Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Mozi posted:

Anyways, if anybody is encountering similar issues, this worked for me.

I certainly appreciated that, cause I've been reading through the thread for that exact same problem.

I had my first spider mite infestation a couple months ago on some deck lemons and mint, but I was just starting out and the plants were small so it was easy enough to hose down each leaf with some bio soap + oil in water and knock 'em out.

Now, though, the mint looks like this and it's way too bushy to get every leaf with spray (and it'll hopefully get bigger)

Thing is, I've just moved to a place with a yard and I'm going to plant that cluster. Does anyone know if I can just ignore the issue once the mint is established outside? My mom has had a giant mint patch in her yard for at least 20 years without doing a lick of maintenance to it. Different conditions though, I'm in Belgium and she's in New Hampshire.

the little buggers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Mozi posted:

Yeah, once the plant is outdoors and exposed to the elements you shouldn't have a problem. Just natural wind and rain will keep good pressure on the mites and you shouldn't have to think about them at all.

Cheers. This yard has a ton of snails, too (Belgium is a good bit more rainy than NH, and doesn't get as cold in the winter, so I'm finding things quite a bit different)

but apparently mint is fairly repellent for snails so hopefully I'm good to go. Gonna have to do a lot of research for next spring.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Aphids and other softbodied stuff (killed off some random caterpillars in my Broccoli just recently) are quite easy to handle with a simple gentle/bio soap (sounds like Bronners would be perfect) + veg oil mix in a sprayer. I use ~1 tablespoon of each in .75L water

Just be careful to not do it in the bright sun, and rinse them off afterwards to be extra sure. Neem oil in place of the veg does even better but that's harsher and I burned my Avocados recently because I didn't rinse them afterwards :(

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

This murders them easily

Nosre posted:

Aphids and other softbodied stuff (killed off some random caterpillars in my Broccoli just recently) are quite easy to handle with a simple gentle/bio soap (sounds like Bronners would be perfect) + veg oil mix in a sprayer. I use ~1 tablespoon of each in .75L water

Just be careful to not do it in the bright sun, and rinse them off afterwards to be extra sure. Neem oil in place of the veg does even better but that's harsher and I burned my Avocados recently because I didn't rinse them afterwards :(

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Hubis posted:

Interesting. What's the veg oil for --- does it smother the eggs? I've been using insecticidal soaps (probably not frequently enough) but that might be the missing ingredient for me.

Smothering but also adhering the solution to both (adults and eggs). Neem oil in particular also has insecticidal properties in itself apparently, but any light veg oil will help

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Can anyone ID this yellowing/fungus on a tomato? First season in this new place and I'm trying some tomatoes along the side of the yard and this one in a big pot, which HAD been doing the best out of all of them. A couple of the bottom branches always looked kinda crappy, but recently the yellowing seems to be spreading upwards

The bottom, which I wasn't worrying much about :

But now this is at the top:

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

farfegnougat posted:

I'm no expert, but from the spots and the way it starts low and spreads up, it could be blight. I have some Romas that are plagued by it this year. Have you had a long stretch of rainy weather during the season? I did and I've been fighting fungus of all kinds ever since.

You could try Neem oil, but if it's a systemic infection, a surface treatment like Neem might have a limited effect. Could still be worth a shot, though.

Actually the opposite, Belgium has had a ridiculous 6-7 week stretch with like 3 days of rain.

I've had to water all the pot stuff almost every other day

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Flipperwaldt posted:

Unless you've been pruning very diligently, those look like a determinate variety. The plant will die when it has done its thing. The photos look exactly like my plants in similar sized pots do at the end of the season.

Like, I'm pretty far from an expert, but the internet seems to back me up on this being how it works.

I did the 'prune suckers below the first flowers' thing but nothing more than that, so not too diligent I guess. And unfortunately I don't know, I picked 4 different varieties from the seedling section but neglected to write down which was which :v:

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I'm having the worst luck with tomatoes this year. In addition to the blight situation, and the couple I've tried being pretty mealy (can still sauce 'em, so that's not a deal breaker), I go out today and see this:

Not even sure what to google/how to describe this condition. Can anyone advise?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Enfys posted:

I think the wrinkling is caused by some manner of stress - some people say it's from a temperature drop when the fruit is setting, others say it's over/under watering or some other change when the fruit was setting that stressed the plant.

I found the temperature drop thing, which appears to be called catfacing and not the situation here. Thanks, though!

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Mozi posted:

I'm really not sure, but if the leaves look fine then it's either a) something about temperature, b) something about water, or c) the roots are screwed up somehow. Has there been anything off about the first 2 options recently? Also maybe double check the variety you're growing to make sure it's OK with your conditions?

I have had some blight issues: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3085672&pagenumber=297&perpage=40#post486160462

Thing is, I'm seeing this wrinkly fruit on plants with and without the blight, and I'm seeing it all of a sudden, while the blight has been around for a while. Kinda weird, everything was firm up until a few days ago (:wiggle:)

Water: very dry weather, with consistent watering (maybe too little? I've been doing every two days but a couple [especially the potted one] are a little wilted by the second day). So yea, that might be the problem, but it's still odd that they turned wrinkly all of a sudden when the fruit is practically ready to pick.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Mozi posted:

Watering daily would be the first thing I'd try, then. Not too much, but maybe a bit more consistent moisture in the roots would help. Certainly worth a shot.

Ok, thanks. First time in this yard so it's all good, learning experience

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Doctor Candiru posted:

How big are the containers? Anything less than 5 gallons and blight-like issues come sooner.

Why would that matter? From reading around, I thought blight was a fungus that usually gets splashed up onto leaves from the soil below (then spreads), not a space issue

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I've used a Neem oil / mild soap mix to good effect vs. aphids and spider mites, including indoor. I tried it vs. scale recently and it seemed to work there too, though that was just one time.

The concoction can be too rough for some things--it burned avocado leaves when I left it on for a few hours. Lemon trees seem fine, though. Just hose it off after 15-20 minutes and you should be fine

Edit, here we go:

Nosre posted:

Nosre fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 16, 2019

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

gently caress fungus gnats, they're such a pain. I've tried various things and they're well under control but it seems like never completely gone, which means you've gotta keep worrying about them because they will explode again.

Anyway, I second Bacillus thuringiensis Israelensis, which I've found to be the most effective. My problem right now is it's a giant pain to find in consumer-level quantities in the EU. It's not really a chemical and shouldn't have any impact food-wise.

You could also top-dress everything with an inch of gravel or coarse sand, which simulates the dry surface they will avoid without actually risking the plants' watering

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I go a stabbin'. Cleaner than dirtying my clippers with slug slime, cause I just throw the pick+catch into the bushes where it'll decompose

This was a particularly big boy

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

A neem oil spray has absolutely murdered aphids, for me. It's a little more hit or miss on mites because they're tinier and you always miss one or two so they can re-emerge, but aphids are easy to see and bigger so it's practically 100% against them

I use about 1 tablespoon bio soap + 1 tablespoon neem, plus maybe some light veg oil if it's particularly bad, in I think a .75l sprayer

Keep in mind neem can be damaging to delicate leaves, and the oil can turn them pretty gunky if you let it dry, so I hose them off (also from underneath) ~15-20 minutes after spraying

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Weird, I came back from a vacation last year with some bolted kale being absolutely covered with them, and the solution I describe turned them into crusty stems caked in black 100% dead aphids. Wish I had pictures (it was pretty gross) but I just deleted them a few days ago

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Jhet posted:

I don't have enough room in a south window for citrus,

FWIW I have lemons in a north window and they do fine. The spot gets a glance of direct light for like 30 minutes in the evening, and that's it. I have a bunch on this ledge for the cold six months of the year, and this one in the center is there all the time and pretty happy (the pictures look pretty bright, but that's phone compensation or else you wouldn't be able to see the plant):

Bonus: Orchid got crown rot so I had to operate and dust it up with cinnamon. Hoping it keeps going long enough to give off a keiki

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Jhet posted:

Do you get fruit from the lemon? I'd want to get a couple a year if I could just for the fun factor. My wife collects houseplants and uses most of the north facing space we have like that complete with radiator. I might be able to convince her to fit one in, but the coffee plant and bay laurel take up the biggest spots. The coffee plant got frost burn when it got very cold last year (we had some of that crazy -50F weather for a couple days). That and I'm going to move the rosemary bush inside for the winter. It's gotten so large this year I'd hate to loose it in the snow and cold.

Oh, no fruit, I should have added that. It's strictly an experiment/for fun thing: They're not even dwarf varieties, grew 'em from seed. I'm pruning various ones with different levels of toughness and seeing how they do

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Platystemon posted:

I did some grafts this year that are of particular interest to me.

I took scions from the last two trees of an abandoned apple orchard.

These trees are over a century old and the forest has grown up around them for most of that time, slowly starving the trees of sunlight. One was lost in the last ten years, a couple more in the ten before that. There were once dozens.

Time is running out for these last two. Each spring, fewer and fewer leaves return.

I don’t know what variety they are. There is some tiny chance that one or both is a variety previously believed to be lost. There are thousands of such varieties, extant only on paper and in memory. More likely, they are an heirloom variety still grown on a small scale today. A local who had had fruit from the trees years before could tell me that they were not cider apples or any variety common today but could not recall their taste more specifically than “quite good”.

Love this. If you eventually get fruit from them, will you try to start some fully natural trees?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I've got a mint spot I'm letting go because it's bordered on 2 sides by wall and the rest by me mowing, which makes for a nice smell every time

Maybe it will eventually strangle me in my sleep but we also like mint cocktails, so I'm taking that risk

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

LogisticEarth posted:

Yeah, I work for a conservation district in PA, we're a good place to start but your local extension office is useful as well.

The method we have used for control of established knotweed is generally to cut it down in June or so, let it come back up and expend some of the energy in its roots, then spray with glyphosate in August. Sometimes folks will do a second cutting and spray in September-ish. This usually gets rid of it in 1-2 years, although more established stands might take longer.

Quoting this in case I may need it eventually. There's a ton on my parents' 64 acres in New Hampshire; not much by the house but big patches along the banks of a few streams we have running through the property.

What's the procedure for cutting it down? I've read that even little pieces (that get flung around or otherwise transported by accident) can turn into full plants

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

^ You mean for me in NH, or LogisticEarth in PA?

It's a project I'd love to take on eventually, especially if I take over the property some day. The one saving grace is it doesn't seem to be quite as spread-happy as I read it is in more mild climates - like I said, we've got a bit by the house but it hasn't expanded at all in 20 years. I grew up playing with it and didn't even realize until a few years ago that it was such a horror elsewhere

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

It's not 150 but I randomly threw some leftover grocery store cloves in a pot sometime last year (no idea even when) and I noticed recently they look done. Definitely doing more now that I know it's that easy (you can see I barely even weeded it)

Picture perfect

And tasty!

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Yea when veg gardening stuff is in season it easily overpowers cactus and succulent type questions so I would keep those separate at the very least.

Just put it back to the way it was with two threads here, plus ^ tree/wild plant/edible plant discussion in TGO

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Johnny Truant posted:

So is there a point after a pothos clipping has been in water for so long that it won't be able to be transferred to soil? We've got one that's been in water for uhh probably close to two months, idk what time is, just wondering if I could stick the sucker in soil.

fwiw I had some clippings in water for like 8 months, potted them 1 month ago, and they seem fine

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

A basic mix of water + gentle/bio soap + oil (neem oil is best because they say it has anti-pest/anti-fungal properties, but even a light veg oil would work) works against most soft-bodied pests.

I use ~1 tablespoon of each in ~1 liter of water, does great against mites

Only caveat is that the neem oil can be harsh against some leaves - it does nothing to lemon leaves, but has burned the underside of my avocado leaves before. You can always spray it off after a few minutes though

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

in general this one is more food plants and is way more busy during (food)garden growing season, while the other is non-food, but there's overlaps

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

You can soak the mosquito bits in your watering can and then water with that, it seems to be better than just putting the bits on top of the soil

Also: attacking multiple life stages at the same time. I use sticky traps to get the adults in addition to the bits water plan and have successfully fought off an infestation

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

What ratio do you use for that? ^

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

tablespoon of oil (neem oil is supposedly best, but any veg will probably clog them up too) and organic soap in water in a spray bottle does wonders for them. Ideally you take the plant somewhere where you can hose it off after a while, though. The residue can build up and can damage more sensitive leaves

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

kedo posted:

I have a potted lemon tree with a heavy scale infestation. I wasn’t able to keep up with it over the winter (it’s too cold here for the lemon to overwinter outside, so it spends the season in our house where I can’t spray it), and it barely survived. Now that it’s warm enough I’ve moved it outside, pruned off the most heavily infested sections and have been spraying it with neem oil weekly. It’s recovering nicely and has tons of new growth, but the scale is still spreading!

I’m looking for any suggestions on how I can better treat it. I’d like to get a horticultural oil spray attachment for my garden hose (or another type of sprayer) so I can REALLY drench it - I’ve been using a spray bottle which is less effective, lmk if anyone has a favorite sprayer? I’m also curious what else is out there as far as treatment options go. It’s fruiting, so it’s important that whatever I do not pollute the fruit with nasty, lingering chemicals since we enjoy eating the lemons, and also I’d like something that’s pollinator safe. Would a different oil be more effective?

Please help me save my tree, thank you!!

Not sure what size we're talking about for this to be practical or not, but you can saturate a paper towel with rubbing alcohol and wipe down branch by branch, leaf by leaf

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

My mom's house and yards have been slowly encroached on by japanese knotweed on multiple fronts for decades now but she refuses to chemical them

I'd be out there glyphosate painting fresh-cut stems every month

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Motronic posted:

Japanese knotweed is more of a Paraquat (i.e. Gramoxne One) kind of situation, and that stuff is way nastier than glyphosate. You probably could eventually get it with enough focused attention with glyphosate.

I'm really tired of adding new "this is how you control X new invasive plant or bug species" to my repertoire. USDA needs to start getting as serious as they are when arriving in Hawaii at least, if not more. For all CONUS.

Good to know. Yea my sister has actually tried on her own infestations and the glysophate wasn't the final solution; it basically made the Knotweed come back really tiny, like miniature versions of itself. But it still came back.

I was hoping it was because she just leaf-sprayed and didn't do the cut stem trick.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

If you're 12 years old, putting a bunch of of the habaneros from the garden in a dehydrator is a great way to make your parents have take you out to pizza that night

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Anyone got any Opinions on rotortillers?

Looking to replace this beast, which has been my mom's go-to since they got it in the late 80s. Troy Bilt Horse with a Magnum Kohler 8. It still runs, but is an absolute bear to shift and my mom's 64 now so it's been too much for her for a few years anyway.

Basically, I'd like smaller and lighter, though ideally still cutting near the same width (Width of the blade housing on this one = 1 ft 9 in). Thinking to go electric, as that should definitely help the weight/hassle, and she doesn't use it enough anymore to justify the power in this thing. If I go that route, it's gotta be battery, not corded, and removable battery I assume (we're in NH, and it won't be stored in a heated area).

Anyone have any recommendations?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The easiest and laziest might be get her interested in no-dig/no-till gardening, which has lots of other advantages too!

That's basically what she's been doing [after the initial preparation anyway] for a few years once this one started to die. She has a big rig come in to dump manure and till the whole thing initially, but a personal-sized one was nice to use for weed control in the rows - she still works and doesn't have the time to keep things under control by hand or handtool.

Nosre fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Nov 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

As long as it's not burrowing into foundations like bamboo (it doesn't do that, right?), I like it popping up into the yard a bit. Just gets mowed down and smells nice.

this place is a rental though