Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I have older toilets that lack the jet that helps push the poo poo out the bottom. Is there anything I can do to make flushing more effective? I often have to flush multiple times.

Zero VGS posted:

Any ideas?

Why not a natural gas boiler?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Float switch stuck/shot? It should have a float to know when it's full.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah, aren't they going to still rip all your walls open looking for the sweet sweet copper?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

JimbobDobalina posted:

I've got a toilet that is constantly running. I can see ripples in the bowl water, but the tank never refills by itself, so I am unclear in where the water is coming from. I've lowered the float level, so the water is well below the overflow.
I've also replaced the flapper valve (about 3 months ago for an unrelated issue) and it still runs.
Where else can a leak come from?

Flush the toilet, and then lift up the float. Does the refill valve totally shut off? Some of the water is directed down the overflow while the tank fills.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

minivanmegafun posted:

Disclaimer: I'm not a plumber, i'm just a clumsy homeowner.

However, you don't seem to know how toilets work. For a quick demo, grab a bucket of water and slowly trickle it into the bowl. The water level should stay where it is, as water slowly gets pushed over the edge of the bend and into the waste side.

Now refill the bucket and dump it in - you'll get a flush.

The first scenario is what a leaky flapper looks like. You just slowly waste water into the bowl.

Oh, also, as the poster above said, you could be dumping water down the overflow.

The tank would need to refill eventually as the flapper valve leaked. That's what they are saying isn't happening, but if it's slow enough they may have just not seen it yet.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Do a soap test on the lines. Get/borrow a tester, or call the gas company and have them check.

Or it could be a bad sensor in the appliance.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I've got a faucet that has sprung a leak.

It's coming from the joint in the body I pointed out. It doesn't seem like it's meant to come apart there, but the spout is a bit loose in there. Is there anything I can do about it short of a new faucet?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Delta said that my current faucet is discontinued, and they could replace it with a different model that looks to be cheaper and only vaguely similar.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

We literally all agree that would be ideal. I would be happy for that to happen. But when I "just pick up the phone," the super tells me he only works M-F 9-5. Okay but I also work then, an hour+ away. Okay, well, it would be really nice to have [whatever], so I guess I'll burn a vacation day on it. I arranged it with the super, let him pick the date, confirmed he would definitely do it then, and then I spent my vacation day sitting around waiting because he no-showed.

How many times would you like to do that before you decide you can replace your own washer or jiggle your own toilet lever?

Can't your super do work without you home?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Are you describing an outdoor shower? Those are a thing.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Some utilities do it like that, others do a tiered delivery charge. Your first 10 CCF might cost $16 to deliver, and then you pay a normal rate for the next 90 CCF, and a different rate for the following 400 CCF, etc.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Which is the basic Delta H2O Kinetic shower head I've seen recommended a couple times? I want to give my parents an upgrade for Christmas/give myself an upgrade when I visit for Christmas. It doesn't have to be the absolute basic model, but I don't think they are into multiple settings or the detachable wand.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Yeah I've done a shitload of upgrades and repairs to this house but I see so many flooding horror stories.

Everything is there, I'm just shoving a new unit in there.

The "pro installer" my landlord used installed the drain wrong. Yeah, just clamp it real hard, that's how it works.

The drain hose had a stepped boot at the end, you cut off the larger diameter part if you have a smaller drain connection. They didn't, and it leaked.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

SkunkDuster posted:

I'm sick of dumping leftovers down the toilet,

Wtf? Do you not have a trash can?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Do any of the toilet makers have a will it flush YouTube series, like the will it blend guys? Maybe a company that makes the garbage disposal toilets used in jails.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Even if there's a shutoff built in, you're planning on removing it all, so you'd remove the shutoff with it.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Is the float uh floating? If you flush and then lift the float by hand, does the water turn off?

Also, the overflow tube is too tall, the extra water should be going in there instead of out the handle hole. It's usually the tube that the hose goes into, but your setup is a bit special.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
The tank has a 10 year warranty, the rest of the system has a different warranty.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I had my kitchen spray hose spring a leak, which made me think it's time I was got a new set of hoses for my washer. Then I was thinking about my other braided hoses, like on the toilets and other sinks. Should I replace those on some schedule as well? Which means I probably also need a full set of stop cocks.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
The cartridge probably has a limit stop that you could adjust yourself. The plumber should also adjust it for you for free.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
My toilet supply currently looks like this:

Is there some kind of half escutcheon plate I could use to make it less ugly? Should I just get a standard one and cut it in half?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Somehow this is the only one coming out of the wall, the others come out of the floor. Takes up a lot of room in the vanity, but at least it's hidden there.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I briefly worked for a guy who basically did this, but for doorknobs. It wasn't replicas, but custom doorknobs for his house. For what it's worth, the doorknob business still exists, and the company I worked for does not.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
It yanks heat out of the air and puts it in the water. The air just happens to be immediately next to the water.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
What kind of cooling capacity do they have? The ones I saw were about half of a typical window air conditioner.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Why not use a copper corner fitting?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
My gas fired hot water heater is in a small closet inside one of my bedrooms. I currently use it as my office and have CO alarm in the room, but I'm looking at options to make this less dangerous.
I don't believe relocating is an option. There is a utility closet with my breaker panel and the furnace, but the room isn't conditioned itself and I'd be concerned about freezing. I'm also not sure about space, but it might fit a tankless unit.
I see code would allow for a direct vent unit if the closet were upgraded to a gasketed door. The current unit is a traditional vent, I'd have to get HOA approval to install the PVC vents.
I'm thinking my best options would be electric conversion. Is a hybrid a good option for this case? I'm concerned that it would be too loud and cold if this were used as a bedroom again.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Hungry Squirrel posted:

And, all of this - including an earlier issue I had with the furnace condensate tube - could have been avoided if I had a water softener. That's not an up-sell from the plumber; that's a question I asked and he confirmed.

Your furnace condensate comes from the combustion gases, or from the air if it's actually a/c condensate. A water softener doesn't change that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
If you have a pressure regulator on your water supply that makes it effectively a closed system and requires an expansion tank.

I also never noticed either in upstate NY.