Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

AFewBricksShy posted:

Has anyone found any stupid high res shots of the eclipse? I want to use one as a desktop background.
I traveled to Erie for the eclipse. Totality was amazing, the drive home sucked (7.5 hrs). My wife said it was a lot of effort for 3 minutes, I told her that's the story of my life.

I'm glad things worked out in Erie. That was my original plan to travel to from Pittsburgh, but the forecast scared me and I went west instead to meet some Amateur Astronomy Association of Pittsburgh folks west of Akron, Ohio. Were you stuck in the gridlock to get to Erie in the morning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Star Man posted:

I'm glad things worked out in Erie. That was my original plan to travel to from Pittsburgh, but the forecast scared me and I went west instead to meet some Amateur Astronomy Association of Pittsburgh folks west of Akron, Ohio. Were you stuck in the gridlock to get to Erie in the morning?

No we shot up 79 from cranberry around 11, almost no traffic. We were actually just south of Erie, west Springfield.
Getting back to Philly sucked rear end though (we stayed at my in-laws in Pittsburgh for the weekend)

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Apr 10, 2024

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Some dusty skies this morning

Corona Australis Molecular Cloud by Marc, on Flickr

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Why does it bother me so much these astrophotography people I associate with not know any of their constellations?

Why does this bother me so much? This poo poo is something I want to explore next year or the year after, but holy poo poo these people approach it like a drive-by shooting.

simble
May 11, 2004

big

Back on my poo poo with space sharks.

~9 hours of LRGB.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Beautiful, thanks for sharing!

Does anyone know just how far-reaching light pollution from mercury and sodium lights can be? I'm about to plonk down some money for a CLS filter. I'm in a suburb and the streets in my vicinity have all already switched to LED streetlights- is there enough ambient light pollution from mercury/sodium that your immediate LED-lit surroundings don't render CLS useless?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
My new goal in life is to learn how to operate this.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Big ol solar flare is sending us possible auroras tomorrow night.

Does anyone know what kind of bortle numbers would be needed to see this magnitude of aurora from Seattle?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Salt Fish posted:

Big ol solar flare is sending us possible auroras tomorrow night.

Does anyone know what kind of bortle numbers would be needed to see this magnitude of aurora from Seattle?

Seattle is just barely in range of this one. It probably won't be dark enough where you are to see anything (light pollution), and there'll probably be mountains. trees and structures in the way - if there's anything it see it'll be on the northern horizon.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also we're 6 weeks from the solstice so you gotta stay up laaaate to get full dark.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

xzzy posted:

Also we're 6 weeks from the solstice so you gotta stay up laaaate to get full dark.

That's uh, not abnormal for some of us

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

xzzy posted:

Its expected to be late/early next morning anyway. Astronomical twilight ends at 10:32PM tomorrow night.

The new moon was like Wednesday, so if you do find darkish skies, you're got as good a chance as you're going to get at this latitude. I'd look for Bortle 4 or better, which is well into rural, I don't think there's any B4 in King, Pierce, or Sno...

(Edit I mentioned counties because I thought this was the Seattle thread lol)

Base Emitter fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 10, 2024

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm doing a three-night camping trip for a star party in Cherry Springs State Park in June. I knew it would late before it got dark out, but while looking ahead for what planets may be visible, I forgot how late until it really gets dark out it would be.

Good thing I'm going with a french easel and painting gear.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Base Emitter posted:

Its expected to be late/early next morning anyway. Astronomical twilight ends at 10:32PM tomorrow night.

The new moon was like Wednesday, so if you do find darkish skies, you're got as good a chance as you're going to get at this latitude. I'd look for Bortle 4 or better, which is well into rural, I don't think there's any B4 in King, Pierce, or Sno...

(Edit I mentioned counties because I thought this was the Seattle thread lol)

I was thinking north of Index which is 90 minutes east. I assume I can find some last minute camping up there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Looks like the storm really went off the rails and the forecast is calling for potential visibility as far south as Denver tonight. So I'm definitely going out. Those of you near the 45th parallel should get a nice show.

Tomorrow night looks less dramatic but may still have some action.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

xzzy posted:

Those of you near the 45th parallel should get a nice show.

