Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Zak S
Mar 1, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So you think everyone in here is mad that some assholes make fun of D&D 4E?

I don't think "everyone here..." anything.

Because I know thinking in stereotypes is dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zak S
Mar 1, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

I just want to know - if the OSR has nothing in common except for liking old games why do they bother with a name?
It's just a shorthand to find other gamers writing stuff online about games they might be interested in. It points to a cluster of ideas, like "storygamer".

Not everyone on story-games is a Ron Edwards fanboy or a narrativist. Same everywhere else.

Zak S
Mar 1, 2012

Ooooh you. Got me there. Good job avoiding the question. So let me ask in a way where you won't dodge like a politician.

Who are you talking about here, then and where is this idea come from?

Earlier today? "We don't hate people who play older editions, just people who insist everyone play their way or calls 4e players anime WoW babies" is an extremely common sentiment here.

Stereotypes are bad and dumb and not helpful and antifun and antismart and antilearning and make all this annoying game stuff that everyone hates and complains about happen. If you can't agree to that idea than the part of this thread where you talk to me and vice versa probably isn't going to get too far.

Zak S
Mar 1, 2012

How is this not a stereotype? Like, that's what that is, you're just trying your best to not call it your stereotype of a grog.txt poster. Also, I don't recall that sentiment ever being said here other than someone making fun of some grob who actually said things like that.

Either you agree that is it bad to say "all 4e fans are anime WoW babies" because that's a stereotype or you don't.

If you don't, I think you are a terrible person.

If you do, then I would submit that saying "OSR people are..." is just as bad.

Zak S
Mar 1, 2012

Gerund posted:

False dichotomy.

OSR is a faulty philosophy based on regressive social grognardism.
Undefined term. Begging the question.

Try again.

Zak S
Mar 1, 2012

Pangalin posted:

I don't think anyone is disputing your notion that, in principle, at least one good man must live in OSR and as such we must not destroy the city. Ok? Ok.

(Why you give a poo poo about the OSR being stereotyped when the OSR appears to only hypothetically exist, inasmuch as it means nothing and its members have nothing in common, remains a mystery.)

Did you not read what I already posted twice about how the OSR defines itself? Please go back and re-read it then.

Zak S
Mar 1, 2012

Sorry man, you said the OSR aren't actually a thing that exists, can't stereotype imaginary groups (Except Elves. gently caress those magic immortal assholes.)

Read my last post.

Zak S
Mar 1, 2012

Pangalin posted:

What I have garnered is that it is a collective label for a group of people who cannot be generalized in any way. Which seems to defy basic logic, but okay.

You can either have your OSR-as-stereotyped-martyr gimmick, or you can have your OSR-as-loose-meaningless-buzzword gimmick. One or the other, hoss.
If I define "the OSR" for the third time here in this thread will you post to acknowledge that I did it?

If so I will re-post my definition a third time. If not, we are not having a conversation.

Zak S
Mar 1, 2012

Pangalin posted:

No, see, you defined it like this, right

So it's shorthand. It's just an idea. Which is fine but I guess maybe there aren't actually any people in the OSR. There are just a bunch of people who are interested in OSR ideas. So how about we compromise and say that it is wrong to stereotype OSR folks because QED they don't exist.

No, that was not a definition, that was my answer to the question "why do they have a name?".

Again: If I give you a definition of the OSR, will you acknowledge that I gave you a definition?

Zak S
Mar 1, 2012

Assumethisisreal posted:

He's more fun than you guys
Hey now, no fair relying on my privilege to win arguments.

Zak S
Mar 1, 2012

Jabor posted:

Ultimately "OSR" is just a name. If you don't like the baggage that name carries (like being associated with all sorts of lovely people who espouse lovely philosophies), you can choose a different name.

Well, there's DIY D&D. But honestly while I'm sure people can dig up Dragonsfoot posters who make them sad all day long, the major lights: James Mal, Jeff, Joesky, etc--these are all people who have done really good, generous things and never let a racist, sexist word out of their skulls ever.

I may not give a gently caress about demihuman level limits, but all the major voices of the OSR have been really cool to me, to my players, and to everyone I've ever heard of who interacted with them.

