Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Thought I'd ask in here as well: could anyone recommend a cat-carrier backpack that can cope with two ~5kg cats?

I need one for getting the cats down 7 flights of stairs when the fire alarm goes off, and my big bulky plastic carrier is frustratingly heavy and unwieldy. This happened last night. Kitties were not happy. Fortunately was a false alarm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Vestral posted:

My cat is broken. I bought her toys, but she doesn't want to play with them. I tried a feather wand with her, she looked at me with disdain, then grabbed the string in her mouth and walked off with it. She likes string, and the wand handles. SHE LIKES CHEWING STICKS. I think my cat is a dog. Please help.

The question here is, if my cat isn't a fan of most toys, what could be a way to pass her boredom?

That sounds like 100% normal cat behaviour.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I feed my two cats half a tin of wet food each in the evening. Lately, my white floof monster Wolfgang has only been picking at his food (though he eats all his breakfast, with gusto). He licks the sauce off his dinner, nibbles it a bit, and then walks off. And then when his brother James finishes his dinner, he falls upon Wolfgang's and devours it, unless I stop him.

Any ideas for getting him to stop doing that, or getting Wolfy to finish his dinner? The vet said they were overweight, so I'm trying to be more careful about how much they're eating. It's not going to do much good for Wolfy to slim down while James balloons up...

e: also, I've just noticed that Wolfgang's right fang looks like it's got a bit missing off the end. It's shorter than the left, and blunt. No idea when that happened; they're adopted, about two years old.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Oct 29, 2015

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Tendai posted:

Can you feed them in separate rooms with a door between them to give Wolfgang more time, maybe? Either that or buy one of those fancy electronic feeders that only opens for a certain cat, but it seems like the former would be the easiest try and then if that doesn't work, try the other.

Kiska's also got a bit missing off one of her fangs, it's pretty obvious when she yawns :3:

I could give it a shot. I'm in a small apartment, so I could only really shut him in the bathroom. Not sure how happy he'd be about that, but I could try it. Thanks.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Tendai posted:

Can you feed them in separate rooms with a door between them to give Wolfgang more time, maybe? Either that or buy one of those fancy electronic feeders that only opens for a certain cat, but it seems like the former would be the easiest try and then if that doesn't work, try the other.

Kiska's also got a bit missing off one of her fangs, it's pretty obvious when she yawns :3:

Tried it now. Wolfy hated being shut in the bathroom, and I know James will hate it even more :(

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Mocha: 2001 - 2015

She Was A Good Kitty.

RIP good kitty :(

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Elpato posted:

So, I have never really been a cat person. I grew up on a ranch where we had cats all over the place, but they were all semi-wild, mouse-catching, livestock instead of real pets. However, I was out getting milk a couple days ago and found this slinking across the lot:

She didn't put up much of a fight, since she was too weak from exposure, near starvation, and a parasite in her neck I forget the name of. The vet says (after an expensive checkup and procedure) its likely she's never had a home and has been on her own for most of her eight to ten weeks of existence. :smith:

Of course my daughter fell in love with "Ellie" right away, so we're keeping this thing. I need some advice on how to get a wild(ish) kitten to accept us. Right now we are taking it slow, giving Ellie her own space to be in while we can't hold her. We are also feeding her several tiny meals a day to try to get her nutrition up. She's still pretty weak, so she mostly lays around and marvels that we have things like laps, blankets, and cat food. She hisses at us if we move too quickly toward her, and when she does get up and around, she is quick to dart under a piece of furniture. When we do pick her up though, she almost instantly switches to purring and would rather never leave a warm lap or a couch.

Is this a wild thing or just a cat thing?

What a sweet kitty!

She'll relax eventually. Just keep doing what you're doing. You can probably accelerate the process if you shell out for a Feliway diffuser, which is synthetic cat facial pheromone, and basically the cat chemical signal for "everything's cool, this is a safe area, no need to worry about anything".

Other than that, while I was getting my very skittish cats used to me and settled in, I actually made my movements fairly slow and deliberate rather than fast and jerky. I also didn't make eye contact without giving a slow blink. Cats can find staring offputting, while a slow blink means "I'm really relaxed around you/I loooove you".

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 11, 2015

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Elpato posted:

She still spends most of her time like this:

Btw, in case you didn't know, this is 100% normal for healthy cats as well. Cats love to sleep.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Evfedu posted:

Coolio, thanks for the advice, guess we dial it back until they're feeling more safe.

What everyone else has said, but also: Feliway.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Lady Gaza posted:

My mother and her partner are now retired and will be travelling the world for a while, so my girlfriend and I will be adopting their cat in January.

Are there any resources I can read for moving a cat? She knows me well as I visit a fair bit so she should be ok with us in the house. I'm just not sure how best to help her adapt to the house and the neighbour cats. She is about 8 and is a tiny little thing so am worried about her getting stressed or running away.

