Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Barry Foster posted:

I have a cat question!

Next door's cat Monkey came to visit us yesterday evening (she pretty much has free rein of the two houses, she comes and goes as she pleases - which we find incredibly charming!). She was acting quite strangely. She was being INCREDIBLY affectionate, which is not totally abnormal for her, she's a very people-oriented kitty in general. But also she was acting kind of goofy, and most notably, her fur was all totally on end. Especially her tail - it looked like a chimney brush!

I've been learning about cat body language (so as to be a responsible cat uncle) and I know that fur standing on end is a pretty unambiguous "I'm ready to fight" signal. But nothing else about her behaviour said that at all, she was all over us for scritches and purring up a storm.

Was she on the 'nip, maybe? Is that a thing that happens? I've tried googling but can't find anything relevant.

It's not a big deal, I'm more just curious, really!

Was she also being vocal in her affection? Makes me think of a cat going into heat. Good friends cat had an incomplete spay, and she was continuing to go into heats, which changed her 180 degrees from I hate you and everything to I want to be your best friend why did you stop petting me. Which was super confusing for us, since she was actually spayed before he had adopted her. She's better now after they went back in and got out what was missed.

If the free roaming kitty is not fixed, you're probably gonna have kittens soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Weird Pumpkin posted:

We got our cats cooling pads that like.. I honestly don't know how they work but I assume it's something with the material where they stay cooler easily?

They seem to really like them though, so if it's a "likes to lie in a cool bed" kinda thing then that's an option. I don't believe they were too much money either!

Its through direct touch with the object. Its totally like us laying on the cold tile floor.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

xzzy posted:

Good luck! Vets act like it's the easiest thing in the world but it ain't. If you can get a pill popper from them it may make it a little easier. Try to do it somewhere where when the cat spits the pill out on the floor you can find it and try again.
They get a lot of practice at it, to be fair. And as someone who has had to do it a fair number of times, it isn't the hassle it used to be. Our little calico has had a number of issues during her life that has required pills multiple times. Normally, food is her favorite thing, but not when it has a pill. She eventually got fishy of the american cheese I would wrap the pill around so I had to start popping it in her mouth directly.

I would attempt to get her in my lap, with her oriented across my lap facing left. I would take my right arm and wrap it around her from the front, with my hand under her chin. Allowing me to control her somewhat, making it hard to get away/out of my control. From there I could either use my right hand to wedge her mouth open, or my free left to get it open, then pop the pill in.

If you run your finger under their lip line into the gums on the teeth, that will normally prompt them to open their mouth. I feel pretty lucky most of the cats won't bite down on my fingers in there. After the pill is in, i would try to hold her mouth shut and massage the throat to help make her swallow. Really though, just rubbing the throat/chin was enough, she never spat it out that I can remember...

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

parara posted:

I have a question about a second cat! Stoffer is about five months old now, and his parents accidentally had another litter soon after his (he was the only one in his litter). I've thought about getting a second cat in the future as a buddy for him, is it better to do so now? His sibling litter will be ready to leave around September, which would make Stoffer about seven months old.

I guess I'm asking because I'm still enjoying my time so much bonding with him and it's just the two of us, and I feel like it may be too soon? I do eventually want to get a second cat, but if it's better for the domestic harmony to do it as soon as possible now that Stoffer is still young, I might cave sooner.

Also, I'm only used to having one cat so is there anything I should know (apart from the gradual introduction, of course)? The idea of having another cat almost feels like betrayal towards my current fluffball, as stupid as that sounds.

You cannot be around 100% of the time for your little bud, so get them a friend to bond with now (soon!). There is a really good chance they'll bond well, and as kittens probably get along better. I don't think there is a huge difference from 1 to 2 cats, aside from more litter boxes, food, and toys. You do want N + 1 boxes if possible, where N is cats.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Nichael posted:

I am guessing the answer is no, and I apologize for asking if it's been asked, but do the cat pheromone spray things work to reduce fighting between two cats?

From personal expirence, they do seem to help on some level. Do you have any idea what the source of the fighting is?

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

hey mom its 420 posted:

I have two male cats, both neutered. They usually get along really well. I had to take one to the vet to take some teeth out because of plaque bulidup. The cat that stayed home keeps hissing at him if he comes close. I guess it's a scent/hormone thing. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with this and is he going to remember him eventually or has their relationship like been reset?

Should go away in a few days. They smell weird/different compared to normal.

For my team, the returning member gets a bunch of inspection when they are back in the house and tend to be grumpy about it and want to be left alone. Hissing etc for like maybe an hour or two. For the few larger stints at the vet, maybe 2 days? But they get back to normal quickly.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yeah. I live in a very rural area, the two vets (one closed last year) aren't taking new patients, and I'm going to have to bite the bullet and take two cats in carriers for a 3-hour round trip to get their shots. :aaaaa:

Not sure about your area, but a farm vet will be good enough for things like shots and whatnot. And should be able/willing to travel to you. Might be pricier, but sure as poo poo easier than transporting cats more than 20~ min.

Mine hate being in their carriers, and yowl for most of the car ride. I moved with a single boy many years ago now, and i had to sedate him to make him slightly okay with being moved across the country. He abhorred being in the car, at all.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

MrYenko posted:

:3:

Your UPS/FedEx/MooseMail/Whatever delivery person is not going to share our enthusiasm, but gently caress em.

As if Canada Post would deliver that much. They rarely even deliver packages to my house before covid, post covid, gently caress no lol. The goon will likely have to go pick it up at their local Canada Post drop off, which might be a shoppers drugmart, other independent pharmacist or other random places. Hey, its :canada:, not like we can expect the postman to deliver the post.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

kaom posted:

Not specifically a question for you, VelociBacon, but I’ve heard this advice a few times and I’m kind of confused about it. If you’re buying food-grade plastic or melamine, why wouldn’t that be food safe? :confused: Is this more about low quality stuff on Amazon or is there something I’m missing?

There is some limited evidence that plastic can exacerbate cat based acne, but not sure what more than that. I personally also avoid plastic for my cats, at least for regular eating serving stuff. We mostly use ikea bowls for wet food (the really wide ones), and we use baking trays for dry kibble. We just throw their dishes into the dishwasher with the rest of our stuff.

VelociBacon posted:

Love the cat, fountains are MANDATORY for cats so they even have a chance at drinking enough water. Please get one right away, the eversweet ones on Amazon are great. I have the v2, the v3 is good also.

Make sure you're using ceramic or metal feeding bowls also so kitten doesn't get an infection from the bacteria that plastic bowls retain.

My black cat never goes near the sink when it's in use but goes foraging in it if it isn't left empty every single night. Part of their behavior pattern to look for food at night.

xzzy posted:

Fountains are not mandatory.

I mostly agree with xzzy. Every cat is different, so your milage may vary. Fountains can sound like running water, and cats are more likely to want fresh water. At least one good friend of mine, they have to leave a sink running in the house so that the cat will come drink the water. They will only play with their drinking water otherwise.

Making sure you change their bowls frequently is enough for our 4 cats. We gave up on fountains as the additional maintenance to clean the fountain pump properly was more work than just changing the water frequently. Honestly, if you've got any concerns about plastics, a fountain is probably straight out as their pumps are just plastic.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

an iksar marauder posted:

I just have an earthenware fountain that I rinse every few weeks, works great. Holds a couple of liters, so I don't have to refill it every day, just every 3-4 days or so.

If it has a pump, and you haven't disassembled it to clean, it, please do so soon. Those things pick up dirt, grime, and other poo poo and hold onto it forever.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

mawarannahr posted:

What about this thing? He does have his own bathroom with sink, and minimal cleaning is appealing.
https://aquapurr.com

I'd feel a lot better about this one, since its not recycling the water that is just sitting in the fountain. But for people who are worried about plastic, its not really an option again.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Kullik posted:

Yeah honestly but there were some kinda weird circumstances with the shelters here only letting you adopt if you were willing to let them go outdoors and stuff. I think with two of us here and me working from home we can probably manage til he chills out. I was just hoping for some recs to make it a lil easier

Get them a friend! Seriously, you already have one kitten, a second isn't much more work, and they'll likely bond and be besties for life.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

nice obelisk idiot posted:

Somebody on this site was extremely vocal about cats hating their belly/lower chest being rubbed, and that is very much not the case for mine. He entered a state of what can best be described as oceanic bliss, as opposed to it being a severely traumatizing betrayal of trust. I consciously try to avoid listening to goons, but sometimes things just rub off on you and I never actually tried it.

