Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

pidan posted:

She also turns on the electric stove with her little feet, guess I shouldn't have got a touch screen.

I have a gas stove and my maniacal cat managed to turn one of the dials on while jumping down from it. Luckily I was nearby and noticed the hissing a few seconds later. If it's any consolation, after a good eight months or so he greatly reduced the frequency of jumping on the kitchen counters and walking over the stovetop.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

B33rChiller posted:

We (me, my wife, and 3.5yo daughter) have a grumpy 12 or 13 yo female ... We crossed our fingers that a kitten might get the old cat moving around a bit more.
Haha should have asked us, I could have told you from personal experience that wasn't going to happen.

Eh, my older cat is nearly 15 and when we got a second approximately 2-year-old (with the maturity of a kitten; guess which one is the maniac described above) they almost immediately started playing together. Mostly the older one flops on his back and tries to kick the youngster in the face, then whines when maniac gets bored. Then again, the elder was already pretty playful to begin with - at least for the 3-4 hours a day that he's fully awake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Shroomie posted:

Anyway, I went ahead and ordered the Pro Plan urinary health food (wet and dry). Is there any reason I shouldn't feed it to my other cat too? Putting them on different diets seems... Complicated.

I feed my cats different wet food four times a day (renal recipe for one) and it's a nuisance keeping them away from each other's food but not that difficult. I'm skeptical about prescription foods - they are both expensive and have a lot of low-quality filler ingredients* so I don't think it's a good idea to feed them to healthy cats.

* supposedly for renal recipes this is to give them small quantities of high quality proteins like liver to avoid overwhelming their kidneys. I guess the fillers are there for calories rather than nutrition, but then why is the food so drat expensive? There are plenty of wet foods with liver as a main ingredient without grain and vegetable fillers.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Jayne Doe posted:

The scoundrel in action:

(She couldn't figure out how to get down and eventually just meowed until I stopped laughing and retrieved her)

I've spotted your problem: tuxedo cats are adorable but also 100% total dickheads. Mine took about 6 months to get bored of jumping onto the top of the TV unit (about 5'); I think it was a combination of removing anything that can be easily knocked off, moving chairs that made it easier to jump onto, and him making a few failed attempts to jump straight onto it from the ground.

joebuddah posted:

Our cat Sophie, was really sick a few months ago. I had to syringe feed her food from the vet. She's back to about 90%.
Any way since she has gotten better, she has started grooming me at night when we goto bed. ( Licking my head and hair)
I realize she's being sweet and showing affection. But it kinda weirds me out. Is there a nice way I can get her to stop

My other senior cat does this (in bed but also by sitting on top of the back of the couch) and it doesn't take much to get him to stop - just a gentle nudge - but mostly I just tolerate it.

However, he also graduated to curling up and sleeping either between pillows or on my wife's pillow above her head, so, uh...

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 17, 2020

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

:nws: that paw fluff or trim it.

I've used three different kinds of litter in the last while: Tidy Cats Free & Clean is pretty good and virtually dust-free, but doesn't dry efficiently and forms lots of little clumps that fall through most scoopers. Fresh Step Ultra is probably the best at clumping and drying, but it's dusty and tracks more. Naturally Fresh Walnut Litter works surprisingly well and seemed to be the longest-lasting and most cost-effective, but it also tracks and is extremely dusty despite the claims of no silicate dust (I mean what do I care if it's fiber or cellulose or some poo poo, it still deposits fine brown particles everywhere). I'm not really fully satisfied with any of them but not sure what I could try next.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

One of my cat looks much like this and he absolutely hates brushing and combing. Any suggestions on how to get around this? He's old and his self-grooming is basically useless, if not counterproductive. He will just pull out tufts of belly fur and eat them if unsupervised, only to hack them up later.

I can trim excess paw fur and pants while he sleeps, but he wakes up easily so that doesn't solve the combing issue. He is slightly more tolerant of slicker brushes, but they only get rid of loose fur that I can just as easily collect by petting him with damp hands (fun, fun). De-shedders like the Furminator are useless and he hates them anyway. This style of comb is the only that works to keep his fur from sticking together and matting, but again, he really hates it. If I catch him unaware and am careful to pull slowly so it doesn't tug hard, he'll maybe allow 10 seconds before starting to squirm or trying to jump away. Cuffing the back of his neck doesn't do a whole lot. I give him treats afterwards but he eats them warily and almost spitefully.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

InvisibleMonkey posted:

have you tried those silicone grooming gloves? Our medium-hair cat was suspicious at first but now she hops on your lap as soon as you grab it, it's like a massage and she loves it. We also have a slicker brush and the furminator, but those are only necessary if she's shedding her winter-coat, and even then she only tolerates those.

No, I haven't. Are they any good at de-tangling? That's the main thing I'm after; picking up loose hairs is secondary.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Step 1: Spray Feliway on your carrier and the blankets/pads inside.
Step 2: Repeat step 1 for the rest of your cat's life if step 1 works (apparently some cats don't care for it; all three of mine do and most of my parents' have).

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 16, 2020

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

There Bias Two posted:

How does world's best compare to Dr. Elsey's? Can any users weigh in? It seems substantially more expensive by weight, but does it actually last longer?

I think World's Best - well, the red unscented multi-cat at least - lasts longer than any clay litter I've tried (Dr. Elsey's a couple of times, Fresh Step, Tidy Cats). That's not really the draw for me, though - it track less and is somewhat less dusty than clay litters. I do sometimes mix it with 1/3 clay litter to help with absorbency, which isn't normally a problem except if your cats like to randomly gently caress off out of the litterbox and leave an uncovered piss puddle behind, or if they're morons who paw at the sides of the litterbox instead of at the actual litter.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Asking someone to take care of a cat (let alone five) without at least showing them where everything is - in person or via video - already sounds rather negligent.

Having said that, if you've already abducted three cats who aren't getting along in one room, can't you put one of them back in the now-empty cage, leave another in the room where the cages are (outside of the cages), and the last in your spare room?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'm nearly out of Nature's Miracle, and
I remember people here saying it's been reformulated and doesn't work anymore. What recommended brand is a better alternative?

Bissel has some comparable enzymatic cleaners, if that's what you mean.

Relatedly, any recommendations for UV flashlights? I got this one, which is as bright as advertised, but it seemed better at showing vomit stains than urine (yes, I wish I didn't have to hunt for either) and it wasn't that cheap either.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 11, 2022

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Savings Clown posted:

Hello cat thread, I have just moved from the UK to Toronto and I'm looking to find out where you Canadians get your cat food. Previously I would use zooplus.co.uk and would get an 85g pouch of pretty decent food (Royal Canin, Rosie's Farm, etc) for about 80p ($1.25 CAD). Those specific brands seem to be mega expensive or don't exist over here. Where should I be looking?

Pet food is generally more expensive in Canada than the US, even for Canadian brands, and online retail sucks. If your cat(s) are fussy and you don't find what you're looking for in big grocery store/pet chains, try Global Pet Foods - they have more selection (albeit at a premium). Also, depending on how much you go through daily, you can get up to 12oz cans.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

My oldass cat (just turned 17) started getting frequent diarrhea and vomiting and likely has lymphoma. He didn't respond to steroids alone (they seem to help with vomiting but not diarrhea), so he's on an antibiotic (metronidazole) indefinitely and it seems to be controlling his symptoms at least. He's more or less behaving normally other than occasionally stepping in soft stool when turning around to cover his poop and ughhh no matter how much it stinks I'd honestly prefer if he just jumped right out of the litterbox without trying to cover it.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

My younger cat was fully grown when we got him (maybe 2 years old?) and totally food obsessed. He'd climb anywhere and eat anything and inhaled food so quickly he barfed it back up half the time. Now 3 years later he's picky instead and only rarely forages on kitchen counters.

