Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I've just mulched my garden to try and at least temporarily stop losing in the endless war against weeds - but how does that work if I want to plant seeds later? Surely the mulch will be just as effective at stopping my deliberate seeds. I can start some of my seeds in pots, but the lettuce I have explicitly warns against that as apparently it will bolt - and lettuce already likes to bolt in my garden.

Do I just clear out a bit of mulch and put the seeds there?

I'm pretty new to gardening and don't really know what I am doing, but I have been pleasantly surprised by how plants want to live and reproduce, so doing nothing has resulted in many healthy plants, some of which aren't even weeds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Shifty Pony posted:

So... pull back the mulch will typically work, but pulling back the mulch and making a little mound of high quality soil will definitely work.

Thanks I'll do that!

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

What about paint?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Bad Munki posted:

Hey y’all, just realized this thread exists. Just getting this in my bookmarks so I can do a giant post tomorrow about a project I’ve been working on all summer.

I assume indoor gardening is cool here, if not I have plenty going on outside as well…

Indoor gardening is absolutely cool here but also you might want to cross post that to the horticulture thread, as they'll likely love it too.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Alucard posted:

When are we going to get around to the abomination of nature that is fruit tree grafting? That poo poo is really messed up, making literal frankenberry's monsters.

I planted a tree that is both a lemon tree and a lime tree, presumably with some other tree as root stock. Some creature or weather event caused many of the leaves on the lime graft to come off - I assume the lemon side will help keep the entire abomination going?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

These are yuccas, which are in the same family as century plants (agaves). They have thin leaves instead of the meaty succulent leaves, and they spread via basal shoots like you noticed. I think each one tends to flower after one year and die, but they clone themselves so readily that it's more like one plant that jumps from place to place every year. They respond well to fertilizing; I have some in my garden bed that have gotten really big and dense because they steal some of my vegetable fertilizer. I'm doing a little resilience experiment on them this year because a loving tree fell on them and flattened them.

I've got a yucca in my front yard that has been chainsawed below ground level and strong poison applied to the stump and it still won't die, so I wouldn't be too worried.