Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:
I just got interviewed by a local urban farming blogger!
http://www.farmtina.com/2010/08/a-beekeeper-in-brooklyn.html

Now that it's legal in the city (NYC), I've set up a few hives and gotten to work.

I'm also thinking of starting a blog of my own, covering beekeeping, and urban beekeeping specifically. If anyone is interested in helping out, or just wants to ask questions, let me know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

TouchyMcFeely posted:

That's awesome! I would imagine that beekeeping in a location as urban as NYC would add some pretty interesting hurdles and problems that you wouldn't run into with a bit more space like most of us have.

Glad to hear NYC finally decided to pull its head out of its rear end and allow beekeepers to come out of hiding.

Yeah, it was really exciting. My downstairs neighbor and I, who is also a beekeeper, ran out to get bees the instant it was legalized.

Anyways, the blog is up, so check it out and email me (timsbrooklynbees at gmail dot com) questions you'd like me to answer or topics you'd like me to address.

https://boroughbees.blogspot.com

Also, let me know if you see anything that needs to be worked on. I've never done a blog before, so I don't know what I'm doing with templates and such. I can use all the help I can get.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

Leperflesh posted:

So yesterday a bee got up my pants leg and stung me.

Today, my left calf and knee are swollen. Enough to worry my wife... so if it's still bad tomorrow, we're gonna go get it checked out.

I've been stung before, but I've not had such a reaction before. I hope I'm not becoming allergic!

It's good that you're going to get it checked out. While it's rare, severe allergies CAN develop over time as you become more sensitive.

Then again, it might just be that your body was already irritated about something and just over reacted to the stings be but its better safe than sorry.

Have you taken any antihistamines to help you with stings before?

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

Maximusi posted:

My neighbor, who is a doctor, saw my bee sting and basically told me that I was allergic. It's not normal to swell that much, apparently. After that, I took 2 benadryl a day just to get the swelling and itchiness down. I posted this pic on goon doctor as well and they told me the same thing. :/

A lot of GPs are terrible at allergies. Reactions to beestings vary wildly, even in the same person. Your reaction can depend on a variety of factors, such as:
Where you were stung.
How often you've been stung.
How deep the stinger worked itself.
How quickly you removed the stinger.
How much venom was injected.
The hive you were working with.

Here are two stings that I got yesterday:

Sting 1: Ring finger on right hand. Only a little penetration and a little venom. Got it out quickly and it's gone already.

Sting 2: Different hive, working without gloves again. She got me full on, stinger fully embedded and a full load of venom. Pinched out the stinger. Little pain, as long as I don't flex it, but the local swelling is impressive. It was taut, until I took Benadryl and iced it.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

Maximusi posted:

For me it took like a week for the swelling to go completely down.

Mines back to (practically) normal today. Swelling lasted for about a day and a half, which doesn't seem too bad.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

Ikantski posted:

I pulled all the full frames out of my two supers this weekend. I wasn't expecting any honey at all this year as I started the hive from a 5 frame nuc at the end of May. 15 frames were mostly capped and it worked out to about 45 pounds of amazing honey, very light and not overpoweringly sweet.

My question is what to do with the supers now? I have two large bodies on the bottom and the top one is pretty full of honey, I'm just wondering if they would be better off with that and a super for the winter or if that would make the hive too big and harder to keep warm?

Leperflesh is right. Talk to your local beekeeping association and see what they do about now. I live in NY, so our climate is reasonably similar. I've extracted my honey, and I've given the supers back to the bees for a week to allow them to clear out any of the honey that didn't spin out in the extractor. Then, depending on how their stores in the brood chamber look, I might feed them some heavy sugar syrup (2:1) to supplement.

Now is also the right time to check for any brood diseases or mite problems and treat them appropriately.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

lags posted:

This fungivirus (virungus?) is obviously a diversion created by cell phone towers and big-pesticide-resistant-corn-crops to keep us from The Truth!! :tinfoil:

Actually, this may not be too far from the truth:
http://money.cnn.com/2010/10/08/news/honey_bees_ny_times.fortune/index.htm

The researcher who published the study had/has a major grant from Bayer, producer of neonicotinoid pesticides that some have linked to bee die-offs.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

Leperflesh posted:

Fortunately it doesn't get that cold here for a while yet. At some point we may have to pick through and just try and get the best frames together into one super, and then take the other two supers' worth regardless of their state.

This is sort of what I do. I harvest all my capped honey and let them clean out the supers overnight. Then if there are any uncapped frames, I extract everything and use it for mead

Delicious mead.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

TouchyMcFeely posted:

So winter is rapidly approaching for those of us who lucky enough to have seasons.

Last year I wrapped the hive in insulation batting tucked into giant trash bags. I'm a bit torn on whether I want to do so again this year or go with the "let 'em tough it out" option. There's a fair amount of debate either way and both sides seem to make a good argument.

Anybody care to weigh in from either perspective?

I live in NYC, so I get real winters, but not deathly cold ones.

How cold do you get?

I leave my hives with plenty of ventilation. I worry more about condensation than cold, so I leave a varroa screened bottom board on the hive, along with a notched inner cover to facilitate a bit of air flow. They seem to do pretty well.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

Leperflesh posted:

Alright, my wife has been asking me to "ask the goons" about this.

On Oct. 16, we tore down the hive for a full inspection, to see where we were with the bees. So, we removed all three honey supers (all of which have open cells of honey, but no frames are more than maybe 25% full at the most), and then for the first time since we added the first honey super, we removed the queen excluder and checked out the brood chamber.

Definitely something we should do more often but it's a pain in the rear end and disturbs the bees, so we've been avoiding it.

Anyway, there's a big brood chamber (two deeps), lots of good looking bees, but we saw something really weird.

This is the center frame of the upper deep:

Here it is in larger resolution:

Closer up:

Detail of the previous pic:

Another angle:

Detail of the previous pic:

As you can see, there's lots of capped brood cells. However, a number of cells are uncapped, showing not-fully-developed metamorphosing bees! Seems wrong, I believe the bees are opening incomplete chrysalises.

You can see the "purple eyes" of live almost-bees... and you can also see some cells containing what appear to be killed semi-developed bees as well. Hard to see exactly what's going on but it sure looks like the workers are opening some cells and killing the brood.

Any idea why they'd do this?

We had the mite board in for four days, but when we removed it we couldn't find a single mite (and we've seen them before). So, this suggests it's not varroa.

We had one beekeeper over for dinner a couple nights ago, and we showed her the pics. She suggested our bees may have tracheal mites, based on a couple of pics that showed bees holding their wings in the "K" pattern (not folded all the way back). But I don't know if that could be related to this open-not-done-bee-cell thing.

Any ideas? Are we misinterpreting what we're seeing here? Fact is we've not had the brood chamber open since the spring, and at that time we saw nothing like this, but all in all we're still newb beekeepers, so if this is totally normal and/or those aren't killed half-formed bees, that would be a big relief.

K wings is the most common sign of tracheal mites, so if it's still warm enough, you should treat with menthol/thymol and knock the suckers out.

That brood pattern, the uncapped pupae and the chewed up pupae ARE likely indicative of a Varroa infestation. I assume you're using a varroa screened bottom board with your mite board, and if so it's odd that you arent seeing many drops, but you should do a sugar shake (put a handful of bees in a jar with a #8 mesh lid and powdered sugar, seal the top, shake them hard and then shake out the powdered sugar and mites (the bees will calm down after a few minutes and you can release them)) or a drone check (use an uncapping fork to spear some drone pupae and remove them from their cells). I think that you'll find varroa with either method.

They chew up the brood like that when the brood is dead and they want to remove it from the hive. The instinct to remove them is a good one ('hygienic' breeds are measured in part by how well they perform this task) but that many is a lot and suggests that they aren't keeping up. Have you been seeing any 'stunted' or 'wobbly' bees crawling in front of the hive?

