Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Hey folks, I'm getting some cool space posters printed for my brother as a gift. Specifically, loving huge cool space posters (180 x 60cm):

(the original is 10630x3543 res)

I think I'm going to get it printed on a quality matt paper as it just won't show up on a glossy. But realistically I need to brighten it up as well. The problem with this is obviously that (a)it can start to look washed-out and (b)increasing brightness/constrast/saturation increased the noise/film grain dramatically.

I have very little experience editing night photos like this and everything I try seems to make it worse, even after doing various de-noising things. Does anyone have any tips for image adjustment?

e: for reference this is what the (ridiculously helpful) dudes at posterjack came up with, the grain/noise just pops when you up the brightness etc.:

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Looking for some advice on upgrading to a better finder scope. We use a Rigel Quick Finder which is great, super open view and very simple. Really easy to find stuff with. But the mount is awful. It just kind of has to be stuck on the tube. The same goes for the Telrad so far as I can see.
Also the view through the finder is from directly behind, i.e. just looking along the length of the tube from the bottom. This is very difficult/annoying if you have a big scope on a dobsonian mount (we have something like this: https://www.wexphotovideo.com/sky-w...dthumb-carousel)

Any recommendations for a finder with a mirror (eye piece on the side of the finder like the telescope eyepiece is) - and that will fit a standard shoe mount of this type:

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Anyone got any recommendations for good filters for viewing deep sky objects? My knowledge is limited and this is for a gift for a family member who uses a Sky watcher 200 scope. We are in a relatively low light rural UK village, though there are some (not many) street lights nearby. Would love to e.g. be able to see any detail on Andromeda at all. I hear there are some kinds of filters that might help?

Also - any recommendations for a finder scope with a right angle viewer that has a shoe that can fit onto the standard shoe mount on the Skywatcher? We use a Rigel Quikfinder at the moment which does ok (though we have to stick it on with two sided tape which is annoying) but I was wondering about getting a kind of intermediate finder scope with some magnification as well, for use alongside the Rigel. In particular to help locate deep sky objects. And having one with a right angle fitted eyepiece so we don't have to squat down next to the score and try to look up the length of the scope, like we do with the Rigel, would be awesome.

Thanks all and sorry if either question is dumb!

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Awesome, thanks that's super helpful.

Found a shop not too far off that does the 50mm APM. Would have liked one of the larger ones but hopefully this will do a decent job for now. Have also picked up the reticule eyepiece as well to make sure we have one that works properly with it given the guy in the shop said it has a short range of focus so there are plenty of eyepieces that won't work.