Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
First of all, I'm currently going through job interviews, ad searching, and auditions so that my mom and I don't get kicked out. I have time to post in-between because Im at the computer during ad searching but not to run a session. Maybe in a couple of months but not NOW. My article update is going to have to wait until after Tuesday. I've got a monologue to prepare.

Oh, and my gaming history as requested, noting the more influential events. Some of these overlap with each other, in which they happen at the same time. This doesn't include the thousands of hours of fantasy RPG video games, comics, books, movies, cartoons, and tv shows I've absorbed because that's more than I care to write down. I may have missed a few things related to tabletop but this is what I've got to share for now.

age 9 and earlier - introduction to fantasy games: Might and Magic on the C64

age 9 or 10 - introduced to fantasy games with actual story in the form of Final Fantasy IV - was given Dragon Quest game as a birthday present

age 12 - introduction to Advanced Dungeons and Dragons 2nd edition

age 13 - introduction to Dark Sun, Gamma World

age 17 - finally put down the "Dragon Kings" book and took a break from RPing in general - rolled more new characters than I can remember since age 13 - either for fun or character death (Dark Sun was brutal)

age 18-22 - played various trading card games a lot - wrote "Deck Master" rules book for YuGiOh that I never tried to publish - over 1,000 monsters covered, wrote various free rules supplements for YuGiOh, Magic, and Fullmetal Alchemist including 10,000 random effect dice roller (no 2 effects were the same) for YuGiOh

age 23-25 - played in a FR campaign from 3rd to 15th level, sessions were 3 1/2 to 5 hours long - was the paperwork keeper for party activities, including a theater house, a large adventurer's guild, special projects including airship construction - experiemented heavily with race, class, and spell design - also made a final fantasy tabletop rpg reinventing a few 3.5 rules and rewriting every single spell and power in the SRD + new additions

age 23-26 - spent a lot of time at local Barnes and Nobles reading various RPG books like Mutants and Masterminds, the Complete supplements, and Vampire the Masquerade

age 25-26 - DMed both 3.5e and 4e weekly for friend and his church youth group - sessions were 6 to 8 hours long - varied from 5-8 in the party - used remnants of the ff rpg 3.75e combined with 4e to make ff rpg 5e (50% complete currently) - played World of Darkness for 1 session - played Earthdawn for three 3-hour sessions, used rules from every RPG I ever played or read (including video games) as inspiration for some big ideas in ff rpg 5e - added content to FF 4e at final fantasy d20, keeping ff rpg 5e secrets to myself until I can publish it under an official license (coming late 2010 or early 2011 if things go well) or a new title without the ff flavor.

age 26 - made horrible business plan to run pay-for-play campaign - worked on creating a theatrical feel for sessions (currently unproven methodology) after going through lots of GMing forum threads - currently writing article for purpose of debate - looking for job

Whew. That's a load off my chest.

In hindsight, a workable business plan might be to work for hire instead trying to tackle a 6-day campaign. Respectable acting credits combined with published game design and story writing might make the big difference in attracting customers, particularly the kind that might pay a lot more than $20 for a session. That might work out lucratively.

I'll be back with the article hopefully Wednesday. No more posts from me until then.

Viola, here I come!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

Triphos posted:

that's actually pretty cool

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

Mikan posted:

For giggles, and to make a point, I want to make the unoptimal character.

Um, excuse me sir. I believe we have already established that only OD&D is for character building.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
You are goddamned right TSR/WOTC should have.

Imagine if Magic did a total revamp and made all the cards incompatible.

Just ask Wizkids how well that turned out. Oh. Can't. It basically helped kill them, or at least many of their lines.

Ask Rackham how the new ruleset and amount of minis required for 4th edition Confrontation is working out for them. (I like the game, but it has landed with a dull thud at best.)

I'll be over here buying stuff for new and different games, or supporting the ones that don't make me replace almost everything except maybe the dice every few years.

Why buy a new version of an existing game that was apparently loving fine when it was around, but is immediately poo poo the second the beancounters decide its time to scam the consumer whores with a brand name obsession?

