Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I live in a third story apartment. I have a decent sized balcony and as we move into spring I would like to get into growing things. I am feeling an irresistible urge to do this.

However, I have little to no experience gardening. I currently have three tiny succulents I have not killed yet.

Is there a good guide anywhere for ideas on how to start simple little balcony gardens?

I would like to grow some herbs, some basic vegetables, and maybe a decorative vine for the rail.

I get good morning light but I face the courtyard, so that's not ideal.

I definitely want to grow some tomatoes and that seems easy enough.

Ideas? Experience? Point me in the right direction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, suggestions for how to set up these pumpkins moving forward? Posting the Twitter link because it’s easier to upload a photo. Plenty of room all around them.

https://twitter.com/formerlyfiz/status/1668300601120239625?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Pumpkins don't grow up; they spread out sideways. There are a lot of cucurbits you can train up a trellis/string (cucumbers, gourds, a few squash) but pumpkins are waayyy too heavy to support their own weight.

On the ground, just let them floop in some direction or other. They'll figure it out.

Okay. I just didn’t know if I needed to train it one way or another. I saw the tendrils and was like “oh god give him guidance.”

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Would my pumpkins produce more fruit if I trimmed the vines?

I’ve got three vines and two fruits growing very well. I’ve just been kinda letting it go it’s own thing.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

swickles posted:

I think the opposite. I looked into growing a giant rear end pumpkin and one of the keys (aside from seed choice) is to trim new vines as they appear so all the resources go into the single gourd.

So one vine one fruit? I can do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

so excited for this

https://x.com/formerlyfiz/status/1771922982329348253?s=20

gonna build at least one more and have a cute little tunnel of vining veggies.