Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i bought a telescope and let me tell you, i'm really glad svbony exists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

celestron starsense explorer dx 130az

the finderscope is so out of alignment that it's impossible to align, but they're sending me another one. i hope it works better!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

agreed with yooper. i can't imagine being the kind of weirdo that'd give someone poo poo for buying a telescope that's, what, not hardcore enough? and if they did, man, that says a lot more about them than about me.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

where is the baader sale that was mentioned? i found a couple places that seemed like it might have been the intended shop, but it wasn't obvious to me

e: oh a site linked previously has the sale - agenaastro.com

i think im gonna order one or two and see how they compare to SVBONY

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 1, 2023

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i have a t mount for my camera and telescope but i cant figure out how to actually get the focus and stuff right. i also remember being afraidi was gonna break things with how far the eyepiece was going into the camera. any guides for idiots out there?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah it's a newtonian - celestron starsense explorer 130az. this is the t-ring adapter i have: https://a.co/d/9SIHsXZ

i'll look into those masks, thank you! i was just kind of jamming eyepieces in there to try to get something; without an eyepiece at all i could only get pictures of the mirror (lol)

thanks!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Raikyn posted:

You shouldn't be using the eyepiece at all, with mine I just take the piece that holds the eyepiece off, then screw the adapter straight to that. Depending on the scope you may or may not need extenders

hmm, that's what i tried the first time and I wasn't able to get a picture of anything other than mirror itself. maybe i need to futz around with extenders and such more

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

thanks so much to the both of you!

that thread gave me a thing to try (skipping the 1.25" adapter), some links for cameras/scopes that might make photography possible with either my existing scope or camera depending, and i feel less stupid about my previous failures.

i got a pile of filters and some vibration suppression pads for christmas, and ordered a couple Baadar lenses yesterdays so i have a lot of playing to do when it clears up

thanks again!

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 2, 2023

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I got my hyperion eyepieces today and they seem great - I can't wait until it clears up enough to test them out, along with my filters and vibration pads from Christmas

I can't figure out how to connect the 1.25" filters to the Hyperion eyepieces. The manual says that it connects on the 1.25" barrel, and I see the threads where you take the 1.25" adapter off the 2" eyepiece, but I can't get them to accept the filters. The filters are SVBONY brand. The filters fit just fine into the Celestron eyepieces that came with my telescope. Any tips?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Liquid Chicken posted:

Which Hyperions do you have? Is this the 31mm or 36mm?

I have the 8mm, 13mm, 17mm and 21mm. I use mostly 2" filter in the 2" to 1.25" adapter, but I tried a few 1.25" filters. Filters from Astromania, Baader and Celestron work just fine without issues. Check the threads on both the eyepiece and filters to see if they are machined right.

17mm and 5mm. I've only tried the 17mm though. Thanks for trying! I wonder if maybe the threads on the filter aren't long enough or something, since they work in the Celestron eyepieces

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Liquid Chicken posted:

It's possible that the threads on the filters are too short. SvBony's service is good and they are economical, but their history of quality control isn't the greatest. Baader quality is very precise and might not be so tolerant.

Which SvBony filters did you get?

This set plus a UHC filter

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i use a tote bag from the san diego wild animal park

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

same. im in the suburbs, there's a good amount of light pollution, and i saw a little smear when i pointed the telescope at where the comet was supposed to be. underwhelming, but not unexpected.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

how would that 80mm refractor compare to my starsense explorer 130mm newtonian? i gather that it'd let me do prime photography where i wouldn't need an eyepiece, is that correct? even if so, though, i'm skeptical it'd let me get pictures worth looking at

mostly i'm disappointed that i am having so much trouble figuring out how to hook my camera to my newt and have things generally work. the next step would probably just be buying all the pieces from baader but when then i can't tell if it'd work. i really wasn't expecting "oh that telescope can't do prime photos"

i don't mind spending money on something to make it work - the big problem I have is that i can't figure out what would definitely work

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jewmanji posted:

Hi there. I have a two-part question: is there any utility to using a laser collimator instead of a simple collimation eyepiece if you have a standard beginner's reflector? Secondly, I can't imagine there's any quality variation in different collimation eyepieces, they're all the same right?

well lasers are cool, it seems you forgot about that (i dont actually know the answer, but i like to post). svbony lasers are cheap and mine came collimated which was nice. ive never actually used it, except to test its collimation

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ham radio is the same way- people on the internet fall all over themselves to tell you to go to a meeting or whatever like it's some holy grail of advice and equipment. maybe it was when they got started 50 years ago, but that sort of community doesn't seem to be so common these days.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

are there any fairly comprehensive guides on how to do astrophotography?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

xzzy posted:

depends, how many tables of camera specs do you consider comprehensive?

