Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP
Any of you folks use binoviewers? I'm more into visual viewing and use an Orion xx16g Dobsonian. I was thinking about adding the Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer or one of its cheaper clones since they are suppose to work nicely with newtonians without needing additional backfocus and extenders. I'm hoping this is correct.

Also I do have a number of 1.25" eyepieces and would just need to get a few dups of what I already have. I was thinking of getting dups of the Baader Morpheus 9mm & 17.5mm. Prices just increased on them in the U.S. to $299, but probably should be able to get them cheaper from Teleskop-Express in Germany. I would also like to get some in a lower power. The ES 24mm 68 degree eyepieces would probably be ideal, but they really increased in price this year unless I snag a pair off of AliExpress. I've ordered from a few astro vendors there before - no issues, but supply is drying up quick. Other option is get a dup of the Celestron Ultima Edge 24mm flat field. It's pretty much the same as the APM 24mm UFF or the one from SvBony. Any other good options?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

Someone on one of the astro Facebook groups bought one of these used dobs from B&H. It didn't come with the tension handles. Sky-Watcher nor any vendor sells the handles as spare parts. Buyer got a partial refund.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

Enos Cabell posted:

Holy hell, I finally managed to snag one!

:hellyeah:

e: now to research eye pieces...

e2: added a celestron 8-24mm zoom, celestron x-cel 2x barlow, and a t-ring and slr adapter for my nikon d7000. Should be ready to do some lunar and planetary astrophotography now

Something like the ZWO ASI224MC would work well with the dob. If you're having issues getting the dslr reaching prime focus use that barlow. Otherwise like someone else said you would have to get a low profile focuser or move the mirror (latter not recommended).

Today on FB.....

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

pumped up for school posted:

Do you guys think that $400 350 for a 10" classic dob w/ some issues is too much? "Local" CL

https://reno.craigslist.org/spo/d/dayton-orion-xt10-classic-dobsonian/7486706284.html

I'd have to have them meet me somewhere. Figure for a 10" I'd have to drive my truck which gets ~12 mpg. That's like $60 in gas.
e: saw this on Cloudy Nights for $350 so I am going to contact him at that price.

If the mirror defect truly doesn't affect the view that should be fine. Ask the seller how well the focuser works. A stripped screw technically can be fixed by some at a machine shop or yourself if you have the skills.

I paid $500 for a barely used 10" Classic Sky-Watcher dob which then jacked up over $900 for a new one. I guess for you it depends on how often used dobs pop up in your area. The future of new Orion XT dobs is questionable at this point due to supplier issues and the Orion/Synta relationship.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

Star Man posted:

Now that I'm in an amateur astronomy group, I'm leaning pretty hard on having my own telescope.

I seem to recall that around $300 to $400 is a good starting point on getting a refractor telescope. I can probably get something used that's pretty good for that amount of money if I can find it, but is a 4-inch refractor telescope at that price point a decent buy-in if I got it new?

You can check out a scope like the Celestron 102 AZ Refractor. Does anyone in your group have refractors of the size you're looking at? At this price point pay a lot of attention to the mount as too many of them are just cheaply made plastic that's doomed to frustrate or fail. These cheap equatorial mounts are really not recommended for beginners.

The best bang for your buck especially for visual astronomy would be a dobsonian. They are a bit bulky and weight could be an issue if you're not able, but you can get used a 6" or 8" scope for your budget. I've even seen a few online ads here and there for a 10" dob for $400 or less. There's also tabletop dobs as well with greater aperture and ease of use if a fullsize dob is too daunting. You'll be able to see so much more with that than a 4" refractor and a whole lot easier to use.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

Yooper posted:

I have a Celestron 102AZ refractor, upgraded the diagonal, focuser, eye pieces, and eventually bought an 8" Dobsonian and use that now. The only downside is the portability.

The 102AZ mount is really flimsy. The wobbliness and float makes it challenging to see detail. I was going to upgrade the mount, but I realized for a bit more money I could just get a used Dob.

Yea, that's what I was getting at. It seems many of the cheaper refractor telescopes just have really cheap mounts and are a headache.