These are the loudest voices. And they are very good ones.

Zak S
Mar 1, 2012

counterspin posted:

OSR, from the outside, produces nothing but poo poo talkers. It's that simple. You folks, bopping along in your insular OSR cocoon, don't notice this, because you get good material out of OSR, and you don't get poo poo from OSR people. But for an outsider, who receives absolutely nothing positive from OSR, because they simply don't play the games involved in it, all they get from OSR is poo poo. Your making up your own definition of OSR does not effect this at all.
I don't understand: every single thing I have ever read that made me like the OSR is a free blogpost. Are you saying you are unable to read these for some reason? I don't get it. The content is right there. Just google "Jeff""party like its 999". There you go. Whether you are "inside" or "outside" that's the goods.

Zak S
Mar 1, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

Because Jeff stays on his blog, boopin' away at his own stuff, while the poo poo talkers are evangelical. You don't hear the poo poo, because it's all aimed away from you. The poo poo talkers aren't too interested in talking poo poo at folks who play the same games as them. But for those of us who play more then just straight out old school games? Oh, we get to hear plenty from the poo poo talkers. They have a whole lot to say about us!

Y'know who poo poo talks me most? Kent, BT, Libramarian and people here. And in pretty much the same ways.

The narcissism of small differences ensures that people can and will use any difference between you and them to try to puff themselves up.

If you play 3.5 they will come down on you for that (as the grogs did days after my first 3.5 post). If you play AD&D they will come down on you for that (as this thread did, long ago, days after my first AD&D post). The hate is precisely and in all ways symmetrical. It's get off my lawn this and neckbeard that and if you can't see that it comes from both sides and every possible philosophy you've failed to use whatever critical tools you may have developed here in this thread hard enough and are just using them to prop up your end of the propaganda war.

I put out a book. People called it Old School Renaissance because I used shortform stats and lots of random tables. If that's all it takes to be OSR, then it's a club it's pretty hard to be embarrassed about joining and not one which demands a whole lot from its members,

Zak S
Mar 1, 2012

counterspin posted:

Great, a set of rules for doing xp in DnD games. Something I stopped doing two loving editions ago. Why should I loving care? It's useless to me. Meanwhile, I've spent the whole time since the release of 4e listening to morons flying the OSR flag repeating the same 4 stupid arguments over and over again. If OSR disappeared tomorrow into the sun, my life would be better. The same is true for many, many people. And that's why OSR gets poo poo on.

My point is that there is not much cool OSR content that anyone "inside" has access to that you do not. You are not penalized for being "outside" by anyone who actually produces good poo poo rather than people who hang out on forums blowing their noses at you and calling the snot pattern "OSR".

Zak S
Mar 1, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

The OSR is a group of people who are an active drain om the hobby through their blind insistance that only a handful of games mad 40 years ago are TRUE ROLEPLAYING and actively not only reject newer, better mechanics but also drive away new blood from the hobby out of a pathetic desire to remain the King Nerd via mastery of clunky, obscure mechanics.

Doctor Pepper, you're way beyond on the conversation but I have like 4 of you a day so I forgive you.

Question for you all...You have this wonderful word "grog". It sounds bad, it is bad. Why not just keep saying that instead of saying "OSR" which means you saying it about Jeff and Joesky etc, too?

I mean, it effectively separates the problem from the problemless. Why not just use it?

I mean, not one single part of this OSR blogger, f'rinstance...
http://monstermanualsewnfrompants.blogspot.com/2012/05/arborea-wow.html
...overlaps with any part of "grog".

Zak S
Mar 1, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

See, here's the problem:

No, we didn't.

We don't care if you like AD&D. In case you missed it the first ten times people here said it, let me feebly try again: most of us here have played and enjoyed AD&D too!

The whole "your edition is lovely and bad and wrong and not D&D?" That's been almost entirely one directional. Of course you've never seen it. You're playing "the right edition."

First of all: yeah, they totally did. Right in this thread, right before Mandy got called out for putting extension cords on her wishlist. By people in this thread that I am sure you would call dicks.

And have I been told my edition was not D&D? About a thousand times when our show came out, by OSR people. And they were dicks, too.

So, wrong on both counts.

