Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Anyone have any advice on harvesting seeds from tomato and pepper plants? I've read some articles on how-to, but I'd appreciate any thoughts on selecting a good fruit to harvest, &c.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Hexigrammus posted:

Tomato varieties need to be open pollinated and you need to control which plants pollinate each other unless you're only growing one variety. I learned this the hard way trying to propagate my favourate grape tomato from Costco. I did successfully grow offspring but they were uninspiring, to say the least. You're not going to get what you expect if you start with an F1 hybrid parent, if it works at all.

So I have two heirloom roma plants that are on the other side of my house from the rest of my tomatoes (except for one cherry tomato plant on my deck). If I choose a fruit that is representative of the ones produced by those plants, am I likely to be disappointed given that I didn't really do anything to prep for it all year?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Hexigrammus posted:

Unless someone is mis-using the term "heirloom" they should be open pollinated and work fine. My understanding is that cross-pollination in tomatoes is more of a concern when they're grown together in the same or adjacent beds, not so much on the other side of the house. I would definitely go for it. If there is cross-pollination and you don't like the results you can always get out the paint brush and paper bags next year.

The most common advice for collecting seeds is to put some of the core into a glass of water and let it ferment for three days, strain out and wash the seeds, then spread them out to dry. Being lazy, I've just smeared tomato guts on a paper towel and scraped the seeds off when dry. There's probably good reasons for going the ferment route, but this worked fine for me.

The person who gave the seeds to me identifed them as heirloom seeds, and she purchased them from a vendor which sells heirloom tomato seeds, but she couldn't remember exactly what kind they were. Basically, they're an indeterminate roma with large fruit on wonderful heavy vines which has consistently performed well in my yard's soil, and they make wonderful pasatta, which I freeze and bathe in.

I've grown them two years running and I don't want to have to depend on her next year.

So unless I'm completley misunderstanding "heirloom" I think I'll set aside one fruit from the next harvest to become next year's seeds!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CommonShore posted:

ok next question -

I'm in Southern Manitoba, so a shorter growing season with hottish dryish summers and long cool autumns. Gonna do garlic for the first time, beginning with a fall planting, working from cloves.

1) Any suggestions for when I should plant?
2) My yard has a pretty wide range of shade/sun, wet/dry, including an Oak tree hanging over one edge of the garden. Where should I go with my garlic?
3) Any suggestions for getting/choosing the garlic that will go into the dirt? I've heard that planting bland grocery store cloves will produce garlic of "gently caress you" intensity, which is what I want. Would there be any benefit for buying higher quality cloves, or should I just get a bag of whatever and put them in dirt?
4) Any companion planting thoughts? I'm already starting to think through next spring's garden which is going to contain zuchini, beans, peas, carrots, radishes, beets, chard, tomatoes, and probably some kale. I have a big rhubarb patch, too.

I posted in the wrong thread earlier

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Hexigrammus posted:

I'm a typical West Coast chauvanist so my reaction to overwintering anything in Manitoba is :stare:. Neither informed nor helpful I'm sure.

Out here the Doukhobors and old world hippies have developed a lot of really tasty varieties of garlic that do well under local conditions. These varieties don't appear in the corporate garden centres but they do show up in the mom and pop operations. The local Buckerfields is a really good source. I don't know if Buckerfields is a Manitoba thing, if not I'm pretty certain you have even better farm stores back there. Local garden clubs and farmer's markets could point you to suppliers too.

A 4' x 5' raised bed produces a year's worth of garlic for my wife and I. We're the type who start by frying up some garlic and onions, then deciding what to make for dinner. There's enough space to experiment with at least a half dozen different types of garlic. Now we know that we like mild Elephant garlic in salads, Duganski for a dish that needs a fiery bite, and Gabriola Gourmet happy hippy garlic for everything else. Gabriola Gourmet is a bit fussy though and needs more nitrogen in the soil to do well.

But I'm rambling: imo, yes, locally bred varieties are worth it. If you like a commercial variety though go ahead and plant it, they don't take up a lot of space so you can afford to experiment. Be careful though. Judging by some of my friends' obsessions growing garlic can be a bit of a rabbit hole.

Cool and thanks! I'll look into local varieties.

And yes, poo poo does overwinter here. I've had all sorts of stuff overwinter (spinach!) - it turns out that having three feet of snow on top of the soil is actually good for the plants.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I skipped 479 posts in this thread since I asked the garlic question way back in October please forgive me.

Ok so I've started my tomatoes and they've germinated. I saved seeds last year - one Amish Paste heirloom variety, and one which I'll call "the Big Slicer" - it was my first time saving seeds, so this spring I planted 16 of each, worrying about poor germination due to seed saving incompetence, and figuring that I could give some away to people after I got my plants into the ground if I had more than I needed. About 10 Amish Paste are up, and about 8 Big Slicers, so success!

Here's the problem: when I saved the Big Slicer seeds, I was told by my partner that it was a heirloom tomato - the one she gave me was about 2.5 inches and spherical - but this spring, after I got them into the dirt I asked her for more details about where she got them and she answered a bit differently. It turns out that we have no idea whether or not what I have growing is a hybrid. The parent tomato came from a Hutterite colony, and while they like to present this homey, old-style agricultural vibe, they're in actuality industrial as gently caress, so it could be anything from a 100-year heirloom variety to a super GMO ultra modern hybrid made by Monsanto or some poo poo.

So any predictions about what I might be facing re: the Big Slicer? Should I avoid giving these away to unsuspecting friends? Is it worth even putting them into dirt?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Is there much risk of them producing inedible fruit?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ok thanks all - I think I'm going to keep all of the ?Slicers? and put them into containers for science, and put the amish paste into the ground.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I use a busted-rear end rain barrel with a cracked bottom as a composter - scraps go from kitchen to rain barrel, and about every 4 months I tip it over and stir whatever's in there into another pile with extra carbon bits and start again. It works well enough and sometimes post-stirring I get some HOT COMPOST ACTION.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Hey so when you're growing garlic... how high does it grow? Mine was like 6-8 inches tall last week and then on the weekend I got some seeds in the ground in that general part of the garden and watered, and the garlic grew like 4 inches in 3 days just from the runoff. At this rate it'll be taller than my house by the fall.

Also my area is starting to look a bit droughty this year (again. sigh.) I'm thinking about throwing some kind of top cover between the rows to help the soil retain moisture - soliciting suggestions for top cover media, particularly inexpensive things, or things that cna be made out of scraps. (e.g. if I have a bunch of scrap lumber laying around, will that work?)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions all! FWIW the garlic I have is a farmer's market garlic which I planted in November (I'm in the Canadian prairies).

I'll look into the wood mulch. I think I can get some of that poo poo for free. From what I know there's no walnut anywhere around. I also can get heaps of shredded media for free at work, so there are two options. I have a bunch of compost that's almost ready to go onto the garden, so if I can get a few bags of shredded documents, maybe I'll add that together.

I'm definitely trying to avoid putting any kind of plastic down. I do have an old lumberyard tarp that's probably on its last legs, too (I throw my container soil on it at the end of the year), so maybe I can also shred that baby up into strips and lay those between my rows.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Update:

I just scored an unlimited quantity of shredded documents.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I work in a large institution that has a moderate security document destruction policy. At any given time we have heaps of shredded stuff around, because things are being perpetually shredded. Right now I think there are 70 jumbo bags of it in the warehouse. The material is sensitive enough to shred, but not so sensitive that they worry about what happens to the shredded stuff, so buddy who oversees it said I can take as much as I want. I'm going to take two bags.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Hey cats I'm back reading the thread after a winter at 50 degrees north! My starters are going :toot: Right now I have 6 Carolina Reapers, 4 Trinidad Scorpions, 7 Amish Paste tomatoes, 4 Habaneros and 6 seedlings of what I thought were a local slicing tomato but which look suspiciously like Habaneros at this point.

I think that today I'm going to go pick up some marigold seeds and replant them into the failed pots.

By the way a while back someone in this thread gave me some advice on over-winter garlic planting and it turned out very very well, so thank you. This year I've increased the number of cloves I put into the dirt by 50%.

NOW does anyone have any good suggestions on ways to collect rainwater without spending a shitload of cash on commerical water barrels? All of the web results I have on this are like "step 1 take a barrel and" It's looking as if it's going to be a dry season here in the Canadian prairies so I plan to quintuple my rainwater collection setup and introduce things like trickle hoses and direct-to-root watering for plants that suit it (esp. my tomatoes).

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Gotcha. That's about where I was. Right now my plan is to buy some cheap garbage cans from Canadian Tire for like $20 each. I have a lead on some of those big cubes in the wire frames but I'm not optimistic. I've been keeping an eye on various swap 'n shops and facebook market places for stuff too.

I was wondering if anyone had heard of some kind of DIY solution like "pallets with a poly liner!"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Good news! I just got an email from a local fundraiser group who sold me my last one - I got three nice barrels with lids and screens and spouts for $60 each! :toot:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I planted 8 spice-grade mustard seeds 3 days ago and got 100% germination!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah this has been a pretty good year for germination. From last year's seeds i got 6 of 8 Carolina Reapers and 7 of 8 Amish Paste tomatoes, all of which makes me happy.

I'm debating if/when to throw a little bit of balanced plant food on my pepper and tomato seedlings. I want them to be fairly far along when I put them outside (zone 3 border of a/b, so a while) and I'm likely to give them a transplant at some point, likely when the marigolds and zinnias start getting put out there.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 26, 2020

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Any thoughts on using rubbery straps (3d printed TPU) to bind tomato vines to stakes?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

two questions:

1 - I'm growing Amish Paste tomatoes among many other things. I've had a lot of success in the past with them, though difficulty in my transplants. This year I started them 30 days earlier than last year, and I plan to put them into the ground two weeks later than last year. The problem is that my leaves on my seedlings, which are about 5" tall with big boy leaves right now, are starting to get a purple/yellow tint to them. I did some googling and google was like "PHOSPHORUS" and "ROOTBOUND". I transplanted my seedlings from the small starter strips to bigger pots a few days ago, but I don't see the purple going away. They're living in a cheap vinyl indoor greenhouse rig on a south facing window with a grow light living above them and a whole bunch of other seedlings. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing to tell me what to expect? They're going to be in pots for another 6-7 weeks depending on what the weather does.

2 - And the seedlings are still in pots until late May because I'm pretty far north. Does anyone know of any good youtube channels for zone 3/2 gardening? All of the nice channels I've found are like zone 5 or warmer.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Anyone have any good resources on drip irrigation/other irrigation options? I know sprinklers are mostly bad and I don't want to try and water this whole garden with one. Lee Valley has some kits and stuff, as does Gemplers etc. but I'm not exactly sure what I really need.

I've got stuff sort of in mounded rows, but not all if it is really in rows (random hills of squash and eggplants scattered about), so I think running individual emitters at each plant is going to be better than an emitter hose/soaker hose running down a row?

I'm working on something like that which I'm 3d printing out of PETG and some free PEX that I got when my FIL was cleaing out his garage.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Solkanar512 posted:

So quick question about stuff like pumpkins and melons. Obviously I plant them in normal soil like anything else, but it is a problem that the vines spill into the lawn? I don’t give a poo poo about the lawn, it dies out in the summer anyway and I wasn’t sure if the vines and eventual fruit needed to be over soil.

I guess what I’m asking here is if these plants have a central root system and vine out, or if new root systems are created by the vine and are needed to support fruit/vegetable production. It would be really cool if I could just use all that extra space without digging a massive new bed.

I've never had a problem with that.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I have a yam that's sprouting and I'm thinking about planting it for funs. I'm somewhere cold enough that it shouldn't be able to take over my yard, so any tips? The current plan is to put it into a mulch bed.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Platystemon posted:

True yam or sweet potato?

White LEDs are the way to go for grow lamps now, even more than in 2018.

The white light means it’s more likely that problems with plants will be noticed early, and with the cost/efficiency being as good as it is now, it just makes sense unless you have a compelling need to push a plant toward vegetative growth or flowering.

Any white LEDs will work. The reason to use a “grow lamp” LED versus a bulb in a socket or a desk lamp is that grow lamps are bright and efficient and they’re less likely to fail after two years.

Samsung’s LM401B and LM561C diodes are the ultimate and penultimate right now in efficiency. Products that use them will let you know.

Oh sorry I missed your reply! Uh it's the orange thing that you get in the grocery store. I can never remember which one is a yam and which one is a sweet potato. For as long as I can remember I've literally been wrong every time. Orange skin and orange flesh.

Right now my plan is I to throw it into the compost heap just as a "let's see what happens and if it dies it's already where it needs to be" approach

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I can't remember who recommended the spanish trellis, but that's what I did and it was super simple-thanks for the recommendation! Seems like it should work well. I probably should have been brave and chopped all these back to 1 main leader, but couldn't bring myself to do it, so we'll see how 2 leaders works on some of them.

I used pretty rough sisal and I'm worried it's gonna be to rough on my dainty tomatoes, but I'm sure they'll toughen up :ohdear:

Can someone tell me more about this spanish trellis? I just tried googling it and I couldn't find much. I'm trying to single stem my indeterminates for the first time this year and so I'm looking for ideas.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

At least with fresh basil you can just eat it as a salad green. Something like mint or oregano not so much

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Topping peppers y/n

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jhet posted:

What peppers? But yes if you want them to grow bushy.

I just use t5 LEDs from the hardware store. I just need something that skews to the blue end of the spectrum for starting the seedlings off, not something that will support them through fruiting. They put off about 400-500 ish lux where I need them, so it's enough for starting the plants. I'm going to see if I can get some aji charapita started late, but I don't hold hope for getting fruit until next year on them. Then hopefully next summer I can be the guy who has too many pepper plants in his yard again.

Habaneros, trinidad scorpions, and carolina reapers. I just want them to give me lots of fruit.

Also I went and did some digging around my various sheds and I think I have enough suitable scrap lumber to build a Spanish weave frame for my tomatoes - I have four 12-foot 1*4s for horizontal beams and a handful of 2*4s which can be vertical, and enough shorter pieces to create bases.

I just need to find the right twine now. I have so many different kinds of string around already but I guess the UV resistance + not water retaining has to be a thing. Mind you I'm still 6 weeks from putting them into the ground, but quarrantine stir craziness is a hell of a drug.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jhet posted:

If you're moving them outside, then don't overthink the lighting too much. Just make sure there's a full spectrum light above them so they get a bunch and are growing taller and not getting leggy. If they start getting leggy, lower the light.

Well right now they're living next to a window with a light above them to give them a bit more growing time per day in ye olde northern climes. They're not leggy at all. Is that really the only reason to top them?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Platystemon posted:

I did some grafts this year that are of particular interest to me.

I took scions from the last two trees of an abandoned apple orchard.

These trees are over a century old and the forest has grown up around them for most of that time, slowly starving the trees of sunlight. One was lost in the last ten years, a couple more in the ten before that. There were once dozens.

Time is running out for these last two. Each spring, fewer and fewer leaves return.

I don’t know what variety they are. There is some tiny chance that one or both is a variety previously believed to be lost. There are thousands of such varieties, extant only on paper and in memory. More likely, they are an heirloom variety still grown on a small scale today. A local who had had fruit from the trees years before could tell me that they were not cider apples or any variety common today but could not recall their taste more specifically than “quite good”.

Out of four scions taken from one tree, one graft took.

The other was four for four.

I dare not unwrap the parafilm on that precious branch, but if I did, the healed union would look something like this:

Amazing

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I don't see any freezing lows on my 7 day forecast - I bet my cold seeds are gonna start popping right away!

