Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Someone is selling a DS-2000 (claimed as new and too complex for him and his children to use) for $75? Worth an impulse buy? I'd love to take nice quality photos, is that scope capable of that? Searching has turned up no reviews nor mentions here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Total newb who has no idea which way to go.

I'm loving the Seestar stuff I'm seeing, I want things to be simple and as automated as possible and obviously the price point is great. On the other hand, it's worthless for planets, and I remember back to experiences as a kid at a relative's house being able to look through a live lens on his huge scope and seeing Saturn and Jupiter and how magical that was and would be for my kids now (and me!).

But then looking at say, the recently recommended Starsense Dobsonian, that looks wonderful but to be able to take pictures with it, if possible at all, will be a hell of an extra expense on top of the scope itself. I think I'm leaning to the Seestar as the price of entry is low and if the hobby doesn't turn out to interest me as much as I think it would, the loss won't be too heavy, whereas getting the same capability (+planets) with the alternative would be a bigger headfirst dive.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Raikyn posted:

It's kinda two totally different things.
If you're into astrophotography and gadgets then probably the Seestar
If you want to share the experience a bit more then probably visual.

Looking at images on a screen doesn't captivate people as much as looking through a telescope and looking at craters on the moon or rings around Saturn.
I've got decent astrophotoraphy gear, but others are far more amazed looking through my cheap lovely reflector at Saturn.

The Seestar is pretty cool though. Being able to go outside, pop it on the ground and start seeing nebula or galaxies within about 5min is pretty awesome.

That all probably doesn't help though sorry :)

No, that's on me, I'm obviously torn and you nailed what my issues are. My son and I were watching one of the many Seestar videos on Youtube and marveling at the stuff they were getting, but when they pointed out that you couldn't get planets, that was really deflating. On the other hand, getting that and the photo capability is going to cost way more money.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

They added a new planetary mode to the Seestar. Obviously not close to what you get with a decent standard scope, but there are actual details as opposed to the completely blown out white blob it was getting before.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I know some hardcore hobbyists are looking down on the new smart-scopes, and I won't bore you all with yet another Orion pic, but I had my first chance to use my Seestar S50 and got a nice shot with just a few minutes of exposures and no post-processing despite a Bortle 7 sky. Mission accomplished, "toy" scope, I'm hooked. My wife will probably look back on this night sometime in the future as the beginning of a horrible drain on our bank account. I don't think I'll be the only one for whom this little black box will be a gateway drug.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Liquid Chicken posted:

Yep, go ahead and post your Orion. Post yours and I'll post mine (also Seestar).

Ok, here it is. Again, no post and Bortle 7 with less than ten minutes of exposures. I'm pretty damned happy.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Liquid Chicken posted:

Very nice. I'm around Bortle 4 and 17 minutes on it. It really doesn't take much time to get a good shot of M42.

That's beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

We were supposed to be 60-80% cloud covered in my suburb south of Cleveland and instead got a virtually perfect sky. I got over 1800 images With my Seestar in my time lapse, but I'll share these last two shots. So happy with this little scope.

T1g4h posted:

I know this isn't super amazing so please forgive me. My 70mm refractor was just slightly out of focus because of how utterly nervous I was about missing it :shobon:

That is gorgeous!