Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hello fellow kiwis!!

The weather has been my fault as I just bought a mount off one of the local astro pages

https://www.ioptron.com/product-p/7100.htm

I liked the payload and the price was right. Just need a clear night so i can actually use the drat thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I got lucky with a listing on Aotearoa Astro. Beyond that I don't really know sorry.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I, well.

I took these last night. My gear isn't much cop and I'm still learning, but please - feedback welcomed.

Celestron Astromaster 130eq on iOptron ZEQ25, using my S22 Ultra.

There was unfortunately a little wispy cloud that left my Saturn image less crisp than I'd like, but I was very pleased with the moon.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Very nice! What's your gear? Too much bloody cloud in Auckland tonight

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I'm wondering about solar viewing/photography. I have an astromaster 130eq, looks like I might need a Herschel wedge?
I see solar filters are pretty readily available but I'm very hesitant to just buy something off Google and call it good - I value my eyesight. Wondered if anyone had any advice or knowledge to share?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I guess just the thought of not getting the right thing makes me nervous as gently caress haha

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I'm a very happy man. My ZEQ25 has been throwing RA overcurrent messages for a while now to the point where it was basically unusable. I found Paul Chasse's videos on youtube where he takes one apart and shows how to fine tune it, followed it to the letter and did the burning in process on the encoder motors as he shows, and...... it works flawlessly. I went to bed last night afterward instead of setting up for imaging, but I'll run it in tonight with my gear, but goddamn I am just so loving pleased that it appears to be working normally again.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

So.... I think my ZEQ25 might be toast. It's been having recurring issues with RA overcurrent for a while now. I first remember it happening after it slewed hard over and continued trying to slew until I killed the power. I followed Paul Chasse's excellent guide on tuning the mount to tear it down, and found evidence of notching and flattening on the main worm gearset. The worm gear itself looks OK, but the main gear does not. I didn't get a photo unfortunately, but there was clear notching and wearing on the teeth - some had flattening, some looking very worn, and as mentioned several had notches.

Do I impress my friends with a cool table ornament, or do I hope against hope that I might be able to replace the gear - maybe iOptron sell spares - and fit it myself? I'll take it apart again and see if I can get some photos to show the damage.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I replaced the hosed ring gear on my ZEQ mount. See if you can spot the difference! I also renewed the motor at the same time and it is working properly now. I am very happy.

Given the state of the ring gear I expected the worm to be trashed, but nope, looking pretty good.

I suspect there either wasn't enough, or no lubricant so I made sure to grease both the ring and the worm liberally.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

My first attempt at solar photography. I've reproduced the image desaturated and in colour. I'm very pleased it worked at all but I definitely look forward to developing the technique.

Nexstar Evolution 8 with celestron solar filter, 40mm Plössl eyepiece, Samsung s22 Ultra.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

NZ, so.... no, I think I'll miss it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

With a set up like that, did you basically own the scope already, and then go all in on the EQ mount, camera, etc all at once?

It’s hard for me to chart a path through learning astrophotography without a decent roadmap for what components you want to buy, and in what sequence, so that you don’t plonk down $10k hoping that it catches on.

I'm finding the same. I got an EQ mount cheap, then upgraded my scope but am still using my phone as camera, next steps are camera, it's such an expensive collection and with so many things to consider

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

That was loving awesome.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Here's something super awesome. I posted in my local neighborhood page about hosting a stargazing evening. We wound up with a whole bunch of people coming and going, and 6 or 7 telescopes set up!!
Including an absolute monster of a 16" that a guy had custom built. What an amazing evening!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

crossposting from cloudy nights

quote:

Hi there folks,

I was recently offered an option on a 10" mirror that was made and professionally finished by the owner's sadly departed husband. He had always intended to turn it into a telescope but that never came to pass.

I'm thinking I might finish what he started. Truthfully - I've never done anything like this before, but I studied marine engineering and have a pretty good skillset and most tools available.

My first questions are regarding the mirror - what do I need to look for? Blemishes, scratches etc are all pretty self-explanatory, but as far as the mirror itself goes should I be looking to measure curvature? Depth? Just hold it up at the focal length and see how it looks?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I intend to spend the next few weeks reading as much as I can and planning out this project - most likely I'll be going for some kind of home-built Dobsonian, but at this stage it is all just in the idea phase.

Thanks in advance!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Star Man posted:

Uranus is about halfway between Jupiter and the Pleiades. Uranus is so far away that its brightness is at the upper limit of naked-eye observation and looks like a dim background star. You need a telescope to make out its disc and pale cyan color. Your phone's camera might have captured it, but it's going to look indistinguishable from the other stars in that picture.

I've wondered a few times when you'd be able to see Uranus with the naked eye. Bortle 2? 1?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Post Orion, gently caress the haters.

FWIW I think the Seestar is neat as hell, and anyone who tries to gatekeep would probably just find something else to complain about anyway.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Raikyn posted:

Seeing as we are looking at orion, here is my wide angle shot from about a month ago

Remind me - you're down in the Hawke's Bay somewhere aren't you?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

OK, bit far for me to come from auckland haha

Nice images though!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

i am jealous of your 16" dob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I still can't figure how to use imgur through the app at the moment so I'm linking my insta

https://www.instagram.com/p/C60wsrNrbBL/?igsh=MWc4enR1eG9lYmRtYg==