Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

You're supposed to sniff it, not taste it :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Could I detail those aforementioned model cars with warm water and a soft rag/Q-tip? I feel like alcohol would be a little harsh for how old they are in particular

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Could I detail those aforementioned model cars with warm water and a soft rag/Q-tip? I feel like alcohol would be a little harsh for how old they are in particular

Buff off any residual water with a lens cloth and you should be good to go.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.

Ensign Expendable posted:

I checked scalemates and goddamn, it too me a year to make this.

Full album: https://imgur.com/a/eNtoyus

Great work! It's a wonderful feeling to get the point to call a long running project "done". Which kits are combined in the diorama?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

therunningman posted:

Great work! It's a wonderful feeling to get the point to call a long running project "done". Which kits are combined in the diorama?

A bunch of them are old figures that I repainted, but from what I recall:

Zvezda M-30 howitzer
Miniart heavy artillery crew
Miniart ZIS-3 gun
Zvezda Soviet sniper team
ICM winter war Soviet infantry
Zvezda Soviet reconnaissance team
Tamiya Soviet tank riders
Dragon Soviet tank riders
ICM horse cart driver either from their 45 mm or 76 mm gun set

The stump is 3D printed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Vaporware posted:

Holy moly, I assumed there would be some major work to get the heng long M1A1 running but it's RTR. I mean you still need to add the details but I wasn't expecting it buttoned up like this.

I suppose I need to look up some teardown videos or something to know how to maintain it. the instructions are sparse.

Nice one, that means there's a whole two people in the thread with RC tanks. Did you get the professional version with metal running gear or the plastic version?

I don't know if theres anything specific to that model you need to worry about but I can offer general RC tank advice. Maintaining it will depend on what kind of running gear you have (i.e. metal vs plastic) and the sort of environment you're using it in. If you're just running it indoors or on hard surfaces there's not much to worry about and it will likely be a long time before you need to replace anything that breaks or wears out, especially if you have metal parts. Plastic tracks will eventually break through fatigue but its a fairly simple and cheap process to just swap out the broken link with a new one. Metal tracks will stretch over time so it might be advantageous if it doesn't come with one to install an adjustable idler so you can finely adjust track tension.

If you are going to use it in rugged terrain like mud or sand you'll want to periodically strip down the running gear and give it a good clean. Some would say do it after every run. Sand and grit getting into parts and being left for a long period of time will cause excessive wear, especially with plastic running gear.

Avoid sharp turns or pivot turning on difficult surfaces such as thick carpet or wet grass - doing so will put excessive strain on the running gear and gearboxes. Repeatedly doing so can lead to the track teeth slipping or tracks coming off entirely, to broken sprockets, idlers or gearboxes. Plastic running gear is more vulnerable to this than metal running gear, but in the case of the latter the strain is just transferred to the plastic mountings where the idlers attach to the hull.

If your tank is all plastic and you decide you fancy upgrading to metal parts, bear in mind its practically an all or nothing deal. The only part of the running gear that can remain plastic are the road wheels and suspension swing arms, everything else; sprockets, idlers, tracks will need to be metal. The gearboxes will also need to be upgraded to the steel versions (but some plastic tanks do come with the steel gearboxes anyway). If you do spring for metal road wheels then the suspension swing arms will also need to be metal to go with them. Aside from the road wheels, mixing plastic parts with metal will just lead to the plastic parts breaking in short order.