Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
And Get the **** Off My **** Lawn! ;-)

I started with the Basic Set in 1979 when I was a 12 year-old Tolkien-o-phile and then quickly moved on to AD&D in 1980. The 1E books were written by adult wargamers for a literate demographic of bright high schoolers and college students. I still have my near-pristine PHB, MM, DMG, D&D, and FF. Why did I keep them all of these years even though my actual playing of D&D waned considerably?

Two reasons: 1) AD&D was an important childhood touchstone; 2) the books were aimed at an educated, reasonably sophisticated demographic, not a grabasstic hoard of zit-popping button mashers. From time to time I still pull out one or more of my books and read through them for sake of entertainment and nostalgia because they were that well written. The same cannot be said of the lifeless dreck WotC churned out for 4E.

It's high time that they recognize their mistake and accept and remedy it in 5E by starting with the assumption that their audience is both literate and intelligent. Any tabletop RPG designed to appeal to the least common denominator will fail in spades because the people willing to spend 4-6 hours once or twice per week gathered around a table to roleplay and engage in good-natured arguments over weapon speeds and "to hit" adjustments of customized gear aren't going to be satisfied with dull, ultra-streamlined prose and rulesets. We're better than that and we demand more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
For me, it's nothing at all to do with the content. It's all to do with the writing style.

Play a dragonborn if:
- You want to be scaly.

...is a style of writing which doesn't just fail to engage me, it pushes me away. It says to me "You, an adult, are playing a game designed for children".

I also refuse to believe that a young teenager is bamboozled by paragraphs. I was able to handle the horror of the paragraph when I was young, and I'm pretty sure I wasn't a child prodigy or anything.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

quote:

This is a pretty gross exggeration, and either speaks to a profound level of ignorance which someone with your prominence on this forum simply shouldn't have, or a very obnoxious level of passive-aggressive edition hating.

To quote from right under the Dragonborn statblock:
"Born to fight, dragonborn are a race of wandering mercenaries, soldiers and adventurers."
Right there we've got a lot more than just "be scaly." But it doesn't stop there, and that was only the FIRST LINE.
"Long ago, their empire contended for worldwide domnision..."
In the first half of the SECOND line, we give players a great reason to play dragonborn: worldwide conquest. But maybe we need more.
"...but now only a few rootless clans of these honorable warriors remain to pass on their legends of acnient glory."
Here's some GREAT matieral. You are one of a few, perhaps the last of your kind, you can seek to rekindle your empire, make one last great mark for the Dragonborn people, or all sorts of things.

Alright alright, there is that list that says things like:
"look like a dragon"
"be a proud heir of an ancient, fallen empire"
"breath acid, fold, fire, lightning, or poison"
"to be a member of a race that favors the warlord, fighter or paladin classes"

Alright, you get the first one.
Second one? Nope back to the good material.
Third? Eh, 50/50 that appeals to some people.
Fourth? Could apply to a lot of races, but certainly gives you an idea for your character beyond "scaly".

The book then spends a FULL page going into greater detail, and there's also a short handbook of some 20 pages talking about the race.

So I'm sorry Morrus, but you either didn't bother to read the 4e PHB, or are passivly trying to start up an edition war. Because the book does not simply say "play dragonborn if you want to be scaly." In fact, only a tiny fragment of the written material on the Dragonborn in the PHB even references their draconic ancestry.

Let's be clear.

You are welcome to disagree with me. You are welcome to debate my opinions. You are NOT welcome to make personal attacks against me or anyone else on these forums. There are no exceptions, no matter how right you feel.

I hope that's crystal clear. Feel free to discuss the subject without the insults or email me if you're unclear on EN World's rules.

AntimatterSpork
Apr 23, 2008

Modéré, je vous prie.
this game i ahve been playing since i was literally 12 is a game for children i am so mad about this

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Oh man, "Goblinworks" has a kickstarter!

That's right! All Ryan Dancey needs is $50,000 and he can... make a tech demo to show to investors to ask for more money!

:allears:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ProfessorCirno posted:

Let's be clear.

You are welcome to disagree with me. You are welcome to debate my opinions. You are NOT welcome to make personal attacks against me or anyone else on these forums. There are no exceptions, no matter how right you feel.

I hope that's crystal clear. Feel free to discuss the subject without the insults or email me if you're unclear on EN World's rules.

:allears: Pointing out I'm wrong = Personal attack!

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Dr Pepper posted:

I'm seriously trying to figure out what that person wanted.

I mean, it sounds like "refluff a non magic class as magic" except then he says "Of course it's not magic! I mean, it's not using the magic rules!" :psyduck:

He wanted to write "WIZARDS ARE BETTER NYAH NYAH NYAH" on the side of his dick and slap everybody in the face with it. Sadly, he could only get to the first E.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Also I love that that is an official moderator comment. It's like, when you have one of the mods of the site making such a stupid statement, in which someone throughly debunks, and rightfully points out such a dumb statement can only have come through ignorance or trolling. You can tell he freaked out, burst into an explosion of indignit nerd rage. "HOW DARE HE CALL ME WRONG! :qq:" But then he remembered his mod powers, and threw down the law. "Heh, that'll teach him to disagree with me. :smug:"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ettin posted:

That's right! All Ryan Dancey needs is $50,000 and he can... make a tech demo to show to investors to ask for more money!