:saddowns:

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

xzzy posted:

Looks like the storm really went off the rails and the forecast is calling for potential visibility as far south as Denver tonight. So I'm definitely going out. Those of you near the 45th parallel should get a nice show.

Same here. But I'll probably just hike up to my dog-walking spot, which is B4. I can drive to B3 if it is really popping off, but my north sky is zero light pollution (everything is south and east of me), hoping that's enough.

My aurora story: first time I ever saw it was 12-14 years ago. I was working up an an air force station in AK. We had 2 shifts going, and since my sleep schedule is always a mess I volunteered for night shift, had a couple of local hires helping me out. We were doing our thing working with headlamps, I'm staring at a laptop most of the night while they move sensors around. About 2AM one of them asked me "Hey, you ever see the lights in Oregon?" um, no. "Well duh dude look up." and we spent the night working under it. That was a unique work experience.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just road trip up to Canada, no biggie.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's still twilight but I swear my camera is picking up reddish vertical streaks to the north with green near the horizon. So uh if you were on the fence.. go outside.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP
Pretty cloudy in my neck of upstate New York, but I started to see a bit of pink breaking through some of the thinner clouds and gaps. I was able to get this shot just with an Olympus TG-6 on nighttime settings, composite shot for about 40-50 seconds.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

It was visible as far South as Little Rock apparently, because I have friends all over the state who were posting some pretty incredible pictures! I'm sad I was stuck at work all night but i'm living vicariously through them.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I think the peak was done over Pittsburgh by the time I got to an astronomy club observatory. We had an impromptu star party.

I couldn't see any color in the sky. I think I got a little bit on my camera. I only just now learned how to use my Pixel 6's astrophotography mode.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Seattle, taken with my cellphone pretty crazy to see in person.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

xzzy posted:

It's still twilight but I swear my camera is picking up reddish vertical streaks to the north with green near the horizon. So uh if you were on the fence.. go outside.

Pawnee Buttes! Haven't been there in years.

I started up the hill behind my house and it was littered with people on UTVs so I just stayed at the base and tried to shoot between headlights. So no iteresting foreground at all. Just an XT-2 w/ 23mm f/2. I was shooting 4s, f/2

ISO1600

ISO3200

ISO1000 in my backyard, streetlights bouncing.

I'm getting a bit worn on manually focusing the XT2, You can't get much zoom on the live view to really see your star shape. It'll look great in the field, but on a monitor ho boy.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Amazing stuff. I guess I can't complain too loudly about missing this after a perfect eclipse viewing. I read that there's a chance for more activity tonight, is that correct?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Through the whole weekend. There's more CMEs on the way. This is a geomagnetic storm for the record books.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

pumped up for school posted:

Pawnee Buttes! Haven't been there in years.

A lovely place but it isn't what it used to be. To the south is lights from oil pumps and to the north and east is lights from wind turbines. It's kind of hard to find a little nook that isn't polluted by both.

I can't be mad about it, I drive a car and use electricity just like every one else. But a serene remote getaway it is not.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I have to settle with yinzer borealis tonight

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I still can't figure how to use imgur through the app at the moment so I'm linking my insta

https://www.instagram.com/p/C60wsrNrbBL/?igsh=MWc4enR1eG9lYmRtYg==

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I did a little timelapse, then imgur butchered the encoding. Oh well, it's just cool fun not a high end video production.

https://i.imgur.com/lZ1QGvd.mp4

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Even had a bit of a display here in Hawkes Bay. I missed the best part of it due to being at work though but took a few snaps from the backyard when I got home about 1am

simble
May 11, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNePkNksM_o

Drove a couple hours north on Saturday to some place outside Mayer, AZ and got this.

Well worth the drive.

Canon R8, ISO 3200, 24mm, f/1.8 (too fast, oh well), 5s exposures.

You can certainly file this under things I never thought I'd see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It really convinced me that I need to get to Iceland or Fairbanks in the winter and see aurora that are actually visible to the eye. Or at least my eyes, mine are kinda poo poo now.

The grey haze I saw wasn't much of an event for me even though the colors the camera captured were absurd.