Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!
Hey all! First year beekeeper here and so far, it's been great. However, I noticed today that my bees have been gathering to drink from the spigot on my house. There's a clean birdbath about 15 feet from it with lillypads for them to land on, but I have yet to see a single bee at the bath. Any idea as to why this might be? My spigot doesn't usually drip, and I want to make sure my ladies are getting enough to drink!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Heyyyy all. First year beekeeper here hoping you more seasoned folk can give me some advice. I have a mentor but he's been pretty bad at communicating lately :(

So my bees have been awesome. Got a bit of a late start because I went with a queen from the Illinois Queen Initiative, which meant that she wasn't ready until the second week of May, but she's been super productive. The bees drew out every bit of comb pretty much immediately- I'm using all medium 8-frame boxes (I am very small and have only one fully functioning arm, so heft is a concern) and there are 3 boxes total currently. I'd been swapping around the order to keep them from abandoning the lowest super, and all three boxes have been chock full of brood. Hasn't been much honey aside from on the edges of the frames, but all seemed good.

Just did a hive check yesterday for the first time in about 2 weeks, and it looks like we got robbed. Or they gorged themselves during the loving nonstop rain. Either way, there are 3 frames full of honey, and that's about it. There's still some frames with eggs and brood (maybe 5?) and honey around the edges, but most of the rest of the honey is gone. There's 2 or so frames of bee bread. They were already not doing much in the way of honey storage, so now I'm freaking out that there's less than they had in September. I'm feeding them a 2:1 syrup and have moved my entrance reducer down to the smallest hole, but I'm not sure what else I should do to ensure they'll have enough to get them through our garbage Chicago winter.

I know I can't keep doing a jar feeder in the winter, and my mentor says they really won't eat anything I put in there once the weather turns anyhow, though I've read conflicting things about that. (Fondant? Candy board? Dry sugar?) I suppose it's possible my ladies will make 6 more frames of honey in a month, but I'd like to have some backup plans in order. Anybody else in a similar climate who can help me not kill this hive?

I also just saw a loving varroa mite for the first time. Any recommendations as to what to use against them this late in the year?

Melicious fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 7, 2016

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

I'm a little bit confused because you are using the word "super" to describe boxes with brood in them.

A typical hive made using mediums will have three mediums as the brood chamber, and then supers on top which would have just honey. Are you saying that at no point has your hive been larger than three medium boxes, total?

Sorry, yes, I just meant boxes. And only the three boxes, total. I had anticipated adding a fourth, but they would frequently ignore the bottom box. I just kept swapping them around anticipating they'd start using whatever was on top for honey storage, but no dice. My mentor seemed to think everything was fine, but again, he's been pretty MIA recently. This last check, all of the eggs were in the bottom box (surprise to me), but there was still larvae/capped brood throughout all 3.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Yay bees!

My super strong but honey light colony is still kickin.' I've had several peeks inside to replace their candy board, which wasn't much of an issue since the weather here in Chicago has been insanely warm. Lots of 50 degree days, a ton of my perennials are already starting to peek through the soil 😑

Do you seasoned beeks find it particularly helpful to add another couple of pounds of bees to a surviving hive in the spring? We did have heavy loss with the early freeze and snow in November, but since it's my first year, it's hard to judge if it was more than would be expected. My remaining ladies seem quite happy and calm, chowing away at their candy.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

Catberry posted:

What's wrong with it?

It shouldn't be there at all. The beekeeper probably put the inner cover on upside down.
https://honeybeesuite.com/strange-comb-in-strange-places/

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
What the gently caress are my girls finding to stuff their pollen baskets to the brim in Februrary? They're super happy that it's so warm out, but I have no idea what on earth they're foraging. My daffodils and tulips are indeed sprouting a month early, but I sure don't see any actual flowers around.

http://imgur.com/a/rhgb3

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

Aramoro posted:

Where do you live?

Haha oh right sorry, Chicago!

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

Catberry posted:

My yard is like 20 meters wide with roads on three sides. I guess I could hide a hive next to the garage over by the compost.

