Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Hi bee thread. I'm getting boxes/kit this weekend and hopefully a nuc this spring. I plan to start with an 8-frame deep and an 8-frame medium. Should I add an additional deep right away since the nuc is already going to have 5 full frames?

If they come with 5 full frames and you're using 8 frame equipment, that leaves 3 frames. Except, they often don't work the outside frames as much, so really less than 3 frames. I'd give them more space right away. Eventually, you can get more efficient utilization (get them to fill all the frames instead of leaving the sides empty) if you swap things around so the empties are closer to the middle, where they like to work, but you won't be doing that immediately--let them settle and grow and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
I am in hot and dry (well not at dry this exact moment) CA and I remember reading your follower board advice before we got our hives last year. Ultimately we didn’t go that way, but I wonder if we’ll have more issues with heat/airflow this year when they hives are full strength. We started with packages last year so I assume they will have more potential this year. I did take some classes from a honeybee researcher and she didn’t seem to think airflow was a big issue, but she is also from the midwest, not around here. I will say we had multiple water sources out all summer and man, you could see the bees using them heavily.