Whereabouts are you located? It's pretty late in the year to be doing a full hive inspection, at least where I am.

P.S. Can I use your pictures on my blog? I'd credit them to you, of course.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

Dick Danger posted:

I can't seem to find any breeders in my state.
Let's say, theoretically, I decided to 'commandeer' a wild hive that I might theoretically come across. What if it theoretically all works out and I get this hive back to my backyard bee HQ and I introduce the wild hive to it's new home in my backyard.
Would this work? Theoretically?

This works. Practically as well as theoretically.

However, it's hard and I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a decent amount of experience. Feral colonies can be great. If they've survived more than a year or two in the wild, it means that they're of decent genetic stock, at least in terms of mite and disease resistance. They may, however, be more aggressive and less productive in terms of honey than their bred and purchased counterparts.

When people obtain feral hives, either from trees or house 'cut outs', they often will wire the naturally shaped comb full of brood and honey into standard Langstroth frames. You see those handy little holes drilled into the side of each? They're perfect for wiring in wild comb. Most beekeeping supply catalogs sell 28g stainless or galvanized wire for frame wiring use. It's the same stuff you'd use to wire in established comb. You just run wires on either side and tighten them enough to hold it in place. It's pretty simple but takes a bit of practice.

Once you get them in a hive (remember to take it far enough from their feral location that the foraging bees can't find their way back to the old hive), they'll start building the comb into the frame and on any foundation you give them.

The problem with feral colonies is that you have NO idea as to their genetic makeup, which determines much of their behavior. You can roughly estimate that a colony is italian, or carnolian, or whatever other breed in origin, but you can make no determination as to the quality until you've had them for a while and observed their behavior.

Are they calm on the comb, or do they pelt you ever time you pop open the inner cover?
Do they produce lots of honey, or barely enough for them?
How's their mite population?
Etc, etc, etc.

With a feral colony, you have to keep an extra close eye out for signs of pests and disease. These days many feral colonies are founded by bees that have absconded from their former hive because of bad conditions due to disease, pests, poor management and more. You'd have to be very vigilant to ensure that you don't just inherit someone else's problems, and until you've established that the colony was healthy, you'd probably want to keep them quarantined from other, known good colonies.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

Leperflesh posted:

Center of upper brood chamber:

You can see very sparse capped cells, many of which are breached. The bees are not working these cells at all; we didn't brush this off, it's just abandoned-looking.

A detail of another frame. It looks like a few of those grubs might be alive? But I don't know how I'd be able to tell for sure.

Here's a larger detail of one of the frames from the lower deep. You can see how most of what few capped cells remain are breached.

Another frame from the lower deep

And another

There's still a few hundreds of bees around and this is midday in 70s weather, so there's bees foraging too. The upper deep had several frames of full capped honey, and the three supers had some honey stored too, so it doesn't seem like they ran out of food or anything like that.

When we inspected on Oct 16 there were far more bees around, but between then and now it's possible they swarmed without us seeing (we can't see the hive from indoors). We've had some rain but also some warm days.

Or, the queen might still be in there, but it sure doesn't look like she's laying if she is.

Sorry dude, your bees absconded. It's not that they died, it's just that something was making the hive so unbearable that they just up and left. Without having seen your hives, I can't really tell you what it was.

Really bad mite infestations are a common cause. Lack of food/water is another. Too much heat. I see that your hives are out in the sun; if it's 70 in November, how hot does it get in the summer? How much do they have in the way of stores? It could be so many things, but in any case, your bees are gone.

A few hundred bees probably isn't a viable population. A winter cluster of Italians can contain up to 10,000 bees, to put it in perspective.

Speaking of winter, does anyone here have pictures of their hives in winter that I could use for my blog? I'm writing a series of articles on overwintering practices and am having difficulty finding pictures that I can use (open source or w/ permission.)

