Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Alterian posted:

My neighbors cut down a shitton of trees the other year in their yard making part of our side yard now get enough sun to garden. We did a test last year with growing some vegetables in pots in the area and they did fine so now we want to build some raised beds. I've done plenty of in-ground gardening before, but we want it to look a little nicer and be easier to maintain / keep our cairn terrier out of it. Any suggestions on brands or approaches? Is https://vegogarden.com/collections/garden-beds a waste of money/. Their system looks nice.

I cut down a lot of trees last year and have a fantastic stripe of yard between our houses that I think would be perfect for a garden. I am drat near a complete beginner. Do you have a recommended resource for babbys first 5 gallon bucket garden so I can get going this year? A nice hand holder would be fantastic! Then grow (hah!) and learn from there for next year.

Southeast Michigan, haven't timed it but area gets sun most of the day. Probably start with just romaine lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, green onions.

Appreciate any tips for this rookie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Thanks! I'll dive into all these resources. I'm excited to get started and wholly expect the first year to be a disaster, anything above that will be a fantastic victory. The buckets are enticing to me so I can dial in what works for location in my yard/shade/etc.

Seems like I just need to go to the store, get some buckets, soil and other things needed for them, and some seeds and just get started and bumble through issues as I encounter them. Watering, protection from animals, etc.

This is the area that I'm looking to use. The farther toward the street I go the more sunlight throughout the day and the farther back toward the backyard the more shade. Think This long strip will allow for the right flexibility but no idea on the precise number of hours of sun I'll have per area so something I'll need to track throughout the year. Also have to account for how I water the grass and not overwater the foliage on the plants which I've read can lead to burning in the sun.

All lessons that'll be sorted through.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Lawnie posted:

This looks like a north-facing view? If so, this looks like a great spot to set up. Up against the structure on the right will get shade until about noon, the rest will get what’s considered full sunlight for growing plants (IMO that’s 8+ hours of nearly uninterrupted direct sun exposure). You don’t really need to calculate the amount of time in the sun, just keep an eye out on the yard throughout the day and seasons. Expect some slight fluctuations as the earth does its orbital mechanics things.

The home faces SE, so camera is facing NW, not sure if that is what you meant by north facing view and changes your suggestion!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

SubG posted:

Other people have mentioned how a 5 gallon bucket is overkill for lettuce, I'll mention that it's overkill for onions. Like lettuce, almost all alliums (onions, garlic, shallots, chives, and so on) can be grown in very shallow containers.

Thinking something like (or actually) this for the lettuce: https://www.costco.com/self-watering-elevated-garden-planter.product.100424059.html

Then do buckets for most everything else. I had a green onion infestation at my first home so have committed to never planting those in open soil ever again!

As far as the perennial conversation, I'm leaving lots of open slack on the future plans as I don't know a lot in this space and am sure that my opinion will change as I gain experience and knowledge. So going with the slam dunk stuff that doesn't overcommit on things like dedicated space(s) for beds and such at this time.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

rojay posted:

I was going to suggest the same thing: if you're really limited in your space and just starting out, grow herbs and other things that are expensive to buy. Also, growing tomatoes in a bucket is tricky, because you can easily over-water them if you don't have your drainage right.

But this puzzles me:

If you found the green onions to be an infestation, I'm very sorry for you. I am just getting chives from the wild garlic and onion bulbs that I've been digging up in vacant lots and planting in my garden. They're spectacular and tide me over for when I don't have an abundance of green onions.

Just that they showed up where I didn't want them. I was really young and a first time homeowner trying to tame a wild yard and I'd be weed whipping and get a blast full of onion spray when not paying attention. They'd shown up all over the yard. Was a bit of a mess and I wasn't down for taming it.

Green onions are my favorite thing to put in my salads so I am definitely team onion here.