I live in Chicago proper, so my yard is less wide than that. And that's exactly where my beehive is- next to the garage near the fence, alley, and compost.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

Catberry posted:

Compost bees unite :jebstare::hf::jebstare:

How do bees feel about the lawn mower?

Also Swedish winters.

I'm told bees do not appreciate the lawn mower, but thankfully there is no grass near mine.

Winter sucks for everyone. :shudder:

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
How do you experienced beeks deal with swarm cells? Constant rain combined with my crappy schedule meant that I had to go a month without doing a deep hive check- I knew they were a little crowded, but looks like we've had a lot more pollen than I realized and they're starting to become honeybound. Found 4 swarm cells with uncapped larvae, went ahead and cut them off, though I know there's lots of different opinions on whether or not that's the best idea. I don't have the space or resources to split the hive, so not sure what my other options would be. In the meantime, I also added a super and swapped out some of the honeybound frames from the top box with open foundation. Thoughts?

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

Nettle Soup posted:

Edit: Oh hey, looking at the pictures I guess they're bumblebees? :3: They can stay there then, the birds have all fledged out now anyway!

Ah yep, looks like you've got a bumble bee nest in that vent. Those bees flying around are males waiting for the queen to come out for sexy times. Totally harmless, and should make for a very small nest.

https://bumblebeeconservation.org/about-bees/habitats/bumblebee-nests/

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
lovely days at the hive. Everything was going great- so great that it swarmed despite my efforts to discourage it. We were able to capture the swarm, but later could find no evidence of the queen having made it into the new hive. Re-integrated them into the old hive, where we also saw no new eggs after 2 weeks but assumed we were just still waiting for the virgin queen to get going. Still no eggs after 3 weeks, so I got another queen from my local breeder. I had to go out of town for the weekend, so I tasked the boyfriend with installing the queen cage. He'd been helping me at the hive, we went over the instructions a dozen times, and he said he was confident he knew what he was doing. Cut to me opening the hive today to release the queen and finding that he had put the cage between two outer frames on an upper box that was mostly filled with pollen. The queen is dead. I'm way pissed at my dumbass boyfriend who basically said "I saw a ton of bees there so I thought that was a good place" despite me having told him to put it in the center of one of the bottom two boxes. Regardless, my queen supplier thinks that it might not have mattered because the nurse bees should have found her anyway, so it's likely all the bees are too old to have tended to her. He thinks it's too late to try to put another queen in there and that the only solution is to seal the existing hive with some screen, move it a foot away, put a nuc hive in its place, and reopen the old hive after a couple of days with the hope that they just filter into the nuc hive.

I certainly trust this guy as he's been keeping bees for like 30 years, but I just want to see if anybody's got differing opinions. Any thoughts? It's been just over 4 weeks now since the swarm, and I'm so loving bummed I went from one enormous hive to two hives to one dying hive. In the meantime, I'm planning on picking up the nuc on Thursday. Sigh.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Really sorry to hear it, but I think your local guy's advice is sound. You may or may not get the queenless bees to rejoin, but either way, the nuc should go well.

Is there a particular reason to do it this way rather than just combining the two with newspaper between?

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

I posted:

lovely days at the hive. 3 queens gone, gotta install a nuc, etc

Far better days at the hive! So I ended up asking my old timer beek about his reasoning for not just doing the newspaper method, and he laughed and told me that was probably a better solution that simply didn't occur to him as he was overthinking it. So that's what I did. The nuc ended up not being very big- not much in the way of drawn comb, and just shy of two frames of eggs and brood. Still better than zero, though, and all I really needed was a queen and nurse bees anyhow. Installation went well, very few dead bees, but did not spy the new queen. Split my two full honey supers between the existing hive and the nuc box to ensure everybody had food if poo poo hit the fan, spread the newspaper between, and waited. Opened it back up today for the first time since- it's been 12 days. The newspaper was completely gone, and there was only about half a frame of capped brood in the nuc box, no eggs or larvae. All the frames were drawn, though. The queen thankfully has moved to her rightful home in the original bottom two boxes and is laying like a champ there. Tons of eggs and larvae, super tight pattern, and I spied the lady going about her business. She is loving ENORMOUS, easily the biggest queen I have ever seen. Unfortunately my poo poo rear end Chinese GoPro knockoff decided to die for no reason just as I was getting to her frame, so I didn't get any shots of her. Her big butt will hard to miss in the future, though.

Bees all were super calm again, far less runny. Fuckin relieved.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
I lost my hive to Varroa in late autumn. Went from insanely huge and thriving to absolutely decimated in just a couple of weeks. Guess my oxalic treatments were too late.

My new package and queen should be here in the next couple of weeks. I’m also grabbing a nuc to start a second hive off on a good foot. Here’s to hoping both hives kick rear end all year!

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Any other New England/northerly seaboard region beekeepers? I'm wondering if something odd I found was a rather early hive robbery attempt.

Chicago here, but I’m having the same issue with a new hive I installed a week ago with a nuc. Almost seems like they’ve been poisoned, but not the entire hive.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I found a few more dead this evening so I'm starting to wonder like... tracheal mites? Saw more acting weird in the grass today. I don't want to have to collect a sample for labwork. :smith: Good luck to you and your bees.

Same here. I gave them a jar of syrup today with some Honey B-Healthy in it, fingers crossed that’ll help somehow.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
This morning there were even more sick bees crawling around. It's the first warm day where it hasn't been pouring rain since I installed the nuc last weekend, so I cracked the hive open and it's a full disaster inside. Tons of dead brood, bottom board covered in dead bees, just decimated. Did the toothpick test, no stringiness, and there's no odor. Queen has moved into the upper box and everything there looks healthy so far, but the bottom is rough stuff. Not nearly as many bees as there should be. Talked to my mentor, he thinks it's probably poisoning picked up by foragers, then they just weren't strong enough to keep the brood warm during the cold snap. He's going to bring me more bees and brood on Wednesday to try to boost it. The hive right next to it has no outward signs of trouble, but I haven't opened it up yet as a storm is rolling in.

gently caress, man.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
I'm afraid there's no good news coming from my nuc hive. My mentor came over today to have a look and bring me more bees, and it was even worse inside than on Monday. Just as many dead adult bees on the bottom board as there were 2 days ago, and now the upper box larvae was also totally sick. We both agreed it looked like EFB, though that doesn't explain the dead adults, so probably also Nosema or god knows what. Just a mess of problems. I had a deadout last year that we attributed to varroa, and I re-used all the equipment from that hive on both my new hives this year. Looks like some nasty spores and bacteria may have been in the old stuff after all, though the other hive is going gangbusters with no problems (knock on wood oh god). Or the bees picked it up elsewhere. Who knows. At any rate, we decided that despite the queen being a prolific layer and there being a pretty good number of bees still in the hive, my best solution was to just scrap it. I loving hate it, but I also don't want to treat it with antibiotics only to have it grow for a month or two and then get sick again in some lovely endless antibiotic-illness cycle. I also don't want my other hive contracting whatever combination of nastiness the other is dealing with, so... goodbye hive #2. Put all the brood comb and bees in a garbage bag, will attempt to sanitize the boxes, bottom board, and inner/outer covers tonight with bleach and acetic acid. Gonna do the same on all my other old boxes and frames, still debating whether or not I should trash all the old comb and honey. Any thoughts? Been reading up like crazy and there seems to be a lot of debate as to whether or not sanitizing this stuff without radiation is possible/necessary.

Meanwhile, he gave me another nuc, which I've set up in mostly new equipment, though there are like 3 old frames in there. Fingers crossed for nothing like this last nuc, and that both these hives will thrive. He doesn't seem to think there's much danger. I feel like poo poo. Onward and upward, hopefully.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

How are you handling the acetic acid for cleanup? Last year was my first time using it to fumigate. This year the weather has been too unpredictable.

