Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
why are the bottom of cats hind feet so soft and why am i not allowed to touch them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

You can touch them. My cat touches my feet all the time, so I touch his feet, too. Sometimes he pushes his feet against mine while we're napping on the couch.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
If i touch them it makes her angry and then she has to clean them

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Bad Seafood posted:

Hello. First-time cat owner and possible idiot.

My little guy hates being picked up. He's nervous around strangers but affectionate around me, chilling on my bed, rubbing up against my legs; but the moment you try to pick him up for even a single second he thrashes around like a bat out of Hell, scrambling, biting, scratching. The last time I took him to the vet to get vaccinated he was still a kitten, and it took me an entire hour to get him in the carrier.

Anyway, he's six-months-old and I need to get him neutered (I was explicitly told to wait that long by the vet). Please recommend me some method for wrangling or sedating him without losing both my arms or taking a million years. I love this little fella but I just had to cancel an appointment after he thwarted every single attempt to get him in the carrier.

For the record: I bought a new, larger carrier about a month ago in preparation for this event, leaving it out for him to explore and putting treats in there so he forms a positive association with it. I'll see him poke around it regularly and even occasionally wander fully inside, but lucky me he decided to only stand halfway inside today, and reacted poorly to my attempts to usher him in the rest of the way.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I can't recommend a top loading carrier enough for difficult cats, though it's still a tricky job cause they just try to jump out instantly

Organza Quiz posted:

I use a top loader for the Good Child, who believes in non-violent protest only and will allow me to put her in it on her back and then gently push her head down after she rights herself while I zip it up.

I genuinely believe that the Less Good Child thinks her life is genuinely in danger when I try to get her in a carrier, she acts like she is fighting for her life. She is for sure an outlier though.

I've got two of these guys, one standard one XL: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EI3ZKP0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

They make it pretty dang easy to get even my big fussy boi (18~ lbs) into the carriers, at least by comparison of standard carriers. Though I have no hesitation on scruffing them when I need to get them to the vet. We normally try to avoid it, but sometimes its just the best answer to ensure you're not hurt, and they're not hurt.

These are what we moved to after going through: standard front loaders, and then softloaders with front and top loading. We ditched the soft carriers because my big boi was too much to be contained. He would turn into a tazmanian devil when in the soft carriers for whatever reason, he only did this in the soft carriers.

The big XL one is more than large enough for him to mostly sit up if he wants to.

Rawrbomb fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 26, 2024

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

James is newly diabetic, as a result of the steroids he got given to alleviate the skin problems he was getting due to the hyperthyroid meds he was on.

The plan is to monitor his glucose levels using urine test strips, which were $8 AUD for a bottle of tons at the pharmacy. The only problem, so far, is getting a urine sample. At the moment I'm using clay litter which, well, becomes solid clay as soon as it gets wet. It's hard to tell whether I'm getting enough urine into the test strip, and then hard to tell whether the blue turned to green or if it just looks green next to the brown clay.

Going to try to reach around behind him with a test strip next time he's in the litter box and try to get it in mid stream...

E: we're expecting him to go into remission, but in the meantime the vet wants to know how things are going

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 16, 2024

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I noticed Brock is kinda keeping one eye squinted today. He can open it, and does when excited, but at rest, it's nearly shut. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it gets worse, but has anyone seen that?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I noticed Brock is kinda keeping one eye squinted today. He can open it, and does when excited, but at rest, it's nearly shut. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it gets worse, but has anyone seen that?

Yeah I've seen this when Quill got some litter in her eye. It went away by the next day. If there's a foreign body irritating the eye you should see discharge also (clear fluid) from the eye. Is Brock rubbing at it?

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
No, he isn't. He seems fine, just squinting. I'll just keep watching, it seems a bit better now, but we'll see.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

If it gets goopy and/or the cat refuses to let you touch near their eye (assuming they usually do), Terramycin for eye infections is available on Amazon. Look up a video on how to do it because it's hard for me to describe. You gotta clean your hands with the most gentle, unscented things you can find and/or buy. This is because your ointment-covered finger has to touch that sore eye. Enlist another pair of hands to hold the cat if they're a squirmer.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Coolness Averted posted:

While we're on vet chat, just a reminder that it's important to get your cats regular visits, especially as they get older. While there's some stuff that can start overnight there's also issues that can develop overtime or be so gradual you don't notice, but the vet does.

This is sound advice. My girls are pushing 13 now and one of them was clearly a bit off and I noticed she was chugging water. We also started blowing through litter with extra urination. Took her to the vet and it's diabeetus with some pancreatitis as well. Got her back yesterday with some pills and a bunch of needles. So hopefully we'll have everything under control pretty quickly. She doesn't seem to care about the shots at all.

Now I need to set up an appointment for the other one just for a general checkup.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Our kitten ( 1.5 yrs ) just had a palap removed from under her nose. The vet said it was one of the biggest palap she has seen.

After numerous rounds of antibiotics and steroids to treat her running nose, they finally found the issue. A palap under her nose. She can finally breathe easy! If your kitty always seems to be snotty, that may be why.

Didn't want to gross anyone out, but I was surprised how big it was it's hosted on imagur

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Polyp.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Cool, I've just discovered yet another deficiency of the Litter Robot 4. It turns out if you let the waste drawer get too full before changing it, when you pull it out the waste scrapes against the underside of the thing. Yet another difficult-to-clean place for it to become dirty. And the "waste drawer is getting full" notification obviously never got sent.

I hate this thing. I hate it so much that I'm not sure I want to even try to resell it and recoup some of the money I wasted on it, because I don't want to foist this piece of poo poo onto someone else.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Mar 3, 2024

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

It is dumb that the only notification is when the drawer is full. How about notifiying me when it's 50 or something.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Hyperlynx posted:

Cool, I've just discovered yet another deficiency of the Litter Robot 4. It turns out if you let the waste drawer get too full before changing it, when you pull it out the waste scrapes against the underside of the thing. Yet another difficult-to-clean place for it to become dirty. And the "waste drawer is getting full" notification obviously never got sent.

I hate this thing. I hate it so much that I'm not sure I want to even try to resell it and recoup some of the money I wasted on it, because I don't want to foist this piece of poo poo onto someone else.

You might need to recalibrate the sensors, or clean them if you never have.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Thanks for the advice, everybody.

Today was attempt two and I finally got him in the carrier. I ended up moving it to a side room with no hiding spots, put some treats inside, then shut the door behind us. After that I was able to snag him in a blanket, burrito-style, and pet him until he calmed down (wearing a long-sleeved corduroy shirt helped). After that he went in easily, though he seemed a bit pensive whenever I checked in on him.

Left him overnight at the vet's. I'll pick him up tomorrow after work.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

My anxiety boy needs his feliway. I used three at once when I introduced the kittens, but now that I've weaned them off the Feliways, his anxiety is back, even though everyone gets along swimmingly.

Looks like they sell Feliway collars, anyone ever use one of those?

phosdex posted:

It is dumb that the only notification is when the drawer is full. How about notifiying me when it's 50 or something.

You can look at the app at any time, it gives you a percent full, and a visual on how much litter has been used up.

Besides, after a few weeks, you should figure the rhythm of the thing out. Now that I have three cats, it's every 4 days.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Those things can be true while my complaint can be true as well.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Squashy Nipples posted:

My anxiety boy needs his feliway. I used three at once when I introduced the kittens, but now that I've weaned them off the Feliways, his anxiety is back, even though everyone gets along swimmingly.

If he's got anxiety maybe he might need something more than feliway? My cat has anxiety and I have him on fluoxetine which helps a ton.

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011
Cat has started playing a very fun game where she goes somewhere like in a box or between my bed's sideboard and the wall and meows really pitifully and sadly so when I or anyone else goes to look, she jumps out and attacks. Repeat until she tires herself out.

I love this little beast.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I've got a very sad foster cat right now. She's an older cat whose elderly owner died, and was saved before their next of kin put her down. She's so, SO scared and not getting any better. Every time someone comes in the room, she alternates between meows and hissing, and may swipe if anyone gets close - not as viciously as some other cats, but enough to draw blood. She'll generally hold off on that if you're giving her food, and my wife has actually been able to get her to accept pets, but she just keeps regressing back into fear. She also keeps peeing on the bed in the guest/cat room she's in (we always have waterproof covers thankfully).

The saddest part is that you can tell she still wants affection. She'll actually play with toys, and will roll around like a happy cat wanting pets, but every other moment she'll shift back to hissing and scratching. I know we should spend more time with her to socialize her better, but it's hard when you don't know when she might strike out at you.

I hope she just needs time - we currently have another foster who came to us pregnant and practically feral, and after her babies were adopted out and she had some dental work done, she magically turned into the sweetest cuddlebug ever. But this new one... I don't know, she's just not making any progress, and I'm not sure what to do for her :(

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
My indoor cat somehow has both hookworms and roundworms diagnosed by a fecal at the e-vet last night (salmon-colored pure liquid diarrhea is ALARMING). We’re assuming her brother does too, so she had first dewormer treatment last night (first of 5) and he’s getting his first treatment tonight when she’s getting her second.

The vet instructions were to disinfect absolutely everything to kill off eggs so that she doesn’t reinfect herself by stepping in and tracking/licking paws. We have a Litter Robot so disinfecting this whole thing is going to be A Chore, but I am wondering what the timing should be to start scorched-earthing everything. Like, litter box probably has lotsa worm eggs in it right now, but since the cats are early in treatment they’re probably both still pooping more eggs out? so it’d just add more eggs into this little litter ecosystem I’d think?

Also cats are very, very dumb and always decide to get e-vet sick at dumb times for example the night before I was scheduled for abdominal surgery, so I’m typing this from bed and will be instructing my husband and friend to do all this for me. Oy. Honestly I’m just happy she has a diagnosis, because she’s had poopy problems since we got them a year ago and fecals came up clean. Apparently it could have been the wrong part of the life cycles. If she produces a proper consistency turd for the first time ever by the end of this I’ll be so happy.

E: should this go in vet thread?

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 5, 2024

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I've got a very sad foster cat right now. She's an older cat whose elderly owner died, and was saved before their next of kin put her down. She's so, SO scared and not getting any better. Every time someone comes in the room, she alternates between meows and hissing, and may swipe if anyone gets close - not as viciously as some other cats, but enough to draw blood. She'll generally hold off on that if you're giving her food, and my wife has actually been able to get her to accept pets, but she just keeps regressing back into fear. She also keeps peeing on the bed in the guest/cat room she's in (we always have waterproof covers thankfully).

The saddest part is that you can tell she still wants affection. She'll actually play with toys, and will roll around like a happy cat wanting pets, but every other moment she'll shift back to hissing and scratching. I know we should spend more time with her to socialize her better, but it's hard when you don't know when she might strike out at you.

I hope she just needs time - we currently have another foster who came to us pregnant and practically feral, and after her babies were adopted out and she had some dental work done, she magically turned into the sweetest cuddlebug ever. But this new one... I don't know, she's just not making any progress, and I'm not sure what to do for her :(

Does she settle down after more time in the room if you're not approaching her or anything?

Could you maybe just quietly read a book with her or something? That way she can approach you on her terms and all. It worked well for a really skittish cat we had when I was a kid, and it worked super great for when we brought Pavarotti home with us after we adopted him where he would hiss and swipe at me if I got close after an unfortunate having to pick him up incident when he was nervous

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

seiferguy posted:

If he's got anxiety maybe he might need something more than feliway? My cat has anxiety and I have him on fluoxetine which helps a ton.

The Feliway is highly effective for him, which is why I was considering the collar.

But yes, I suppose I could look into medication.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Does she settle down after more time in the room if you're not approaching her or anything?

Could you maybe just quietly read a book with her or something? That way she can approach you on her terms and all. It worked well for a really skittish cat we had when I was a kid, and it worked super great for when we brought Pavarotti home with us after we adopted him where he would hiss and swipe at me if I got close after an unfortunate having to pick him up incident when he was nervous

Ideally we would be spending a lot of time in the room with her, but it's not possible for us right now. And she can't be with the other cats, they already fight under the door. I'm hoping we're a temporary foster and another person that can spend more time with her opens up.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

My cat just got a blood glucose monitor implant, and just went up to 2 units insulin from 1. The monitor says his blood glucose is currently 3.2nmol/L and still falling. The app (which is for humans) says that is low. An internet search suggests it should be between 4.4 and 6.6.

At what point do I start panicking and rubbing syrup on his gums? I know to do that if he starts seizures, but er how low is dangerous and is this an emergency? The vet didn't tell me this bit :(

... I'll phone the emergency vet, to be on the safe side

E: wait, now he's back up to 3.9. Cat, you're going to give me a heart attack!

EE: wat now 4.2. okay.

He's on the couch next to me, purring and getting a belly rub. I'm meant to be in bed, but now I'm staying up until I'm sure he's okay. And tomorrow I take him to get radioactive iodine treatment for his hyperthyroidism...

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Mar 6, 2024

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It takes a while to figure out how blood sugar works. Every body reacts slightly differently so you take the broad stroke advice and tailor it as you gain experience.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Ok. Whew. Maybe I can go to bed.

E: at time of post, it wasin the red and falling

EE: huh, first time trying attachments with the Awful app. Okay, only one per post it looks like

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Mar 6, 2024

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

What it showed when I was busy panicking

E: now it's low again. Well I guess I'll stay up longer and keep an eye on him :ohdear:

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Mar 6, 2024

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If it becomes a consistent pattern a lower dosage is definitely in the cards. It just takes time to collect enough experience to know how to react.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

xzzy posted:

If it becomes a consistent pattern a lower dosage is definitely in the cards. It just takes time to collect enough experience to know how to react.

Ok, but the question is: right now, at what stage is this a medical emergency?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Ok. The cat is perfectly fine. He was dozing happily until he got up to get more cuddles.

I'm going to bed.

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

2.2 is what would be considered "critical" or life threatening but I'm not a vet, just a lab scientist, definitely talk to your vet if you're concerned.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
I don’t know much about cat insulin but I know that there are Junior syringes and pens that deliver half-units. If 2 is too much, you might be able to do 1.5.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I also don't know about cat diabetes, but I can tell you with human glucose monitors that you sometimes may get a faulty sensor. If you get a critical reading, make sure to confirm it with the traditional blood testing method, especially if you just changed the sensor. (I'm assuming the cat glucose monitors are very similar to human ones.)

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
Pazuzu, as of Friday, is suddenly acting like she’s starving.

She’s 16 months old and until now has been mostly not very food motivated. Like if I filled her bowl up first thing in the morning, she wouldn’t finish it by the evening more often than not. But now, she’s waking me up for breakfast and finishing her meals completely, which she’s never done before.

She does not have increased thirst, she is not urinating more, she is not at all lethargic or otherwise acting unwell, nor has she lost weight. So, unlikely to be Diabetes.

She saw the vet on Thursday and he said she was in great shape and was a healthy weight, but she shouldn’t gain more.

I’ve been giving her the same amount (5/8ths of a cup of kibble since she’s repelled by wet food. (last time I tried it she shoved her bowl off the counter in disgust.)

So basically: what the hell? Is she just having a growth spurt? The vet said no need to come in since there’s no other behavioral changes.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Cat stayed in the green zone all night and this morning and after breakfast. Didn't give him his two units of insulin until I'd spoken to the vet. Vet said yes good idea. Confirmed my understanding that yes, insulin make blood glucose go down, you don't just give it regularly regardless.

Well, now he's at the hyperthyroid clinic, and they'll look after him. I get him back in a week, when he's less radioactive. Phew.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Bladder stone was dissolving at her re-xray 2 weeks ago. She had been basically back to completely normal for weeks but yesterday started doing the frequent long litter box trips and licking again. Waiting on a call back from the vet :(

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

The cat urine smell emanating from the litter box has been getting progressively worse since adopting two kittens six months ago. Everyone I talked to before adopting them said I wouldn’t have a problem with any smell if I scooped litter every day. Well I’ve been scooping twice a day, completely changing the litter and hosing down the box once a week, and the smell now overwhelms the entire basement and is beginning to become detectable on the first floor of the house. Everyone I know who has cats has a home that smells like varying degrees of urine, but I always assumed they were just lazy with the scooping, but after pressing them about their own homes, half admit that they can smell their own cats litter boxes it and half insist they can’t. Am I doing something wrong, or is the smell just part of owning cats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Are you sure they aren't peeing outside the box too? I'm sure there is a cat smell but I've live with a cat for 30 years so am more or less immune to the ambience. I can only smell urine when the box badly needs new litter or they pee somewhere else.