Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goofball
Apr 4, 2019

devmd01 posted:

Main bathroom shower needs a cartridge replacement, fine. Gotta love the 25+ years of corrosion keeping the handle from coming off even though the set screw is out.

Spraying it down with vinegar every 15 min or so but I may need to go to something stronger. At least the rest of it is easy after that, it’s a pretty common Delta cartridge type from what I can tell.

If you've got hard water at all I'd say you should be prepared for a complete replacement. At a minimum I now keep a spare new handle and bonnet nut on hand.

I've had to drill the set screw on the handles of 2/3rds of the builders special Delta shower/tub RP46074 cartridge valves in my house to get them off due to corrosion after 17 years.

If yours are like mine the bonnet nut is also probably frozen in place by mineral and corrosion buildup, because I'd bet whoever installed it likely didn't pack the threads full of silicone grease to stop that. You can pretty easily stubby hacksaw through the brass bonnet nut until you just see threads and then split it off with a screwdriver.

Then comes the fun part... The valve cartridge itself is probably also cemented in by mineral buildup. I was able to remove one with some effort with channel locks, destroying the cartridge in the process. The second one the cartridge plastic body broke before it came out. I was thankfully able to get some small long nose locking pliers on the remains in the valve body and wiggle the poo poo out of it and somehow it came out without torquing the valve body and irreparably bending the mixer lines.

Spent a bunch of time with vinegar and brass brushes afterwards cleaning up as much buildup as I could, especially in the valve body where the seals seat. Also on the bonnet nut threading.

I haven't been able to bring myself to replace the 3rd cartridge and just ignore the pressure balance spool knock from it when a fast valve closes.

At this point if I have any more problems with them I'm probably cutting open the wall(s) and replacing the fuckers.

Goofball fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goofball
Apr 4, 2019

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I'll probably come back for help on the drip, but I'm so done with the faucet for this week.

It was really hard to get the new cartridge in too. I think the housing might be deformed.

Did you inspect & clean the inside of the valve body after you got the remains of the broken cartridge out, and then turn the water on momentarily to flush it out without a cartridge inserted? There may be scale or other buildup in there that needs to be removed/brass-brushed out for the replacement to seal properly.

It's possible that buildup may have scarred/nicked the new cartridge o-ring(s) or seat seals to the point they won't properly seal now.

I would recommend silicone grease on the cartridge o-rings and sealing rubber before installing/reinstalling.