Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

3D Megadoodoo posted:

That was Waterworld.

Trashcan Man was in Waterworld? Do you believe that happy crappy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Dryland, or Cibola as it's also known

Cleuseau Remos
Apr 13, 2024
https://www.goodreads.com/characters/424-trashcan-man

Trashcan man set fire to "oil tanks in Powtanville"

I remember the character as a kid but it's been awhile.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Needful Things maybe? The movie was nowhere near darkly funny enough.

The Stand desperately needs a good one.

Needful Things with Idris Elba as Leland Gaunt and Juno Temple as Sheriff Alaina Pangborn

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Cleuseau Remos posted:

https://www.goodreads.com/characters/424-trashcan-man

Trashcan man set fire to "oil tanks in Powtanville"

I remember the character as a kid but it's been awhile.

Don’t ask him about old lady Semple.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Jesus, I wish Trash had treated me like old lady Semple's check instead of watching the Under The Dome TV show. It's such a bizarre departure from the book in many, many ways, even though Stevie was an executive producer (and I think he later bitched they should have just done the book), and it starts right from the jump.

I do like the guy they got to play Barbie, though. He was weirdly close to my mental image of the guy

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

About to read Eyes of the Dragon. I don't know anything about it other than its a fantasy. Any thoughts on it?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
It's pretty good. Not King's best, but not his worst. If you've read Wind Through the Keyhole, the inside-story about the Covenant Man has a similar fairy-tale vibe.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

It’s good! Was my first King book I ever read so it hold a special place in my heart.

Capisano
Sep 11, 2001

Brutal
I liked it very much, listened to the audiobook

midnight77
Mar 22, 2024
Listening to the audiobook of The Stand and god, the first half, where everything is collapsing, is so good.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

midnight77 posted:

Listening to the audiobook of The Stand and god, the first half, where everything is collapsing, is so good.

I recently re-read The Stand, and holy poo poo, it's just so fuckin good. The first half is a classic and I love it to no end.

What's something similar? Not necessarily from King, but just something in that style, capturing the minds and dialogs of people, you know? I don't know how to describe what I really dig about King, but I think you guys know

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

midnight77 posted:

The whole book is great IMO. Not sure I put it up there as King's greatest as many do but it was good enough for me to read twice, which I rarely do with any book. Odd that it seems so hard to nail as a move though.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
The 1994 miniseries came out 30 years ago today :corsair:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Harold renaming himself Hawk feels really dated in that someone who wanted to do that would probably go by something else.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Isn’t that one of the nicknames they give themselves in Step-Brothers?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

bobjr posted:

Harold renaming himself Hawk feels really dated in that someone who wanted to do that would probably go by something else.

iirc his partners on the burial committee started calling him that and he didn't accept it until just before he killed himself

midnight77
Mar 22, 2024
Harold Lauder very much strikes me as a goon. He would absolutely be posting about Fanny in E/N.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Oh for sure. He was an incel before we had the word for it. The new series (to its credit, even though it got a lot wrong) really leaned into that and brought Harold from the 70s (or the 90s, counting the rerelease of the book) almost perfectly.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

MNIMWA posted:

About to read Eyes of the Dragon. I don't know anything about it other than its a fantasy. Any thoughts on it?

oldpainless posted:

I’ve never really liked Eyes of the Dragon but I respect that he says he wrote it as a book for his children and then 6 pages later the king is talking about getting his dick hard

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013

Leave posted:

I recently re-read The Stand, and holy poo poo, it's just so fuckin good. The first half is a classic and I love it to no end.

What's something similar? Not necessarily from King, but just something in that style, capturing the minds and dialogs of people, you know? I don't know how to describe what I really dig about King, but I think you guys know

Robert McCammon's "Swan Song" is very similar to The Stand. It's well-written, kinda pulpy and a little broader than The Stand, but still good.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Cannibal Smiley posted:

Robert McCammon's "Swan Song" is very similar to The Stand. It's well-written, kinda pulpy and a little broader than The Stand, but still good.
Seconding this. I like it more than I liked The Stand.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

escape artist posted:

Seconding this. I like it more than I liked The Stand.

same here. I actually started reading McCammon because of a mention in one of King's books (maybe Danse Macabre?) and he's one of my favorite authors now

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

bobjr posted:

Skibidi Mass Grave.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Esquire dropped an excerpt from You Like It Darker today.

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/books/a60743849/stephen-king-you-like-it-darker-excerpt/

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

What's the general consensus on the sequel to the recent Pet Sematary remake? I was on a work trip last week and saw the sequel was available as an in-flight movie, which was surprising because I didn't think the remake did well enough to warrant a (direct to streaming) sequel.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Mat Cauthon posted:

What's the general consensus on the sequel to the recent Pet Sematary remake? I was on a work trip last week and saw the sequel was available as an in-flight movie, which was surprising because I didn't think the remake did well enough to warrant a (direct to streaming) sequel.

It's pretty bad in an unfun way and was made to retain the legal rights for another however many number of years, which is to say, it's not the worst King thing ever (My vote for that is probably Lawnmower Man 2: Beyond Cyberspace?) but it one version has Herman Munster and another does not. The choice is clear.

Stephen King claimed it was good tho which I assume gets him more money than if he says it's bad, so YMMV!

whoops: sorry, that was in regards to the recent sequel. i have not seen that!!! R>C>P 🙃

wizard2 fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

midnight77 posted:

Harold Lauder very much strikes me as a goon. He would absolutely be posting about Fanny in E/N.

just walking from Ogunquit to Stovington toting a cart full of trail mix and two gallons of water. 24 hours later the cart is broken and he lies by the side of the highway dead of exhaustion.