As to you EXPLAIN VIDEOGAMES folks? First off, videogames are different than hobby games. Hobby games can effectively be played as long as someone is willing to run them. Its part of the glories of paper and ink. Second, its amazing how many games are little more than point upgrades with new missions anyhow. Is Halo 1 really that massively different from 3? Even on a different platform with a new engine its the same game. Hell, Fallout 3 is pretty much built on Oblivion's engine. Some game companies do little more than sell game engines others bolt their game on top of!

And an edit with something I just thought of:

How come you 4e fans seem hell bent on stopping any negative commentary about 4e wherever it is found, like some kind of consumer product white knight? Do you really think its gonna make the haters magically decide to drop whichever edition or RPG they had and be born again, and join you in consumerist bliss? If its as good as yall say and doing as well as yall think its destined to be, you don't need to do any defending.

Unless like, your self esteem is so low you can't take anyone not liking what you do, or perhaps, you just don't like what the detractors are saying, and you hope if you yell real loud, it will somehow not be true, that the cracks aren't really there and those who chose not to buy for whatever reason are in the wrong....

Yall sound like furries really. I don't actually care what you do, however since its not illegal or genuinely harmful (except maybe to my potential player pool of a pleasant time wasting hobby) I will defend your right to do it.

But I will be god damned if I praise you for it.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
Today I was going to do a classic rant on account that its the day The Wench heads back to Canada. But I decided that instead I'd be writing about a fairly classic topic, something I haven't ranted about in a long time: RPG.net.

RPG.net has changed a lot in the past year or so; they've moderated considerably their moderation policy (pardon the pun) and they've gotten rid of some of the worst offenders of the modclique; the clique's power has been broken, it would seem, largely because they saw people leaving the site in droves. In some part it was due to theRPGsite, and the fact that we demonstrated that you can have intelligent discussion that is MORE interesting by virtue of being unmoderated. But it was also, and much more directly, due to the fact that people were just sick and fed up with the atmosphere of total repression on there, where you couldn't say anything meaningful about anything without someone reporting it as a "group attack" or a "hurt my feelings attack", nor could you express any opinion contrary to the "mainstream" (the "mainstream" for RPG.net, namely its modclique) without the modclique coming down on you for being "intentionally obtuse" or a "disruptive influence" that hurts their "emotionally safe environment". In other words, you dared to disagree, so you're going to be banned.

Those times have passed, mostly, and so there's been less reason to write about RPG.net in recent days. But they're in the process of purging a ton of their old Tangency threads, and that creates some interesting historical information. It gives us a chance to see how the gently caress RPG.net got to where it got with the modclique, how it went so horribly wrong.
Because there was a time when RPG.net was essentially unmoderated, and where the general atmosphere was one of open flame-wars unlike anything theRPGsite has ever seen. And somehow it went from that to the police state we know now. The question "how did that happen?", how did it get subverted into a place where a tiny minority were in total control of the discussion, the opinion, and the atmosphere of the place come to pass?

Threads like the "no report pledge" thread where Gareth Michael-Skarka was trying to fight against the rising of the tide present a very clear indication of how things fell apart. By the time that was posted, admins like Cessna had managed to allow themselves to buy into the idea that they needed to bring in people like Darren or Eric Brennan into mod status, and that measures had to be taken to make RPG.net into an "emotionally safe environment".
So things changed from where people would work things out among themselves by argument or discourse into a situation where "reporting" had become the main past-time of a significant group in the board. This group had influenced things to make it that you could report another poster for hurting your feelings, and they had worked it out so that there would be moderators friendly to them in place to ban said people.

And then, of course, they set about to using the Report function. By tattling on everyone they didn't like, as often as they possibly could, they were making a concerted effort to purge the boards of their ideological opponents, while those who were believers in free speech were not inclined to report anyone.

That meant that the free-speech advocates were automatically at a disadvantage of massive proportions; unwilling to report others, they were being reported on by those who hated them for not wanting the board to be moderated. It was only a matter of time until all of these people were hounded out.

