Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

So these Irises are the direct descendants of the ones my grandmother grew in her garden. She passed in the early 90s and my aunt transplanted them to her house and then transplanted some to mine when we bought our first house. We have just moved to a new house and I'd like to transplant them to our new one and one day pass them on to my kids.

What's the proper way to get them moved? Anything I should be aware of? What properties of sunlight etc should I look for in the new spot? I'm in Austin so we have stupid heat in the summer and usually one to two freezes in winter. They survived be icepocalypse we had a few years back and grew back in the spring so I'm not too worried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

So we just moved into this house a few weeks ago and today I noticed the century plant out front is sending up a flower stalk! These are cool as hell but my understanding is the plant dies after it flowers however it sends out shoots when it does. I am looking for some info/advice on how exactly that works and if there is anything I should be doing to give the new babies the best shot. One thing I noticed that you can see in the third and fourth pics are that the plant that is flowering is actually connected to the others by a big rear end trunk thingy running along the ground? Is that what is meant by shoots? Does only the plant flowering die or are they all going to kick it?

Edit: after reading a bit more it seems some varieties produce the pups or shoots while others produce seeds. Anybody know which kind I have exactly and what to expect?

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 25, 2024