This is going to be the best game that never happens.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

An adult who enjoys playing games played by children becomes incredibly upset when confronted with the realization that he plays games played by children.

grognards dot txt

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Wait, did that guy use 'streamlined' as an insult to prose?

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

ProfessorCirno posted:

people willing to spend 4-6 hours once or twice per week gathered around a table to roleplay and engage in good-natured arguments over weapon speeds and "to hit" adjustments of customized gear
Sounds like a bunch of ROLLplayers to me.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Dr Pepper posted:

I'm seriously trying to figure out what that person wanted.

I mean, it sounds like "refluff a non magic class as magic" except then he says "Of course it's not magic! I mean, it's not using the magic rules!" :psyduck:

He is disingenuously setting up an impossible task to prove that reskinning is impossible. "Because you can't cast the specific spells from the back of the book without using one of the classes that casts spells from the back of the book, it's impossible to reskin another class as a 'spellcaster' QED. :smug:"

Newfork
Feb 13, 2012

There are innumerable ways in which I can stop you.

Ettin posted:

I can't wait to pay 30 dollars for a special message board icon and a pathfinder pdf, while ostensibly funding an investment pitch :allears:

There's so many layers of sheer insanity to the entire thing that I can hardly catch all the hilarity of it. They're kickstarting their pitch to investors and they have over :15000bux: for this . But you'll get to watch a kickass Let's Play of it!

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
Where do people get the idea that 4E's prose is dumbed down for like elementary school kids? I mean, that one quote was the first time someone ever actually tried to give an example, and it was pretty much Epic Fail in every way.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Newfork posted:

I can't wait to pay 30 dollars for a special message board icon and a pathfinder pdf, while ostensibly funding an investment pitch :allears:

There's so many layers of sheer insanity to the entire thing that I can hardly catch all the hilarity of it. They're kickstarting their pitch to investors and they have over :15000bux: for this . But you'll get to watch a kickass Let's Play of it!
What's even worse? Look at the number of backers for some of the higher donation brackets. Four people gave $500+. Someone got in the $1000+ group. Someone literally paid at least 5000 USD to make this happen. I know a lot of grogs brag about children not having the kind of disposable income they do when it comes to spending it on RPGs but holy gently caress that is a new level of insanity.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Guilty Spork posted:

Where do people get the idea that 4E's prose is dumbed down for like elementary school kids? I mean, that one quote was the first time someone ever actually tried to give an example, and it was pretty much Epic Fail in every way.

The rules are stated clearly and plainly and aren't hidden behind obscure prose therefore its dumbed down baby game.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Newfork posted:

You have to admire Paizo for their consistency and attention to detail. In keeping with the Pathfinder brand identity of re-publishing content that WotC had to pay for, the photo of Rich Baker on that Kickstarter page is hosted on images.wizards.com.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Squizzle posted:

You have to admire Paizo for their consistency and attention to detail. In keeping with the Pathfinder brand identity of re-publishing content that WotC had to pay for, the photo of Rich Baker on that Kickstarter page is hosted on images.wizards.com.

Haha holy poo poo this is true, I wish we could just emptyquote this for the entire page

AntimatterSpork
Apr 23, 2008

Modéré, je vous prie.

Squizzle posted:

i cant stop laughing

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Squizzle posted:

I've lost it. I can't. I can't. I cannot.

Newfork
Feb 13, 2012

There are innumerable ways in which I can stop you.

Squizzle posted:

Look at that determination to produce quality knockoff D&D product

I can't muster any more admiration for wotc_richbaker

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
They got a report button at the bottom of every project page, just sayin'.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Squizzle posted:

Oh my goodness gracious

rekenner
Oct 29, 2007

Squizzle posted:

paizo.txt

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Squizzle posted:

Holy loving shiiiiiit :stare:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Squizzle posted:

Hahaahah holy poo poo that's beautiful.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Squizzle posted:

Its everything terrible about Pazio summed up with a single image.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Squizzle posted:

Should've sent a poet.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Ahahahahahahaha :allears: Beautiful.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Squizzle posted:

I just want to see this emptyquoted until the end of time

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Squizzle posted:

In the grim dark future there is only :bandwagon:

What the hell?

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Squizzle posted:

I just want to post this on the Paizo Facebook page forever.

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007

Squizzle posted:

This is amazing. I scared the dog laughing so hard.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Squizzle posted:

This is just amazingly beautiful.

Lochness_Hamster
Sep 27, 2007
So no mention of this so far on ENworld, i think even Morrus knows this is when Paizo "Jumped the Shark"

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

Squizzle posted:

hahahahahaha yesssss

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there are no words

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Squizzle posted:

Bravo, Goblinworks. Bravo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They fixed it already? Awwww :(