Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
H.P. Grenade
Oct 21, 2003

Smooth.
Holy poo poo, a rape formula. How can you even think up something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Grenade
Oct 21, 2003

Smooth.
3E/3.5E is guilty of said sins, true. The distinction is that 4E strongly supports that breed of sinners: people who couldn't deal with dead characters, complained because the game wasn't perfectly "balanced" (inviting uniformisation and sameness), and got into nitpicky arguments over rules because they had neither the common sense nor shared trust to resolve situations amicably and avoid abusing the rules.

In 4E, these types now have both idealogical and canonised support for their dickery-- the dogma that common sense is, in fact, not possible or even desirable. What started out as stupid experiments in game design (Book of the Nine Swords/Tome of Magic) and a few odd decisions (Free/Swift/Immediate Actions) became the driving philosophy behind the new edition. "Fun" as "continuous positive reinforcement" and something that comes purely from combat encounters is emphasized over everything else.

Don't get me wrong I'm not one of those sadistic Gygaxian rear end in a top hat DMs who gets cheap thrills from finding new and arbitrary ways to gently caress with their players or deny them their fun. Positive reinforcement and combat are of course important sources of fun; 4E emphasizes these to neglect others. The result is a vulgar simplification of what role playing games can offer us. A lightweight but ultimately unsatisfactory form of feelgood, passive entertainment, delivered as a bland, flavorless paste for gamers to digest. Season to your desires, but that's still what you're paying 39.99 for.

This sort of game design is poisonous to the future of all tabletop games because it encourages 'bad players'. Yes, its not impossible to run 4E in better ways, but DMs who attempt it are likely to face strong opposition and disapproval, because the very spirit of 4E is very much against fostering individual creativity; in fact, it casts suspicion and disapproval on it.

H.P. Grenade
Oct 21, 2003

Smooth.
yeah, unfortunately I was on the receiving end of that argument TODAY. great guy, smart, just retarded over 4e :downs:

H.P. Grenade
Oct 21, 2003

Smooth.
ahahaha, that was the best scrolling reveal ever

H.P. Grenade
Oct 21, 2003

Smooth.
Crap maybe the mask was a good idea

H.P. Grenade
Oct 21, 2003

Smooth.
i'm not digging through that to find the point.

H.P. Grenade
Oct 21, 2003

Smooth.
my rpgs should be as obtuse and inexplicable as I am :colbert:

H.P. Grenade
Oct 21, 2003

Smooth.
hahahah I knew that was going to happen.

H.P. Grenade
Oct 21, 2003

Smooth.
Holy poo poo. He'll never, ever realize that there is no 'hobby,' that there is no 'mainstream,' that playing an RPG means absolutely nothing to anyone and holds no importance whatsoever outside of the people playing the game. He will never realize he's not part of some unique cultural movement, some proud club of like-minded people, or that he and his bizarre rantings are simply unimportant. This is hilarious.

H.P. Grenade
Oct 21, 2003

Smooth.
rpg.net seems to be taking it well, barring that one guy who's worried that 4E's anti-economy might prevent this version for being great for some reason. And even he's hopeful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Grenade
Oct 21, 2003

Smooth.
I am a grogdad. I taught my son basic addition and subtraction using his own set of dice and the LEGO orc figures I use in my games. He wants to play so badly with my friends and I he can't stand it. :3: Gonna have to revert back to 3.5 so I can teach him multiplication with critical hits.