Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Min-max your backstory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

NinjaDebugger posted:

Congratulations. You just killed my family. For the sixteenth time in a row. I'll be over here in the corner roleplaying my total despair or something.

lol youre so dumb

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i am apathetic to the world around me, and don't value anything more than myself. also i'm a paladin with an urgent sense of righteous justice, and cannot stand to watch this world i have no attachment to be plagued by evil.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
chaotic neutral.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
A man who literally fucks monsters and turns into a woman to learn the secrets of magic. Just figured I'd remind you all of this.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Finally. Now I, a nerd with no grounding in reality, can understand the complex business world.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
4.Fail

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the Bile that is Fourth Edition DUngeons and Dragons.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Every player should be attempting to "do damage" every round. (Josh)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
"Do Damage"

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Facts.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
So, I've been concepting out an RPG and toying with ideas. I don't like 4e's per encounter or dailies simply because it feels very mechanical and weird, especially for fighting characters, and it encourages people to Nova at the beginning of a battle and use their best abilities(especially if that ability grants a status effect or something).

So here is what I was thinking:

-Using a daily or per encounter ability does it's thingm but inflicts a penalty on you. It might an stat penalty or a status effect.

-You lose the penalty by resting. Ten minutes cures a per encounter penalty, and 8 hours of rest cures a daily penalty.

-Otherwise, all abilities are at will. Overusing a daily or per encounter makes for stacking penalties and longer rest periods.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i agree, it's very weird that you'd want to kill a threat to yourself and others quickly and efficiently

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mikan posted:

why do people think like this, why is this a thought that needs to be published for other people to see
who cares

he's right in that 4e presses the "monsters are bad, kill them" angle pretty heavily, but what i don't get is yeah, who gives a poo poo? D&D is a game about dungeon crawls and it always has been. it's a bad engine for simulating an entire monster's ecosystem and the like, or at least there are better ones. why don't people just go play one of those instead of bitching that D&D isn't what they want?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
oh it's the ol "HP is a completely literal representation of a character's life" argument.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mikan posted:

geez Countblanc, r->c->p

not that I'd expect anything else from a YCS troll

w-what the!!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Also that forum link from earlier was full of posts commenting on how 4e encounters are too long. i know it's not new, but jeet christ what are these people doing that make encounters take 8-12 rounds or whatever

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
it's possible they're just dumb as poo poo and think "encounter" means "3 fights in a row" and completely ignoring short rests

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

so it goes posted:

From Dragon Magazine issue 275:

Click here for the full 625x898 image.

Wait, was Dragon Magazine not owned by WotC?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

The General posted:

What do you know? You wrote for White Wolf :ughh:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

RagnarokAngel posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

he means as a Roleplay Experience, duh

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Riidi WW posted:

you shoulda seen the argument about whether having an infinity knowledge check actually makes you omniscient

that one was my favorite.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
well by using my vast knowledge i'm aware that at some point in the future there will be a kobold stronger than me, so i'd better go kill them now

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
In 3.5e's Complete Scoundrel they referenced Han Solo and Lara Croft.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mikan posted:

Even as a player I love DDI because the character builder makes it easy to work on a character without having to drag out 2 PHBs and a Power book and maybe even a campaign setting book plus Adventurer's Vault and a bunch of Dragon .pdfs

Yep, this.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It Builds Character.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

mandrake776 posted:

I don't think that's the question at all. I think the question is "is this incredibly lovely?" And unfortunately, the answer for 4e powers is yes.

It doesn't matter if Ardent Strike is competitive with Enfeebling Strike or not, because the fact is that both attacks are incredibly boring. It's a small amount of damage, a largely unnoticeable secondary effect, and you spam it or your other at-will power six times or more every single combat without respite. It's a lovely power.

Frankly, 85% lovely powers is incredibly generous. The only powers in the entire game that aren't completely lovely are the ones that can vaguely be used to do something to the campaign world. And calling that even one in six seems severely unlikely to me. What, you could use Valiant Rush to sprint a little... or something? gently caress, there's page after page after page of absolutely nothing but poo poo. poo poo that doesn't do anything. It's just a series of sword swings. Some of them glow. Some of them don't. Some of them move healing surges around. Some of them give one turn AC bonuses or attack bonuses or penalties to the target. Or whatever. But they don't do anything.

-Frank

I really wish these people would put up a podcast of one of their sessions or something. How the gently caress do you spam an at-will 6 times in one encounter?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
He mentions every single combat though, which either means their characters are really bad, or they're doing something wrong with the encounters themselves.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I like the idea of solos, but in practice they're either wads of HP that you just have to spend many turns wearing down (without any actual risk), or they're Controllers with 4 turns per round and are just really annoying.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
My my, letting you retrain two whole powers? How very generous of him.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
lol

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i can't roleplay unless my character is bad. that's just the way it is.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
gygex owned

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
ah yes, "fun factor".

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Etherwind posted:

Mikan, would you be interested in collaborating on a d20 SRD rewrite?

what makes you think you have the right to address mikan

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
no one wqho posts in adtrw is cool

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mikan posted:

-4uccess: their grognarded-up version of 4e they're working on, described like this:

Yes, finally, a 4e system that doesn't use grids!! This surely makes for much better combat

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

AsexualAtheistAnime posted:

Just saw this post. Little reminder here chucklef*ck. Goku freakin owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
goku: successful, athletic family man with many friends. no wonder goons hate him