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

Haha, I was the 'fellow beekeeper' who sent the samples in to the food testing lab.

Cool, isn't it? Here's part one of my writeup: http://www.boroughbees.com/2010/11/mystery-of-red-honey.html

I'd love it if y'all would share it around. I'd like to have more readers than just my mother.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

Ishamael posted:

Talked to my local beekeeper this week, and he will have nucs for sale in the spring, and I am pre-ordered. I am also gonna get rid of my stupid TBH (if anyone wants to come get it it is free), and do a Lang hive instead.

Bees, I am returning to you!!

Where are you? I'm going to be running quite a few hives in Brooklyn next year and wouldn't mind playing around with a top bar hive.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

How do yall handle treating for mites in the winter?

Any opinions on Apiguard? We're trying to keep things as organic as possible, but this seems pretty harmless.

Apiguard has a temperature requirement and will only work if it's warm enough to evaporate the thymol. Same deal with formic acid pads.

Since it's the winter and there isn't much or any brood, try oxalic acid treatments. They're simple, cheap and quite effective.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

TouchyMcFeely posted:

So my colony didn't survive the winter. Rather than purchase another box I'm going to try luring a swarm using lemongrass oil.

Has anyone tried this before or have a recommendation on how much to use/when the best time is?

A.) Don't use lemongrass.
B.) Use a Nasonov or Queen pheromone swarm lure. All the supply houses sell them.
C.) Put it inside a nuc you've hoisted into a tree that has old frames of used comb.
D.) Profit.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

TouchyMcFeely posted:

Any particular reason not to use lemongrass? From what I read it seems to work pretty well even when just put on the entrance or on the top of the frames.

I also saw where some beekeepers were recommending that you take your "unwanted" queens and stick them in a jar of alcohol and let them soak for as long as possible, even up to years. Then apparently you can use the "queen tea" to attract swarms. Seems like a pretty screwed up way to go about swarm baiting from my perspective.

As I've used it, lemongrass is better food supplement than swarm attractant. A lot of the liquid food mixes, like Honey-B-Healthy, contain lemongrass because it makes the plain sugar water much more attractive to the bees. Bees prefer nectar, and people put lemongrass in their syrup to sort of bridge the gap. Swarm lures are only 5 bucks a pop anyways.

The potential problem I see with baiting using lemongrass mixture, is that you'll attract more than just honeybees.

Swarm lures contain Nasonov scent and Queen pheromones, and so they are specifically tailored to attract honeybees.

Queen tea, as you call it, is a GREAT use for a failing queen. If you need to requeen anyways, it's better to recycle the old queen as a swarm lure than it is to just toss her into the trash after you squish her. Plus, it's free.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

AFK SWARM OF BEES posted:

Went to a beekeeping meeting last night, got to talk to some interesting folks. There was a really engaging presentation by an entomologist/professor about beehives representing a "superorganism" and the genetics between supersisters and lesser sisters. It was nice to be around a bunch of people who share your enthusiasm, especially when you have a lot of friends/family who are either repulsed at the idea of bees or tired of hearing you talk about your beekeeping. :)

Our hive is going to go in a semi-shaded area beneath a fig tree in the backyard. We have a small stream that runs behind our house, and our neighbors have a pool and hot tub. I'm already dreading the idea of the bees flocking to the pool/hot tub to get water. So, I planned on putting a birdbath near the hive to give the bees another option of close water. Does anyone have any stories about bees and water sources? Do they pick a favorite source and go to it, regardless of what else is around? Or will they usually stick to whatever's closest to the hive (or most clean, most fresh)?

Beekeeping meet-ups are great, and they've really changed in recent years. When I started beekeeping, I was the youngest person in the room by about 40 years. Hell, my Dad was probably the second youngest. These day's, it's all about a younger generation finding their own way and learning from those older gentlemen. I'm no longer the youngest in the room. By far. It's fantastic.