Because this guy maintains a truly absurd amount of data here: https://clarkvision.com/

zero! i just want a "this is what you need, this is how you put things together, and this is how you do the software thing to make the pretty pictures" guide. for all the reading i did before buying my telescope and a dslr, i didn't find anything saying "oh by the way, you 100% absolutely can't do prime photography with this telescope." and it kind of stings that there's eighty million reviews out there, but nothing thought to mention that i wouldn't be able to take pictures through the danged thing without eyepiece projection, you know? i still have no idea what i should've bought, and it's still not at all clear to me what the best I can do is, whether I could buy an aftermarket equatorial mount if I wanted to, and in general what the space of options is unless I just want to waste $100 at a time on "oh, that didn't work" over and over

all that said, the site you linked seems like exactly what I need. I'm looking at his first couple of beginner articles and I think they'll be precisely what I was after. Thank you!

e: oh, I have a real question! There's a street light across from my house. Without it, it'd be pretty dark but with it, it's not so great. Is there some way I can figure out what the wavelength is and then get a filter for my camera (or telescope, or whatever) that would eliminate that light? I know I could buy a filter, but I've absolutely no idea which filter I should buy

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 3, 2023

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i think it's sodium or magnesium - it's more of a yellow deal. i'll try to remember to take a picture of it tonight

thanks for the link - I'll give it a watch!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i would have expected telescopes to have been a business that did well in the pandemic, what with there being a ton of nerds with extra money. the pandemic was hard on a lot of businesses, but suppliers of nerdy hobby accessories tended to do pretty well

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

that's a picture of space, phanatic

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

hey that reminded me to order a solar filter for my telescope. celestron is making them again; $30 with free shipping :getin:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i like starsense. i have Sky Safari Pro, but it occasionally begs for a subscription which annoys me, since I already paid like $20 or something for it. in general i use starsense over Sky Safari anyway

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 11, 2023

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

when i tested out my solar filter a month or so ago, i just put a piece of kleenex over the spotting scope and used that. it was annoying but it worked. it'll be funny if i can't repeat the success on the day of though

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

y'all are making me wanna sell my starsense newt for a dob

lol who am i kidding, "sell" means "put in a travel bag for camping with my son"

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

mind detailing how you do it? i have no idea about how to do astrophotography stuff and i've never found a decent guide. and my flailing around hasn't really helped much

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

that is perfect and amazing, thank you!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

what i crave is:

1. set up intervalometer etc
2. take pictures
3. import, hit button
4. get space pic

the more i fiddle with it, the more it feels like i'm drawing instead of photographing

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i took a couple dozen shots last night and naively shoved them through astropixelprocessor. i might do it again tonight! my pixinsight trial came so it might be fun to run through both. conditions weren't good last night and won't be tonight, though.

fwiw the picture i got last night was _not good_. but it at least showed that im on some kinda right path

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

dark frames: taken at your actual exposure time and settings (including temperature) with the lens cap on

bias frames: taken at your fastest shutter speed with the lens cap on. other settings, temp, etc are the same as the image frames. you can reuse these (but not forever)

flat frames: massive pain in the butt. taken with flat illumination, so you need to bring a light to the shoot. must be taken in the exact same location and without bumping or moving the equipment, so that dust isn't disturbed. if you have a CMOS sensor, you take flat darks instead. you can reuse these (but not forever)

flat dark frames: do all the stuff for flat frames (no bumping etc) except you don't need the light and can leave the lens cap on.

am i missing anything? can non-cmos sensors use flat darks instead of flats since they're such a less of a pain in the neck to take?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i dont know anything about astrophotography, but the impression i get is that dicking with images sucks, doing nothing sucks (half the products exist so you can go back inside and not even _be there_), and that it's only the end result that's awesome. being outside looking through a telescope is great fun, but i don't really see a lot of "enjoyable activity" from the astrophotography side. i guess there's some fun to be had with a tripod and a tracker, but as soon as you start stacking, things start being pretty toilsome

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i dont know anything about the power seeker specifically, but seeing the last eclipse through my telescope was cool. if you're driving, i'd probably bring the telescope. if you're flying, probably not. unless it's super small and easily fits in a checked bag i guess, but even then i'd expect it to get all messed up from handling and the hassle not to be worth it

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i doubt there's too many eclipse glasses that will blind people on the market. the no-name chinese version from amazon was fine last year, it was fine in 2017, and i see no reason that it wouldn't be fine today.

it's hard to even know what you mean by 'conterfeit eclipse glasses.' they are not generally brand-name items, and i can't really see places biting on baader/celestron/whoever's name. they're pretty easy to make, too, so it's not like there are a ton of corners to be cut in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i only had about 50% coverage at peak, but as i was looking at it through my telescope, a passenger plane crossed the sun's disk

so that was probably the rarest event i'll ever see in my life. i just happened to be looking down at the time instead of playing with my phone's camera or something. very cool to have seen something like that.