Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I have a plumbing mystery I am trying to solve. This is probably a 'call a plumber' situation, but if I can understand what's going on before hand I'd like to.

The toilet at my shop does funny things when/after it rains. When it rains really hard it doesn't flush reliably. It's an older and low lying part of a very wet city and I figure the storm sewers overflow into the sanitary and back everything up-I get that and can live with it. Lately however, something strange has started happening for hours or even a day after it rains really hard. The toilet flushes more or less fine (maybe with a 'burp' where a big bubble comes out before all the water goes down), refills to it's normal water level, and then over the next several minutes, about half the water drains out. Flush again, 'burp', same thing happens. Its a yr old Kohler toilet, works great any time it isn't raining, and even when it starts raining its fine, its just after a while it starts acting up. When I rebuilt the bathroom a yr ago, I had plumbers move the toilet and vent stack a few feet and then hooked the toilet up myself. It's a ~60yr old building that wasn't well maintained recently if that matters, but everything from ground up is new as far as plumbing is concerned-all that is on the vent stack is this toilet and a sink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

PainterofCrap posted:

Sounds like your vent stack, isn’t.

Could the plumber have tied your roof rain leader (equivalent to a downspout) into your vent stack? A lot of traffic coming down would create both of those effects.

The vent stack is inside and goes straight from the ground near the toilet up through the roof-nothing else ties in. I need to get up on the roof to patch some leaks anyway-ill check to make sure a bird hasn't built a nest in it or something when I do. Outside (downstream from the toilet/stuff inside) there is a downspout that goes underground to....somewhere. Could that be part of the issue?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hello DIYers! We have a new forum/mod feedback thread and would love to hear your thoughts!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944213

Get ready to read this message 15 more times in every thread you read!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Cross posting here because I forgot there was a plumbing thread:

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I have a plumbing problem. When my washing machine drains, it makes my toilet bubble and do strange things, and the washer overflows out it's little mini-vent stack:

The toilet is fairly far away from the washer, but right above where the washer drain line meets the main stack. Yesterday when this was happening, I flushed the toilet to see what would happen. It filled the bowl with water, and then drained slowly over the next couple minutes to below normal levels. Took a few flushes afterwards to get it to fill to the normal level.

I 'snaked' the washer drain line as far as I could with a garden hose and it was clear up until it bends and the hose wouldn't make the bend. Turning the hose on eventually led to water coming back out the cleanout, so I assume there is a partial clog somewhere. The toilet/sink/shower/kitchen all drain fine, and the shower ties into the same vent stack as the washer drain where it meets the main sewer pipe.

What's going on here? Do I just need to get my main sewer line snaked, or is there some weird vent problem? This has only started happening in the last month or three as far as I can tell. My guess is that there is a partial blockage that the volume of water from the washer overwhelms?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I would like to move the standpipe for my washing machine drain about 8 feet. Currently the washer is on an exterior wall and this is how it's vented:

I'd to move it to the other side of the laundry room on an interior wall about 8' away. Will the current vent be sufficient? I know there are some lateral distance considerations with venting (and maybe drain pipe diameter is part of that? Been a minute since I did any waste plumbing) and just wasn't sure. I may also have to lower the P trap on there to have the correct slope away from the new location-again does that present any problems?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Nitrox posted:

If you are within 8 ft of the main stack, you do not need additional vents. If not, you can do your regular drain, trap and an air admittance valve. You can hide it all inside an interior wall.
I am probably 15-20ft from the main stack thu the roof. If I'm within 8' of that weird stack pictured outside is that okay? Does the AAV need to be above the entrance to the standpipe for the washer drain or does the height of the AAV not really mnatter??