since this is a townhouse and i don't really know if the landlord would like that.
i went to another dedicated gardening store yesterday and a couple of the workers there gave me some bad news that they doubt the planters can handle growing anything other than succulents because that space mostly gets afternoon sun which is apparently the death period according to them, since the entire soil area would be heated up by the brickwork and whatnot as well. but i have anecdotal proof that some green onions did grow at least in pots before so i still think it'd be worth a shot trying the planters, right?

anyways i actually bought a couple already grown plants that can at least be moved around, a couple hot peppers and a strawberry (and mint on the floor). i didn't know at the time of buying but the hardware store i bought the habanero from really trimmed the pepper plant in such a dumb way leaving only the top leaves like that, but oh well. hopefully it works out

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

maybe it is the definition of brown thumb but it just sounds more like not doing due diligence of proper initial research before buying or diving into something to me, although i'm definitely in the more neurotic over research camp and i still have tons of worries and mess ups

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

a thing i see virtually no opinions on on the internet is, do you guys think i should still overwinter my pepper plants if i don't foresee temps to go below freezing? like would it still be best practice to trim down the leaves regardless or would it actually be better if i left it as is?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

yeah the temperatures should hover around 44f for the remainder of winter according to forecasts. i'm leaning on doing nothing to them but yeah that is a good point that pruning them might make them grow in cleaner directions next year, i'll have to see just how they've developed sometime in december once all the peppers are gone

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i wonder if i hosed up my garlic plant timing really badly. was just watching this migardener vid where he says if your garlic is around 7-8 inches at this point it's prob bad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSUVOhaMWoI&t=367s

well this is an example of what my garlic looks like right now

i'm in 10a and some sites recommended early october so i planted them out on oct 3rd. i had some real unfortunate timing as a heatwave struck like the instant i planted them out so they got a ton of warmth and sprouted like within a week and this is what they're at now. i've said before but my winter temps shouldn't dip below 44f but i assume this is already way too grown out, right? how much did i mess up here and would there be any point to trying to fix the mistake?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

SubG posted:

If you were hoping they were going to be dormant over winter then yeah, that ship has sailed. You're probably not going to get great bulb development out of them, but on the other hand they'll probably want to bolt come spring and that means garlic scapes. And garlic scapes rule.

they're softneck california garlic so i don't think they'll get scapes

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i dont know how big of a shot in the dark this might be but might as well ask,
i've recently been getting an interest in growing a citrus tree eventually and landed on satsuma because i remember i love eating the ones from these boxes. i don't know who else might even know this brand but the blue jay satsuma mandarins:

the issue is that i learned that even a family such as satsuma has a ton of varieties like owari and brown hat or whatever. would anyone just know offhand what type of satsuma these ones would be?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

trilobite terror posted:

I wouldn’t worry about it too much tbh

Blue Jay probably uses whatever the most commercially common varietal is if they don’t have their own in-house strains. Depends on what their production/sourcing looks like and where in the world it is.

don’t grow a citrus from seed or whatever. If you want fruit just spend the $100-300 and get a potted grafted tree of a decent size. It will want to live outdoors over the spring and summer but it should live inside over the fall and winter (unless you live at the equator) where it will make your house smell lovely. Make sure it stays well hydrated or the leaves will fall off.

The <3 feet ones will grow a fruit or three in a season but they’ll really struggle with them. You’ll be waiting and fretting over them for a few years until they get big enough to reliably bear fruit for you. A seedling or a tiny <1 gal pot will have you waiting a decade+.

yeah i'm not like that one guy a couple months ago that insisted on growing from seed, i was going to buy potted one from a nearby nursery (although most I see are around $50-60 and come in a 1gal pot size so idk what's up with that compared to the prices you listed). I also wanted to further ask then would a satsuma be alright in a 5 gallon pot? what would be the projected harvest from that over how many years of catch up growth?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

trilobite terror posted:

You want like a 4-6 foot tree to start with. Really the bigger the better, but that’s gonna be up to the space you’re planning to overwinter it in

the current place i live at, i don't think i can reasonably keep something that is full bushed out at 5-6 feet high, it'd basically cover my entire entrance way lol. i guess this would just be a consideration i make whenever/if i confirm moving somewhere else then..

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i think there's a hypothetical chance i'll move within 2 years so would a 5 gallon pot suffice for a satsuma until then? as a reference, here's a photo of the applicable floor space I could put it

there's not really that much space horizontally and it'd be a struggle if the foliage grew to dominate the area since i'd rather not encroash into the walkway as that'd disturb other residents

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

are you just going to cut open those cups to release those lol

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Shifty Pony posted:

Five squirrels are dead.

what is your secret

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Shifty Pony posted:

Murdertubes.

I put them into the garden beds or on the fruit trees, so any squirrel that gets caught wasn't innocent. Just be sure to either take the trap up or put the safety catch back on at night, to avoid possibly hurting possums or skunks.

do you think it would be kosher to leave these out in a space where other people would be directly walking by