Cessna and Darren have posted to the "No Report Pledge" thread as if it somehow vindicates their moderation policies, Cessna pointing out that allegedly, GMS himself reported a dozen people from that pledge.
Well, for starters, I'd say that this thread pretty well DAMNS you, Cessna. It shows with such clarity how assholes from what was to become the modclique came in, provoked those who were advocates of free speech, tried to disrupt an effort to speak out against their pogroms and secret policing, and generally tried every trick in the book to manipulate or intimidate those who didn't want RPG.net to turn into what it eventually turned into. It was nothing short of visionary, that thread, in that GMS was trying to argue against a future that most definitely came to pass, one where in the name of "security" NO ONE on RPG.net could safely speak about ANYTHING, unless they had a Mod badge on.
And then you have the gall to point out that GMS was reporting people? This was like tying one hand behind his back and going out and telling him to fight; then accusing him of dirty tactics because he wasn't standing still when they beat him.
His reports weren't an effort to tattle, they were self-defense, trying to shout out against the system.

Finally, theRPGsite, just as it played a part in bringing the Modclique down, has served to vindicate not just all those who were banned in RPG.net but all of those who were argued down with the claim that moderation and reporting and banning were required to create a site where people could have interesting conversations; or where it was claimed that people are incapable of policing themselves and needed a system of reporting and punishment.

Those who argued this were wrong, and many of them were more than wrong, they were intentionally lying about their motives and how far they wanted it to go, as part of an effort to take over RPG.net. TheRPGsite is our revenge against them and how they ruined what was once a fine and free discussion forum.

Incidentally, if anyone notes any other threads that make a good historical accounting for how RPG.net turned fascist, please point them out.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
Currently Smoking: Chronic.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
it's a depressing reminder of how spergy I am that the thing that most often offends me about RPGnet is their inability pluralize "Yozi" correctly

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
RPGnet is surprisingly readable if you're really liberal with your ignore list.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
My mask... it is complete...

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

ManMythLegend posted:

You're right, this that thread is great

IMHO:

1.) All classes feel the same. Not identical, but the consistency of the mechanics tends to make things feel pretty similar. In prior editions, the wizard worked dramatically differently than the fighter. Not so in 4E. Both choose a power, role to hit, and then deal damage plus a side effect. Both can do area or single target powers. The fluff differs, but the crunch is very similar.

2.) PCs retasin consistent utility. PCs don't have that traditional ebb and flow of power where high level parties live and die by the spell while low level parties live and die by the sword.

3.) You can't change reality. In prior editions, powerful magic could really change reality at the whim of the wizard. In 4E, you can't do anything lasting without huge resource investments in powerful rituals.

4.) There are too few options. In most combats, PCs run out of encounters and dailies before the combat ends. Further, the PCs use the same encounters and dailies in each combat. I understand the need to keep the game manageable, but they needed powers to create more variety and prevent boredom.

I'm incorporating this by adding a new treasure type that allows a PC to use a class power like wizards used to use scrolls in prior editions.... Lore rings. PCs can wear up to 8 lore rings (in addition to standard magical rings). Lore rings allow PCs to use the power stored in the lore ring as long as they have the right weapon/implement and meet class requirements (ie; a character that is a cleric or a character with a cleric multiclass feat can use a cleric lore ring). They are costed like consumables (daily powers cost twice as much as encounter powers) and powers that can be used at will stick with the character until the end of the encounter.

5.) Too many weird things. Tieflings, Dragonborn, Shifters, Goliaths, Warlords, Avengers, etc... We're early in the life of 4E, and there are too many non-core things flowing around. These weird peripheral things usually didn't show up until all of the core materials had been fleashed out. It is weird to see 'Splat Book' material when we don't have Frost Giants, Monks, Psionics, etc... yet.

6.) Battles are too long. You can't really have battles that are quick anymore. In 3.5, you could have long battles, or you could have a very short battle. In 4E, they are all long battles. You don't need everything to be epic... I really miss having monsters that go down in 2 or 3 hits instead of 1 or 4+.

the fighter gets to do something other sit around while the wizard Does Everything and this makes me so loving mad!!!! :argh:

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
Another day, another RPGnet thread to talk about how rape is no big deal.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
magic tomahawk missile

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

ManMythLegend posted:

This is true, it's included primarily for the sake of tradition. It does depend on what your definition of "necessary" is, of course, and so I acknowledge that my argument is self-defeating because you can now reply "I feel the bard is necessary" and suddenly PHB2 is also core, but I trust you understood the point I was making with my original post?