As always: Feliway. Heh. I should get a commission or something...

Standard cat introduction procedures apply. Keep them in a small room at first, with foot water and litter. Cats like small spaces. Give her time to get settled in and calm down, and once she's calm let her out into the rest of the house. Give her time and space if she's hiding and backing off from you.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Puppy Galaxy posted:

My cat poops in a random spot outside the litter box roughly 4 times a year. I cannot find any rhyme or reason behind this - I have a couple different types of litter I use and it never lines up with me changing it. I clean his box every 1-3 days and refresh it every 2 weeks. It doesn't line up with when its fuller than normal. He only gets one type of food. I'm reluctant to move the box as it's a rare occurrence. But I'd like him to stop. The locations he poops in are seemingly random. Has anyone experienced this?

Have you actually witnessed him taking a dump where he shouldn't, or just found evidence? I occasionally find poo where it shouldn't be, and it turned out to be because of danglers. Is he a medium/longhair? Does he get danglers?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

quote:

Danglers and bum trims
I have heard of people having their cats' bumfur trimmed by a vet, under sedation. Maybe try that, if you want to avoid violence?

For my part, Wolfgang has a dangler more or less every month. I'm just used to cleaning up the odd stray turd, or wrestling him down and snipping the offending hair off now.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

drat. Sorry so hear about your kitty :(

In poo news: this morning, Wolfgang left two separate turds out on my floor. I'm philosophical about it at this point. At least they're dry, discrete, and he points out where they are by scratching at the floor trying to bury them.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

nexus6 posted:

Ok, I scanned and searched the giant OP but couldn't find an answer to this small question: does it matter what room the litter box is in? I have a 3yr old female indoor cat. She doesn't have any problems using it - I am just not sure where in the apartment it should go.

Somewhere mess isn't an issue, or at least less of one, for stray particles of kitty litter. Mine's in my bathroom/laundry. I use flushable litter, so it's convenient to be able to pull it next to the toilet, rake out the offending lumps and flush them.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I've just noticed a little bit of blood on James' head, in front of his right ear, in that patch where there's less hair. It looks like a small scrape. Worth another trip to the vet? Can/should I treat it myself?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

:) "Oh hi Wolfgang. Why haven't you finished your breakfast?"
:catstare: *huk* *huk* *hork*
:) "Oh, a hairball, I guess that..."
:barf: BLAAAAARGH

I've never seen a cat projectile vomit before. Poor Wolfy.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Marchegiana posted:

My cats are indoor-only fat pampered assholes who still try to scratch up my couch despite my efforts. Seriously, the drat thing has a minefield of scratching posts of all shapes and consistencies around it, and slipcovers on the arms, and we've sprayed it with every sort of anti-scratch deterrent on the market- my one cat will actually make the effort to climb under the slipcovers to scratch the arms of the couch.

Just a thought: have you got horizontal scratch pads? Some cats just like scratching horizontally rather than vertically.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Marchegiana posted:

I have a horizontal, two vertical, one at an angle, and two curvy things in a variety of options from cardboard to sisal. Each cat has their own preference, but Persephone's preference is apparently the couch.

Dayum. Kitty knows what she wants, I guess...

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

My cat just spent a minute wheezing like she wanted to hack up a hairball, but nothing came out. According to my wife she did this once before last week. Otherwise she seems OK. How long should I give her to get it out? Should I take her to the vet?

One of my cats does this all the time. He doesn't hairball, he shits out pellets of hair. Has your cat hairballed before?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Considering the number of cats in shelters I think getting a "purebred" cat is kind of insane.

^this. There are so many perfectly affectionate, loveable cats in need of a home that - unless you have an extremely compelling reason - you shouldn't get a purebred.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Thunder Moose posted:

I am thinking of getting a rescue cat in the near future - any advise on what to get/look for? Should I aim for a younger or older cat as a first timer?
Older, definitely. There's desperate need of homes for older cats. Younger cats and get adopted like hotcakes because everybody loves cute kittens, while older kitties often languish in shelters for years. Then there's older cats who lived with families for most of their lives and then had to be given up for adoption for one reason or another, who are usually very grateful when taken in again and provided with love.

If you'd consider adopting more than one cat, look for paired cats (such as siblings). Cat pairs are even harder to adopt out than single adult cats, and these are pairs that are close enough to be inseparable, so they also sit in foster care or shelters for ages.

As for cat maintenance issues... I don't really think there's much difference. The younger the cat the more likely they're going to want to play and need exercise, and the older the more likely they'll just want to cuddle and chill (or just chill by themselves), so in that respect a younger cat would be more demanding. Cats are pretty low maintenance really.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Sypher posted:

I have been thinking about getting a cat for awhile now. An old co-worker of mine is currently fostering a 2 year old cat. The cat is getting spayed on Friday. Once the cat is feeling up to it, I am going to be going over there to meet her and decide if we are a good match.

