Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
Sup goons, maybe you can help me figure out what the matter is with my beloved cat? :(

She's 8, and we have a feeding routine (I feed her when I wake up and make my coffee, she chirps at me for lunch b/c I work from home, then chirps again at me around 6 or 7 for dinner). She usually eats like an enthusiastic drunk frat boy and is always chirping up a storm in the morning, chirping if she can see the bottom of her food bowl, etc. Yesterday when I woke up I noticed she hadn't eaten ANY of her food from last night, and was pukey all day. My roomie brought home a new cat (fixed, vaxxed, the works) a couple weeks ago, and I noticed my girl stealing the new cat's food, so I figure she'd eaten the new food, got sick, and didn't have a good time. This morning I noticed she STILL wasn't eating so I panicked and opened her treat food (soft food from her normal brand), which, luckily, she's eating, just not a whole lot. She's drinking water just fine, albeit a bit more than usual. I'm wondering if I should take her to the vet today?

Roomie's cat's vet suggested my cat is just VERY stressed out which I haven't ruled out yet :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
Got it, I'll be taking her this morning! Thanks for the advice, fingers crossed it's nothing big!

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
Holy poo poo thanks for your advice, they got my girl into surgery ASAP because she swallowed something metal. They said it's luckily just chilling in her stomach and not her intestines so she should be out tonight or tomorrow! I'm worried as hell but they're working on her right now so I'm sitting tight

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
Thank you all again SO MUCH, I'm so glad I got her checked out!! She's back home now and zonked out but perfectly happy and healing great :3: everyone say Hi to the bravest little warrior

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

xzzy posted:

What kind of procedure was it to get the metal out? Are they able to bring it back up through the throat? Or cut into the stomach?

Hope I never have to go through with that but I am curious what they're able to do for that stuff.

Basically they gave me two options, either bring it up by the throat (but I was worried the metal might be jagged) or do an incision on her stomach to get it out, luckily it was super clear on the x-ray so they were able to get in and out incision-wise no problem. They gave her IV hydration and she's gotta have 3 different kinds of medicine for the next 10 days, but basically I'm just making sure there's no complications (especially about 3-5 days from now!)

Also, turns out the metal object she ate was an entire dime, which I'm kicking myself for somehow not noticing (when did my cat eat a whole entire coin?!), so let this be a PSA if you have any scrooge mcduck-esque cats of your own :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
This might be an extremely stupid question, but I've had my cat for 8 years (since she was about 2 months old) and she has never hissed at me until this month. My roomie got a new cat, and they're getting along, but twice these last couple weeks she's hissed at me for pissing her off. I know I'm probably just a softie but I'm genuinely kind of surprised she started getting THIS mad at me. Is... is hissing something she learned from the new cat? Or am I just specifically making her THIS MAD and it took her 8 years to finally say something? :ohdear: