Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Can anyone recommend the most lightweight software for remapping keys to shortcuts on a per-program basis? The Keyboard Manager in Powertoys will let you remap individual keys globally, and let you remap shortcuts per-program, but won't let you remap a shortcut to an individual key per-program, for whatever dumb reason.

So, for a specific program, I'd like (as an example) to be able to press NumPad-1 and have the program register it as Right-Alt + Left-Arrow.

I know AHK exists, but considering it has a whole bunch of advanced functionality I don't need, I was hoping there was something with a lighter footprint that could do the basic things I need. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Thanks, I was able to get AHK to do what I wanted it to do, although I did it myself since I don't trust ChatGPT with anything I don't already have a working knowledge of when it comes to coding/scripting, since I'll have no clue whether there's some sort of subtle mistake that will cause errors or horrible things to happen.

The scripting of the keys themselves was easy enough, although I was significantly tripped up by #IfWinActive being deprecated in 2.0. I was going nuts trying to figure out why AHK was giving me an unrecognized command error until I eventually found a Google result that informed me that I needed #HotIf WinActive instead. (Having different syntax for different versions and not knowing to emphasize that in a prompt would've led my astray there, too, since it seems like the vast majority of online results refer to 1.1.)

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
The W11 notification shade is actually nicer than the W10 one, but I have to keep turning off notifications for programs because 90% of them are spam garbage.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
I use browser notifications for Outlook/Teams, but that's it.

My above comment was about my own programs/OS trying to spam me with bullshit, not websites. And I don't have a problem with just disabling them, but it's annoying when a program has a useful notification or two I might want to see, but I have to disable everything because it's not worth dealing with the "try this feature!" spam from the program.

Quixzlizx fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 31, 2023

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
If you're OK with a third-party tool, O&O App Buster can uninstall the un-uninstallable Windows apps, although I just disabled the core ones like Cortana since I wasn't sure if ripping them out would break a bunch of other stuff.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
I found out today that default OneDrive behavior includes OD autosaving/syncing open Excel files and overwriting the original file.

No additional commentary needed.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Medullah posted:

It's always been like that though? Just click off auto saving for the docs you don't want it saving

I'd rather just not use OneDrive than have to change a setting for every Excel file I create and hope I don't forget once and get hosed over.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Fruits of the sea posted:

The obvious solution to this is to save the files as new documents - since functionally they are different excel files which should not be confused with one another.

The issue is I don't want to save them at all. I don't want any modification to any file I open to be saved over the original file without my prompting.

But I guess what I'm hearing is that OneDrive shouldn't be used as a backup solution, it's more like an outgrowth of Sharepoint. So I guess I'll need to bother my company's IT department.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Medullah posted:

I live in Excel for work, OneDrive has saved my rear end more times than I care to count when something happened and my PC crashed. It's a phenomenal backup option.

I'm struggling to understand why this is such a huge problem for you. If you have an office document that you don't want to change at all, make a copy of it or use versioning. Are you afraid that OneDrive is going to delete something?

I honestly don't know what to tell you when you're acting like I'm insane for not wanting every modification to an open file to be immediately saved over the original copy. I don't want to have to make another copy of an Excel file every single time I have to open an existing one, then copy it back over to my OneDrive folder if I decide I want to keep any modifications I made.

I would say over 50% of the time when I'm using Excel, I'm opening some sort of template or reference document, or testing additions to a workbook/workflow, and don't want any fiddling I do in it to be saved unless I approve of the changes first.

Quixzlizx fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 27, 2024

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Saukkis posted:

Isn't that what file recovery is for? It would make most sense for Excel to save every single modification to a temporary file in OneDrive and at the end of the session it will ask if you want to save them to the original document. Like it has behaved since forever.

That's not how it's behaving on my work computer, at least. I tested it with a blank file where I typed into one cell, then exited without saving. The original file had the modification.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It honestly sounds like you want one drive to work like, idk, a git repository?

I just want it to work like a sync service where files don't sync/overwrite the local copy until they're manually saved by the user. Does Dropbox autosave and overwrite open, unsaved Excel files? I'm pretty sure the Windows Google Drive client doesn't.

Some posters upthread have said that the auto-saving can be turned off, so I'm going to look into that when I start working tomorrow.

It's funny that you think I want more advanced versioning functionality when I actually want less "advanced," less integrated functionality.

Quixzlizx fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Date Modified has always been one of the default columns for me as long as I switch to Details view.