As for the dobsonians there's ways to ease portability. The newer truss and collapsible tub designs break down pretty easy to transport in pieces and can fit in most standard cars if needed. I've seen a variety of cart and wheelbarrow designs from commercial options to DIY to get them around. Some folks just use padded hand trucks. I have a manual 10" Sky-Watcher classic dob that I can still carry whole the yard. Then there's the Orion xx16g and it's 220+ lbs. I made a cart for that beast, but on a cart it's pretty easy. For family trips I use a Celestron 8SE that breaks down and fits into a case. I got that used at a steal for $600 via Facebook Marketplace. The used market is definitely a nice option

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

Star Man posted:

I'm leaning pretty hard on a refracting telescope because it seems like there's little to no prep for getting it out and using it. I also rent a one bedroom apartment, so storage for a bigass dobsonian telescope is an issue.

A Celestron 102AZ (or similar) was what I was looking into buying if I get something new, and I figured a better mount was going to be the first thing I'd need to upgrade. When they come off backorder or I find one from a different retailer, I'm just going to have to baby it until I can upgrade. Fortunately the park I have access to as an AAAP member is nice and flat. Too bad the glow from Pittsburgh's light pollution is visible over the hills on the south of it.

Refractors are probably much more city / small apartment friendly especially if you have to deal with any stairs. I wouldn't deal with a dob if I had to navigate stairs.

For your urban situation and less than ideal seeing conditions and all, the 102AZ will be fine for the moon, larger planets and certain larger and brighter DSOs. One can look at the Orion Nebula just with average binoculars. Actually just thinking about it, have you thought about astronomy binoculars as well? They are well within your price range and can accomplish much the same as what you're looking at already. I have a pair of 20x80's from Oberwerk (company in Ohio) on a sturdy tripod. Easy to transport. Binos are great for wide-field viewing - downside, can't change the magnification (there's zoom binos, but they are largely advised against).

If you're going to stick with the refractor, budget in some for a couple of better eyepieces. The ones that come with it really suck. Celestron X-Cel LX eyepiece would be good upgrades. Hell, even SvBony Redline eyepieces would too. Both can be had from our friend AliExpress for less.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

PerniciousKnid posted:

I store my dob in the basement, what a pain in the rear end.

That would be a pain in the rear end unless you have a walk out basement with a large sliding glass door.

I roll out the front or back of the garage.

Best I could do with my 6th grade wood shop skills.

I'm modified the cart a bit since then. Replaced the wing nuts with star knobs. Added some rubber foot bumpers to prevent the scope from sliding around in the cart. Also added an 80mm RACI and green laser pointer (latter replaced with a better quality William Optics style red dot finder when it's too cold).

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

Base Emitter posted:

Cool, thanks. I know a couple reviews I've seen described a telescope as good for newbies after mentioning an f-ratio, but didn't explain why.

You'll also hear that long focal length telescopes are called "slow" like the Celestron SE SCT telescopes and short focal lengths called "fast" like the larger dobsonians. It's true the faster the scope the greater the need for well corrected, more expensive eyepieces like those sold by Baader, APM, Pentax, Explore Scientific and of course Tele Vue. One can easily spend more on one eyepiece than on their 8" dobsonian. However, one the flip side, the faster ratio dobsonians are far cheaper per inch of aperture compared to any other type of telescope. This is really helpful for the wallet if you're interesting in visual astronomy and want to see some of the dimmer objects with a large dobs greater light collecting abilities. Downside if of course the weight of the larger models and they go up in price quickly if you add options like goto (at this point only Sky-Watcher can offer this for commercial models as Orion might not have goto dobs any day soon in the near future).

AstroZamboni mentioned coma as one of the visual aberrations that can afflict viewing in faster ratio telescopes. It mainly affected the out viewing area when you're using the eyepiece and tends to be worse with eyepieces that have wider apparent fields of view (AFOV). Well corrected eyepieces from the brands mentioned above can help, but also the use of a coma corrector can eliminate most if not all coma depending on the eyepiece used. Brands include the top of the line Tele Vue Parracorr II, but also budget friendly models from GSO and it's clones sold by Orion and Apertura.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

Achmed Jones posted:

i bought a telescope and let me tell you, i'm really glad svbony exists

Which telescope? I've only bought a few of SvBony's UFF eyepieces (same as the APM ones) and a few of their other odd and ends accessories. They have a solar finderscope that's cheap and easy to use.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP
Just a FYI if you didn't already know, but Baader has put their Hyperions and Zoom eyepieces on sale - 20% off. Good deal if you don't have Tele Vue money.

So far it seems only the European vendors have this sale - Firs Light Optics, Teleskop-Express, etc., but Don Pensack of Eyepieces, Etc. says the sale is coming to the U.S. around Black Friday.

Sale is suppose to be good to end of the year. Unfortunately, the Morpheus eyepieces are not part of the sale for those of us with the fast ratio scopes. Still tempting for my 8SE.

edit: Just saw the email from Agena Astro - they have the sale now too. $119 for a Hyperion eyepiece is pretty decent if you focal ratio isn't too fast.

Liquid Chicken fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 11, 2022

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

PerniciousKnid posted:

If my 8" dob came with kellners, how worthwhile is it to replace my 25mm with roughly the same focal length? I know I could get a better FoV (especially going to 2") but is there any other material benefit (like contrast)? I'm debating if I should rush to upgrade before I go camping and look for nebulae etc. So far I've just been concerned with showing my kids the planets, which they're familiar with from school/Magic School Bus.

There can be better material benefits like better contrast, differences in eye relief, less visual aberrations like EFOB or SAEP (edge of field brightening / spherical aberration of the exit pupil (kidney beaning)). Some have better correction against coma and off-axis astigmatism at the wider AFOVs which is more important in faster ratio telescopes.

Also if you're looking for nebulas and you haven't yet - invest in a decent UHC filter. The Orion Ultrablock filter is decent one for a budget price. The Lumicon Gen 3 UHC is the one of the best but pricey. I would suggest to go for a 2" model. Your 1.25" to 2" adapter is probably threaded for 2" filters already unless you have one of those unthreaded ones from Sky-Watcher.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

PerniciousKnid posted:

That's interesting. My SkyWatcher 200P has threads on the adapter but I don't know if they're in the right place for filters or whatever. Also there's a 2" cylinder, no idea what that's for.

Those aren't threads, but just baffles to prevent light scatter or something. I have the 250p Classic from Sky-Watcher and was confused about the "threads", but after an email exchange with Sky-Watcher I confirmed that they aren't really threads.
I've seen replaced that 1.25" to 2" adapter with one from Far Point which is unique in that it accepts 1.25" and 2" filters, but also has a stop inside it to prevent the eyepiece barrel from hitting the filter.

That 2" cylinder is your 2" eyepiece adapter.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

PerniciousKnid posted:

I think I see what you mean but also the 1.25 adapter consists of two components that screw together (1.25 cylinder screwing into a 2" washer of sorts), which I thought might be relevant to filters.

The one part that can be removed from the 1.25" to 2" adapter is a T-ring adapter to be used for cameras.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

Luna posted:

My wife has a couple of bigger telescopes but I am looking for a small one for her that she can grab on a whim and setup quickly. Any recommendations?

Just for visual? Maybe one of the tabletop dobsonians.

I also noticed at Wal-mart the other day that they had the Celestron 70mm AZ LT refractors for $78. Might be fun for shits and giggles. The accessories probably suck, but easily swapped out if you already have better ones.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Does anyone sketch their observations? It feels like the thread is dominated by the photographers, I'd like to see what everyone else is seeing.

I'm 99% visual with only occasional snaps of the moon on special occasions. However, my hands suck at drawing. Like someone else said - check out the sketching sub-forum on Cloudy Nights.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

Luceo posted:

On this note, I could use a suggestion for a telescope for my 10-year-old cousin's Christmas gift. She's marveled at Jupiter and Saturn through my 8" Dob, but that's a bit much, though I'd still like her to have something better than the Jason Jr. I had as a kid. Maybe something with app connectivity, too. Anyone have recent experience with telescopes for kiddos?

Tabletop dobs. They have manual and motorized versions these days. From the little Celestron Funscopes up to Sky-Watcher goto tabletop dobs. Orion and Zhumell has them too.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP
I think I found an astro photo we all need....

https://www.icanvas.com/canvas-print/space-junkie-nid293?fbclid=IwAR1WQALH8c0sIC-o2UEhsXxnTOia_kMDY4kscq1FBwHL4wW-XyvAP7hZqKU#1PC6-40x26

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

Ok Comboomer posted:

Posted this in the other astronomy thread and was sent here.

Currently thinking more toward the 8” than the 10, largely because the 10” does seem that much more unweildy, but primarily due to cost.