Zak S
Mar 1, 2012
Well then here is tremendous news for you that I guess you didn't know until today.

If you play 4th ed you will get called a WoW anime baby not playing real D&D by someone because that person is a dick.

And if you play AD&D you will be called a neckbeard nostalgist by MKill or casualoblivion or someone in this thread because that person is a dick.

This is actual reality here. Did you not know this until today?

Zak S
Mar 1, 2012

counterspin posted:

Unlike the OSR, those people come from communities that might, at some point, produce something I give a poo poo about.

Welcome to your awesome taste-based prejudice, then. I like tiramisu, it doesn't mean Italy is always right.

Zak S
Mar 1, 2012

Hamboning posted:

What the gently caress are you even saying? All you're doing is mashing words you've seen in this thread together in an attempt to 'burn' us for 'being the real grognards', when all you're doing is consistently proven that you are unable to actually read beyond the first three sentences anyone posts. Any time you are asked a direct question, you either mis-interpret, cherry-pick, or outright ignore what the poster has said, choosing to re-arrange everything you've said previously because you're to intellectually lazy to actually defend your point.

And also before you try to accuse people of stereotyping, you should probably remember that that text under your av was a thing you actually said about somebody.
The text under my AV is a joke I told about myself mocking (I am the "morphodite" in question) the way everything I say int his thread gets attacked.

Please do the research next time, Hamboning.

Anyway the rest of your post is terribly abstract. What is your specific beef?

Zak S
Mar 1, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

I dunno MKill, and does casual oblivion even post here?

The only people around here I know of that's like, rabid about hating old school games are the people in the 5e thread, except we quote them all the time, too.

Again, we can't really say you're a neckbeard nostalgist for liking older games when literally just a few pages before this whole thing started - like you could just go to your first post, then page two or three pages - we were gushing about Basic.
Here is some great grog.

Dr Nick posted:

What, exactly, is the Old School Renaissance about if not editions or pretending like the 80s was a magical time of innocence and pure role playing when Mom would bring us tang and cookies down to the basement and Reagan kept us safe from the commies?

Zak S
Mar 1, 2012

Dr Nick posted:

Zak S was doing this earlier as well. Why is it so hard to understand that the people who speak out against rapegames don't literally think they will force non rapists to rape?

No, it's just the rhetoric is confusing when it is mixed up with hyperbole so I was trying to separate which was which to better understand the position.

Position: "Treating rape casually leads to rape culture."

Hyperbole: "Oh no the Grogs won't play games unless they get to enact rape fantasies!"

Zak S
Mar 1, 2012
If you'd like me to explain the rhetorical use of "simplicity" in OSR circles I can but if you'd rather just kind of kick it around then that's ok. Let me know.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zak S
Mar 1, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Or you could go ahead and explain it rather than posting like this? Then people could decide whether they agree with your explanation or not!

There is a disconnect in the use of the term in different gaming communities. In the OSR, "simplicity" does not necessarily translate to "clarity about what to do with a given moving part". It is more about reducing PC and monster statblocks down to very short sets of numbers that are quick to generate for players or quick to think up for GMs inventing enemies.

Jack is correct in saying that ACKs even having skills and feats is less simplicity than most other OSR designs go for. However, like many independent game products, ACKs does not exist to represent the mean average of all the tastes of all the people in its faction, it exists to be the game the people who wrote it want to play.

If ACKs looks suspiciously like someone's house rules for red box D&D, it's because that is precisely what it is. The authors ran a certain kind of game and made a published product that reflected their shared interests.

Zak S
Mar 1, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

An "official product"? Not to be nitpicky, but I think you just mean "published product".

Yes, you're right. Fixing that now.

Zak S
Mar 1, 2012

Gau posted:

This isn't simple for most people, though, it's explicitly more complex. I get the idea of using a sort of shorthand, but it's not very intuitive. poo poo, trying to explain what HD 6*** means to someone who grew up on 3.X is...not an easy task.

Absolutely. Every single version of the game is "easy to understand" to different people. Part of this depends on their gaming background, and part of it depends on what kind of thinker (visual, mathematical, logocentric etc) they are.