...Actually, Melicious, you might want to try this too.

https://www.ars.usda.gov/northeast-...gnosis-service/

Honestly, I have no idea! My mentor simply recommended bleach, but I've been reading all day about sanitizing methods and seeing a lot about acetic acid. No idea if it's going to be worth the fuss, though, I've never used it. Still researching...

Ugh I was thinking I should send in samples for testing, but my mentor actually took everything we're destroying with him to burn it. I could maybe get like 100 bees off the ground, but that's probably not advisable.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I'm sending dead in the dirt bees as one sample; as long as they're not decayed, it should be okay!

e: also I literally found one supplier of acetic acid at a usable strength. Duda Diesel. You have to dilute it. You'll need appropriate PPE. Actually the whole process is kind of a pain in the rear end, I can PM you about it?

Please do, though I think I've settled on not bothering with the acetic simply because of the hassle. I figure I'll dip everything in bleach, then let dry, then torch, then freeze. Hopefully that will get rid of any lingering beasties. Gonna extract the 8 old frames full of honey for myself, then have a bonfire. RIP bees (and money)

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Have you all ever seen a langstroth hive make frames of all drone brood? The frame wasn't a drone foundation frame.

The only time I’ve seen anything like that was with a failing queen.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Both of my hives died late December. Both were large and had tons of food going into the winter, but one had a super late season Varroa outbreak around Halloween. Went from super low mite counts to a hive full of DWV in a shockingly short amount of time, even after having treated prophylactically. Didn’t have high hopes for that hive despite its huge size, especially considering we had such a sudden, lengthy cold snap. Sub-freezing temps for all of November.

My other hive was enormous and thriving, so no idea what happened there. Haven’t done a full autopsy yet, but it looks like they had dysentery, and I’m guessing Nosema. I blame the terrible November weather, but who knows. I sent samples from both hives to be analyzed, we’ll see what comes back.

loving sucks. At this point I feel like I need to scrap all of my frames and comb and start over, which of course I really don’t want to do. Sigh. I also got an IR camera for xmas, was really looking forward to monitoring the cluster with it. So it goes.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Standard langstroth hives. Prepped with oxalic treatments, fumagilin b, a different type of winter quilt on each hive (one with cedar chips, the other with an insulation board from a bee supply store), both wrapped in tar paper. Condensed both hives down as much as possible but the hives were so huge and the queens still laying when the weather turned freezing, so they were still taller than in previous years.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Moisture is definitely a problem here, especially considering how wet it was before/after the cold snap. The quilts were doing their jobs, though, and I even put in sugar cakes for a food/condensation failsafe. These bees were sick, not wet.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

tuo posted:

Could you elaborate on that? It sounds interesting. Thank you in advance.

Sure. Sugar cakes are basically just a no-cook candy, with 1 Tb water mixed per pound of sugar, then left to dry and solidify in a mold of some sort for a day or two. In one hive, I did just a plain cake popped out of a paper plate. The weaker hive got a full candy board, pretty much following this guide. https://honeybeesuite.com/no-cook-candy-board-recipe-for-feeding-winter-bees/

I really like this method and will probably do it again next year despite my hives’ failure this year. I certainly don’t think the sugar cakes were their downfall...

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

Ghostnuke posted:

Ugh, my package hasn't done poo poo in two weeks. They haven't built out a single frame. They'd be totally hosed if I hadn't put an old frame in there.

I checked them today and didn't see any capped over brood or the queen. Saw some eggs, though I saw some cells with multiple eggs so I've either got a lazy af queen or laying workers :argh:

Did you coat the new frames with fresh wax? Sometimes that’s the only way to get them to build where you want them to.

As far as I know, multiple eggs per cell only occurs with laying workers. You can try to requeen but they might not accept her.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

tuo posted:

Another day, another swarm. I am running out of hive-boxes/nucs to put them in, and I think I am developing an unhealthy relationship to ladders.

It's pretty crazy what's happening here at the moment.

Ugh, I’m jealous. Nonstop rain and <50 degree temps here for the last 2 months. The bees aren’t getting a chance to do much of anything. I’m still waiting for the NUCs I ordered that were supposed to be ready at the end of April.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Well, finally got the NUCs I ordered. The weather has been garbage, and my bee guy warned that they were a little smaller than he’d hoped. One of them is plenty big, the other fairly small. There’s comb on all 5 frames, but overall it didn’t appear to be thriving like the other one. Got them both installed on Sunday during a brief respite from the constant rain and was a bit troubled to see a few bees in the smaller nuc that seemed to have trouble flying but hoped they were just disoriented or something.

Today it’s actually beautiful out, so I went to check the activity at the hives. The larger nuc looks great, lots of orientation flights and overall healthy activity.

The smaller nuc, though, I don’t know. A handful of bees are crawling around on the ground, there’s a few dead young bees here and there, and a bunch of bees just hanging out on the outer cover barely moving. This worries me. I texted my supplier but haven’t heard back yet. Don’t know what this could be other than some weird virus, also don’t know if I should ask for a replacement NUC or just try replacing the queen... either way, bummed it looks this way after such a long wait. I also foolishly forgot that he sent all his hives to California this winter, so it’s not the typical overwintered Illinois stock I try to stick with. Blarg.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

tuo posted:

Are there poo poo-stains in the hive? Or at the entry to the hive?

Nope. Forgot to mention earlier that some of the larvae is positioned funky in the cell, and today I saw one perforated cell that looked like sacbrood... all the brood frames are pretty dry, I was going to give them a bucket of syrup but now I just want to get rid of the dang thing.

E: just talked to the supplier, he’s dumbfounded but giving me a replacement tonight. Of course, I still have to drive out to BFE to get it, but whatever. Hoping nothing spread to the other hive, it looks great so far but who the hell knows. Also hoping the replacement will be healthy...

Melicious fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 23, 2019

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Welp.

Last week, I gave back the sickly nuc to my supplier and got another sickly nuc in return. We did the swap at night, so I couldn't get a look at it until I installed it the next day. Immediately was worried because of how small the population was, but figured I'd give it a week and see how it did. Went in a week later, no improvement- only 2 frames of brood despite the nuc having been given 5 fully drawn frames. A few cells with perforated caps and sacbrood looking larvae, a few drones being evicted from cells, and still a handful of sickly bees crawling around in front. They also had made a swarm cell that appeared to have larva in it- they definitely didn't have the population to swarm, so I refrained from cutting it off in case they were trying to supersede. Texted my supplier that I didn't want to be a pain, but this one wasn't looking good, either. He responded that I was making something out of nothing, that the nuc I gave back to him was totally fine, and this nuc probably just got wet and chilled. I told him I disagreed and would expect to see SOME growth from a nuc even in less-than-optimal weather conditions, but that I hoped he was right. That was Wednesday.

Yesterday, I was out gardening near the hives and found the queen from the weak nuc dead on the ground about 6 feet from the hive. Cracked the hive open and the "swarm" cell has been capped and they're working on 2 emergency cells, too. So clearly I'm not the only one who felt the hive was failing. Texted the supplier and he replied "WHAT?" and nothing else since.

So now I'm trying to figure out if I should just let the existing queen cell(s) hatch and hope that they're free of sacbrood/whatever other poo poo their mom had going on, or purchase a new hygienic queen from the other supplier I know. Obviously the former is easier, but ugggh. One thing is clear, I'm done with my old supplier. What do you folks think? I assume I should probably give them a frame of younger larvae from my healthy hive, too...

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

tuo posted:

I know I'll never again pick up a box of bees without looking into them, simply because I (used) to trust the seller.

Amen to that.