You're always going to have a few bees wander over to your neighbor's place to find water, but if you provide a sweet and clear source of water that is constantly renewed and closer to the hive than their pool, the bees will go to that preferentially. Just make sure that you always keep it full and fresh.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

Ishamael posted:

Well, my beehive got here, and it is a mess.

Apparently there are 2 sizes of hive that dadant offers, and their website and catalog don't make that clear. So I have half the hive at one size and half at the other, and they do not go together at all!

I was going to just order another half-and-half hive and make 2 hives, a bigger and smaller, but I can't even figure out on their website which is which!!

:argh:

You got 8 frame and 10 frame?

8 frame is dumb.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

DominionGalactica posted:

Hey Touchy, I would suggest leaving the OP as it is. It has the absolute perfect amount of information and enthusiasm to hook "newbees". I basically went through the whole thread in one sitting and by the end of it was hell bent on making a top bar hive.

As a crotchety old beekeeper, please do not do this.

I know that there is a huge amount of internet hype about top bar hives and how great and 'natural' they are, but please don't buy into it just because there are forums devoted to it on the internet.

Think of it this way: In the wild bees live in hollow trees, long VERTICAL enclosed spaces. Their natural instinct is to build vertically, keeping the heavy honey at the very top of the hive where the comb is the strongest and storing the light pollen and brood at the bottom. This instinct is what beekeepers take advantage of to encourage growth and production (and limit swarming behavior) by adding additional hive bodies or supers to the top of the hive. If they always have space on top to fill, they are fooled into believing that there is always space to expand within the colony.

Bees are dumb, but they are creatures of habit. Honey is always preferentially placed vertically OVER the brood. Have you spotted the problem with top bar hives yet?

They're horizontal. No matter how many bars you add to the end, the bees are limited vertically almost immediately and so they tend to respond as such. They will build out horizontally eventually but they tend to swarm prolifically, and because you can't add more vertical boxes, there is little you can do to prevent it other than constantly cutting out queen cells or letting them swarm.

Get a Langstroth. If you decide that you want to try top bars once you get a little experience, give it a shot.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

Ishamael posted:

Well, dadant won't take back the stuff I got, since I started to put it together before realizing it was the wrong size.

Thanks a lot, dadant! You blow.

EDIT: I told them their website descriptions are crap, but they aren't changing anything, I guarantee it.

Uhhh...

I just looked at their site and their 8 frame equipment has it's own section and every piece of 8 frame equipment clearly states that it is "8 Frame" in both the name and description.

Were you drunk when you ordered?

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

Ishamael posted:

Sorry dude, this is my first Lang hive, I didn't even know there was a difference until I started assembling them. I ordered the hive base first, and then all the deeps and supers didn't say anything about how many frames they had, so I assumed all the hive pieces they sold were compatible.

Take a look at betterbee's site for an example of a site that is actually laid out well.

So you ordered all this equipment without doing any research about the standard 10 frame Langstroth hive or knowing that there was a difference between 10 and 8 frame, didn't question that half of your order had "8 frame" in the name and half didn't, ASSEMBLED the order, figured out that you screwed up, and then accused Dadant of blowing because they wouldn't let you return it?

You hosed up dude. Not them. Swallow your pride and get over it.

10 frame Langstroth ARE THE STANDARD. 10 frame equipment doesn't need to be specifically labeled as 10 frame because it is so ubiquitous AND because everything that isn't 10 frame (like 8 frame) is labed as such. I'm pretty sure that every single beginning beekeeping book has an entire section on the 10 frame Langstroth hive, and most of the newer ones make mention of 8 frame equipment and how it's different.

BetterBee has a 10 frame and an 8 frame section. Dadant (and a lot of other manufacturers) have a Woodenware section (for standard 10 frame equipment) AND an 8 Frame Woodenware section.

Did you mean to order all 8-frame equipment, or all 10 frame equipment?

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -