Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Have you tried a different litter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

My current cat has way stinkier pee than any cats I had before but it's only strong enough to waft out of the room if he doesn't cover it properly. So, do they cover?

Also:
- how many litter boxes do you have? One isn't enough for two kittens.
- get a UV flashlight if you suspect pee outside of the box(es)
- air purifiers can help and are good for plenty of other reasons.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Also agree on trying to diagnose causes. I wouldn’t give up and accept that level of smell, no way.

Was going to ask if you just had one box but beaten. Is it clumping litter?

drunken officeparty posted:

Bladder stone was dissolving at her re-xray 2 weeks ago. She had been basically back to completely normal for weeks but yesterday started doing the frequent long litter box trips and licking again. Waiting on a call back from the vet :(

Sorry, that sucks. :(

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

kreeningsons posted:

The cat urine smell emanating from the litter box has been getting progressively worse since adopting two kittens six months ago. Everyone I talked to before adopting them said I wouldn’t have a problem with any smell if I scooped litter every day. Well I’ve been scooping twice a day, completely changing the litter and hosing down the box once a week, and the smell now overwhelms the entire basement and is beginning to become detectable on the first floor of the house. Everyone I know who has cats has a home that smells like varying degrees of urine, but I always assumed they were just lazy with the scooping, but after pressing them about their own homes, half admit that they can smell their own cats litter boxes it and half insist they can’t. Am I doing something wrong, or is the smell just part of owning cats?

If your cats are actually using the litterbox 100% of the time and the problem is the litter, you might try this litter:

I switched to it and (in a litter robot anyways) there's absolutely no smell. This is just with one big baby though not a bunch of little ones.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

What's everyone's favorite low tracking litter?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

mawarannahr posted:

What's everyone's favorite low tracking litter?

I legitimately think that unless you get the extruded walnut stuff it's going to track around no matter what. Even when I had the extruded walnut litter Quill would pull it out of the box and kick it around for fun.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I found that building one of these things is a very good idea if you have cats, especially if you have cats with long or semi-long fur like mine have. Helps with odors, is also great at just filtering out ambient dust and strands of pet fur floating through the air. I made mine with MIRV 13 filters which supposedly can filter out pretty much anything.

It's like ~$50 worth of material and you have a very effective, high-capacity air filter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw7fUMhNov8

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Pine pellets were fabulous for everything EXCEPT tracking. For that:

VelociBacon posted:

get the extruded walnut stuff

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

VelociBacon posted:

I legitimately think that unless you get the extruded walnut stuff it's going to track around no matter what. Even when I had the extruded walnut litter Quill would pull it out of the box and kick it around for fun.

Thanks. Are there any brands I might look for?

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I found that building one of these things

I just made this and my wife just left me.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
You can just buy the cheapest Ikea air purifier too, it’s not much more than $50.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
The nice thing about the Corsi Cube air filter is that replacement filters are always available. Over the years I’ve tried other better looking air filters and replacements filters are either expensive or impossible to find.

I built mine last week - 2 ply with MERV 5 filters outside and MERV 13 filters inside. The cheaper filters catch the big stuff and can be replaced more often.

In summary, I just made this and my husband loves it.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

If your cats are actually using the litterbox 100% of the time and the problem is the litter, you might try this litter:

I switched to it and (in a litter robot anyways) there's absolutely no smell. This is just with one big baby though not a bunch of little ones.

Does it have fragrance? The last arm and hammer product I bought had so much fragrance, it made things twice as bad, it just made things smell like perfume fragranced poop. I’m using this stuff https://www.drelseys.com/products/ultra-litter/

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Kramdar posted:

I just made this and my wife just left me.

drat dude, sorry your wife doesn't like good air filtration. Anyway gl with the divorce maybe they'll let you see your kids once a month or something.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
My cat is like 10 and seems to have stopped using the top of her cat tree for the past couple months. She used to be up there a lot looking out the window so I'm curious if she is just getting old or did she get sick of it or did something happen to the tree.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I would have your vet check if your cat has kitty arthritis. My 14 year old cat has a mild form of it and gets a dietary supplement (Dasuquin) which seems to help a bit.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Nuclear Tourist posted:

drat dude, sorry your wife doesn't like good air filtration. Anyway gl with the divorce maybe they'll let you see your kids once a month or something.

Well see she was glaring over the thing, looking at me and complaining that it was took up more room than the dining room table and then she leaned too hard on it and it collapsed under her and she was first embarrassed and then she realized how much dust had stuck to her and started looking like pig pen with her dust aura and i started laughing.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

mawarannahr posted:

Thanks. Are there any brands I might look for?

I think we used this brand:

kreeningsons posted:

Does it have fragrance? The last arm and hammer product I bought had so much fragrance, it made things twice as bad, it just made things smell like perfume fragranced poop. I’m using this stuff https://www.drelseys.com/products/ultra-litter/

I think there's a very slight one. It's not noticeable to me.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
I got my cat Quentin in 2019 when she was only a month or two old, and since then she's lived with me, my now-ex, and two other cats. This week, my ex moved out and took her two cats with her. I'll have a new roommate in a couple of days, but I'm worried that Quentin will get anxious or at least bored now that she'll be home alone for a significant chunk of the week. My lease ends in July, and my new roommate is mildly allergic to cats, so I want to hold off on getting a second cat until I move. Any recommendations for toys she could use while I'm gone? If it helps, she is a bigger cat - a little over 20 lbs, and asthmatic - and I'm getting her a harness so that I can at least start taking her out for walks when I'm home.

china bot fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 12, 2024

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

You don't know for sure if your cat will actually be bored as an only cat. She might be perfectly happy. Don't get a second cat unless you're sure she'll get along with one.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
Makes sense, and she has no choice but to be a solo cat until mid-July so I figure I'll be able to tell by then

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

china bot posted:

Makes sense, and she has no choice but to be a solo cat until mid-July so I figure I'll be able to tell by then

Kittens usually need a companion because they have so much energy it's better that they beat up on each other rather than tear your house apart.

Older cats are usually fine being alone, but adapt well to having partners, too.

Do whatever seems right.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

As for toy suggestions, it's really up to your cat what she likes. There's many self-play toys like ball tracks, battery powered wands, etc. Kitty kickers are an easy one. But many cats are great at playing by themselves with any toys - one of my cats' favorite time to play with her foil balls is in the middle of the night when she's the only one awake, she bats it herself and hunts it down when it skitters away.

That said, the best cat toy is a window they can stare out of. Preferably with a view of birds or squirrels.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

That's fine. I guess you're just losers then.

My cat is fine with us two being the only occupants of the house, but when I’m gone for 5+ days traveling for work or whatever, I feel really bad about leaving her alone. But I don’t think she will tolerate another cat, so I just make do by making sure she has lots of window spots and the bird feeders are full.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Yeah, I had a girl in college who had only lived in busy households with at least a person and usually a 2nd cat. As we all finished up school and got more regular job schedules and the person with the other cat moved out she seemed lonely and bored. Since she was only 2, we got her a kitten and she hated it. Luckily no fights, but she very clearly prefered doing her own thing.

Eventually she learned to get along and there wasn't any fighting, but she never really enjoyed having another cat in her house after she had the brief taste of having a house to herself.

That little kitten I brought home was obsessed with her until the day she died and is currently being pestered by a new kitten, so circle of life I guess.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
So, one of my cats has decided she desperately wants to climb any nearby tree or telephone pole, seemingly at random but with EXTREME dedication.

I have no idea why. Shes not scare of anything, as far as I can tell, she moves with clear purpose and no obvious anxiety and will cross open spaces to get to her decided upon target, and often get about five feet up before I realize whats she done and have to pull her off.

Obviously this is not ideal. She is otherwise very well behaved, but if she is committed to treeing herself I cant really lounge around with her outside anymore, and have to keep a shorter leash on her for walks. But she loves being outside, so I dont just want to keep her in.

im not sure what to do.

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
Heard a bit of commotion and looked outside to see this (excuse found-footage night photo quality from my potato phone):

The dark tabby is a farm cat rescue and usually kills any rats that get into the garden without any messing about. This time he brought it into the house alive and tried to let the ginger re-catch it as a teaching exercise:

Result:
-discovered our mystery bin ginger hasn't got a bad bone in his body and won't hurt a rat even if it's cowering in terror right next to him;
-had to clean up a bunch of rat poo poo;
-rat is sat in a flower pot in my front yard

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Our cats found a mouse in our ancient house. And despite one of them having been a stray for a few years before we got him, they both just followed it around trying to sniff at it while the poor thing hid in terror until we could actually catch it and get it outside

just the worst mousers

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I am going to have to leave my cat alone for a week. I know this is not ideal, I know this is a bad thing to do, I do not have a choice. I have someone who can come in a true emergency if I ask them to but otherwise they will be on their own. I want to repeat that I know this is a bad thing to do and I would avoid it if I could, I have never done something like this before and don't plan to ever do it again.