Zak S
Mar 1, 2012

Red_Mage posted:

So in more flowery terms exactly what I said. OSR Simplicity is simplicity to people who already memorized/know the rules in question.

...or to new players who can remember the 3 terms in the string and who consider deciding what to do with the monster described a trivial task.

Like most OSR stuff now is written in a sort of skeletal (AC 8 or 12, HP 23, ATK +5 2-8dmg) format. That's 3 terms to remember, all of which appear in all D&Ds in one way or another. Some have a move stat appended. Special attacks and defenses are generally described completely out (more rarely: "as Sleep spell" or anything like that since different editions and clones use different versions of spells).

The not-simple part is not rules in this case, but knowing what to do with that creature as a GM to make an interesting game.

Zak S
Mar 1, 2012

LightWarden posted:

It's more than that. "2-8" is a big example of relying on the target's preexisting knowledge to figure out how you're supposed to generate numbers in that band.

Is it roll an 8-sided die? No, that wouldn't give you 2 as the lowest number.

Is it roll a 6-sided die and add 1? No, that wouldn't give you 8 as the highest number.

Is it roll a 10-sided die and subtract 2? No, too negative.

I guessed that it might be roll two 4-sided dice and add them together, but honestly, you could also roll a 12-sided die, add 3, then divide by 2 and round up to get the same range. And 2d4 produces a different variation in numbers than just having something like 1d7+1 on a computerized RNG, so figuring out what exactly your random numbers mean is a problem.

Now, what if the range was 5-11?

That is all true. In the entry level OSR products (that is--the actual clones and other game--which are, in general, the least exciting) this stuff is usually explained. In the supplements and blog entries it isn't and the audience is assumed to be familiar with whatever systems that product supports.

If Idol of the Frog God were sold by WOTC for mass consumption rather than distributed free to a few hundred hobbyists, I'd say writing "2d6" instead of "2-12" would be wise. I also don't think its author would disagree with me.

Zak S
Mar 1, 2012
Point is: when OSR people say "simple" they usually mean "not a lot of stats and not a lot of interlocking math between those stats".

Zak S
Mar 1, 2012

Piell posted:

So, there's no good reason to use 2-8 instead of 2d4 other than bullshit nostalgia, then. Good to know.

Not at all--if you're looking down a long weapon chart (as you do when shopping in AD&D) number ranges are often more quickly telling than die arrangements in terms of which weapon you want to buy (in a die arrangement like 2d6 sometimes the first number in the series is important compared to another and sometimes the third term is). Then you pick a weapon based on the damage range, do the math to figure what die to use, and have that die ready for every fight.

If you're looking at a short list of powers in a combat (as you do in 4e) and comparing them to each other, then die arrangements are more helpful because it is easy to play "which of these 3 digits (2d6+4 or 3d6+4) is better" because it's a shorter list and usually each only differs from the other by one term and it's pretty obvious.

They fit their context, in other words. But both require a tiny bit of math to get all the information you might want.

Zak S
Mar 1, 2012
I think you may have missed something.

Again, imagine you are shopping in AD&D. There is a list of weapons a page long. If you have number ranges you only have to look at one column all the way down to see which weapons do more damage (and the first column only says 1 or 2). If you have die ranges you have to look at 2 separate columns. The 6 at the end of 2d6 makes it bigger than 2d4 whereas the 3 at the beginning of 3d6 makes it bigger than 2d6.

It entirely depends on what situation you're imagining. And, again, in both cases you have to do math.

Die arrangements make a lot of sense when there are a few numbers to look at and those numbers are big, number ranges make sense when the numbers are lower and there are a lot of them.

And even if it isn't easier for you, I can tell you it is for my (totally new to gaming) players and I don't have a motive to lie about that.

Zak S
Mar 1, 2012
Did you guys skip the part of my post where I described how if you're scanning a long column of weapon damage numbers if it's a range you only have to look at one column whereas if it's a die arrangement you have to look at two columns and then multiply out?

1d4 is a bad example. Small numbers like 2d8 vs 3d4 are more like what I'm talking about.