One thing that vaguely helped was 'frustration'/slow food bowls that make them work to get at their food, although they can cause whisker stress.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

My older gentleman was 14 when we got him a 2-3? year old brother and they get along fine. Actually the older one pretends to be indifferent but often begs to play even though he gets his rear end kicked every time and complains about getting his belly fur nipped.

Having said that, they were both reported as getting along well with other cats at the shelter, so that definitely helps.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I see a lot of websites discussing feeding cats once or twice per day (like the first google hit at Cornell's Feline Health Center), which seems like madness. The only times my cats will eat just twice per day is if I'm out of the house most of the day (I leave dry food but they don't usually eat much of it and presumably just sleep). Is there any research at all that cats prefer to eat large meals infrequently, or that it does them any good? Most sources I've seen that bother to cite research (like this one) say the exact opposite, and that most wild cats eats frequent, small meals.

e: as I mentioned before, my formerly stray food-vacuuming cat used to eat anything, anytime, anywhere, and gradually transitioned to being finicky as he aged from ?2? years to 5-ish. YMMV, of course.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 20, 2022

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

xzzy posted:

Set meals serve no purpose but to limit calorie intake and make life a little easier for us humans. If you keep their bowl full of kibble there's no way to regulate how much they eat (unless you get into auto feeders). Cats adjust to a set routine well so that's why we do it.

That's not really what I meant - I was talking about feeding, say 4-6 times per day (mostly wet food) vs just twice. It might be harder to establish a schedule with more frequent feeding and some cats just might not want to eat that often but I don't see why it shouldn't be encouraged if you can.

explosivo posted:

...she really only wants "fresh" food (or food that I go through great lengths to convince her is fresh) so normally if I try to give her stuff later on that she didn't finish she'll paw at the floor around it to "bury" it and walk away most times.

Do you just leave food out or put it in the fridge? Wet food shouldn't stay out at room temperature more than a few hours (some sources say 2, others up to 4). Some cats don't mind eating refrigerated food cold, but others prefer it microwaved or at least left out long enough to return to room temperature.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

You should probably get your cat used to going to a vet regardless - if not travelling to one, then having a home visit if that's a thing in Sweden.

The US is fairly permissive for pet travel - pets can fly in cabins throughout most of North America (in fact some airlines don't allow them in cargo, whereas many other countries require travel in cargo). There are no national requirements for quarantine or vaccination. However, some states do require proof of rabies vaccination. Having said that, the last time I flew with my cats to one such state the CBP agent didn't ask for them (YMMV, obviously). Still, you should at least get him a rabies vaccine, but if you absolute can't, you could as a last resort fly to a state that doesn't have any vaccine requirements. I don't see a way around getting your cat used to carriers, though, as you're looking at a minimum 8h flight and while cargo crates are roomier, they're otherwise going to be less pleasant for the cat, assuming they're an option at all.

Cat carriers generally have to fit under your seat unless Swedish airlines have some special rules, so the one you posted a picture of is probably not going to work. And you'll likely have to get your cat out of the carrier at least once to pass through security.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Wedgewood sucks rear end, everything about their catalog, website and ordering process is crap. The only good thing is that it's relatively easy to get a rep on the phone. Last summer they sent me a letter that there may have been an issue with the storage of medicine shipped on <date 4+ months in the past, long after we'd used it all>. Thanks?

Having said that, I'm still using them for compounded meds that my vet can't/won't dispense (even though they seem to use Wedgewood for most things anyway) - methimazole (oral suspension) that my cat doesn't mind the taste/smell of. I'd try Chewy next if I needed to switch.

Relatedly, I have to get saline solution for the same elderly gentleman and my vet is charging $50 for a 1L kit with line and needles, which seems obscene when Chewy and other online sellers charge $10 for a 1L bag. Granted, the needles and line aren't free, but they're not $40. If anyone knows of a better source in the US, do tell. I'll probably try Chewy, although they seem to require mailing a physical prescription form to Kansas (??? it's freaking saline solution, not a highly controlled substance).

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

My vet doesn't respond to prescription authorization requests from Chewy or other online retailers anymore (yes I know it's bullshit, no I can't do anything about it), so all I can do is request written prescriptions. For whatever reason, Chewy won't accept a scanned prescription for this particular item (Normosol-R), unlike for Rx foods. It's just slightly salty water with electrolytes, not some narcotic.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

My younger cat likes playing soccer with little balls made out of his own undercoat. Well, I guess you can argue which sport it is but I'd say cats can't get called for hand ball.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Gorgolflox posted:

Could use some food advice for my poor sick cat, Toshiro (18/M). He has hyperthyroidism, tooth re absorption, and his kidney levels are stable but not where they should be. I have him on medication for the thyroid, pain medication, and I give him fluids (sodium chloride) twice a week. He stopped eating chicken flavored anything, seems he prefers salmon and whitefish now. So I've been giving him pate mixed with water and he eats it but he is a grazer and I can't leave it out so when I am sleeping or at work he doesn't eat. He also does not let me know when he is hungry so I have to get the bowl out of the fridge every now and again.

My similarly-ill 17-year-old (trade tooth reabsorption for IBD) responded well to cyproheptadine when he needed appetite enhancing (as effika suggested). Otherwise, there's not much getting around having to be fed seemingly a dozen+ times per day. I've tried a few things when he's being picky - sprinkling crushed treats on top (use a pill crusher), and mixing/topping prescription food with something he likes better. Non-scientific options I've tried include Weruva pureed foods that have high moisture content (easier to eat and possibly better if your cat doesn't drink enough water, but they're also like half as calorie-dense as typical pates so ask your vet for advice). I accidentally got a Polynesian BBQ flavour that neither of my cats wanted to touch but it was super fishy if that's what your boy's after. Unfortunately I don't have suggestions for dry food; my senior eats Royal Canin Renal Support A at night (seems to prefer it to wet food only then, go figure) and the younger one only occasionally steals a bite before he remembers he doesn't like kibble anymore.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Deteriorata posted:

Enzymatic cleaners will break down these marker chemicals quickly and gently to protect fabrics and finishes, so the cat does not come back to renew their mark.

Man, I wish this were true. You haven't met my cat and his foul piss.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

redleader posted:

does anyone have any recommendations for a carpet spot cleaner? preferably available in au/nz. i have a bissel stain eraser pet and: it loving sucks. annoying to use, and it's battery powered so has really poor suction

I have a Hoover CleanSlate. Dunno if you can find it there but it works reasonably well. Probably most corded models will do better.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hyperlynx posted:

Wolfgang update:

Doing just fine!

I definitely want to brush away the crud from his eye.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Cats can fly in the cabin in North America, and are mostly going to be fine with it if they don't have any heart issues (check with your vet first). They also need to go through security, so it helps if you can hold your cat for ~30 seconds without them freaking out while the carrier goes through the scanner. I don't know if airlines will let you take two on one ticket since they have to go under the seat in front of you.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

It depends on what your cats like - do they care for fish (mine don't), shredded meat or pates, etc?

I consult catfooddb occasionally, besides just reading the ingredients list. I started with Instinct Grain-Free* but my hungrier cat got bored/tired of it and I had to switch to American Journey, which is Chewy's new-ish in-house brand. The 12.5 oz chicken/turkey pate cans are currently $0.31/oz, which is as cheap as it gets for mostly filler-free food. I am a little skeptical partly because the last batch I got had noticeably off texture in the turkey flavour cans and the aforementioned hungry cat wouldn't even touch them. Chewy did refund those cans, but I wonder if they're trying to undercut other brands and then slowly cheap out on ingredients/quality control once it's more established.

Anyway, other options - Fancy Feast Naturals (has a bit of fish, but doesn't have fillers unlike most other fancy feast stuff) is currently slightly cheaper on Amazon but also available on Chewy. Tiki Cat is more known for shredded meat/fish food but they do have some pates (see the After Dark line) that are harder to find and more expensive. There are seemingly infinitely many more options for yet more expensive quality grain- and root vegetable-free pates. I've tried some Rawz pates, for example, and my cats usually but not always like them. They specifically do not sell through Chewy/Petsmart/Amazon as a matter of principle, though.

* It is grain-free but has peas, carrots, pumpkin and other useless-for-cats filler.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 17, 2023

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

MrYenko posted:

One of ours is a master of tonguing the thing and spitting it out later, so you have to give him a choice between swallowing and breathing.

This is the thing that gets me. All of the videos online show these loving docile cats just sitting motionless and letting people hold their jaws open for perfect placement, then swallowing right away. My older cat resists having his jaw opened and will do anything he can to push away/bite down on a pill shooter (and my fingers), so that's a no go. I basically have to drop it straight down the hatch as far back as I can and then close his mouth immediately so he doesn't push it right back to the side or out. The other cat doesn't resist as much but avoids swallowing afterwards as long as he can and will bolt away at the first opportunity and try to hack up the pill. They also both semi-consciously move their tongues out so it's harder to get the pill at the back of the throat in the first place.

One thing I saw suggested was that cats can choke on pills if they stick to their throats and start dissolving there. That hasn't really happened to me but the vet in this video recommended using a small syringe filled with water to help it down. I have not found this to be necessary and also by the time I drop the pill they're already wriggling away and getting the water in would be another challenge. Plus I worry about them choking on the water.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I took my 12-year-old cat to the urgent care vet because he was vomiting immediately after eating for over 24 hours and I was getting worried about him having enough nutrition. They gave him fluids and said he was doing okay, sending him home with FortiFlora probiotic supplements and Cerenia tablets for anti-nausea. I'd like to keep him on the probiotic long-term but it's on the expensive side. Several cheaper probiotics for cats and dogs are advertised on Amazon - does anyone have experience with these?

I'm skeptical of pet probiotics, though the cat I gave them to regularly had so many health issues it was virtually impossible to tell if they helped (they didn't seem to, anyway). But for what it's worth:

- This generally fussy cat liked FortiFlora at first. After I finished the first box, I ordered a second off Amazon and he refused to touch it. There are lots of similar reviews on Amazon suggesting they don't store probiotics properly, so based on that I'd recommend against buying anything from Amazon.
- I switched to Proviable-DC. It's not any cheaper but supposedly better in that it has a wider variety of bacteria instead of just one strain. I never tried opening the capsules, I just pilled him, so I'm not sure if it's palatable enough to sprinkle on food. I gave it to him for months and didn't notice any particular adverse effects, but again it's hard to tell.
- I tried Purina Calming Care with my other cat based on vet advice and he vomited twice the day after eating the first packet, so I'm hesitant to even try giving him another.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Relatedly, my cat on two separate occasions managed to turn on the gas while jumping onto (or off of? nobody was home) the stove, so I recommend getting knob covers for when it's not in use. I don't know if he's dimwitted enough to activate and step onto an electric element but better not find out.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I am at my wit's end with my cat peeing on couches. We got a very nice brand new couch and after sleeping and lounging on it peacefully for the first two days he has now peed on it twice in a week. We were at least wise enough to get the generous protection plan but I'm afraid we'll have to return it now because we know he won't stop and it's too big to cover practically. Just now before peeing he was sitting on my lap (in a chair) for nearly an hour until I went to go to bed, which is quite unusual because he's not a self-taught lap cat and needed encouragement.

Relevant background:

- approx 6 years old (had him for 4+ years)
- no inappropriate urination for the first 2 years, he was just a maniac who inhaled food and jumped straight onto 5 foot tall bookshelves and had incurable zoomies. Has calmed down with agre.
- has also peed on beds but not in the last ~year.
- had no couch peeing incidents until this week for the last... 4 months? Mainly because we didn't have a couch. But he also didn't pee on my parents' futon despite numerous opportunities.
- he is anxious and easily scared and so is on prozac. Mostly fine now because there's nothing much around to surprise him.
- has been an only cat since his older bro died 4 months ago. Seems fine with it, they got along but weren't bonded. Again, did not pee inappropriately for several months even though we essentially moved twice in that time frame, so he had some stressors.
- multiple vet visits and none ever revealed any urinary issues. He does poop infrequently (every 2-3 days) and so gets laxatives when needed, but the vets had no other suggestions for that.
- maybe some allergies developing as we noticed his hair thinning on his brow and around his ears, but that's fairly new.

