Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

At the risk of resurrection, I just needed a place to vent a little. Wife and I have always wanted to keep bees as more of a stewardship/education tool moreso than end result bee products. After years of studying about it and making our yard into a place that is acceptable and a safe place (we just weeks ago had our yard certified locally as a refuge), we ordered a package after getting all out equipment in place.

The package was supposed to arrive on Friday. It's now Monday night and usps never updated the tracking since it was accepted at the post office. They said they had no more information than I did as it hasn't been scanned into any facility between the first post office and now. They're insured, but I can't do anything about it for the time being as it is still listed as "in transit."

I don't care too much about the money anyway. I feel awful for the bees.

I found a guy locally, well, 4 hours from here that was selling nucs. After spending a lot of time speaking with him, he was passing through a town 20 minutes away today making deliveries. I agreed to buy one and meet him. After waiting over an hour today, he texted and said that he forgot about me, had no extras, and maybe he would catch me next time, but stopped responding to texts.

I've been so excited heading into this week for the last couple months and it has turned into a heartbreaking nightmare.

I don't know. I'm just frustrated and needed to vent.

What the hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Melicious posted:

Jeez dude, that stinks! How frustrating. Hope you get some bees soon. Whereabouts are you located?

Southwest. New Mexico. I've reached out to a few apiaries but have yet to hear any response from anyone. Update as of Tuesday night- Still no new scan of that package.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Hasselblad posted:

Who exactly did you order from?

Wolf Creek Bees out of Maryland. which.. yeah that may be my fault. their website is a bit trash but they came recommended in a few places online and had still had later in the season packages. To their credit they were extremely helpful in walking me through the inevitable process of having to file a claim with USPS for the insurance on the package. They also said they have heard of their packages lasting upwards of 9 days, but it's certainly more exception than rule. Today is day 7. Every time I think about them I get really bummed out. I think what also really frustrates me is that the apiary booked shipment for the bees. I got a message from USPS on the 14th that the company had purchased and booked the package shipment a week before they even brought them to the facility. So it's not like there were surprise bees at the post office.

Droogie fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 26, 2021

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

D-d-d-double post

As of this morning I have a nuc. A redditor helped me track down a small time local guy that just happened to have a few on hand. The journey begins.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

the spyder posted:

Equipment shortages are biting me. I did not account for the extra NUCs and I typically run double brood boxes. Long story short, I'm 5 8-frame deeps shy. I've got orders in with three suppliers, all with no ETA for shipping. Local shop is calling me back on his inventory. Worst case I use mediums (ugh).

Our blackberry flow is going to start any time and I really want to give the girls a chance to build wax out in the 2nd brood box.
It's going to be a busy summer.

Speaking as an expert, after nearly one full day of having bees, I can feel this. I always wanted to build my own boxes, but it's basically cost prohibitive at this point. The other edge of that sword is the sudden shortages of anything built with wood or dimensional lumber. I have deep and medium templates ready to go, but it makes more sense to wait and buy given material costs and time to build. It's awful.