Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
I replaced two compression angle stops on toilets in my house (built early 90s). On both of the copper stubs, I had to hack off the ferrule because the copper pipe was bulging around both sides of the ring. It looked like a wedding band on a fat guy’s finger.

Because of the bulge, I couldn’t get a new compression fit to seal. I ended up using shark bite on both and they seem to hold.

What would cause that kind of deformity in a copper supply line? And on two toilets in two different parts of the house? Internet suggests a freeze, which I guess is possible but I am in the south so it’s not like it’s all that cold for very long here unless there was an extended power outage. Even then, one of the toilets was part of the interior plumbing stack in the center of the house.

Lord Wexia fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
Speaking of compression fittings - is it normal to have the pipe bulge around the ferrule from the fitting? I replace some of the angle stops on my toilets and had to use a mini-hack to get the ferrules off on all of the copper stubs. When I went to put on a new compression fitting, I couldn't get one to fit because of the pipe bulge made it a weird size. Ended up squeezing a sharkbite on there, but I'm not real confident those long-term though.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

Illuminado posted:

Had a fun weekend. Girlfriend asked if I could install new shower fixtures that she picked up a while ago, complained that it was hard to dial in the temp on her old Delta knob valve and had pretty low pressure on the hot line.

Opened up the wall and it's all galvy. Had a dialectric fitting in place to transition to copper and brass on the old valve, so I thought I'd upgrade those.

Yeah... it's bad.

I busted that big rusty cyst off and hope that would help a bit, but I know that this is only kicking the can down the road and is going to have to be addressed later, but not in one weekend, not when there's only one bath in the house.

But I got the new valve soldered in, and I feel a bit more comfortable with my soldering. I hated to hit the plastic pieces in the dialetric fittings, but with the street elbows, I couldn't get them around that angle to save them the heat, thankfully the important bit was undisturbed.

Used Tape and Thread Sealant to make sure all the threaded bits weren't going to give me a headache.

Cleaned up the mess when I was done with a convenient cover (I'll drywall later).

The tub spout was not sealing properly and was made out of loving plastic (loving Delta) and there's a replacement waiting for me next time I'm over there.

Water pressure is still questionable, but at least it doesn't get cold when you flush the toilet. Can't wait to replumb the whole house :negative: .

I have the exact same problem. A shower with a delta valve that has wild swings in temperature even when I'm not moving the knob. It seems like it's always delayed by 30 - 60 seconds after adjusting the knob. I even had a recirculation pump installed because it would take 5 minutes for my shower to get warm, but now it's warm sooner, but will randomly get scalding hot 3 minutes into a shower. I also have low hot water pressure throughout the house.

Is replacing that mixing valve the answer? If the pipes are full of rust, is there a chemical way to knock it all loose?

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
Just don't buy some poo poo "Project Source" product from Lowe's or something. Get a Moen or something similar. Otherwise you'll be spending money on a new faucet twice.