EDIT: Allow me to express myself more clearly

Of course the bard is an official class. The PHB2 is not some obscure supplement like, say, Fair Folk was to 1st ed Exalted - it's a lot easier to show up with PHB2 and go "Can I play a barbarian?" than it was to show up with the FF book and ask "Can I play a Cataphractoi?" My point is merely a semantic quibbling, but it irks me that WotC is trying to re-define "core."

I get that GM's sometimes tell their players "only core book material when you make your new characters," and that they're trying to get around this with calling all the books except the setting specific ones core so players will know that it's ok to play a barbarian in a bog standard game of D&D, but when I, as a GM, said "only core book material," I never meant "because I think the others aren't D&D," but rather "because I haven't read all the obscure supplements that have been written and I can't be arsed to judge whether a given class is balanced and fits into my game right now, I'm in the middle of mid-terms."

So when WotC declares the PHB2 to be core, I don't care. I'm gonna say "core material only" and mean "PHB1 only" because I can't be buggered to read PHB2 and decide the merits of that book, and I don't want my players to show up with characters from some obscure supplement that I haven't got.

And this entire situation is hypothetical, because I will get PHB2 and I will allow the bard - but I'm still annoyed with what Wizards are doing to the word "core" because they're trying to get it to mean something it never used to mean.

what's wrong with this

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

ManMythLegend posted:

Because he's using that arguement to say that Bards can't be considered a class by those who "defend" 4E against people like that "BUT MY BARD !!1!" guy from earlier in this thread.

ah okay

i just saw him saying "i'm not going to allow anythign not in phbi because I'm not going to overburden myself with system knowledge" which seems eminently reasonable

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

clockworkjoe posted:

I get it. I really do. The mechanics are a mess. They were various degrees of bad under 1ed, and that tradition continued under 2ed. I get that people don't like the setting. They say it's too "small" now, too heavy on metaplot, too many nipple piercings, too many heroin pissing dinosaurs, too many people focusing on the setting without bitching about the mechanics. I get it. This isn't a thread about that. This is a thread about Exalted hate fucks. This is a minus thread for negativity about Exalted. And it's based on one premise:

Just get your hate gently caress and move on.

Mechanical hate fuckers: The game isn't going to magically fix all the broken stuff that's come before, and all the new stuff is probably going to be broken too. Quit saying "if book X isn't mechanically sound I'm dropping the game" only to bitch about all the mechanical problems you've found in all the products since X. Quit grandstanding like your opinion means a poo poo, only to backpeddle the second some new shiny thing comes out. It also doesn't change the fact that people having fun playing the game are having fun playing the game. I know it's hard to understand, but you'll just have to trust me on this. If someone says they're playing "by the rules" and having fun, the correct response is not to tell them all the ways that such a statement is contradictory.

Setting hate fuckers: You guys are even worse. You're bitching about loving make believe stuff. "The Wyld Hunt killed my pony." "Beasts of Resplendent Liquids are so bad they ruined my memories of playing D&D." "All the detail in 2ed stifles my creativity." "I hate that there's metaplot, and I hate that the metaplot contradicts itself." If you lack the confidence and imagination to ignore stuff you don't like and replace it with something better, don't even bother. Not just with Exalted, but with any game. Seriously, pack it up and take up another hobby like stamp collecting or getting hit in the nuts with a mallet. I don't care. Exalted is an RPG designed around the premise of a huge world with an open background. I'm sorry your feelings got hurt when the 2ed version Gem didn't match with your vision based on a torn paragraph you dreamed you read in badly mangled copy of the 1ed core. Have a wahwie pop.