VelociBacon posted:

Every cat likes a belly rub sometimes!

I feel like telling people not to touch the tummy is general advice for most cats. I woundn't try and touch a random kitties tummy who rolled over for me, I don't know them that well. But you know your own cats and their limits.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

cash crab posted:

he has very smooth socks so there isn't much to trim. his sister doesn't but she's less clumsy.

also an alternative solution i was batting around seems to have been helping: i bought them a much larger litter box. they still had their medium sized one from when i first got them and the giant one helps for some reason. i was cleaning the old one about twice a day and it would still seem "full" as of about two weeks ago when this started happening so i think it was a volume issue. once they're adult sized i think i'll try the walnut or just get them an extra box.

:3: they're so loving weird

I'd suggest at least 2 litter boxes for 2 cats, probably 3. N+1 helps give them more options, though it does require more upkeep on your end. A litter robot is also a great choice, shouldn't be much in the way of waste to get attached to the fur. They just cost $$$.

Rescue Toaster posted:

Man we're having a surprisingly hard time integrating a couple cats that I thought would go better.

We had an older cat that was very standoffish/loner, would hiss when someone else tried to initiate play, didn't reciprocate grooming attempts, etc... she passed away in the fall.

The younger cat was the more confident, tried to initiate stalking/play behavior (and got hissed at for it), attempted to groom the older one, etc... she's about 5 now. We had an even older cat around when this one was just a kitten, and they got along great. So history of reasonable interactions with cats. However it's notable she's *terrified* of people other than us. If my parents visit she'll literally hide under a dresser all weekend. She hates being picked up or held/restrained at all.

New cat is a boy a couple years younger (2-3) than the girl, very friendly with people, doesn't mind being picked up. Playful, wants to initiate play. No 'aggressive' behavior at all, zero hissing/growling, never gets his fur up. Sometimes if he walks past/near the girl, she'll just observe and he'll go on his way. But if he sticks around too long or runs at her, she hisses/runs/growls. If he runs after her it'll go on for a couple loops around the main floor until we break it up or she gets cornered and yowls at him.

The girl recovers quickly when he moves on or is put back in a bedroom for the night, so she's not endlessly stressed. She just seems very worried about him coming after her to play whenever he's out. Which is rich considering she used to constantly stalk the older cat(s). But cats can be hypocrites too I suppose, she just wants to be the one in control/initiating and she's not right now.

It seems like this is something that'll improve over time, but my main worries:

A) Every time he chases her and she runs instead of standing up for herself, how much is that setting things back?
B) Even though I WFH the amount of times we can be closely monitoring them is limited, which is going to restrict the time they are exposed to each other and mean he has to spend a lot of the day in a bedroom.
C) Trying to 'tire him out' is a ridiculous proposition. People online will say dumb poo poo like "Play with him for 10-15 mins 2-3 times a day." Are you kidding me? Playing with him for less than 45 minutes just riles him up, and it lasts barely long enough for him to take a nap and he's ready to go. He's like a kitten even though he's over 2 y/o now. Plus another cat is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more interesting than toys, and the bedroom is really just where he sleeps, so he doesn't really want to play if we separate him in there.

You gotta let the cats cat, they're establishing their boundaries. As long as there is not straight up skipping to murder, give them a little more space.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Hyperlynx posted:

Well, for whoever was asking about litter robots, my LR4:

• Currently thinks its empty litter storage is 70% full.
  • Needs bags, while my old clumping litter I could just flush.
  • That means more plastic waste, or sustainable made-from-plants ones that horrifyingly the cat waste seems to osmosis its way through.
  • Needs an internet connection to use the pet scale.
  • The scale doesn't work properly. It keeps thinking one of my cats is 1.5kg. I have created a new cat profile named "Nobody" and told it that Nobody weighs 1.5kg, so that maybe it'll start recognising my ~4.5kg cat.
  • The weights are a few hundred grams off what the ones at the vet say.
  • Twice, the "whoops there's a cat in here, better stop the clean cycle" sensors have got confused by the lumps of waste tumbling around during the clean cycle, pausing the cycle for a few moments.
  • Doesn't really trap the stink all that well. Tried baking soda infused litter, and it smells worse and stronger than the ordinary stuff.
In conclusion: it's a stupid piece of crap and I'm sorry I bought it :(

Did you get clear bags for the little robot bin? The older LR models for sure have problem with dark bags, they think its full. I switched to clear and haven't had other issues.

I also don't have the internet connected one.

If something is hitting the pinch sensor (I assume its still there are on the 4) that would for sure trigger a stoppage. A turd might have rolled and wacked it. Sometimes it gets dirty/cruddy and needs a clearout. But that shouldn't be the case on a brand new one.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'm lazy and cheap and I just use generic tall kitchen trash bags (opaque white ones, if that makes a difference) instead of buying the official bags. Very occasionally I'll get an error where it thinks it's full. Actually, come to think of it, I think that's another problem that was fixed by the warranty replacement. Hasn't happened in a long time.

Same, we just use clear "regular"/"tall" 74L garbage bags in the bin. I'm not paying that markup, doubly so as I'm in Canada.

Hyperlynx posted:

Exactly!

The only reason I got this thing is because a guest complained about the smell of cat box (my place is pretty small). I couldn't smell anything amiss, and figured I'd just become habituated to it. I got this thing because it said it was particularly good at trapping the stink.

E: and maybe it is, and maybe if I could find waste bags I'm happy with I wouldn't be so unhappy with it. But I really don't want to constantly be chucking plastic every few days, and the sustainable ones I've been trying are awful.

If someone isn't used to cat smells, a house full of "used" cat litter is going to stink. I wonder if your litter had gotten extra stinky? I know I absolutely need to do full refreshes of the open boxes every month or two or the litter just continues to stink regardless of what's in it. I generally find that the smell of the litter in the litter robot is a lot better than the litter in the open cat boxes. Maybe its because it gets rotated and doesn't sit and mix forever?

If a cat takes a poop, its still an open room, and it will take time for that smell to go away. It won't be nearly as bad contained within the bin, as it would be sitting out for everyone to admire it.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Bad Seafood posted:

Hello. First-time cat owner and possible idiot.

My little guy hates being picked up. He's nervous around strangers but affectionate around me, chilling on my bed, rubbing up against my legs; but the moment you try to pick him up for even a single second he thrashes around like a bat out of Hell, scrambling, biting, scratching. The last time I took him to the vet to get vaccinated he was still a kitten, and it took me an entire hour to get him in the carrier.

Anyway, he's six-months-old and I need to get him neutered (I was explicitly told to wait that long by the vet). Please recommend me some method for wrangling or sedating him without losing both my arms or taking a million years. I love this little fella but I just had to cancel an appointment after he thwarted every single attempt to get him in the carrier.

For the record: I bought a new, larger carrier about a month ago in preparation for this event, leaving it out for him to explore and putting treats in there so he forms a positive association with it. I'll see him poke around it regularly and even occasionally wander fully inside, but lucky me he decided to only stand halfway inside today, and reacted poorly to my attempts to usher him in the rest of the way.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I can't recommend a top loading carrier enough for difficult cats, though it's still a tricky job cause they just try to jump out instantly

Organza Quiz posted:

I use a top loader for the Good Child, who believes in non-violent protest only and will allow me to put her in it on her back and then gently push her head down after she rights herself while I zip it up.

I genuinely believe that the Less Good Child thinks her life is genuinely in danger when I try to get her in a carrier, she acts like she is fighting for her life. She is for sure an outlier though.

I've got two of these guys, one standard one XL: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EI3ZKP0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

They make it pretty dang easy to get even my big fussy boi (18~ lbs) into the carriers, at least by comparison of standard carriers. Though I have no hesitation on scruffing them when I need to get them to the vet. We normally try to avoid it, but sometimes its just the best answer to ensure you're not hurt, and they're not hurt.

These are what we moved to after going through: standard front loaders, and then softloaders with front and top loading. We ditched the soft carriers because my big boi was too much to be contained. He would turn into a tazmanian devil when in the soft carriers for whatever reason, he only did this in the soft carriers.

The big XL one is more than large enough for him to mostly sit up if he wants to.

Rawrbomb fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 26, 2024

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I just got a cat yesterday. For context, I've had cats before, but they were either family pets or my ex-wife handled the transition to a new home. Also the cat I had with my ex-wife had a heart murmur from the time we got her so we had constant vet advice on feeding and medication to handle it, my new cat doesn't have any health problems aside from a tooth that had to get pulled. He's a 3 year old cat from the shelter that seems like he was likely abandoned because he was already neutered and at a 5/9 on the BCS when he got picked up by animal control.

He hasn't eaten his food at all since I brought him home about 18 hours ago, and I'm worried. It's 90% the Science Diet that they fed him at the shelter, and 10% Blue that the shelter gave me along with the Science Diet. So it should smell like the food he's used to. Is there a way I should be showing him that it's his food and his bowl? I haven't found any urine or fecal matter outside the litter box so I think he's using it, but I'm also not seeing any distinct urine/poop in the litter box so maybe he hasn't had to go yet.

My personal first concern would be that are they drinking water, even if they haven't urinated/eaten. I agree with cash that they're likely anxious/scared and getting used to their new environment. But it is a little weird that they are not super interested in their food. Were there any notes about him being food driven? Have you tried offering any treats or wet food?

What are they doing otherwise? Are they exploring the new space at all, hanging out with you, or hiding in a corner?

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

cash crab posted:

alright, so i let them meet today.

the girl, aanyeong, won’t really leave my bed because she’s scared of tandy, and tandy doesn’t understand why she’s mad when he charges at her to play wrestle. he’s not being aggressive, just annoying, but it’s obviously distressing to her and i am not sure how to tell her he’s not trying to kill her.

Are they hiding curled up in a corner doing a panic yowl? Its really low and gutteral, at least for our cats its a pretty universal "I ABHOR WHATEVER IS GOING ON AND I WANT OUT", normally reserved for carriers or extreme stress. Are they like hissing and its escalating to fighting and blood? No?

Probably fine then. Gotta let them work it out on their terms. Only intervene if required.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

cash crab posted:

no, it’s just her going “ooooo” with the occasional warning growl. she gave him a good smack before and i put them in separate rooms for an hour, but she is exploring a bit now.

Unless the hissing escalates and doesn't stop, you can likely not intervene directly. Hissing is their way of communicating with each other, I know its a hard response to not want to shut it down.

Even a lil swatting whatnot is fine, again as long as it isn't escalating into more.

Karia posted:

Anyone have toy suggestions that Anna can play with while I'm at work? I feel bad leaving her by herself, especially since my current place doesn't have a good view to watch for birds or whatever. I've given her a few catnip mice but she hasn't really reacted to them.

(And for the record yes I'd like to get a second cat, but since I'm moving in a couple months and Anna is still adjusting to being indoors I'd rather hold off on that for the moment.)

Echoing what others have said, I WFH, our cats get up for food, and then immediately go back to bed in our master bed most of the day. There is very little difference to them if we're around or not, outside of a midday meal. I mean, they do miss us cuz we were gone, but happy to see us when we get home kind of way.

Most cats are pretty adaptable, if your schedule changes, they'll be grumpy but get used to it.

Rawrbomb fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 19, 2024

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

floofyscorp posted:

My two are brother and sister and they still hiss and swat each other sometimes. I think it's just play at this point. They're not very cuddly so I know things are about to Go Down when one starts aggressively licking the other. Paws come up, someone gets bapped, fur flies, they chase each other around the flat and wrassle and growl and then someone presumably wins and it all calms down again and they go to sleep on the sofa next to each other.

We've got 4, 3 of which have been with each other for like 5-6~ years now. They still fight and hiss with each other, then you can find them all 4 in a cuddle puddle on the big bed.

Just like siblings (and people in general), we fight, make up and move on. Imagine your mom/dad or something coming in and shutting down every "talk" you ever had with a friend or sibling. That's what stopping hissing is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

My Spirit Otter posted:

literally as i read your guy's posts, he was scratching at my hall carpet. so i did partially waste money on the cardboard scratcher, at least he loves the ball in the tunnel lol

You can try putting scratching things where they scratch, kinda like a litter box. Our cats really love cardboard, then Sisal, and maybe they'll consider the rope rope/thistle scratchers last.

Cat Nip, once their old enough, can also help to encourage the habits by putting it on/rubbing it into the scratcher.