Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Yeah I went to Lowes and got some rattlecan enamel for a few bucks. It's whatever. I wasn't in the mood to deep clean the enamel from my airbrush anyway!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Blue Footed Booby posted:

"No, Trumpeter, I don't believe I will."

(It's their BMP-3)

I am building a couple of Andy's and Das Werks 1/16 models and all the tracks are individual parts, with 3 pieces. So like 450 pieces to cut and sand and glue. So now I am going to do a Puma and a Greyhound instead. I wish puma kits would tell you there is supposed to be a big rear end mold line on the turret. I sanded the one on my bolt action kit off.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I am building a couple of Andy's and Das Werks 1/16 models and all the tracks are individual parts, with 3 pieces. So like 450 pieces to cut and sand and glue. So now I am going to do a Puma and a Greyhound instead. I wish puma kits would tell you there is supposed to be a big rear end mold line on the turret. I sanded the one on my bolt action kit off.

Loool I've done stuff like that before. The sanding off detail, not the multi part links. Every time I come across the latter I either find some marginally better aftermarket option, or just do the front part of the tracks and put it on a shelf between two other things. Life is too short. More importantly, I burn out too easily.

I found a company (read: guy) that sells pre-assembled working tracks, Sector35. But it's out of stock everywhere I've looked. The guy is Ukrainian, and the internet rumor mill says he was killed in a rocket attack. :(

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Mold line or weld line?

Try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW65lwwfJqk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9sXcCtg9yw

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I am building a couple of Andy's and Das Werks 1/16 models and all the tracks are individual parts, with 3 pieces. So like 450 pieces to cut and sand and glue.

Not sure what exact models these are, but you may want to see if there are some 3D printed tracks out there for them. Printed tracks are basically ready to go. Just need to snap them together, or push a pin into place. They can get pretty pricey though, depending on the model, and in 1/16 scale.

https://panzerwerkdesign.com.pl/pl/c/Ogniwa-gasienicy/16/1/default/3
https://www.t-rex-studio.com/ProductInfoCategory?categoryId=133074&PageInfoId=0

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Chuck_D posted:

I've wanted to do battle damage on a model since I was kid. :D

I call this one "Bit of a rough go today, eh, chap?" A 610 Squadron Spitfire Mk Ia returns home after tussling with some Messerschmitts over the Channel.

Now that this is done, I can get working on the payment for Friend, purveyor of micro-scale Trucknutz™.

I said I would accept a cardboard coaster from a local bar or a 90's pog you have in a drawer or some random sticker or whatever the gently caress would fit in an envelope. Your models ITT have been super inspiring and motivational and dope as hell so don't worry about finding something perfect! I literally hit a few buttons and my robot printer whirred for 5 minutes to make a dozen tiny nut sacks.

Send me something dumb before I have to give you a red text about testicle theft >: (

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Does anyone have any tips for cutting XPS foam (without a hot wire), specifically shapes like squares/rectangles?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Not sure, but definitely a line.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url...QAAAAAdAAAAABBP

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

neurotech posted:

Does anyone have any tips for cutting XPS foam (without a hot wire), specifically shapes like squares/rectangles?

I currently just use my hotwire for foam cutting but I hope to soon get a table top hot wire foam cutter for this purpose. It's like a small band saw that's designed for cutting foam. You can get them for around 100 dollars-ish, give or take.

EDIT - thank you to whomever recommended the Tamiya 1/350 class Fletcher as a ship to build. Thing builds like a dream and is a lot of fun! Looking forward to painting it.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 21, 2024

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Marx Headroom posted:

Possibly stupid idea: can I airbrush Tamiya Accent Panel Liner onto plastic primed with lacquer (Mr Surfacer)?

I'm doing a one-off project (painting a Digimon virtual pet black as a gift, remember those things? They still sell them at markup to sad millennials) and want the paint coat to be rock solid, able to withstand everyday pocket and purse jostling.

I've read that enamel is my best shot but I don't feel like ordering a whole bottle for 1-3 coats and I have this panel liner lying around and it's enamel, soooo...

If you really want to protect it hit it with a 2K clear coat after you're done painting it. I'm pretty sure you can get 2k In gloss, semi gloss and matte finishes.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Friend posted:

Send me something dumb before I have to give you a red text about testicle theft >: (

The check is in the mail! I swear it! :D

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Friend posted:

I'm just gonna say in my decade (and Chuck's two) on this website, that would probably be the best contextless red text anyone ever got.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Charliegrs posted:

If you really want to protect it hit it with a 2K clear coat after you're done painting it. I'm pretty sure you can get 2k In gloss, semi gloss and matte finishes.

That's pretty funny and I am definitely doing this, thanks. Always wanted my virtual pets to withstand highway conditions.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Chuck_D posted:

The check is in the mail! I swear it! :D

You're off the hook, the tiny singing (were?)wolf arrived today and is howling on the hood of my pickup, thank you

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Friend posted:

You're off the hook, the tiny singing (were?)wolf arrived today and is howling on the hood of my pickup, thank you

Yay! May you be forever blessed by a host of furries. Yiff yiff, amen.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Turns out my wife actually listens to me when I’m getting all nerdy about WW2 tanks. She was out shopping with friends and came back with these for me.

I knew she was the one many years ago but it’s nice to have these frequent reminders.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
ohh she even had the innate sense to get the KT with the good turret

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Tamiya too, clearly a lady of refinement and with a discerning eye.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Turns out my wife actually listens to me when I’m getting all nerdy about WW2 tanks. She was out shopping with friends and came back with these for me.

I knew she was the one many years ago but it’s nice to have these frequent reminders.

Good work! A few years ago for Xmas my gf got me a bunch of Eduard 1/72 aircraft kits (Mig 15, Mig 21 and Z-73A I think), she said she'd remembered me blathering on about Eduard being a good manufacturer and had then taken some sneaky reference photos of my stash to ensure she didn't buy any I already had.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

She got a bit confused and overwhelmed by the sheer amount of M4 variants that were on the shelves apparently, so she decided to be on the safe side and just stick with the M4 original.

I’ve assured her that when it comes to Shermans there’s no such thing as “the wrong one”. I never expected to hear my other half ask me “what the hell is an Easy Eight?”

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Lord Ludikrous posted:

She got a bit confused and overwhelmed by the sheer amount of M4 variants that were on the shelves apparently, so she decided to be on the safe side and just stick with the M4 original.

I’ve assured her that when it comes to Shermans there’s no such thing as “the wrong one”. I never expected to hear my other half ask me “what the hell is an Easy Eight?”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CZWKr8_8C4

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

:yayclod:

edit: :yaybutt:

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 23, 2024

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Um actually the Ram is not a Sherman variant, it's a Lee variant.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

One of the model kits I picked up is a Revell 1:24 Ford GT-40 that's missing the rims. I assume the owner stole the rims for a different kit. I looked online but didn't find a replacement and even emailing Revell came up with nothing. So I'm going to try 3D printing them.

I'm genuinely surprised there weren't any add-on's for the kit.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Since Akira Toriyama died, I decided to put together one of the Fine Molds kits based off his designs.

This is a vintage '94 model, and I'm pretty sure they made the original master cast out of green stuff, based on some of the textural artifacts. Lotta filling, lotta sanding. That break in the bag strap just outright cannot be made to fit, and I got too lazy to cut the whole thing off and reposition it. Alas.

I get the impression the very detailed PPSh was intended to be about half the draw of the kit, instead of just an accessory.

I've got the Flyhawk T-34 in the mail to replace the Trumpeter one on the plinth, so I guess that'll be my next show-off post in this thread. Look forward to it in six to twelve months.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

That whole build is pretty sweet, but I especially love the wood grain on the ppsh.

Meanwhile, speaking of Russian equipment, I was working on the trumpeter BMP-3 I complained about before when I was struck, as I occasionally am, by how BIG modern fighting vehicles are.

Here's the work in progress with a Char B1 in the same scale. Imagine what a BMP with a 30mm auto cannon could do on the Eastern front.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I suppose a progress report is due on the truck

This is the mess of an engine. Man, this has been a nightmare to put together. There are parts that were repeatedly glued, snapped off intentionally and re-glued in what hopefully was the right place. This is being printed Monday on clear and then die cut out.

And I found a 3D file and then adjusted it for the wheel rims. I hope it works.

I hadn't said anything but that Spit from a couple of pages back was amazing.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Hi folks, I've got a project for someone to improve an otherwise very nice 1:6 scale cat figure that has no whiskers. I couldn't work out what was off about it until i realised.

Any suggestions for material? And adhesive, keeping in mind it's already painted.

Many thanks

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

I'd use stretched sprue, you can make it essentially hair-thick and it will be rigid enough to behave like a whisker.

There's lots of tutorials on YouTube, but I hold a length of sprue above a candle and gently heat it then once it starts warming up, swiftly pull the two ends of it apart. It takes a bit of practice but after a while you can achieve different thicknesses of stretched sprue.

Lord Rupert
Dec 28, 2007

Neither seen, nor heard
I’ve used fishing line for fuel lines and the like on cars. Comes in a bunch of sizes/colors too, but clear is probably the best bet. CA glue and pilot holes sized appropriately for attaching the line.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

A picture might help. It will probably make me giggle a bit too.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

That whole build is pretty sweet, but I especially love the wood grain on the ppsh.

Meanwhile, speaking of Russian equipment, I was working on the trumpeter BMP-3 I complained about before when I was struck, as I occasionally am, by how BIG modern fighting vehicles are.

Here's the work in progress with a Char B1 in the same scale. Imagine what a BMP with a 30mm auto cannon could do on the Eastern front.

Thanks!

Comparative bigness is legit one of the reasons I consider buying kits in first place, let alone putting the things together to gawp at them side-by-side. Just scratches an urge deep in the brain to categorize and compare.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Cutting foam with a box cutter is an extremely frustrating experience for me, so I'm going to invest in a hot wire cutter.

I'm currently considering this: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/223201614660 - has anyone bought something similar to this kind? It seems fine... :shrug:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

neurotech posted:

Cutting foam with a box cutter is an extremely frustrating experience for me, so I'm going to invest in a hot wire cutter.

I'm currently considering this: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/223201614660 - has anyone bought something similar to this kind? It seems fine... :shrug:

I have that exact unit, and it works great. The only downside I could think of is the apparatus for tensioning and aligning the wire is a bit finicky, but that's it really. Cuts foam so nicely, I'd never go back to doing it with a blade.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I have that exact unit, and it works great. The only downside I could think of is the apparatus for tensioning and aligning the wire is a bit finicky, but that's it really. Cuts foam so nicely, I'd never go back to doing it with a blade.

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm gonna pull the trigger on it. $100 AUD is a pretty good deal from what I can tell.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

tidal wave emulator posted:

I'd use stretched sprue, you can make it essentially hair-thick and it will be rigid enough to behave like a whisker.

There's lots of tutorials on YouTube, but I hold a length of sprue above a candle and gently heat it then once it starts warming up, swiftly pull the two ends of it apart. It takes a bit of practice but after a while you can achieve different thicknesses of stretched sprue.

I have plenty of grey sprue, it turns white when twisted so i imagine this would happen when stretched as well. May work well, thanks.

Lord Rupert posted:

I’ve used fishing line for fuel lines and the like on cars. Comes in a bunch of sizes/colors too, but clear is probably the best bet. CA glue and pilot holes sized appropriately for attaching the line.

Of course, I totally forgot about fishing line.
Not too keen to risk drilling holes in it though, I'll take my chances with just the CA

Thanks folks

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I varnished my Abrams three months ago and haven't touched it or the unpainted crew since. There is also a 1:48 Hasegawa F-22 Raptor menacingly watching me from the closet, daring me to begin the inevitable decade of doing the cockpit. Please help.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

I'm planning out a new project, which is basically building a small fantasy/medieval "Witch Hut". I'm looking for recommendations for what to use for the walls - I've got some spare chipboard, but it's really annoying to cut. I want something that's easy to cut, is relatively strong, and won't warp once it takes on glue or paint. Is balsa wood the best option here?

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

How big are the walls? A thicker plastic "For Sale" sign glued to some coraplast would hold up. If you know of a local sign shop they might have some coroplast scrap.

The Mack truck is done.

I'll add license plates later but I don't know if I'll do much weathering. My wife doesn't know I found a trailer really cheap and it will probably be awhile before I build it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Those decals really turned out! Did the kit have any originally?