"But we hold out hope that Alchemicals/Infernals will be different!" No, it won't. At best you won't have more fuel to bitch about, at which point you just won't talk about it; you'll continue to bitch about everything else though. Equally likely is that they'll be as bad as all the other products that you told yourself would be "different". See, for you hate fuckers all you have is the hate gently caress. You don't want the game to be perfect, since your fun comes from finding the dog turds in the game. And you have to cram those turds down everyone's throat. Over, and over, and over, and over, and over. In. Every. Single. Exalted. Thread. But you can't quit the game. You don't like it, you don't play it, and the only way you really help anyone is by buying all the products you don't like and keeping the game line going. Well shine on you consumer whore!
lmao that whole thread rules

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
rpgnet is actually a pretty decent place to discuss exalted once you ignore list everyone with an anime avatar

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

Mikan posted:

I'm not going to quote anything from this thread but gently caress this thread.
Dude who posted it should have been driven out of the forum and instead most everyone plays along.

there are some great trolls though

quote:

I find that quoting Monty Python always leads to a barrel full of laughs. It's especially important, I think, to lighten the mood when the GM or another player's been attempting to depress us all with an overly serious story.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

Naar posted:

A friend of a friend of a friend in the vegan community named Josh Harper, is currently serving a 36 month prison sentence at the Sheridan Federal Detention Center for in his words "the horrible crime of organizing legal protests, delivering lectures at colleges, and giving unapologetic vocal support to the illegal tactics of others."

He is kept under 21 hour a day lockdown but occasionally has the opportunity to blog through his friends.

His latest blog post, he talks about how he is learning to cope with the pain of his current situation by playing D&D 4E in prison. Apparently there is a thriving underground role playing scene in the Federal Bureau of Prisons.

haha that loving rules

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
The Adventures of Johnny Tek

Episode 1: The Dungeon of Doom

So I'd signed up with the NYC Dungeons and Dragons Meetup Group to start testing out tools I'd suggested for use in my article "Professional GM: Methodology and Theory Complete".

The first game was today at the Compleat Strategist. The day started out pretty rough. City workers had started working across the street with jackhammers a few days ago and my sleep cycle has been greatly disturbed. I'd barely gotten 4 hours of snooze time before I left for the session. Yeesh. I'm the sort that needs at least 8 hours of sleep to function well.

It was my first time seeing the basement game room of the store. 7 gaming tables. I was blown away. The store looks a lot smaller above ground level.

Three players showed up. The party consisted of an eladrin rogue, an elf cleric of the Raven Queen, a human wizard, and a dragonborn paladin. I filled in as the paladin due to the group's need for a defender.

Here's what I tested/remembered to test this time around.

-Plastic silver stars to represent action points. The players liked this. It was easier to remember points as well as "spend" points. the stars were tossed into a pile as they were used.

-Dramatic statement. Just as the players were about to enter the dungeon I'd prepared (for the purpose of adventurous exploration), I let loose with the "pony" lines. The players' reactions seemed indifferent at the time.

-Battle Challenge. I created semi-hidden objectives to end encounters but as I was advised in the article thread, I kept mum about it. The players really got into solving the puzzles and tactical dilemmas I'd laid out. I'd tossed XP out the window and used an infinite generator for minion monsters without thinking twice. I'd also used moving terrain. The second encounter lasted over 2 hours but the players loved every round of it (I think about 14 or 15 rounds - one of the players was keeping track of initiative).

It was a DnD 4e session for 1st level characters, with the party exploring a strange dungeon that was recently unearthed as the result of an earthquake.

The dungeon was an ever-changing building imbued with the essence of chaos. It was located under an ancient temple devoted to a long-forgotten goddess of chaos with three heads, six arms, four eyes, and a double forked tongue.

The first level of the dungeon was a room featuring a "chess board" battlefield. The PCs had to solve how to activate a "game" and then how to defeat the 16 chess piece monsters that showed up for the "game".

The second level of the dungeon was a room with automatically moving platforms and switches for moving the platforms manually. The PCs had to figure out how to use the moving terrain to get to a pair of magic circles that would open the way to the next level. The stationary terrain in the room was divided by a bottomless chasm. At the end of every player's turn, there was a 50% chance of a zombie falling from the ceiling down on top of the player's character, potentially knocking the character prone with the zombie automatically "grabbing" the PC. With a successful Perception check, the attacked PC could shift 1 square before the zombie landed.

