Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

after a couple years of unfortunate neglect, i want to repot my old spider plant and see if it can recover

can i re-bury the stems up to the first healthy leaves (and possibly trigger fresh roots to grow?) when i transplant or do they need access to air and i just need to find some way of winding them around the inside of the pot and pin them down on the surface?

or have i basically toasted this poor old man and should just start again? i've had him for maybe 7 or 9 years now and he used to be huge and beautiful, but untreated ADHD has a way of killing even the hardiest of plants

i've bought some blumat auto-watering things now so I'm going to throw one in with the repot, just wondering about the stems or if it's time to say goodbye entirely

boofhead fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Mar 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Chad Sexington posted:

If you haven't repotted in a couple years that pot is bound to be like 99% tuber.

You can repot cuttings in water or soil though, to answer your question. Spider plants are pretty forgiving.

Thanks. It doesn't have spiderettes on it but I cut the stems off and put them in water, I'm hoping the aerial roots will turn into new roots but if they all die it's no great loss, I'll just start again

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Jhet posted:

If the pot is all tubers you can gently pry some apart and normally just plant 2-3” sections of them and they’ll put out new growth.

oh nice, thank you. i threw them in a pot, let's see how they do

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

you're not gonna leave even a teeny little space for the cat to push its whiskers through the balcony fence and survey its domain?? or is there another, better vantage point for mr./ms. orange