Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Oh god dammit. At least it waited until after we were back from vacation yesterday. It’s leaking during the recharge cycle when it fills the media tank up initially.

Yep, that’ll do it. Put it in bypass and a replacement o-ring kit for the water softener and some replacement clips that I broke are on the way. Worth gambling $62 on, even though this softener has an ‘02 date code.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

pumped up for school posted:

Or ghost is missing the bowl.

I replaced the gasket on the downstairs toilet because I thought it was leaking. Turns out it was just likely a 4 year old that missed.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
O-ring didn’t fix the water softener, :negative:

Not gonna throw any more money at it since the date code is 2002, new one gets installed Thursday.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Happy with our Rinnai, we’re coming up on a year with it installed. The first annual maintenance flush is free from the installers, but after that I already have a 5 gal bucket sitting there ready to go with hoses and an electric pump.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
….touching plumbing that affects everyone in a shared building without being a licensed plumber sounds like a really bad idea.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Found the reason the tub was draining slow, it had gotten stuck underneath the drain plug. I just wish I had figured that out before snaking the pipe all the way to the vertical stack. Dammit, kids.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Our dryer vent was packed bad when we moved in, bad enough I just paid someone to deal with it. Got one of the flex rod kits and clean the duct from the outside annually in the fall before the weather turns cold.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Lexel, it’s designed for wet application. Dab it all dry with a paper towel then put a good bead if you’re gonna go the temp fix route. It’s expensive but I’ve found it very handy.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Main bathroom shower needs a cartridge replacement, fine. Gotta love the 25+ years of corrosion keeping the handle from coming off even though the set screw is out.

Spraying it down with vinegar every 15 min or so but I may need to go to something stronger. At least the rest of it is easy after that, it’s a pretty common Delta cartridge type from what I can tell.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Goofball posted:

good stuff

After trying PB blaster yesterday and doing more reading, I also arrived at the conclusion I’ll have to take the destructive path. I have to be careful in general as the pipes are not secured in the wall and just clamped to the fiberglass with the trim.

We have hard water but we do have a softener. No knowing when one was first installed in the 26yr history of this house.

Going to get the cartridge, bonnet nut, and a new handle ordered and go from there. The cartridge feels like one of those things I should stick to OEM and not a knockoff on Amazon.

E: A cartridge for the kitchen sink faucet arrived this morning and I had it swapped out in ten minutes including cleaning off the corrosion/hard water scale.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

KillHour posted:

It's completely fine to look at a job like that and go "nah, I'm not putting in several days worth of YouTube videos and practice and half a dozen trips to the hardware store."

Came to this conclusion about plumbing ages ago. I’ll do any necessary homeowner maintenance like toilet repairs, cartridge replacements, or annually flushing the tankless heater, but when it comes to anything modifying the pipes I’ll leave that to the pros.