It got tense at times with moving battles and dangerous jumps and PCs tossing PCs to get around. The players got smart and started readying actions to knock zombies off their teammates with ranged attacks when they weren't moving. One player readied an action to attack a zombie if one fell on top. A zombie did indeed fall, right on top of the PC's short sword. The PC tossed the zombie into the chasm.

The session ended with the third level, which was a chamber that had a large valuable-looking crystal orb. The orb was guarded by a black dragon that opened the battle with a surprise acid breath attack (I gave the party a chance to detect the lurking foe though. They all failed their checks.). They weren't really supposed to win, just remember the option of escape (it was getting late so we had to leave the store soon). The PCs escaped the chamber with the orb in tow. The dragon lunged itself at the PCs at the last moment but they teleported out just before black death came down on their location. Vengeance was sworn by the draconian foe as it roared in anger over its lost treasure...

I bent the rules a few times to let the players perform cool cinematic actions and the moving terrain worked out incredibly well. I was inspired to design the moving terrain from my experience playing Legend of Zelda on the SNES.

I was heaped with praise at the end of the session for being open with the game rules and for my creative dungeon design. It had been a while since I DMed so I was a bit nervous. I improvised half of what was played on the spot so that was a bit wracking as well. I was relieved to see and hear their pleased reactions.

Conclusions

-Toy tokens are fun to use for representing "special" resources.
-A dramatic pep statement might not make much of a difference. I'll have to try different ones for different situations though. This needs more data.
-Battle challenges, especially those that involve the battle terrain, can make an encounter last more than twice as long as normal without making it feel like a drag. On the contrary, fighting lots of monsters while solving a puzzle as a team can be a very immersive experience. Careful monster design/selection is crucial.
-It can be freeing to do away with XP rewards but is not for those unfamiliar with building encounters from scratch. If I had never DMed for 4e before the session, then it probably would have turned ugly.
-It's important not to be too strict on the rules as written so that everyone has a good time. As long as the rules bending makes sense in a storytelling context.

Next Playtest (on the 24th if anyone signs up - otherwise probably at next month's meetup)

-I'll be trying out the last story concept I'd come up with before I ended the ill-begotten business that was "Caravan of Blades".
-I'll be trying out the "game master's mask" for a specific NPC that the party may communicate with a few times during the session.
-I'll have my "cinema stand" up and see how well it works for creating battlefield backgrounds and assisting with storytelling.
-I'll be allowing the spending of action points to recharge encounter powers (1) and daily powers (2).
-I'll be getting my minimum 8 hours of sleep.

Zzz...

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

Ashenai posted:

I can't make a bow-specialized fighter like Robin Hood, also I can't make a bow-specialized thief like Robin Hood loving CHECKMATE 4E WHORES

ps just found out i also can't make a bow-specialized warlock like robin hood what is this chicanery

loll

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
Need help - What game to play with hot, sophisticated and educated girls?

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
haha rpgnet is just great on gender today (every day)

Genders and Gaming: Race edition.

I've been doing some thinking lately about Race in gaming and how it applies to both genders.

When I was doing 2nd edition, I noticed that the overwhelming majority of female gamers played either humans, 1/2 elves or elves. The only females of the other races were usually played by male gamers.

I didn't give it much thought, but it has kinda stuck with me and started me thinking.

I also started thinking about how, until 3rd edition, female dwarves have beards, and it was removed to make them more "female friendly".

Something similar happened in W.O.W., where elves were added to the Horde, to give female gamers a more feminine option.

It is also why the Dragonborn have mammary glands, instead of a more dragon type reproduction options.

I guess after all that my questions are as follows:

1. If you do a new race, should your orientate your females of that race towards the female gamer demographic, just as the overwhelming races are thought from a male perspective. Should this be done even if it might make the race less unique in the process?

2. What are the common female racial archtypes, as well as races from any rpg, that female gamers enjoy playing? Obviously there is an easy answer, namely any, but I think with a bit of narrowing down might help me understand things better.

3. How do you make a more male orientated race (ex. dwarves, minotaurs) more playable for a female gamer so they can enjoy playing such roles, either by gender bending or playing a female character of that race? This ranges from color text, to special abilities to anything else that comes to mind.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

shotgunbadger posted:

The wiggida wiggida wha?

The people that make EVE (CCP) acquired WW, and then sensibly had them make a tabletop tie-in for their flagship product. I believe there's a WoD MMO in the works too.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
Haha rpgnet is terrified of feminists taking away their porn

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

Phuzzy posted:

You can't just say something like this without linking it.
i'm phoneposting right now but the thread title is something like "gender and gaming: equality or special treatment? choose one"

To be fair most of the thread is mocking the OP and his few allies for being goony but there are some gems in there

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

Epicurus posted:

Yeah look at that 'spergy buffoon, denying the obvious danger of suggestive clothing on pretend elf women.
yeah but the letter he's referencing said nothing of the sort; it just a hysteria that crawled out of his brain

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
there's nothing inherently wrong with the sort of dadaist playstyle implied by those traps but it's really weird how grognards all believe liking it makes you masculine or something

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

shotgunbadger posted:

I love D&D and all but Gygax was the worst, a killer DM, a rather pretentious rear end, and just generally a hack, but the dude got lucky and David Arneson managed to spit out the most iconic pen and paper RPG we have.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
if you love worldbuilding for its own sake you'll see "verisimilitude" used in non-silly ways and it won't really bother you

anyone who claims the object of 3.5 was "simulation" and not a bunch of rules for killing people in caves in tactically interesting ways is kind of dumb though

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
It's kind of annoying how the 4e RAW kind of implies your character can't be particularly dumb or foolish or meek but that's trivial to ignore

is there any reason other than legacy code stats are still on the old scale rather than straight bonuses/penalties?

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
lol i remember there was a 3.5 supplement that was like "perhaps you'd like to play a half-dragon weretiger!"

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
vampire identity counselor

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
phoneposting so I can't quote but check out the "most grotesque thing" thread on RPGnet, that thread is gonna go places

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

mandrake776 posted:

You are like the Church that put Galileo in prison because you don't want to accept the world is not the flat one your think it is.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

FirstCongoWar posted:

What the gently caress does "Swine" mean in this context besides being vaguely insulting?
anything that isn't ultra-grognard, also "I really wish I were hunter s. thompson"

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
Wiki it, if you don't know. Basically, the ashantis were these badass african warriors who gave the Brits more trouble than anyone else in Africa. Well, anyone else black African, that is (the Boers, predictably, put up tougher fight). Ok, for those who don't know, the colonization of Africa happened due to many reasons, one of which was because it was so darn cheap. It took, on average, less than 1000 Europeans and few thousand African troops to take over any given area; in fact, in a lot of cases, there were less than 200 Europeans. Basically, it was conquest on the cheap. Real cheap.

The Ashantis put up better fight than the others, but it still was pretty cheap for the Brits. Let's change the equation.

Let's say the Ashantis were an entirely separate species, superficially similar to homo sepiens, but very different in many ways. These were the differences: 1) Many times stronger than humans; 2) preternatural endurance, so that they could fight longer and harder, and required far less water and food -- their logistical train was a fraction of what was needed for humans; 3) no fear, thus they were willing and capable of fighting to the very last man -- no morale check needed.

How do you think the Anglo-Ashanti wars would have progressed, and to what lengths do you think Britain would have gone to win for sake of prestige?

Lastly, what system would you use, were you to: 1) play this out on squad level; 2) play this out on national level?

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
We're veering off-topic, but Hitler's responses to Germany's real problems (hyperinflation, mass unemployment) were actually pretty good.

Depending on your reading of the international situation, you could concievably diagnose his "declare war on everyone" policy as a false solution to the real problem of a Europe to the East and West that might threaten Germany again.

Most of the gratuitously evil stuff was in response to completely imaginary problems, obviously.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

fritz posted:

handy tip: google groups archive of rec.games.frp.dnd has the 2e-3e transition about 40k threads back

in the grim darkness of the past...

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
oh an inflammatory non sequitur from ferrinus, color me surprised

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

Kerison posted:

Dragons are nothing more than overgrown cats vomiting fire.
*hoards trinkets*
*plays with food*
*lazes around in smug satisfaction*