I tried putting a litter box next to the couch after the first incident (in addition to the two other litterboxes he has to himself now) and he used it three times, but not the fourth, obviously.

I've read all of the literature I could find on this topic and am at a loss. Some mentioned that cats like heights and soft materials but this couch is lower than any of the other pieces of furniture he hasn't peed on despite opportunities. My only remaining theory is that he cannot abide furniture with creases, because he prefers to pee around the crack between seat cushions. The futon he has never peed on is a single folded mattress so I guess it's no good as a litterbox?? He also has an aversion to chairs and avoids even jumping on them (think Ikea Poangs and office chairs too).

At this point all I can think of is to get a cat behavioralist/exorcist. I guess I could try raising one litterbox but the height issue seems unlikely to be the cause. Restricting access at night is possible but we'd have to put a tall gate and block off half the apartment for him to keep him out of the living area. A fabric he refuses to step on? An orange-scented military grade waterproof futon?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

My cat peed on my couches when I first got her, I got couch covers and she never did it again. I’m sure you don’t want to put covers on your brand new couch, but I’m hooked on them now because I can just pull them off and throw them in the washer anytime something spills. Couches should all come with [edit: easily] removable covers imo.

He pees on couch covers too. This new one, the upholstery is water-resistant but there are sections of softer black fabric at the backs of the cushion covers and the part of the frame under the cushions so if anything seeps through it's not going to be feasible to clean (orange enzyme cleaner diminishes the smell but doesn't remove it entirely, I have a pet wet vac and it's not powerful enough either).

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Are there services you can contract that will move pets for you long distance like that? I handled everything myself and it still feels like an experience I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

For transpacific flights to Australia at least, most airlines I contacted (this was pre-COVID) required that you use a pet transport service and would not let individuals book pet carriage. Air Canada and Qantas were the exceptions I found.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I think you have a maneki neko.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Chronojam posted:

I snapped my fingers by the opening and the cat climbed inside to poop.

Are you a litter genie?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

My cat only poops once every 2-3 days and they're always very dry but yeah, I was told there's nothing identifiably wrong and to just give miralax, which he doesn't mind mixed in with food.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I've flown with three different cats and while they were all fine in the end (even trans-Pacific with a senior), the last time I had one cat panting in the car on the way to the airport and the other was very agitated and had a solid meowing session every 10-15 minutes. The latter cat has also gotten less chill about being in a carrier and going to the vet, unfortunately, and even 100mg of gabapentin isn't enough to calm him down so we figure he's better off without it now...

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

A vet from Guelph, Ontario was able to get get approval to import remdesivir from the UK to treat cats with FIP, and will help other vets do the same so Canadians don't have to buy black market drugs to treat an easily curable disease.

This story remains incredibly stupid for many reasons but it's good news for Canadian cat owners and maybe Americans close enough to the border until this fuckup is resolved.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

My current cat has way stinkier pee than any cats I had before but it's only strong enough to waft out of the room if he doesn't cover it properly. So, do they cover?

Also:
- how many litter boxes do you have? One isn't enough for two kittens.
- get a UV flashlight if you suspect pee outside of the box(es)
- air purifiers can help and are good for plenty of other reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Well you can try a couple more times but if it's not a prescription diet I'd say it's a waste of time and energy trying to get cats to eat food they don't like.

e: from experience with finicky cats, if they suddenly stop eating a food they liked before they might start eating it again after a break, or it might be a change in the recipe and they never touch it again. But if they don't like it from the start, there's probably not much hope.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 28, 2024