As a first time cat owner, is there anything in particular I should be asking? I figure knowing the cats preference for litter/food is a good start. Anything else I should be asking?

I am planning on moving to a new apartment in 2-3 months. Would this many relocates be traumatic to a cat?

And here are the pictures she sent me:

friggin adorable

Aww, what a cute cat! And good on you taking in a young adult rather than a tiny kitten. A bit surprised she's only being spayed now, they usually get spayed as kittens.

I can't think of anything to ask, but I wouldn't worry about relocates traumatising the cat. She'll might hide for a bit, but she'll get over it eventually. Start with confining her to one smaller room, like a laundry or bathroom, with her food and water and litter. Once she's settled in and comfortable around you, let her out to the rest of the place. Cats like small spaces, it makes them feel secure.

And, as always, if you want to absolutely maximise kitty happiness then shell out for some Feliway.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I think the cat is more likely to be worried about the strange new human and being away from the humans she knows than about being in a new house, for what it's worth.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I'm going to shave my cat. He gets matts in his fur all the time, and today I had a disastrous runny-poos-stuck-to-bumfur scenario.

Any particular pointers? As far as I understand, it's just a case of "subdue cat, shave, wash oil off with cat shampoo". He's not compliant when wrestled down, but not bitey or clawy, just wanting to get away. I've had some success so far sort of wrapping my legs around his torso to hold him down, using my left hand to move his tail out the way and my right to trim the fur, though that was for bum maintenance.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

When you say "apparently no chip", does that mean you've taken kitty to a vet to scan for one, or just looked for one yourself? It's not always possible to find them without a scanner, as far as I know.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

toe knee hand posted:

RIP Hyperlynx.

For what it's worth: I didn't die, but my clippers aren't good enough to get through the fur other than in teeny weeny quantities, so I switched to scissors. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb2bq5Wjxto

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

demota posted:

I adopted an older cat to serve as a mom for my kitten, except the older cat growls at the little one. I tried introducing them by scent through closed doors for like a week. She's okay through closed doors and even visual range, but my idiot of a kitten keeps trying to charge her to play, and she will have none of it. The growling discourages him for a while, but within a few minutes, he'll try to wrestle her and she smacks him and hisses. This never actually drives him away for more than a couple minutes. They just had an altercation where he jumped on her and they rolled around for a while before the kitten ditched.

I keep hearing about how growling and hissing and swatting is normal for cat introductions, but I'm afraid that the kitten might get hurt given the size difference

I have the option to return the older cat to the shelter, and if she's really going to be unhappy here, that might be the best option.

I tried to do site-swapping once, but the older cat just got scared and wouldn't leave a hiding space, so she wasn't going around the house and picking up the little one's scent. :sigh:

Feliway.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Deteriorata posted:

Your cat is a cat. They are largely solitary animals. Don't anthropomorphize him.

That's not actually true, though. Feral cats form social colonies all the time. There's also the fact that pet cats need mental stimulation and play, and that can come from playing with another cat just as easily as a human.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I've just spotted a wound of some kind on the right ear of one my cats, James. I think his brother might have been playing too rough.

It's near where the ear meets the head. I think it's a scrape. There's some fur missing and a bit of blood. He doesn't seem too bothered by it. I've tried to take some photos but my camera's too crappy and blurry.

I guess I just leave him to heal on his own, right? It's not a serious wound. Anything I can/should do to help?

Meanwhile Wolfgang opened a nice cut on my hand earlier today when I was trying to brush his buttregion, so I guess he's just doing damage today.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

James has another scrape on his ear (or it's reopened) and I see three parallel lines in the fur on his other ear, so I think the boys have been playing rough again.

I didn't do anything about it last time, and it still doesn't seem to have bothered him in the slightest, so I guess I'm cool with it. Just double checking that there isn't some horrible risk of infection and his ear falls off or some other kind of horrible consequence?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Organza Quiz posted:

All open wounds have a risk of infection. I guess keep an eye on it? Get some disinfectant that you can use for it when it happens? Are Wolfgang's claws clipped?

Hm. I'll keep an eye on it. No, they're not. Maybe I'll go to the vet and see if I can get some cat-friendly disinfectant, unless there's human disinfectant I could use. I wonder if vinegar would work...

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I'd totally vinegar myself. If a cursory google after I posted hadn't indicated that it's poo poo for wound care, that is.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Cythereal posted:

Also, outdoor cats have a habit of devastating local rodent and bird populations. Cats are efficient predators and are known to kill simply for fun and not for food.

This is the main problem with cats in Australia, because feral cats have no predators here and most of the native wildlife is not very good at evading predators overall.

The thing about keeping cats inside vs not keeping them inside depending on region is: there are risks if you let them outside which vary depending on where you are. However, it's always harmless to keep them inside, regardless of region. They're cats. They're the same all around the world. Just get 'em a cat tree and/or shelves to jump on. Kitties can always go upwards if you don't have much area for them to go sideways in.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 15, 2016

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Puppy Galaxy posted:

My cat's mats are out of control. I've been trying to stay on top of them and have had some success, but he recently got two huge ones in his neck area that I cannot brush out. And I think I was too aggressive trying to pull one apart and ripped out a big chunk and now some of his skin is showing. Might be irritated, it's tough to tell. Gonna try and bring him to the vet tomorrow, hopefully they can give me some guidance on how to deal with mats in the future and maybe shave out the super tight ones.

I feel like I'm gonna have to start bringing this stupid cat to groomers regularly or something. He's not even something cool like Maine Coon, just a long haired rear end in a top hat.

When my cat mats I cut them off with scissors. Some people say "don't do that, it's easy to cut the skin", though in my case it's always been easy to tell where the skin is.

They also make tools specifically for cutting apart mats, so you could try that. I don't have any experience with them myself.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Blackchamber posted:

man this is tough. I feel bad reading the stories about where these cats are coming from, or how long they've been waiting to be adopted, lots of sob stories that make me want to adopt all of them. Of course I can't,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP4NMoJcFd4

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

dopaMEAN posted:

I know this is a bit old, but:

My cat had to go on steroids and I was having a really hard time pilling him twice daily. I'm pregnant and full of hormones and felt like I was an evil monster every single time. In the past he found pills every single time I tried sneaking them into food.

My husband made me try treats more, even though they never worked, and after a few iterations we got a solution:

Sink the pill into a soft treat- doesn't matter what kind, but as small as can possibly accommodate the pill. Put some spray-cheese on a paper towel and pick up a small amount on your forefinger. Apply a very thin film of cheese so that the pill is just covered, but not so much that the treat is hard to pick up all at once.

Bam. The unpillable cat is now taking meds twice a day like a champ!

If that doesn't work, keep a syringe of water with you while you restrain the cat, then shoot ~1ml of water into the mouth after the pill to encourage the cat to swallow more reliably.
We did this with my old kitty Amber, who had to take medication every day. The procedure was to embed it in some cottage cheese. At or near the appointed times, she would actually run to the kitchen and vocally demand her tablet.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Megadyptes posted:

things you learn after decades of cat ownership and not paying attention to what the stupid things do.

If she'd actually pulled her claw out, there would have been blood everywhere. It would be like pulling off your whole fingernail with pliers.

Yeesh. Now I have the heebie jeebies.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Hey cat thread.

I'm planning to go on holiday in about two months, for 10 days. I'd like to get someone to come take care of my cats while I'm away. It's an easy job: dry food, water, scoop poos into toilet, done. They're scared of strangers and can happily keep themselves amused, so they probably wouldn't interact with their caretaker.

I was thinking of putting up ads in my apartment. I figured people would be happy to do it because it's convenient. Then I started thinking that I'm contemplating relying on a total stranger to ensure my furry buddies don't die while I'm away and got cold feet about the idea.

Am I being silly, or is it actually a dumb idea? How can I suss out how trustworthy prospective caretakers are? Is anyone going to even consider it for $100AUD?

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 9, 2016

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Puppy Galaxy posted:

If you're willing to spend some money (and you don't have any friends that would do it) just hire a pro pet sitter, that way you probably won't get robbed.

Pros start at twice as much. I'll probably just bite the bullet though.

That said, I've just had another idea and I want to see if it's actually a dumb one: I could get an automatic feeder, an automatic waterer, and put out a ton of kitty litter. That would work for ten days, wouldn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Deteriorata posted:

If any of your neighbors has kids, hire them. If they're pre-teen, their parents will usually supervise so it should work out.
My next-door neighbours have a small child, as it happens. I don't know them beyond one or two brief conversations, and while I think I'd trust them I don't really feel comfortable asking a favour like this of them. Especially with a toddler (I think?) to look after.

duckfarts posted:

If you have an IP camera you can check on watching the food area and a friend who can come over when you need them to, maybe. That said, I'd be more worried about the litter box going off and other parts of your home getting pissed on as a result. It's best to have someone pop in every other day or so to check on them.

That's really not a bad idea.

Basically, I'm thinking that if it's going to cost me several hundred bucks to get the cats looked after for this one trip, I might as well spend that kind of money on automatic cat devices I can use for the next trips too.

If I do end up trying to automate things, I'm going to do a trial run first. I've got enough time. I can also test out the stankitude of two litter boxes very full of litter over ten days.

SynthOrange posted:

Get a kiddie pool, fill with cat litter.
Haha. This is not out of the question.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Mar 10, 2016