Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
This might be more appropriate for the Diet thread, but I figure it can't hurt to ask here first - How hard do I go in on making cats try to accept a new brand of wet food?

I'm trying out switching my two cats to a brand of wet cat food that's sold in bigger economical Tetra/Canned packages (so ~400g per) instead of the individual pouches I've had so far.
I assumed this'd be an easy switch as they've eaten Whiskas/Latz/Sheba/Gourmet (all "cheaper but not the cheapest" grocery store brands) without any complaints when served, but they both seem to just not like this "better" grain free wet food (It's called Bozita in Sweden).

The way I serve their food so far is that I let them have free access to the dry food and serve the wet food as a treat twice per day. When I've done this they always eat the Wet food, but with this one they sniff the wet food and go straight for the dry - even when I tried some different flavours. I've tried slightly heating it before serving, and I've tried phasing it in by mixing it with the old (the latter sort of worked until the majority was the new, at which point they went "nah").

Should I remove the dry food for a few days to see if that might make them more accepting of the wet food? It's not a huge deal personally if they dislike it as I can go back to Latz, but I was hoping for a bit of a one-two "Better and cheaper" option. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Well you can try a couple more times but if it's not a prescription diet I'd say it's a waste of time and energy trying to get cats to eat food they don't like.

e: from experience with finicky cats, if they suddenly stop eating a food they liked before they might start eating it again after a break, or it might be a change in the recipe and they never touch it again. But if they don't like it from the start, there's probably not much hope.

Yepp, fair enough - pretty much what my gut was telling me. I'll try to serve the remainder I have and hop back to what they did enjoy.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

DreamingofRoses posted:

He’s been mostly resting since we got back, but has been able to get up and walk around, eat, drink water and pee in his litter box but I haven’t seen a bowel movement today or yesterday, and I’m pretty sure most of the day before? It’s hard to remember.

How much longer should I wait before I haul him back to the emergency vet?

I wouldn't be super worried about just yet, as he's peeing and eating/drinking, so you're not in the :siren: zone IMO. But if you can, try to call your veterinarian clinic and ask about it.