Zak S
Mar 1, 2012

Piell posted:

2d8 vs 2-16
3d4 vs 3-12

Yeah, so much different in terms of space. Also what the gently caress weapon does 2d8 or 3d4

I'm not talking about how much space it takes up, I'm talking about how easy or hard it is to scan for the biggest weapon damage if you have a whole column of those.

Zak S
Mar 1, 2012

Death Pits of Crap posted:

You still run into the problem in which you need to induce the combination of dice necessary for a given value range. If char-op is a concern, it might be easier to add a separate "average damage per hit" column to the data table. Using "Damage X-Y" notation to try to make "average damage per hit" easier to calculate isn't worth the extra difficulty of finding how you roll for that damage in the first place.

It's better to present datum A directly, or (oh my god) data A AND B SIMULTANEOUSLY HOLKY poo poo than use a clunky intermediary notation from which the player has to derive both of those numbers every time.

The best would obviously be to provide both but the point is there is actually a real rationale for doing it either ways if you have actual context. That is, while many things in AD&D were done that way for dumb reasons, this one has a reason and is not just repeated today out of nostalgia or a desire to have less people play the game.

Zak S
Mar 1, 2012

ZeeToo posted:

Oh, no, I might have to look two characters to the right or left!

It's much easier to obfuscate the actual mechanics and let someone scratch their head at gauging 2-16 and 3-12 and work back into what it actually is instead of telling them what it's supposed to actually be!

You're assuming the end point is to know what dice to roll. Realistically, a player wants to know both things: the maximum damage s/he can cause and which dice to roll.

Each notation provides one of those 2 important pieces of information instantly.

Zak S
Mar 1, 2012

Hamboning posted:

Zak, I refuse to believe that everyone you've played with is incapable of basic multiplication.

My blog's not called "Playing D&D With People Who All Graduated High School". I will tell you right now, if I tell Kimberly Kane she's got a 3d6 weapon or a 4d4 spell she will not know which does more damage.

But, more than that, no matter which is easier for you, the idea that the only reason to use number range is nostalgia is on the face of it silly. Not everyone is you. It depends on who's playing.

Zak S
Mar 1, 2012

True Evil Bob posted:

Multiplication of the size of numbers that are relevant here is something that most schools I know of had students memorize by like 3rd grade.

Are you accusing me of lying about my players? And, if so, what motive could I possibly have? I chuck out annoying AD&D legacy crap out of my game all the time, I won't go out of my way to make this tiny exception about this picayune thing.

I actually believe what I am saying based on observation of actual real new-to-D&D-outside-the-typical-D&D-demographic humans. I am positing that perhaps I am not unique in this regard. Do you admit it is possible, just possible, that there might be a perceived real game advantage in some situations to having a different damage notation for reasons that might be actually good?

Zak S
Mar 1, 2012

Jabor posted:

You've literally presented no reason to use 4-16 instead of 4d4.

You've told us some pretty good reasons to use 4-16 as well as 4d4, but no-one's arguing against that.

Then you are at least grasping what I am saying far beyond the level at which your compatriots are. As I said earlier--use both.

Zak S
Mar 1, 2012

Pangalin posted:

What kills me is so many of Zak's arguments have rested, at least partly, on "it works for my players" or "my players don't think it's a problem" and now, "my players are complete idiots for which I have the greatest contempt".

I mean dang, guy. Dang.

Um, this is getting gross and disturbing in the assumptions you're making but I'm KK's math tutor for the GED--I know what math she can and can't do.

You should also all apologize for calling her "stupid" because she can't multiply.

Zak S
Mar 1, 2012

Zak quit dodgin my post and please explain why it's easier/less confusing to use 2-12 instead of 2d6. Also please explain to me another reason to use it besides "It was in an older game", since [Blah Blah see my post for full points of the futility of using a number line instead of the newer notation]

The "12" instantly tells you the maximum damage on a hit with that weapon which is sometimes exactly the piece of information you are looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zak S
Mar 1, 2012

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

At worst it's "Kimberly Kane can't do math," which for all I know is true. You guys realize that people who are illiterate/innumerate/have extreme difficulty with reading or mathematics actually exist, right?

I don't think they do. I think the idea is "everyone processes information cognitively like we do, we find this easy, therefore it universally is". Which seems far more disturbing than anything else I've ever read here.