:peanut:

The plants make me feel so good, even before they're plants yet. There's so much hope in seeds.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

net work error posted:

Can I regrow bok choy from the bottoms of ones I get in the store like green onions? I tried leaving it in some water but it just turned to mush.

I'm growing one right now! Basically when I cut the last leaves off of this one, I noticed some shoots coming from the base, and it grew nicely and is pretty close to ready to put in dirt and root. I haven't decided if I should cut that root into a few pieces to let each leaf grow separately.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

net work error posted:

Did you let it sit in water to let the base grow some?

I jabbed toothpicks in it like it was an avocado pit and set it in a glass of water on the window sill, since it had living leaves on it.

gently caress I'll grab a picture for you.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Serf posted:

crossposting from c-spam, but this is my setup for the year

that's most of the garden. i have another area alongside the patio where i planted watermelons, eggplants, squash and cucumbers that i raised from seeds. this bed here contains squash, zucchini, bell and jalepeno peppers, tomatoes, potatoes and cucumbers. i've been fertilizing with cow manure, horse manure and miracle grow every 2 weeks. water once a day for about 2 hours with the sprinkler

been getting some good results

got a whole mess of squash coming in. last i counted there were 16 of the little bastards on the way

jalepenos on the way

for some reason the smallest bell pepper plant is the one with the biggest pepper so far, but we have about 6 on the way that i've found

zukes are always a pain in the rear end to spot, but so far i've found 4. looking forward to these

the tomatoes are just starting to flower, hopefully we'll see some action soon. tomatoes always take forever to show up around here tho, so i'm not worried

got our first potato flower not long ago. the potatoes plants have grown at an insane pace. two months ago they were still totally underground

baby cucumbers are coming in. i've always liked to guide the vines and help them grow. we installed that hog panel about two weeks ago when the cucumber plants were about five inches tall. they have exploded since then, its amazing

:psyduck:

You maniacs in warm climates drive me bonkers. We're getting loving snow tonight.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Speaking of patience....

After swearing up and down that I wasn't going to transplant before June, looking at my stressed rootbound tomatoes and the forecast, I think the weather is on track for me to put things in on Saturday. If by then the week's forecast doesn't go below a low of 5c at night, I'll just do it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just let coriander and dill grow like weeds around my garden.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

All of my starters are in their forever homes now. I built my weave frame for my tomatoes out of 2*4s, and it's in place, but they're going to be in wire cages too so they have some extra support on the lower end (and until I can get some twine).

Decided to put all of my hot peppers into pots.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Learned a lot this year in seed starting. My plan this year was to abandon the small 6 cell seed trays and go to bigger roughly quart size pots to get a few plants bigger and healthier.

Well it was a good plan but I started WAY to early for my zone. I know now that I need to start no sooner than April 1st.

The problem wasnt that I was overwatering plants I dont think, though I definitely did at least once. The problem is that my plants had outgrown the pots by a significant margin.

Planted them outside yesterday and the poor things were totally root bound. Lesson learned for next year.

I started too early as well but the plants kept me sane through March and April. I'm glad I started my peppers early, though. They needed the time. Might push the tomatoes back a bit next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Shine posted:

We'd like to try the compost thing, as we toss a lot of trash/scraps/cardboard shipping boxes that seem like they'd be good compost fodder.

For small scale, it sounds like worms are a common option, since a small compost bin/tumbler may not have enough bulk to really get going. On the other hand, we live in Vegas, so we have warm-to-really-hot temperatures for most of the year, so I'm wondering if that would:

1: Murder the worms all summer.
2: Help a 37 gallon'ish tumbler work alright, especially during the 7 months that our daily highs are over 80 (with 5 of those over 90).

Thoughts? We don't need a ton of compost, as we're talking about enough to add to 20'ish grow bags/pots for a perpetual indoor growing season.

Also, potato flowers are really pretty :allears:

This year I'm using a bunch of random shipping boxes as planters and/or ad hoc planter liners, and the plan is to just compost them at the end of the season.

I'll report as we go, but it's working well so far.