Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Does anyone elses cat duck down expectantly when you pet them head to tail even if you take your hand away and don't pet again? Like they know their head being pushed down a little is going to happen so they lower it in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I got a new kitten recently who is now about 3 1/2 months old. He got all his shots and stuff fine but the vet says he has a heart murmur and it’s a risk to get him neutered??? They keep suggesting I do a blood test for ~$300 or a ultrasound or whatever for another $7-800. I don’t really have the money for that on top of the $300 they want to neuter. I love him so much and I just don’t know what to do. My other cats have gotten neutered at one of those quick chop shops for cheap. Maybe just pay for the vet to neuter because they will be aware and I guess more careful? Anyone have any experience with this?

Also his teeth are so, so orange and he snores and breathes so heavy but thats another thing.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I can’t find any vet that is still doing neuters. I already was worried sick about even doing it with his heart murmur and wanted to not have that hanging over my head already but looks like it will be for a long while longer.

I just want him to be less bitey :mad:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

My cat was his normal self last night. I woke up this morning and he saw me and immediately went into terrified hissing and hiding mode for a minute, followed by attacking. I’ve had cats my whole life and never had this happen before. And it wasn’t “grrr stop petting me” cat slaps, he was howling and following me genuinely trying to hurt me. It was scary and I was backed into a corner desperately putting clothes on and had to leave the house to get away. I came back 4 hours later and now he is being normal as if nothing happened. I don’t know what to do.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

drunken officeparty posted:

My cat was his normal self last night. I woke up this morning and he saw me and immediately went into terrified hissing and hiding mode for a minute, followed by attacking. I’ve had cats my whole life and never had this happen before. And it wasn’t “grrr stop petting me” cat slaps, he was howling and following me genuinely trying to hurt me. It was scary and I was backed into a corner desperately putting clothes on and had to leave the house to get away. I came back 4 hours later and now he is being normal as if nothing happened. I don’t know what to do.

He did it again 2 days after this post, and didn’t calm down until I brought him to a 24 hour place and they said he was physically okay but gave him a pain medicine that made him groggy and calm for the night. Yesterday morning he went back to being violent and I took him to the regular vet. Again they said he was physically ok as far as they could examine. I didn’t have thousands of dollars to run MRI scans or boarding him for cat therapy, and there’s nowhere to surrender to for violent behavior. We had to put him down and I held him while they did it. I loved him so much. He was my everything.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 25, 2021

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I’ve never had a cat before that talks as much as the one I have now. And it makes me so worried and sad all the time because I’m used to only hearing cat sounds when they are hurt or stuck :(

But she seems to just meow at me for no reason other than to do it.

She also loves her window seat but I get so worried when the windows open she will either try and get out of the screen, or fall out accidentally. Do they make like heavy duty mesh that I could bolt on to the frame?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I went to visit my parents house today and my 3 family cats got so loving fat. They’ve been the same normal size for 10 years up to the last time I was here a few months ago, now they are literally twice that.

November 2019

Today

It’s making me really upset

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

What started as just a normal tray litter box has piece by piece devolved into this monstrosity

:suicide:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Well do YOU go after all the bugs you see outside? But if theres a bug inside what do you do

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

She never actually tries to escape but this puts my mind at ease. If she manages to get out through this, she was meant to be free.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I just found a cat tooth laying on the ground. I found one other like 2 months ago. I can’t say for sure how long this one has been there, but I don’t think more than a day or two. I’m not sure how to tell if these are baby teeth falling out or not? She was born sometime in February. I didn’t even know cats had baby teeth until just now.

She’s an extremely bitey cat who just loves to chomp on anything and everything. I’m worried that’s causing it.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 15, 2021

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

It’s definitely a tooth. I’m pretty sure I can see a gap where it should go, sort of the middle of one side of her mouth. Definitely not the front stabby fangs.

E: really hard to get a picture. It’s missing from where the arrow is.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 15, 2021

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

She woke up normal, went and gave her the morning can of food. She chomped it all down. 45 minutes later :barf: it all back up. Then she meowed sadly at me and threw up 3 more times in 10 minutes but just little liquid puddles.

At least it wasn’t on carpet.

I’m sure it’s just an upset tummy from eating too much or too fast, but I hate worrying so much :(

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Aug 17, 2021

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

How much a cat will use something is inversely proportional to how much money and effort you spent on it in my experience.

Why would I sleep on this $50 comfy cat bed when there’s a perfectly good dirty towel laying on the floor?

Why drink out of this fancy filtered water fountain when the shitters right here?

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 17, 2021

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Spread the fur in their armpits so you can see skin to check for fleas. If you see them you want to do something immediately, if not then still vet asap for general kitten stuff.

The Cat FAQ/Megathread: is there a good guide for this where it's broken down like the service intervals for a vehicle?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

A tiny bed-hiding place like that or a carrier is good but only if they can go in and out themselves. Otherwise it’s just a jail cell.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I mean don’t leave rat poison out on the floor and knives hanging off counters but there isn’t much in a normal house that would make it “unsafe” to let them roam unattended. Keeping them in one room is more to make them feel more comfortable for the first few days.

Really depends how old they are and their personality too. Cats that I’ve gotten real little ~8-12 weeks when they look like tiny furry potatoes will hide from everything for a few days. The ones I got older where they look like actual cats but smaller were full of fun kitten energy basically right away.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Wanna pet that cat

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I’ve never had a dog but I imagine they understand “I’m doing this because I love you” way, way more than cats do.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Just leave food and water accessible at all times. It’s normal for shots to make them really tired for a day or two.

If you have kitten treats that she goes nuts for, you can give her one and watch her eat it. It’ll calm you knowing she physically can eat and doesn’t throw it up or something.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 27, 2021

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

xzzy posted:

Allowing cats to graze is generally not recommended. I'm not in the "that's how they eat in the wild so it's the only option!!" camp, but dry food is more calorie dense and allowing a cat access to it whenever they want is a great recipe for a lazy fat cat. Wet food is lower calorie and better on their kidneys long term so the smart move is to do whatever you can to make sure most of their eating comes from it. Leaving kibble out all day is just gonna keep them full and then they'll treat the wet food like nothing special.

I leave a big feeder of cereal out and just fill it when it gets low. Never used wet food really at all until my current cat who gets a 3oz can in the morning. She definitely treats the wet food special. She’s relentless as I do my morning routine until she gets it. With free feeding you don’t have to worry about being gone or time of day or anything either. I could disappear for 2 weeks and she would be fine if not for the litter box.

Also I think it’s cruel to not let them feed themselves. They know themselves, they know when they are hungry, they know when they just want a snack, you don’t. Small animals need to eat more often than larger ones.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Just send your cat pictures directly to me thanks

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Sep 10, 2021

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Crocobile posted:

My cat’s smokey belly

Wanna rub that belly :3:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

My stupid idiots new favorite thing to do is take a piece of cereal out of the bowl and chase it around like a toy before finally eating it. I’m sure there’s a ton of them that get lost under the fridge or wherever and some ants are having a feast.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Can you get liquid food and force feed him guantanamo style? I mean not if he’s just a picky eater but if he is seriously not eating and needs to gain weight.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 16, 2021

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

After months of a spray bottle not working, I put tin foil down on my nightstand to try and get her to stop going on it. She jumped and ran off the first time she touched it but now she just tries to eat it :doh:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

It’s not that the spray doesn’t work, I barely ever even have to actually spray. Just picking up the bottle is enough to send her running. It’s that she is too :downs: to make the connection of what causes me to pick it up. She just goes right back to doing whatever it was.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

When you say stand up pisser I’m imagining fully upright like a guy at a urinal.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Ball Tazeman posted:

Twiggy has started having less zoomies and I’ve become so used to them that I worry with how much she sleeps all day. Then I hear her partying all night outside the bedroom door…

What kind of monster closes the bedroom door

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Suggestions on water fountains that are super easy to clean?

I have this right now

PetSafe Drinkwell Seascape Ceramic Pet Fountain - Cat and Dog Water Dispenser, 70 oz of Fresh Filtered Water - Filter Included, Gray

I like that it doesn’t make water sounds, but it’s pretty big and heavy for one cat. I’m not sure if it’s cat spit or wet food juice splashing into it or what but the water gets a shiny film over it quickly. And it’s a full half hour process to clean it good, there’s a lot of nooks and crannies in the motor I have to clean out with a toothpick. Actual slime comes out.

Anything is going to get gross, but if I have to clean it what feels like every day I’d rather have an easier one.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

xzzy posted:

We had a void cat with no discernible eyebrow whickers, but had big old semi-bald patches.

Cat anatomy is as big a mystery as cat behavior.

All black cats look identical. And yet when I had 2 I could tell them apart from a mile away.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

It looks like you left him in the oven a little too long

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

jimmychoo posted:

just need the world to know that i gave my cat a vitamin b12 injection yesterday and neither of us died :toot:

My vet laughed at me when I asked how I was supposed to give a pain pill after getting fixed.

Just make everything a liquid its so much easier to just squirt in the mouth :saddowns:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

The test results are in:

50% loving fluff ball
50% demon who won’t stop JUMPING ON MY loving DESK

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 4, 2021

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Mine used to not care about the shower and would just wait by the toilet for me to get out, but now she meows worringly when I get in. Only if I’m in it though. I can run the water and do anything else and she won’t care.

She also hasn’t ever done the slow squint and it makes me sad :(

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I have little foam stoppers on the top of my doors so they can’t even close all the way. Shame on you if you don’t let kitty guard you while you poop :colbert:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Dumb stupid idiot is obsessed with chewing on zippers. Zippered pockets, backpack zippers, crotch zippers, sweatshirt zippers, if it’s a zipper it’s going in the mouth.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

How do cat brains interpret wiggling toes under a blanket? Do they know it’s my toes under there and play along for fun, do they actually think it’s a small prey animal, or do they not even understand the concept of “under the blanket” and the moving bump itself is what they are attacking?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Uhhhhhhhhhh why did you not give kiss??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I have no idea if it actually works, but you can buy bottles of mountain lion or tiger or whatever piss to spray around. It's supposed to make them think "oh poo poo big cat around here danger danger".

Alternatively, pet the kittys :3: