Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Don't remember if I've posted in this thread before, but we've got one hive in MN. It was very strong going into winter, but two straight weeks of sub-zero F (sub -20C) weather made me nervous. Very happy to see a lot of activity now that we're back around freezing.

Some real gross snow around them from cleansing flights, and they've cleared out a significant amount of their sisters who didn't survive the winter :rip:

Despite the losses, it seems likely this is our strongest hive going into a spring in six (?) years of doing this. Maybe this will be the year we successfully split and go through a summer with two hives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

We split our hive and added a new queen to the split a week ago. Checked them today, and both the hive going into its second year and the new split seem to be doing well despite below-average temperatures since the split. No swarm cells in the old hive, and we found the queen in the new one. Knock on wood, but six years in and this is the best start to a year we've had :unsmith:

Got real nervous at first because there wasn't much activity in the new one and there were some dead larva and bees sitting in front of the entrance. On further inspection, the frames we transferred over had quite a bit of larva near the bottom. I think the cold weather did them in and we just saw the aftermath of cleanup.

I do wish we could have gotten a Saskatraz queen for the new hive, but we've gotten Italian hives through winter before. There is only one provider for package bees and queens that I know of in the Twin Cities area, so I guess notes for next year are to get to the store for a queen earlier in their three days of being open.