It’s an almost 40% jump from $800 to $1100, and I think by the point I’m spending $1k+ on a big scope I probably want it to not have a big honking smartphone caddy sticking out of it (or maybe I do? Ed Ting says that people are buying the cheaper StarSense newtonians/refractors to harvest their caddies + software keys to put on their own bigger scopes)

But I welcome any criticism and advice, if anybody thinks I should go with a cheaper scope minus the StarSense feature or if the 10”/something similar might be a better long term investment/more versatile.

I know all of Jack and poo poo, but I’ve been vicariously watching the hobby astronomy and astrophotography spaces for years. Thinking 2023 might be the year I finally pull the trigger on some worthwhile beginner glass.

One thing to consider - there's a difference between the 8" and the 10" when it comes to the primary collimation screws. I don't know why Celestron did this, but you have to use a hex wrench and a Philips screwdriver to adjust the primary mirror. The 10" has thumbscrews which are soooooo much better. Bob's Knob's sells replacement thumbscrews for the primary collimation - $27, but worth it.

IMO, if you an swing the weight and budget go for the 10". Not only because of better screws, but mo' mirror = mo' photons for your eye. You get the 8" and you'll be wondering about the 10" to no end. Cry once and enjoy.

Take a look at pages 15 & 16 about the screws. Why Celestron made the 8" more difficult - who knows? https://celestron-site-support-files.s3.us-east-1.amazonaws.com/support_files/22470-22471%20SSE%20Dob%20Instruction%20Manual_5Languages.pdf

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

Ok Comboomer posted:

Supposedly there’s a technical reason for why you need the dock for the navigation and you can’t just use an eyepiece adaptor. FWIW you can’t really do phone photography from the dock, and you would need an eyepiece adaptor (and possibly a second phone) for that.

Your smart phone needs to be in the dock as the dock has a piece that direct light to you phone's camera. The app then uses that image to plate solve and know where the telescope is pointing. Technically, this is a "push to" system and not a "goto". The latter refers to those mounts with the computerized motorized systems that after an alignment will automatically goto a location after you pick one. The motors do all the work. The Celestron SE telescopes are well known popular examples. These two Celestron StarSense dobsonians are push-to types like Orion's Intelliscope dobsonians. The only two commercial brands of true goto dobsonians I know of are from Sky-Watcher and Orion. Orion has had major supplier issues and other problems (they are suing Celestron...again) thus really only Sky-Watcher has true goto dobs right now.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

PerniciousKnid posted:

That's interesting. Is there a technical reason an app can't do that with a normal eyepiece adaptor?

Ya need the eyepiece for a' peeping. Actually, maybe it could but I don't know if anyone has tried to engineer a way yet.

Ok Comboomer posted:

There appears to be a stand-alone StarSense system that utilizes its own camera module and a hand controller, apparently there’s a version specifically for SkyWatcher GoTo dobs. It’s $650.

So I guess the question becomes “is $1100/$800 a good price for this scope? Are you paying for a fancy software system and getting the scope for cheap, or are you buying a decent scope and getting the software system for cheap/free?”

My bad. I was treating both terms interchangeably, but after doing a bunch more research I now realize that the distinction exists for a reason and that people in the hobby are nothing if not sticklers for accuracy.

There's the StarSense Camera system. It's definitely not cheap, but so drat easy to use. I have one for my 8SE and will be using it soon on an AVX mount that's sitting under the tree. I feel like I'm cheating somehow...some oldtimers don't like it, but meh to each their own. It does make alignment easier and quicker. I don't even have to pick any alignment stars. The camera plate solves. Unfortunately, I wish Celestron took it a step further and also made it a guide scope. It's so close with the tech - why not done?

Yes, the StarSense Camera is also for Sky-Watcher, but not just for their goto dobs, but almost any of their goto mounts that use the SyncScan type handcontrollers. However, you need an additional party sometimes called the interface or relay box. It's not sold separately. If you have the regular camera system for Celestron, but switch over to a Sky-Watcher mount you would have to fork out for a whole new camera system just to get that one additional part.

We definitely are some nitpicky curmudgeons at times, but it's good to distinguish between push-to and goto as the latter also tracks on its own. Once in awhile I'll run into some oldtimer who is way behind in tech knowledge and still thinks dobs can't track - not as well as a really good equatorial, but they sure can these days. Of course you can put dobs up to at least 20" or so on an equatorial platform and get an hour or so of tracking before needing to reset.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP
Most beginner telescopes are fine on the moon. I would just get one with a stable mount like a tabletop dobsonian. Those little skinny tripods on cheap scopes are flimsy and provide shaky views. Also a simple 1.25" moon filter will be helpful to screw on to the bottom of the eyepiece.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

seravid posted:

I didn't know tabletop telescopes were a thing! That's exactly what I'm looking for. Any recommendations, considering I'm in Europe? I can find the Celestron Firstscope for roughly 100€.

Look at Teleskop-Express in Germany. There's a few models made by Sky-Watcher.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

El Grillo posted:

Looking for some advice on upgrading to a better finder scope. We use a Rigel Quick Finder which is great, super open view and very simple. Really easy to find stuff with. But the mount is awful. It just kind of has to be stuck on the tube. The same goes for the Telrad so far as I can see.
Also the view through the finder is from directly behind, i.e. just looking along the length of the tube from the bottom. This is very difficult/annoying if you have a big scope on a dobsonian mount (we have something like this: https://www.wexphotovideo.com/sky-w...dthumb-carousel)

Any recommendations for a finder with a mirror (eye piece on the side of the finder like the telescope eyepiece is) - and that will fit a standard shoe mount of this type:

I have a couple of larger dobs - 10" and 16". I found that it's nice to use TWO "finders". One to point - Telrad, Rigel, red dot or green laser. Those help to point the scope to where I want to be. Then I use the other finder - a RACI to provide a magnified view and home in on the target. I wouldn't use a RACI by itself as it's hard to use it to point the scope alone. The combo works very well. If need your can get a dual mounting bracket for that dovetail mounting shoe and fit two devices for it. There's even brackets for three devices, but one might be too close to your focuser.

On my 10" dob I use a Telrad plus a 50mm APM RACI. On the 16" dob I use an 80mm APM RACI. Both have helical focuser and I can use a variety of 1.25" eyepiece of my choice including those with crosshairs. Other types of RACI finders have built in eyepieces. I like to have options and passed on those.

Just a side note, I forget which vendor has it, but I have see third party brackets for Telrads that allow them to be mounted on mounting shoes like your own. That way you don't have to stick a base to your tube and switch it from different scopes if you have more than one.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

duodenum posted:

Don't buy a cheap eyepiece kit. The first real eyepiece I bought was an XCel-LX and it made my telescope experience SO much better than the cheap things that came with the scope. That kit is full of things just like the cheap things that come stock with telescopes. XCel-LX eyepieces are $100 each, Starguiders are $60, you mostly get what you pay for at each price point. With a 5" SCT maybe I would probably get a 7mm XCel-LX for about 178x for planets and other high mag targets. Your stock 25mm plossl will help you center things and will let you observe low mag objects. Next I'd get something in between, and by then you'll have experience to know what you like and don't like about what you already have.

This is a great resource for Nexstar systems: https://www.nexstarsite.com

Agreed - avoid the shiny silver boxes of meh. The eyepieces have nonimpressive narrow views and the eye relief sucks. Even the stupid box will rust if exposed to moisture for prolonged periods.

X-Cel LX eyepieces are decent with 60 degree AFOV. You can get them cheaper from AliExpress vendors for under $70 each. https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255799937064540.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US

Today is also the last day of the Baader Hyperion sale - $119 each. They are good performers in scopes with focal ratios of f/6 or so and slower. The Astronomics website sells the Astro-Tech eyepieces which have a variety of types that are strong performers at varying AFOV.

Don Pensack can be found on the Cloudy Nights forums as Starman1 and he's the go-to eyepiece guru expert. Very nice guy to talk to over the phone as well when I placed an order for some gear.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

Ok Comboomer posted:

Apropos of nothing: I notice that I see way more Celestron SCTs out there than Meade. Is that because Celestrons just tend to be less expensive? Does it reflect some past market segmentation or brand difference where Celestron just happened to corner that particular market? A dealer/distributor thing?

Am I just seeing something that isn’t there because the orange tubes are so immediately recognizable?

