Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I've finally made the last step and have basically completely transitioned back to Firefox. The Chromium landscape is depressingly lovely and if Firefox ever shutters it's doors, you can probably say goodbye to any kind of comprehensive adblock forever, and hello to a shitload of targeted ads by default.

The nice thing is that Firefox is actually surprisingly decent these days. I haven't given it the time of day since Chrome basically beat the piss out of it, but it's a strong contender for all things surface level usability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Volguus posted:

They did. And sometimes they were poo poo. Depending on what book you read, making a graphical application in DOS that would activate and be able to use the mouse could make it unusable. Forever. It's been 30 years and I'm still salty about my first mouse that I killed with a simple C program. I mean ... the book was right, the mouse cursor appeared, I could move it, click on things (didn't implement yet reacting to those clicks), but after I exited the program the mouse never came back. Not in DOS. Not in Windows 3.x. drat brick.

Well, my interest is piqued. How did this happen? What did you write to brick a mouse?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
loving lol at the idea that the people choosing to stay on Windows 10 are being 'left behind'.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

jokes posted:

It still doesn’t have tabbed file explorer but at least it’s got curves

Yeah, first thing I did when I started demoing Windows 11 was rebuild my WPF template to override that trash to make sure all my apps have squared off edges. It *half works* because modern Windows is almost as bad as Mac OS when it comes to stupid opinionated UX, but if and when I move to W11, I'll try and fix it for real.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking for software that can duplicate a part of the screen and place it elsewhere.

My problem is as such: The Tetris Company has very stupid standards for where the 'next' block is located. I'd like to move it to a place that isn't stupid via video trickery. This is what the view normally looks like:

And this is roughly what I want:

Does there exist some software out there that will let me duplicate a piece of the screen and 'move' it elsewhere on the screen? Bonus points if I can also scale it to be larger then it's source.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

OBS could probably do that

Does OBS let you draw 'on top' of the game? I know you could set up a scene like that, but I didn't you could draw on top of the game. I'll investigate here.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Klyith posted:

There is a neat little program called on top replica that will do exactly what you want, both move and scale.

https://github.com/LorenzCK/OnTopReplica

Absolutely perfect

The Reshade solution actually looks really neat too. I gotta keep that in my back pocket for other things.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Windows Search has been total dogshit since forever and Microsoft is way too busy adding more advertisements and removing features to actually try and improve their OS.

More and more if you want Windows to do something, you have to download something third party that can actually do the thing. In this case, you are looking for a tool called Everything.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 25, 2022

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zotix posted:

Is Windows 11 safe/ worth upgrading to at this point? It's been a while, and I hope the kinks are worked out. I'm considering doing a Windows reset tomorrow, and if I do I might consider just doing the upgrade to 11 at the same time. My main use is gaming.

I mean, I wouldn't (and haven't). The one big item that is vastly improved is HDR support, so if that's a big deal for you, then it at least offers something. Other then that, it's a pretty major regression unless you really wish your desktop operating system was more like an iPad.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Make a 'Blockchain' channel and track who simps for that trash and then proceed to put them on the 'definitely lay this person off' list.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bank posted:

So, I don't really wanna open a can of worms or be a narc but I need a new key for another PC I'm building and need a copy of Windows. I was gonna go on SA-Mart, but..those keys can't be legit, right? I bought Office keys from one of the sellers before, and I didn't activate it for a few months. When I did, I got some random error message and was asked to go to a kinda sketchy website to get a phone activation code.. I'm actually kinda surprised those threads just keep going.

In the strictest sense of the word, they are not. But I'm not really losing sleep about it.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Guitarchitect posted:

There's no explicit recommendation in the OP so I'm hoping someone can assist - what's the best AV/Malware protection available right now? At my office we used webroot for a while but switched to Sentinel One after a cybersecurity incident, and it has been terrific - a bit intense and unavailable for home use it seems, but I'm open to anything. I've got BitDefender, and I paid for it, but it is driving me absolutely insane with the loving popups. I've tried everything they list in the forums but their official line is still "if it blocks an attack you will always get a popup because you may need to take action" - well apparently the world's hackers love me because I get attacked every five minutes, but the goddamn popups take "control" as top window so it interrupts emails, work that I'm doing, virtual presentations... I've had enough.

So - any paid solution I'm totally fine with, and free solutions are fine as well. Protection from hacks, password stealing, banking info, etc is very important so I do just want the best that I can get.

Just use Defender. The business of most modern AV is not to actually offer real protection, but to provide the illusion of protection while driving sales / up-selling. Most AV software actually increases the number of attack vectors available to potential malware.

Don't pay for AV. Just use Defender. Stop clicking on stupid poo poo.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It has been a very long time since I have acted as a domain admin of some variety, so what I'm about to say is dated information and should be treated as such.

Historically, AV in the business is way less about being an 'Anti-Virus' solution and a lot more about being, 'Remote Domain Management With Features and Stuff' solution. So, one of the things we did with our AV solution at the time was we tracked when people plugged in USB storage, what they moved on and off of it, and what they ran off of it. We had some flags where if you ran something we didn't recognize, we'd silently block that hoping to prompt a ticket so we could look at it more. We also applied a bunch of specific policies that you couldn't (or were hard) to do with GPO.

The actual Antivirus part of it was borderline useless, but we did get mileage out of the management tools. An older, wiser version of me however thinks that you could probably accomplish all of that with better Sys Admins who know more about GPO and Window's built in features.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lowclock posted:

There's a program for Windows that I had that could read and control actual monitor settings through a little UI. I can't remember what it was called, and googling just seems to bring up the normal nvidia/control panel setting poo poo. Anyone know what I'm looking for?

I do, but I'm phone typing right now. When I'm in front of a real computer, I'll track it down for you

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Yep, that's what I was thinking of - nice!

Notice that some monitors do not respect all the features of this software. It uses some spec I'm not super familiar with and depending on your monitor, it may or may not work.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

What's the current consensus on using Game Mode? I've seen posts saying "Always disable it" and other posts saying "Always enable it". I've got a i7-10700KF, Nvidia 2060 and 32gb of RAM.

Game Mode removes display-level post processing to provide faster response times. At it's best, this post processing can enhance contrast, clarity, etc., but at the cost of time - up to several dozen ms per frame. To that end, I would generally say leave it on but it's up to you since you are making a tradeoff.

Whoops, wrong thread. All of the above is super loving wrong. I was thinking about 'displays', not about 'Windows'.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 30, 2022

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

mcbexx posted:

Not free (and came with a price hike with the new version 2.0), but I switched to Affinity Photo 2-3 years ago and never looked back. One time payment, no subscription. No update discount for v2.0 though for existing users, but v1.x is still good enough for me. I will update eventually though.

I got it for under $25 back then, it's regularly discounted on the official site - right now they have an introductory 40% off for the new release, bringing it to around $49. For what it has to offer, that's still a steal in my opinion.

They're also offering a 30 day free trial, so you can check out the features (like the healing brush).

For duplicate images, I used Visipics once and it did its job well enough, despite the dated UI.

+1 to Affinity. I also switched a could years ago and have been very happy with. Things being different then Photoshop means there is a learning curve, but I've been very pleased.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Toshimo posted:

Is there any sort of good alternate front-end for discord? I have like 30 servers, but really only focus on a couple of channels per server, so I'd like something where I can just see the status of those channels, instead of whole servers (and not have to mute all the other channels on the server).

God, I so wish there was.

Discord as a service is actually very competent and I have naught but a few complaints and most of my thoughts would not be shifts in the service, but features suggestions and additions. Discord the client is pretty loving bad and I'd love more then anything for there to exist a desktop native app focused on functionality.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've been using Firefox as my browser of choice for about 18 months now. I have nice things to say.

or at least as many nice things as you could say about a browser.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

FunOne posted:

Is it finally time to update my desktop to Windows 11?

Is there a real, identifiable feature on Windows 11 you want? Are you OK with your desktop OS looking and functioning a lot more like a tablet OS?

If so, go nuts. Otherwise, I wouldn't.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SEKCobra posted:

Nah, it's just a kernel fault pointing at no device driver unfortunately.

Upload a few of the Minidumps and I'll take a look when I get a chance.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Windows 11 is not a problem for boomers. It's a problem for power users.

I'll be re-examining Linux in 2026. LTSC support expires at that point. I'll also be watching Windows 12 carefully - Windows has a storied history of releasing dogshit, then walking back the worst parts of said dogshit with the next release.

Gaming is an issue, but something that is reasonable to address. The real killer here honestly is Visual Studio - I actively refuse to touch any other IDE. VS is bae.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 15, 2023

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The LTSC version I have suggests support ending in 2026. I might have the wrong version I suppose?

E: Yep, There are apparently two version of LTSC. The Enterprise IoT one is good until 2032, and then the non IoT one seems to go until 2026.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Windows 10 and later has Shadowplay functionality just built in with 'Game Bar'. It's actually quite good and provides better general performance and frame pacing vs Shadowplay.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Annath posted:

Are there compelling reasons to make the jump?

Are there ways to get rid of the UI changes?

No, and no (3rd party stuff can fix a lot of it though, if you want to go that route).

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 30, 2023

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If you just install this random pile of 3rd party software - some that costs money and some that's free - Windows 11 kinda doesn't suck!

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tornhelm posted:

I'm sorry, have you not used Windows in the last 20 years?

I have and it makes me sad. I have a lot of complaints about W10 too. I just have a lot more about W11 :(.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

Is there a free app that will play Blu-ray movies on my computer? I don't need anything beyond basic playback, just would like to see what's on the disc sometimes before ripping it.

I think VLC can just do this. You might have to fiddle with the Region if memory serves, but it can do it all.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

Windows

Why is my page file forty-four gigabytes

What are you doing

Page is frequently *about* the size of your Physical if you let Windows self-manage it (which you generally should), but you can limit it if you so desire.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Professor Moriarty posted:

New Outlook won't let you change where file attachments are saved - everything gets dumped into the Downloads folder without even a prompt. :bang:

"We don't add features - we only delete them!" -- MS

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm going to avoid the new Outlook app for as long as possible, it's complete garbage.

Microsoft has been actively sabotaging their own software pretty much across the board for the last 10ish years. They used to have this pile of really good software and they've whittled that pile down to maybe but a half dozen apps I actually want to use.

It's a matter of time until Excel and VS get crapified. I actually 100% expect that VS 2025 will come out with something like, 'Look we made VS cross platform! And it has way fewer features... and is an electron app now!'

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 6, 2023

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

That's VS Code and it's awesome.

If you just need an editor, I can totally see the appeal of VS Code. But I'm not sure I would say VS Code is an IDE.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Dopamin used to be good. The Windows Native version was snappy and simple. It was my go-to baseline music player / manager. They moved it all to Electron and it is slow as poo poo now but at least it's cross platform... There is still a Windows Native version still available, but I don't think it gets updates.

Foobar2000 is kind of my current go to now. It is very 'functional first' kind of music player and I love it.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
They should keep moving more core functionality to UWP and see how that works out for them.

I can't wait for Notepad to start taking 5 seconds to load for the benefit of exactly fuckall!

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

qsvui posted:

:agreed:

now i just use the web app

I unironically think they are sabotaging their desktop poo poo more and more to get people to use that, so they have some data to say, 'See! Everyone is using the web app - We don't need to develop the desktop app any more!', when the reality is that they just hosed up the desktop app so much that their terrible web app is finally less terrible then their increasingly pathetic desktop app.

Office peaked hard at 2019 :(.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

eXXon posted:

I've had to digitally sign two fillable PDFs recently by filling them out in Acrobat Pro, cursing at it because it won't let me sign under any circumstances, using Microsoft print to PDF to save an unfillable copy, then signing that. Is this the fault of whoever created the form forgetting to make a fillable signature field or what? It still seems ludicrous that Acrobat won't let you sign the original.

I'm really confused at why 'signing a PDF' has a ritual around it. More then once, I've pulled PDFs into Affinity Photo to draw a signature on them because the PDF editors treat signing like it's a loving magic trick or something.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Can you even blow away Windows login creds if you don't know your MS account info / pin with ye olde Offline NT Password Manager? Or are you now firmly in 'Format C:' territory?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I wish the US would grow some balls and actually push some legislation to make software like less lovely.

I more wish Windows didn't suck so loving much that i have to hope for legislation to fix it

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

god please help me posted:

Pardon if I'm barking up the wrong tree, but is there any software that would help me figure out what my computer was doing before it crashes? My computer has been experiencing a lot of worrying crashes lately when it's just idling doing nothing, or just with an internet browser open, and I'd like to know what the cause of it is.

The computer remains powered on, while turning off power to my peripherals like my RGB mouse and keyboard. I have to force restart the crashed PC by holding the power button until it reboots again.

Any recommendations for good crash monitoring software? I'm not sure if the issue is with a recent video driver update, a new Microsoft update, or if my computer can't handle having two monitors all of a sudden.

Depends a lot on the nature of the crash. If it's a BSOD, you can probably get a enough information from it's minidump to start getting close to the issues. If it's just a hard freeze (which is what it seems like you are describing), then it's almost certainly hardware related and should prompt a run of diagnostics on said hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Event viewer is useful for "application crashed to desktop" kind of issues (sometimes...). You have to see through the noise, but you might be able to get the exception of it, which may at least point to something.

For a "Windows needs to be restart / BSOD" situation, you get a 41 marking the time of death, and likely nothing else that useful in event viewer. A minidump will be substantially more useful... But then you need to know how to deal with a minidump.