Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Recently my toilet started flushing more slowly and weakly. I have to hold down the trip lever for like ten seconds to get it to flush all the way. When I looked in the tank I found this just sitting loose under the flapper

Does anyone know what it is or what's going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

PainterofCrap posted:

It appears to be the flapper valve. Except that they don't have holes in the middle.

I can't believe it's a flow restrictor. That's the very last place you'd ever want one.

Is it sealing now? How does it flush?

e: a brief search leads me to believe that this is/was the outer covering on a Fluidmaster flapper that must have come loose. They appear to be bonded the frame top, so they could fill with water through the hole but once the top ring of the valve slams shut with that part hanging in the opening, water can't leak through. Lucky it didn't get wedged in further down the drain hole (unless it's rigid?)

The flush still feels weak but there doesn't seem to be a problem with the sealing. I'm also not sure how it helps seal because the part looks smaller than the hole. So my main problem now is just figuring out why there seems to be weak flow.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Can I get away with not using plumber's tape on my shower head? It seems to be watertight just from the spout pressing against the rubber washer inside.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
If water is squirting out of any part of my toilet's fill valve besides the refill tube, that means I have a leak, right?

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Something weird is happening. I scraped out the mineralization around my toilet's siphon jet, and now its flow is better but a big bloop bubble comes out of it immediately when I flush. Hopefully it's because my fill valve doesn't work and no water is going in the overflow tube, so the sudden rush of water from a flush pushes some air out.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
How do you get to water supply lines under sinks to unscrew them? The quarters are too tight for me to fit a normal wrench around the basins of either of my sinks.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

nitsuga posted:

I think you’re in need of a basin wrench: https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/basin-wrenches

StormDrain posted:

Remove the faucet from the sink and do it loose.

And yes, use a basin wrench to get the nut for the faucet off.

That's exactly what I needed, thanks.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
There's a tiny hole in my toilet underneath the flapper. It's only about 2 mm wide, maybe 3 mm. It had some sort of putty around it that I took out to get to it while I was trying to figure out why my toilet flushes slow. If I pour a small amount of stuff into the tank's drain, I can see that hole does drain it somewhere. Does anyone have an idea what it is?

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

NotNut posted:

There's a tiny hole in my toilet underneath the flapper. It's only about 2 mm wide, maybe 3 mm. It had some sort of putty around it that I took out to get to it while I was trying to figure out why my toilet flushes slow. If I pour a small amount of stuff into the tank's drain, I can see that hole does drain it somewhere. Does anyone have an idea what it is?

What I mean is that there's a 3-ish millimeter hole under the red flapper, toward the back.

There was a little bit of what looked sort of like caulk around it, but it wasn't actually sealing it.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Nitrox posted:

There should neither be caulk or putty anywhere near that area. Maybe the red flapper wasn't making a good seal, and someone improvised. They're like $4 to replace. You can buy one with adjustable tension for a better seal.

I already replaced the flapper recently because my old one was blistered and limp like something had eaten away at it. That's unrelated to this hole, which is in the porcelain of the toilet below the flapper.

SpartanIvy posted:

My guess is the little 3mm hole that was there just goes to the sides or front of the commode. It may be left over from casting the toilet or something like that, and I doubt it impacts the function of the toilet or is draining onto your flooring or anything concerning.

Alright. I might try to stop it up if I'm cleaning out the jets though, because if I'm putting a small amount of liquid (like CLR, vinegar or boiling water) through it makes a difference when it drains some, even if it makes no difference when flushing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
My toilet has started making a humming sound as the tank refills. It seems to be coming from either the fill valve or the supply line. Should I empty the tank and disconnect the valve, then turn the water on briefly with the supply line pointed at a bowl or bucket to listen for the hum and determine which part it is?