Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Last Chance posted:

Too late. :(

I’ve switched back to FF entirely though on Mac/Linux/Windows and it’s been good.

im doing more and more of my browsing on FF now after using chrome for ~13 years or so. i keep chrome around for things that basically break if adblock is running

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

I am also on the anti-Chromium bandwagon as I don't want it to become the Trident engine of the 2020s where sites are written for it rather than to standards

firefox (all platforms) - 2.93%
firefox (desktop) - 7.87%
firefox (mobile) - 0.49%

it's already joever

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Good news, sites run like poo poo on all browsers (except sometimes with FF+UBO)

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

doctorfrog posted:

Good news, sites run like poo poo on all browsers (except sometimes with FF+UBO)

chrome allocates 4 gigabytes of ram for a single guitar tab on ultimateguitartab last i checked

presumably from the billions of advertisements since the tabs are just text lmao

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just wanna complain about this because I was so annoyed about it.

I reinstalled Windows to one of my drives Sunday and all "appeared" well. Then the ordeal started.

Errors in Windows Update. Reviewing some stuff, I tried the usual dism /restorehealth and sfc /scannow. Both would fail completely. Sfc would report it couldn't even start the repair service. Dism would whine the sources were bad. Restarting services and such didn't work. Even if I downloaded a fresh iso and /sourced it, it would say the sources were no good. Indexes made no difference.

trying to do an in place reinstall would also fail inexplicably for no real reason.

Ended up having to just completely reinstall the system with rufus, bypassing my Microsoft account. Idek why these issues started anyway, maybe something corrupted in my backup I just willy nilly utilized on the first install.

Also /OneDrive/ was infested into my home directories despite the fact it wasn't even installed on the restore. Thankfully that issue is also gone now.

Now that's seems all fixed but the coolest thing to me is that if you have a severe problem with your Windows install you basically have 2-3 options and if none of then work the entire force of the support community for a Microsoft goes well, sucks to suck. Sorry you only have these arcane commands and if they don't work you're SOL. Granted I prob would not have been so hesitant to reinstall fresh if it wasn't just such a pain and didn't take like an hour.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Might also want to run a memory test, just to be on the safe side.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Can someone recommend a book, blog, or video that dives into how Windows 10/11 actually runs? My current understanding of Windows is from the user's perspective. I'd like to better understand what is happening behind the scenes and how Windows processes and services work.

If I have a brand new Windows 10/11 install without any bloatware, what processes are running by default and what are they doing? That kind of stuff.

I know it's a huge topic and my ultimate end goal is to improve my understanding of Windows from a cyber defense perspective.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
imo, playing with Linux, you'll start to grasp a lot of the background work going on. The super underlying processes at work -- services running through a kernel -- are fundamental. Then you'll have a handle on a starting point to begin to see the comparisons and contrasts that make Windows different from Unix systems.

Or start looking into The Microsoft NT kernel, start low and work upwards through the stacks.

and/or ---

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/resources/windows-internals

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

ziasquinn posted:

imo, playing with Linux, you'll start to grasp a lot of the background work going on. The super underlying processes at work -- services running through a kernel -- are fundamental. Then you'll have a handle on a starting point to begin to see the comparisons and contrasts that make Windows different from Unix systems.

Or start looking into The Microsoft NT kernel, start low and work upwards through the stacks.

and/or ---

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/resources/windows-internals

That book looks like a good start, thanks!

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

ziasquinn posted:

Just wanna complain about this because I was so annoyed about it.

I reinstalled Windows to one of my drives Sunday and all "appeared" well. Then the ordeal started.

Errors in Windows Update. Reviewing some stuff, I tried the usual dism /restorehealth and sfc /scannow. Both would fail completely. Sfc would report it couldn't even start the repair service. Dism would whine the sources were bad. Restarting services and such didn't work. Even if I downloaded a fresh iso and /sourced it, it would say the sources were no good. Indexes made no difference.

trying to do an in place reinstall would also fail inexplicably for no real reason.

Ended up having to just completely reinstall the system with rufus, bypassing my Microsoft account. Idek why these issues started anyway, maybe something corrupted in my backup I just willy nilly utilized on the first install.

Also /OneDrive/ was infested into my home directories despite the fact it wasn't even installed on the restore. Thankfully that issue is also gone now.

Now that's seems all fixed but the coolest thing to me is that if you have a severe problem with your Windows install you basically have 2-3 options and if none of then work the entire force of the support community for a Microsoft goes well, sucks to suck. Sorry you only have these arcane commands and if they don't work you're SOL. Granted I prob would not have been so hesitant to reinstall fresh if it wasn't just such a pain and didn't take like an hour.

Could be a bad SSD?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

kri kri posted:

Could be a bad SSD?

I don't think so, all the problems have gone away now. I think my Windows backup was all hosed up. probably something I did at some point.. I might as well test the ram at least though.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Nah, I had that type of poo poo happen with 10 twice. Hardware was not the problem. And it was 100% inexplicable, nothing like a half-restored backup or anything else as a possible cause. Also generally centered around an update that either wedged & failed, or installed but broke the desktop in the process.

Basically modern windows is super reliable... until it has a problem, at which point it is super difficult to troubleshoot. MS has been very neglectful of good error reporting to the event log for all the UI and desktop-user stuff. When XP or 7 had problems I could figure them out. For 10 I sacrificed chickens and other complete voodoo like dism-sfc or powershell AppxPackage re-registering.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hey, on Windows 10, anyone know if it's possible to make 'Date Modified' one of the default sort options for every folder?

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Date Modified has always been one of the default columns for me as long as I switch to Details view.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

MikeJF posted:

Hey, on Windows 10, anyone know if it's possible to make 'Date Modified' one of the default sort options for every folder?

I think once you set it on one folder you can go to the folder options - view tab and hit apply to all folders.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Klyith posted:

Nah, I had that type of poo poo happen with 10 twice. Hardware was not the problem. And it was 100% inexplicable, nothing like a half-restored backup or anything else as a possible cause. Also generally centered around an update that either wedged & failed, or installed but broke the desktop in the process.

Basically modern windows is super reliable... until it has a problem, at which point it is super difficult to troubleshoot. MS has been very neglectful of good error reporting to the event log for all the UI and desktop-user stuff. When XP or 7 had problems I could figure them out. For 10 I sacrificed chickens and other complete voodoo like dism-sfc or powershell AppxPackage re-registering.

Honestly find it somehow insulting that Windows install asks if you wanna call someone. Just give me real logs. please god

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Is there a way to get rid of the "send crash data to Microsoft?" Pop-up when an app crashes and I force close it? It's minor but it's an annoying extra click to make a frozen app go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I use Winaero Tweaker and there's an option for that. (https://winaero.com/disable-error-r...=errorreporting)