Meade has had issues - bankruptcies, lawsuits, series of questionable and lovely products. Consumer confidence in them isn't solid like in the good ole days. Orion now owns them and trying to bring manufacturing back from China. We'll just have to wait to see what's in store for them in the future.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'm wondering about solar viewing/photography. I have an astromaster 130eq, looks like I might need a Herschel wedge?
I see solar filters are pretty readily available but I'm very hesitant to just buy something off Google and call it good - I value my eyesight. Wondered if anyone had any advice or knowledge to share?

You don't need a Herschel Wedge. Skip that.

For your scope you just something like a filter that securely fits over the front of your scope. Astrozap sells them and they use the recommend Baader Solar Film.

https://astrozap.com/collections/solar-filters/products/baader-solar-filter

Just measure the outside diameter of the front end of your scope and pick the one that fits in the range. They'll have three screws to fit tight on your scope for safely. Check the filter before each use so you don't laser out an eyeball.

As for expectations, you'll be able to see the sun's disk and varying sunspots that come and go. You will not see solar flares, kernelization, corona, filaments and the like. That takes either a specialized solar telescope with certain filters or adaptations to a scope like Quarks and other parks that are ungodly expensive. Better off just getting a solar scope from Lunt or Coronado if you want to go in that direction.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

Achmed Jones posted:

I got my hyperion eyepieces today and they seem great - I can't wait until it clears up enough to test them out, along with my filters and vibration pads from Christmas

I can't figure out how to connect the 1.25" filters to the Hyperion eyepieces. The manual says that it connects on the 1.25" barrel, and I see the threads where you take the 1.25" adapter off the 2" eyepiece, but I can't get them to accept the filters. The filters are SVBONY brand. The filters fit just fine into the Celestron eyepieces that came with my telescope. Any tips?

Which Hyperions do you have? Is this the 31mm or 36mm?

I have the 8mm, 13mm, 17mm and 21mm. I use mostly 2" filter in the 2" to 1.25" adapter, but I tried a few 1.25" filters. Filters from Astromania, Baader and Celestron work just fine without issues. Check the threads on both the eyepiece and filters to see if they are machined right.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

Achmed Jones posted:

17mm and 5mm. I've only tried the 17mm though. Thanks for trying! I wonder if maybe the threads on the filter aren't long enough or something, since they work in the Celestron eyepieces

It's possible that the threads on the filters are too short. SvBony's service is good and they are economical, but their history of quality control isn't the greatest. Baader quality is very precise and might not be so tolerant.

Which SvBony filters did you get?

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

Achmed Jones posted:

This set plus a UHC filter

Weird there's no #80A med. blue in that set. It's one of the better ones for viewing Jupiter.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

Jewmanji posted:

Thanks so much, took me a second to wrap my mind around this, but now it makes sense. Just to pay it forward, I found this to be a good resource and helped me go from raw numbers to choosing an actual product (some Tele Vue Plossls): https://telescopenights.com/best-te...ear%20by%20GSO.

Separately, does anyone have any good beginner's resources beyond the concatenation of websites that people have mentioned previously and in the OP? I'm trying to assemble a bit of a syllabus for myself to learn some fundamentals about visual astronomy, optics, the history of astronomy, the nature of certain celestial bodies, celestial motion etc. Is there a general-purpose textbook(s) for people getting into the hobby? Paging between an endless regress of websites and youtube videos works somewhat well but certainly doesn't seem very efficient, and you have to put some faith in the sources you're using, which are sometimes unclear or contradictory. I'm not sure if joining a local club is practical for me at the moment, so it's going to be a matter of self-teaching for a while.

One of the best and comprehensive information about eyepiece optics can be found here and this is only part I. the links for the other parts is at the bottom:

https://www.handprint.com/ASTRO/ae1.html?fbclid=IwAR05kK1R87DGjhlIQ8MSIpwvKHhH5t2Hws97HN-AxXu26f7hsqil8M7JSVg

The main website: https://www.handprint.com/ASTRO/

As for printed books, "Turn Left at Orion" and "Nightwatch" are the two most commonly suggested for new folks. The former includes star maps. I only have that one. I've read a few other not worth mentioning as they either out of date and/or they have a really strong bias towards one type of telescope or type of astronomy. You'll find out quick that there's many paths to the same goal along with many facets to the hobby. As a result there's really no one book that covers it all.

The Internet is really the largest depository of information and more up to date when it comes to the tech. Forums like Cloudy Nights usually can answer most questions with preexisting threads or just drop a question there and you'll get you answer soon enough. Starman1 (Don Pensack), Jon Issacs, Ernst (Russian dude) and a few other are the eyepiece experts.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

xzzy posted:

Anyone got any comet experience to talk about? There's that new one, C2022 E3, that is passing by for the next few weeks. I understand there's still a lot of unknowns about it so I'm curious about generalities. It will be at its brightest (maybe not to us on earth) when closest to the sun correct? So how does one estimate observing quality as it nears earth?

Basically I'm trying to get an idea for the best nights to go try and capture a shot between now and the first week of February since I don't have the luxury of getting to dark skies every night (3-4 hours from bortle 2).

I've missed previous close comets and hoping tomorrow I'll be able to get a possible glimpse in the big ole dob.

I've been able to track it with https://theskylive.com/ The SkyLive website.

Far Point Astro has had a 50% off everything moving sale this month. Before the end of the week I should have a Lumicon Comet filter in my hands to see what difference that makes for viewing.

From one of the astro FB groups:

"C/2022 E3 (ZTF) is a long-period comet that was discovered by the Zwicky Transient Facility on 2 March 2022. The comet reached its perihelion on January 12, 2023, at a distance of 1.11 AU (166 million km) and the closest approach to Earth will be on February 1, 2023, at a distance of 0.28 AU (42 million km). The comet is expected to get brighter than magnitude 6 and thus become visible to the naked eye."

That last part..we'll see...maybe...probably be cloudy. Nobody buy any astro poo poo that day.

Liquid Chicken fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 15, 2023

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

Jewmanji posted:

Thanks! Was a bit confused when I opened the link and saw some handguns but I get it now lol.

Well, you never know when ye olde Reflectors vs. Refractors feud might resume at a star party.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP
I was able to finally see the comet last night. I first tried with a 16" dobsonian, but it was too high in the sky. Hello Dobson's Hole and dammit I couldn't find my step stool in the garage. drat moon didn't help a bit and very few guide stars seen. I went back inside.

I came out later with a pair of 20x80 binoculars. I couldn't use them with the tripod and aim that high, but holding them I was able to see the comet. No visible tail. Just a "dirty snowball" like object - "grey fuzzy" like looking at a DSO.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

Internet Explorer posted:

This loving hobby never ends. :cheeky:

Nope! It also doesn't help when there's so many nights are crappy and you're jonesing for some observation/astrophotography time. You're denied so you get gear hungry instead.

BTW...Explore Scientific eyepieces just went on sale....just saying....

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

Jewmanji posted:

I was thinking of joining an astronomy club to boot strap myself into competence (this one in particular https://www.aldrich.club/, in central Mass). It's a bit far for me, but I'm hoping it'll be a productive way to learn. Does anyone have any positive/negative experiences with clubs that aren't super specific to their situation?

I've been to two of the star parties of the Albany, NY astronomy club over in Grafton, NY since it's close by for me. I do hear a lot from Cloudy Nights and the Facebook Groups that "you need to go to your local astronomy club...you should go before you buy anything,,,try before you buy!...blah blah blah". Anywhoo, I'm not a member of this club and personally don't know anyone who is. The star parties are open to the public.

The first one I went to was last September and there was just one actual member from the club with an old 12" Coulter dob. Everyone else wasn't a member and there were only a few people out of 15 or so with a scope. One guy off away from the group with some 6" Newtonian on an equatorial platform, a couple who just got a 6" dob and absolutely clueless how to use it, a guy and his kid with a nice AVX mount with an 8" SCT, but he couldn't get it align the whole time.

I brought an 8SE with me as it was the easiest to transport and set up. The one club member and I basically did show and tell for a couple of hours and it went well.

The second star party was last October and there was a different club member with some old rear end 6" Newt. and just me again with the 8SE. No other people with scopes. Same amount of people however and it was again show and tell. I'm not really a teacher, but I did my best and this was the first time for most folks of ever looking through a scope and they seem to like it.

So in summary...it wasn't like what I've read about like the big Texas or big dark site star parties where you get to see lots of cool scopes and look through all sorts of eyepieces and what not. It was really just public outreach at a really low level and if you show up with a scope and know how to use it - you're the teacher. YMMV.

The other kinda close club to me is the Southern Vermont one, but from their website as far as I can tell they don't do star parties, public outreach or anything of that nature...just academics giving talks on poo poo you probably can't even see with a scope. I might try the Mid-Hudson club...hopefully there's more involvement and hands on astronomy.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

Jewmanji posted:

Thanks again for the advice. I bought the star diagonal and eyepiece at your recommendation. Unfortunately the Star diagonal is too big for my 6” SCT, it interferes with the focuser and the mount. Dang it :(

On your 6SE you would have better served with the focal reducer rather than a 2" diagonal. The baffle opening in the 6SE is only 27mm. The maximum field stop in a 1.25" eyepiece is 27mm. The reason why 2" eyepieces exist is in order to have wider AFOV at mid to low powers you need a field stop greater than 27mm. A 2" eyepiece with a field stop greater than 27mm is just going to produce vignetting and you won't get the full field of view. It might not be too noticeable if an eyepiece's field stop is just a little more than 27mm, but if you were to use a wide field low power eyepiece with a 46mm field stop you'll notice. You're going to be missing a good chunk of your outer viewing area. On SCTs a 2" diagonal is really only worthwhile on the 8" sizes and greater. Even on the 8SE the baffle opening is only 37 or 38mm.

As for a 1.25" eyepiece with the widest view and greatest magnification w/o a focal reducer would be either the Explore Scientific 24mm 68 AFOV or the Tele Vue 24mm Panoptic. The former is on sale right now.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

Jewmanji posted:

Thanks. I already have a 32mm Tele Vue with a 50 AFOV which yields a 1.28 TFOV versus the above, which would yield 1.30, so that's not a difference worth investing in.

I'm getting a bit of conflicting advice as to whether I should a focal reducer or the 2" diagonal, but perhaps AstroZamboni's advice was independent of my particular stats (also I misspoke earlier, my Celestron 5SE has a 5" aperture, not 6" the OTA itself is 6"

The 32mm plossl vs a 24mm 68 AFOV is more dependent on which magnification / exit pupil you want. The 32mm will give you a larger exit pupil, but the 24mm has greater magnification. Depends on what trade off you want.

So if you have a 5SE your baffle opening size is only 25mm. A 41mm Panoptic's field stop is 46mm. You can see the problem.

You're better off with the focal reducer. 2" diagonal isn't going to do much for you.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP
So OPT Telescopes is pretty much out of business and their inventory is going up for auction on June 6th.

https://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/auction-catalogues/tiger-asset-intelligent/catalogue-id-bscti10071

I know the last few year business has been hard on them like many other due to the pandemic and their service was spotty at times too.

Actually I'm sadder to learn that Don Pensack of EyepiecesEtc. is retiring at the end of this year. He's the guru of eyepieces and easy to talk to if you want to know anything about eyepieces. Hopefully, he'll stay on Cloudy Nights Forums.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

Base Emitter posted:

I wonder how much of the problem is with the supply chain disruptions rather than customer demand.

Bingo!

I remember seeing a lot of posts on Cloudy Nights and Facebook astronomy groups where OPT couldn't fulfill orders despite allowing people to make place orders. Agena Astro and Orion were much smarter by disallowing orders on items that we out with no real sight of return.

There was a lot of demand during the pandemic. Combine that with the supply disruptions and you'll have the perfect storm. Some vendors like Orion still haven't fully recovered, but there's also fuckery by Celestron / Synta causing Orion issues too.

edit: There's also a sweet foosball table in the auction too. Or there's a box of 24 Celestron counterweights.

Liquid Chicken fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

PerniciousKnid posted:

Nobody knows the names of the plants in their yard either. It's sad.

I must be a freak as I do. This year my gardens have been invaded by Greater Celandine. Lobed leaves and yellow flowers. I made the mistake of puling that poo poo by hand. The sap has a yellowish stain that really glows a strong yellow under UV light. Even after multiple hand washings and showers my one had still glows yellow.

Anywhoo to sorta stay on topic. Harbor freight is having a Memorial day sale right now and you can print 25% off one item coupons from their website. Today I drove by two of those stores and snagged two of the 4800 Apache cases. I have more eyepieces that need a home aside from being scattered about the house in their original boxes.

Also recently someone on Facebook asked if they can use their binoculars to look at the night sky. Really? You had to ask? You can't just go outside and give it a try to see what happens?