Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Can I get an airbrush recommendation? I've had an old $30 Master airbrush for years, the trigger is getting sticky (I probably got some cleaner in there by mistake) but looking into the repair process and how much enjoyment I've gotten out of this hobby I figure I might as well upgrade. The Badger line looks good and affordable to me. My local Blick has mostly Iwata stuff. I mostly paint miniatures these days but I have a few gunpla projects waiting for warmer weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Seems pretty unanimous and in line with where I was leaning. Thanks!

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Possibly stupid idea: can I airbrush Tamiya Accent Panel Liner onto plastic primed with lacquer (Mr Surfacer)?

I'm doing a one-off project (painting a Digimon virtual pet black as a gift, remember those things? They still sell them at markup to sad millennials) and want the paint coat to be rock solid, able to withstand everyday pocket and purse jostling.

I've read that enamel is my best shot but I don't feel like ordering a whole bottle for 1-3 coats and I have this panel liner lying around and it's enamel, soooo...

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah I went to Lowes and got some rattlecan enamel for a few bucks. It's whatever. I wasn't in the mood to deep clean the enamel from my airbrush anyway!

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Charliegrs posted:

If you really want to protect it hit it with a 2K clear coat after you're done painting it. I'm pretty sure you can get 2k In gloss, semi gloss and matte finishes.

That's pretty funny and I am definitely doing this, thanks. Always wanted my virtual pets to withstand highway conditions.