I already feed them from an automatic feeder, it has a battery backup and I am setting up ANOTHER separate one as a backup if somehow the first one breaks, I will alternate meals between the two so if somehow one of the machines breaks my cat will at least get half their food.

I am setting up some webcams so I can see if there are any problems.

One problem I need to resolve is water. A big bowl of water is obviously a terrible idea so I need to buy some kind of fountain or other device, I will probably buy two so I have a backup and to be sure they have enough water. There are a million such products online and looking through them I am having difficulty making a decision, can anyone suggest a model or a brand they like?

Thank you for your help.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 13, 2024

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Diogines posted:

I am going to have to leave my cat alone for a week. I know this is not ideal, I know this is a bad thing to do, I do not have a choice. I have someone who can come in a true emergency if I ask them to but otherwise they will be on their own. I want to repeat that I know this is a bad thing to do and I would avoid it if I could, I have never done something like this before and don't plan to ever do it again.

I already feed them from an automatic feeder, it has a battery backup and I am setting up ANOTHER separate one as a backup if somehow the first one breaks, I will alternate meals between the two so if somehow one of the machines breaks my cat will at least get half their food.

One problem I need to resolve is water. A big bowl of water is obviously a terrible idea so I need to buy some kind of fountain or other device, I will probably buy two so I have a backup and to be sure they have enough water. There are a million such products online and looking through them I am having difficulty making a decision, can anyone suggest a model or a brand they like?

Thank you for your help.

Petkit eversweet water fountain easily lasts more than a week. Sounds like you're doing everything you can do. Maybe you can hide some keys somewhere and connect with a goon in your city, if you have an emergency you can tell them where to get the keys and they can help? I would trust goons this much but not all would I guess.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I've got this Catit one and it's been very solid. Quiet, holds a lot of water, very easy to clean.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

As another failsafe, leave your toilet lids up. I know it sounds gross and it probably is, but on the other hand, cats lick their own assholes.

Give it a proper scrub before leaving.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Diogines posted:

Thank you for your help.

Is a cat sitter app like Meowtel not an option?

If not, I would HIGHLY recommend having someone check in on them if you can. Ideally every day, but even every other day if not. I know you say someone can come "in a true emergency"... But, well, this sounds like a true emergency, to be honest.

FYI, everyone who owns a pet should ALWAYS have a friend or family member they can trust to take care of their pets on short notice. I consider it a requirement for having any sort of pet. For me, I've already got a friend who pet sits for money who is my #1 first go-to, we've got the other volunteers from our foster org, and Meowtel as a last resort.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 13, 2024

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Khizan posted:

I've got this Catit one and it's been very solid. Quiet, holds a lot of water, very easy to clean.

I got one of these for my cats last year and all three of them just looked at it like it was a UFO, and promptly ignored it. I had it out for weeks and regularly cleaned it and swapped out the water, but I don't think I saw them drink from it even once.

I might get a larger one with an open reservoir of water, the kind that's marketed towards dog owners, and preferably made out of stainless steel or porcelain. I suspect I may have better luck with that. But yeah, that flower fountain one was a complete no-go for me.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Yeah I'd suggest seeing if you can wrangle the emergency person to at least promise to check in and make sure water, food, and box are ok every other day.
It only takes 2-3 days without eating or drinking to cause permanent damage which could be fatal. No judgement on your situation, but it's important to be aware of how fragile your little furball can be.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Diogines posted:

Thank you for your help.

I have this one specifically because if the power goes out, the water is still accessible by the cat, and it's 100 oz:

https://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-Drin...ps%2C265&sr=8-9

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

xzzy posted:

As another failsafe, leave your toilet lids up. I know it sounds gross and it probably is, but on the other hand, cats lick their own assholes.

Give it a proper scrub before leaving.

Or just fill a 9x13 baking pan with water and put it on the floor somewhere.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Just leave your sink full?

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Would you want to drink water that’s been sitting out in a pan for a week? That would probably make the cat sick. At least the water is circulating and going through a filter with the fountain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I got some tofu litter and the cat threw up 4 times the next day, so I am going back to wood. It could just be a coincidence but I think there's a good chance it's the litter. Has anyone experienced this?