Grabbed a queen from another local breeder today, actually from the Minnesota Hygienic line. I’ve been wanting to try one out for a while, so I’m kind of psyched to have been forced into it. I cut out the existing queen cells, slid in a frame of eggs, young larvae and nurse bees from my strong hive, and installed the cage this afternoon. The bees were all super chill, hopefully everything goes well. :ohdear:

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
So my sickly nuc where they booted the queen seems to be doing okay. Larvae looks super healthy so far but it hasn't been long enough for any new adults yet. They're eating like crazy, though, and bringing in tons of pollen. Also, boy howdy now that I've gotten a look at the queen out of her cage, is she beautiful. Really nice brindle coloring. The bees still aren't building on the foundation frames, though, and have completely ignored a frame of drawn old comb that came with the nuc. I wedged it between two frames of brood, hopefully they'll start using it. At least there's no signs of disease... yet.

The other hive, from the same breeder who told me I was overreacting about the lovely nuc, is worrying me. It arrived much larger than the lovely nuc, and the bees continue to build comb like crazy. The queen is laying well, but every inspection I'm seeing a few cells of what looks like sacbrood or something similar- capped brood that's being opened up and carried out by the workers. There's also always a few sickly bees in front of the hive. I was hoping things would right themselves with a good nectar flow, but it seems to be staying roughly the same. Of course, the weather has been absolute poo poo all season, just constant rain and barely any days above 60 degrees, so I'm sure that's not helping. The weird thing is that I'm only seeing the brood funkiness on 2 frames- 2 clearly rather old frames that came with the nuc. No signs of issues (so far) on any of the fresh wax frames despite tons of brood. Maybe it's coincidental, maybe not? They're also backfilling those old frames with a shitload of pollen so there's less and less space on them for her to lay, which seems doubly weird since they're right in the middle of the nest. I figure I should pull the old frames just to be safe, though I'm not holding my breath it'll solve anything. Do y'all think I should just soldier on and see how things go? Or should I just pinch and replace this other queen, too, right now?

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Hm, dunno where you guys are but here in Chicago I had a banner season for honey production and comb building despite a lovely, late start and at least one garbage queen.

Did you try coating the foundation with fresh melted wax? Also, when adding boxes with bare foundation, I always swap a few drawn frames into the new box and a couple foundation into the old. Having drawn comb in close proximity always helps them build new stuff faster.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

Johnny-on-the-Spot posted:

Oh bother, I'll keep that in mind next year. I got started late this year, and have been a bit behind schedule.

Brushing fresh melted wax on the foundation before putting it in the hive will get your bees to draw it out a ton faster.

Mine usually are done with wax by now but one of the hives totally shocked me by connecting every drat box with tons of burr comb over the last two weeks. :shrug:

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

tuo posted:

Speaking of bees wax...

Yiiiiiiiikes. Any possibility of them giving refunds?

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
You can totally patch up the hole. Alternatively, use it as an upper entrance, depending on where this box is.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
I think you should be fine. You could even slide a sugar cake in there for the winter if you wanted to give them a failsafe + some condensation control.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

tuo posted:

Regarding the sugar cake: I lost the link to the article on how to make them. Someone has that handy? I might need it for one of my weak hives....they were very slow on the uptake and are on the "light" side in regard to food.

This is the guide I’ve used in the past, though I’ve been reading about some folks adding vinegar to bring the cakes’ PH closer to that of honey.
https://honeybeesuite.com/no-cook-candy-board-recipe-for-feeding-winter-bees/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
The weather in Chicago has been all over the place. After a BRUTAL November, it actually was in the 60’s last week. I cracked both of my hives open and they looked good, though one was really aggressive and the other super chill. The chill hive also had eaten the entire sugar cake I gave them, so I have no idea if they’ve already eaten all of their honey or are just preferring the sugar, but whatever. Gave them two more cakes. This week has been much colder, but today it’s in the 40s. My infrared camera shows the aggressive hive still clustered in the bottom box, but shrinking. The chill hive has a massive cluster way up top, so I predict I’ll be replacing the sugar cakes pretty quickly.

I’m happy both hives are still kicking, but don’t have a ton of hope for the smaller one. Of course, going into the fall, it had been the stronger of the two. Nature is weird. :shrug: